wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
2010-2014, here's what you've got:

- New FantasyLand in the Magic Kingdom
- Revival of Captain EO in EpCot
- Art of Animation completed
- MagicBands and New Fastpass system

Nothing else comes to the top of my head. How again is that less stagnant than 1984-1989, when a water park was built alongside Hollywood Studios?

Heres what I see, and Im basing this off enjoyment I get in the parks:

- New FantasyLand in the Magic Kingdom - A cloned attraction, M&G's, restaurant, and a decent D ticket

- Revival of Captain EO in EpCot - They opened an old attraction

- Art of Animation completed - A nice value resort (helps the parks in no way whatsoever though)

- MagicBands and New Fastpass system - A temperamental system that some like, some dont, but one things for sure. It has put a severe strain on the budget which in turn has prevented your list from having anything above the D-ticket previously mentioned. When was the last E ticket in MK built?..., ya, like 20 years ago.

While all these items are progress, its a weak list. With the exception of the New FantasyLand, the other three have little to no appeal for most people as far as enjoyment in the parks go. Why do people cite the MB's and FP+ as some type of attraction? For every person that likes it, theres a person who has a nightmare story of what happened to them with it. Its a financial blunder and the finances used for it could have done wonders for the parks if the money had been used to actually help out attraction capacity and not just cut the pie in a different shape. Meanwhile, up the street...

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
The problem though is the absolutely false idea that "one step forward, two steps back" is forward movement as though that one step can account for any and all steps back.
What was that Paula Abdul song? "I take two steps forward, I take two steps back.." Disney should just pipe that song through the halls of TDO offices. (if theyre not already)

ETA: I wonder if Emilio Estevez had anything to do with why she wrote that song?

Ranch Dressing

I actually enjoy HE, in the Universal thread defending it as an E ticket. But that's under near ideal circumstances. It's the difference between reviewing Cali Grill during a comped lifestyler whorefest and reviewing it when you make an ADR and show up under an anonymous name on a random Friday night.

If HE is an E-Ticket then Seven Dwarfs is. I've been on it four times, its nice but its no E-Ticket. DA is far more impressive than HE.

yoyoflamingo

Well. All the side of the way dining options (Tortuga Tavern, Tomorrowland Tavern, Columbia Harbour House, Pinoccios Village Haus) close early or operate seasonally. Then you are stuck with Cosmic Rays or Pecos Bill's.

So there's variety but simply on paper.

This was my issue the other night. Was in Florida for an interview, and headed to the Magic Kingdom the night before. Didn't get there until almost 10PM due to luggage issues, but 2 hours before the park closed, the only places open were the ones you said, plus Sleepy Hollow and Casey's Corner, according to the MDE app. I would have loved Columbia Harbor House, or even a waffle sandwich but it was also during the castle show and there was no way I was fighting my way through the crowd for that, so I was practically forced to eat at Pecos. If the park is open until 12, then keep your dining open as well!

SJN1279

Technically you could include

The Space Mountain debacle
Hall of Presidents
Star Tours 2
Mermaid ride
Dwarf Coaster
Test Track 2
Festival of Fantasy (but you'd have to remove BPB, CTF and DAKs JJP for fairness)

- as in new or substantially altered attractions from previous versions and not a traditional regular refurbishment (remember them?)

I'd do a comprehensive list of park only additions between 1984-1988 or 1985-1989, whichever is requested, but it'd be embarrassing for someone.

List all the new or upgraded rides that Disney created from 1984 to 1989.

SJN1279

I can answer my own question no new or upgraded rides in the Magic Kingdom from 1980 to 1992. Epcot had the awful living seas and the sickening BodyWars in the late 80's.

MerlinTheGoat

List all the new or upgraded rides that Disney created from 1984 to 1989.
Maelstrom
Spaceship Earth (Walter Cronkite rendition)
Great Movie Ride
Backlot Tour (which was far greater back then than it is now)

There's something to be said about quality as well as quantity in regards to the attractions built during the 80's. Great Movie Ride alone is among the last of its kind in regards to Disney World- a real and completely original (and not a clone) Disney quality E ticket that broke major new ground and set the bar ever higher in regards to theme park rides.

EPCOT at the time was still fresh and new, even upon opening it was pack full of super high quality attractions. Even moreso within the 2 years after opening with Horizons and Imagination. There wasn't as dire of a need for updating during those years because the park felt like a full experience on its own. Though there was still plenty of room to add more stuff and they actually did so within those years, though on a somewhat lesser scale. I personally find even the unquestionably too short and somewhat flawed Maelstrom for example to be superior to any of the New Fantasyland rides or anything new built at Disney World after the new century.

EDIT- oh you were referring to MK. Carry on then. You should probably at least include the other parks though as they were getting major upgrades of their own.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom