The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

The Empress Lilly

List all the new or upgraded rides that Disney created from 1984 to 1989.
That would've been more succesful if it had been 1983 after Horizons to summer 1988. From June 1988 to 1989 a whole land opened in the MK, a new country in WS, a new pavilion in FW, and an entire new theme park, waterpark and nighttime district.

The half decade before felt stagnant though, yes. I remember that well. Five long years of mostly nothing. A glorified MTV music video commencing the trivialisation of FW (Captain EO), the disappointing Seas, and erm...not much else. Oh, yes, that shopping bazaar Morocco. But where were all those WS rides? The new countries? Why no love for the MK anymore? Why wasn't Disney building!?

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I always enjoyed going to Disney. It was much easier back when there was only two parks. However, I think the parks have a stronger lineup of attractions today than it did in the 1980's.
The fact that 34 years have transpired since 1980 and in that time new rides have been added also helps that lineup look better. The fact remains however that they simply build them differently now. Considering the amount they spend on each new attraction it doesn't make sense.

AEfx

If anyone's interested, Alice in Wonderland soft opened today at Disneyland with new special effects and figures.

Wow, if only our few classic dark rides could get that kind of attention. Well, our one classic dark ride. :( Makes me so sad, as much as I like TLM, and even 7DMT, I still think we need a good two more of these types of rides to really make our Fantasyland what it should be in the flagship park.

Hmm...no new projected AAs. Though, the new effects look great.

THANK GOODNESS TO THAT!!!

I hope to see them outside of 7DMT again than no more than I hope to see the "swaying" ride vehicle. I'll likely be disappointed, but the longer they are held off from being the norm, the better.

That is one little charming gem of a ride. We can't even keep our little dark rides they take them away.

With all the money they spend, it's crazy they don't make small investments like these. They could take a small plot, and stick two of these (with shared operations to decrease footprint) in, warehouse-style with a small facade (a la the HM), for under 20 million. They don't need to be "state of the art". I think that's what is disappointing about our Pan in particular - do you know what makes the Disneyland version, aside from the just being better to begin with? Fiber optic lights.

Now, that sounds all fancy - but it's not. You can recreate a starfield across your child's entire bedroom ceiling (or your own, LOL - I won't lie, I've thought about it!) for $300-400 bucks that is the same exact effect they do in the Disneyland Pan. I'm not exaggerating - it's about the same number of lights and the same size. Even when you add the corporate/Disney/business tax - $5,000? $10,000? $20,000 if we are all crazy? That they don't do little things like that is what I find so confusing. It's like they want to do away with them in Florida totally - and, actually, they pretty much have, except for our Mr. P - he's the anti-Potter, more like the Rotter.

Californian Elitist

Wow, if only our few classic dark rides could get that kind of attention. Well, our one classic dark ride. :( Makes me so sad, as much as I like TLM, and even 7DMT, I still think we need a good two more of these types of rides to really make our Fantasyland what it should be in the flagship park.

THANK GOODNESS TO THAT!!!

I hope to see them outside of 7DMT again than no more than I hope to see the "swaying" ride vehicle. I'll likely be disappointed, but the longer they are held off from being the norm, the better.

With all the money they spend, it's crazy they don't make small investments like these. They could take a small plot, and stick two of these (with shared operations to decrease footprint) in, warehouse-style with a small facade (a la the HM), for under 20 million. They don't need to be "state of the art". I think that's what is disappointing about our Pan in particular - do you know what makes the Disneyland version, aside from the just being better to begin with? Fiber optic lights.

Now, that sounds all fancy - but it's not. You can recreate a starfield across your child's entire bedroom ceiling (or your own, LOL - I won't lie, I've thought about it!) for $300-400 bucks that is the same exact effect they do in the Disneyland Pan. I'm not exaggerating - it's about the same number of lights and the same size. Even when you add the corporate/Disney/business tax - $5,000? $10,000? $20,000 if we are all crazy? That they don't do little things like that is what I find so confusing. It's like they want to do away with them in Florida totally - and, actually, they pretty much have, except for our Mr. P - he's the anti-Potter, more like the Rotter.

I agree, I think it's truly sad MK has gotten rid of the majority of their dark rides. I don't care that 7DMT is Snow White-themed, they could have kept the Snow White dark ride.

CDavid

I always enjoyed going to Disney. It was much easier back when there was only two parks. However, I think the parks have a stronger lineup of attractions today than it did in the 1980's.

That's just fine, but it is only your opinion. Other guests can and will differ in their appraisal of the attraction lineup. What doesn't change is that there were indeed new shows and attractions in the Magic Kingdom between 1980 and 1992, and the 1984-89 period was one of rapid expansion (in sharp contrast to the recent past). You can hold any opinion you wish, but you cannot re-write history to support your viewpoint.

dhall

and i really enjoyed the character Olaf in the film.
he was the best part of it..
I did not particularly enjoy Olaf in Frozon, but I agree that he was the best part of the movie.

Just saw Dragon2 today: I thought it was fairly cute and hung together fairly well, but it's a movie I've seen a 100x before. That it's 100x better than Frozen is not a testament to how good Dragon is...

Goofyernmost

I agree, I think it's truly sad MK has gotten rid of the majority of their dark rides. I don't care that 7DMT is Snow White-themed, they could have kept the Snow White dark ride.
Except that if one is truly honest, there was no more boring or primitive a dark ride then Snow White. If any had to go, which I agree they shouldn't, I'm glad it was that one.

RSoxNo1

Or we can have the alternative to the HE...
bus.jpg

or
WDW-Monorail-Work-Tractor-3.jpg

I know which 'train with TV screens' I prefer

As much as someone would want to crap on the HE... let's not forget it could have been cut as not core to the new land...
Um... Magical Express... it has Express in the name.

RSoxNo1

From public announcement to opening day, it's going to take Disney six years to build Pandora.

This despite getting its professional derriere kicked by Universal, who has managed to open 2 lands and more attractions in less time, with even more on the way before a single guest ever sees a blue alien.

And we think Disney is capable of keeping up with Universal's construction pace exactly why? :D
The last ride Disney announced for WDW was Mine train in January of 2011. It took 3.5 years to open that, and land clearing had already begun.

It took 11 months for Universal to tear down the previous Soundstage and build Transformers. It took 18 months for Disney to change Snow White's Scary Adventures into a Meet and Greet.

Universal is still playing catchup, but unless something changes within Disney that gap is going to get narrower.

AEfx

That would make sense IF the buildings were full. Right now, occupancy rates are rumored to be low at the deluxes and moderates (tm Parentsof4) so it doesn't seem to make sense to bulldoze a property with high occupancy rates and low overhead. In addition, discounts like free dining aren't offered at FW other than the cabins so basically people are paying $80 a night for a parking space and a bathroom.

While camping is charming and all, I wonder how many folks do it because they love the outdoors vs. it's the cheapest option to stay on-property. I wish I could tell those folks for almost half the price of a campsite that there is a really nice, clean, friendly Motel 6 that is right around the corner from the Studios. For the amount you save it will rent you a car, too.

Even if you spend 3 whole days at Universal there's still time for the mouse.

But do they have the $? Park tickets are getting really, really expensive. Just when I look at my own (now that AP's have been priced out of my range) it often makes me go, "Geesh, I might as well just fly to Disneyland if I'm going to spend this much on a trip," which is what I now have been doing. Particularly when you add park hopping, which I think is pretty much mandatory unless you are spending at least 7 days in the parks.

Since you can get 3 and 4 day Universal dual park tickets for under $200, most families need what, six or seven days of park admission if they are doing theme parks all week?

So let's say they split it up - a 3 and 4 day Disney ticket with park hopping costs $350-375. I've left tax out of both of these examples, so a 4 days at Disney breaks $400 with that included - that's a pretty big psychological barrier, particularly if you have a family of 4 or more.

A family of 4 can get 3-4 day Universal tickets for about $800. And if they want to do Disney, that's another $1400+. $2200 for a week's theme park admission? Before we've even talked about lodging, plane tickets, etc.?

The above examples are actually the most cost-effective ways, too - even if you drop park hopping from Disney (which with only 3-4 days seems like a waste unless you simply aren't into the parks much), that's still two grand for a family of 4 to spend a week doing Disney/Universal.

(BTW, the fact that Universal is so cheap is also why the whole "what if you have a one park ticket" criticism about HE is just a joke - folks will catch on quick that haven't yet - buying a one-day one-park Universal ticket at this point is about to be as rare as someone buying a one-day one-park ticket to a Disney park, it ain't 2003 anymore, or even 2013.)

Nah, folks aren't going to be splitting up. The new blood coming in, especially once that have been to Disney previously (say, 5 or 10 years ago) are much more likely to go to the place with the new stuff (Universal), maximize the tickets there (especially once they have an on-site water park), and then have 2-3 days to do other stuff in Orlando like Sea World, or maybe drive to the coast for the day, or sit around the pool.

The "per day" price savings ("the longer you play, the less you play") did wonders to get folks to extend their vacations when it was introduced, but what is going to happen now is what is going to bite it on the rear, which is - "Well, since we aren't going to spend a whole week there, a week's admission is practically the same price as we'd be paying for 3-4 days, so let's just relax the other days. We've been there before, we've already seen it all. Universal will be enough."

Mike S

Except that if one is truly honest, there was no more boring or primitive a dark ride then Snow White. If any had to go, which I agree they shouldn't, I'm glad it was that one.
Or they could've updated it like in Disneyland so it wouldn't seem so primitive anymore. If they really had to remove it though because for some reason they couldn't have two Snow White rides I would've been fully in favor of converting it to a new ride based on Sleeping Beauty rather than a waste of space M&G.

aladdin2007

they could have, and should have. or at least as another dark ride since snow white moved to the new mine train. only two left in terms of the classic original fantasyland little dark rides. actually one, since toad was changed to pooh but pooh is still in the traditional style at least. we only have two traditional little dark rides left.

Disneyland has what 5? not counting others that came later. So they really have 8, pan, snow, alice, toad, pinocchio,,,then later buzz, pooh, roger rabbit.

Californian Elitist

they could have, and should have. or at least as another dark ride since snow white moved to the new mine train. only two left in terms of the classic original fantasyland little dark rides. actually one, since toad was changed to pooh but pooh is still in the traditional style at least. we only have two traditional little dark rides left.

Disneyland has what 5? not counting others that came later. So they really have 8, pan, snow, alice, toad, pinocchio,,,then later buzz, pooh, roger rabbit.

Yes, 5 in Fantasyland. I've never thought of Buzz as a dark ride, but now that I'm thinking about it, I guess it is.

bhg469

The last ride Disney announced for WDW was Mine train in January of 2011. It took 3.5 years to open that, and land clearing had already begun.

It took 11 months for Universal to tear down the previous Soundstage and build Transformers. It took 18 months for Disney to change Snow White's Scary Adventures into a Meet and Greet.

Universal is still playing catchup, but unless something changes within Disney that gap is going to get narrower.
People are strongly talking a third gate. If the quality attractions per park is any indication a third gate will equal what wdw offers. Universal doesn't even have the gift of acres, and they're maximizing space. Nothing feels smaller or less themed. There is great flow from one area to another unlike NFL.

Goofyernmost

Or they could've updated it like in Disneyland so it wouldn't seem so primitive anymore. If they really had to remove it though because for some reason they couldn't have two Snow White rides I would've been fully in favor of converting it to a new ride based on Sleeping Beauty rather than a waste of space M&G.
The problem with that is it is obvious that the M&G's are immensely popular so it is good use of the building, even if you or I don't care for it at all. Eventually this Princess worship will wear off, then they will have to decide what to do with it. Chances are they will just put a sign up that says...CLOSED FOR RENOVATIONS and that will be the last we see of anything there. Or they could make it into an indoor Smart phone recharging station.;)

Californian Elitist

The problem with that is it is obvious that the M&G's are immensely popular so it is good use of the building, even if you or I don't care for it at all. Eventually this Princess worship will wear off, then they will have to decide what to do with it. Chances are they will just put a sign up that says...CLOSED FOR RENOVATIONS and that will be the last we see of anything there. Or they could make it into an indoor Smart phone recharging station.;)

They did exactly that with the Rocket Rods. The ride closed for a "refurb" and never reopened.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom