The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

spacemt354

Chili's
All I can say after touring Diagon Alley tonight is

Shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg
Technically they already took your money because you couldn't see the place without a park pass.

But point taken;).

Disneyhead'71

Amazing, great shot.
That's not actually my shot. It is Megan's, who is part of the #OccupyDiagon crew. I will go back and credit her on my OP. Thanks for reminding me. I was standing beside her when she took it, but I had a beer in my hand and...well, I'm a bit lazy. Well, never mind, she was kind enough to send it to me.

PS: The Dragon Scale Lager is quite nice.

spacemt354

Chili's
Plenty of people recount the lack of worthy souvenirs. People not spending are crowding up already crowded facilities. This is especially true at "Disneyworld park" which would likely receive the bulk of any spillover.
I think the Frozen events at DHS will help the spillover effect. I feel the merchandise and sales from the events they are going to have during the summer will benefit Disney, at least in the short-term. It's something new, it's popular, and the product has sold to the general public.

lazyboy97o

I think the Frozen events at DHS will help the spillover effect. I feel the merchandise and sales from the events they are going to have during the summer will benefit Disney, at least in the short-term. It's something new, it's popular, and the product has sold to the general public.
They're definitely going to capitalize on it better, but that still means having the spillover. It wasn't as big as was expected in 2010 and I don't think there should be expectations that it'll be siding ant the second go round.

RSoxNo1

I know WDW1974 denied them, but can someone recap or link back to the Fort Wilderness DVC posts? Weren't their rumors a year+ ago of DVC rumors around Fort Wilderness as well? Is anything in development beyond the Poly?

ParentsOf4

Why would the spillover from the Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Diagon Alley be more significant than the spillover from the Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmead? And what good is spillover if people have already blown most of their spending money? Spillover is bad for Walt Disney World because it is more crowds but less spending.
WDW attendance was essentially flat after Hogsmead opened. Hogsmead stole WDW park days from some Orlando guests but brought in so many more Orlando tourists that it was a wash for WDW theme parks.

The killer was that WDW's onsite hotel occupancy dropped 5%. If that doesn't sound like much, that translated into about a $100M revenue loss for Disney in just the first year. Because of the way hotel costs are structured, most of that lost revenue was profit.

That's what Hogsmead did; pop the 'Mouse Bubble' Disney successfully created when they introduced Disney's Magical Express.

Diagon Alley might end up further eroding WDW onsite stays. If Universal manages to create an outstanding Third Gate, then Disney will be absolutely punished for their outrageous onsite hotel prices.

Mike S

WDW attendance was essentially flat after Hogsmead opened. Hogsmead stole WDW park days from some Orlando guests but brought in so many more Orlando tourists that it was a wash for WDW theme parks.

The killer was that WDW's onsite hotel occupancy dropped 5%. If that doesn't sound like much, that translated into about a $100M revenue loss for Disney in just the first year. Because of the way hotel costs are structured, most of that lost revenue was profit.

That's what Hogsmead did; pop the 'Mouse Bubble' Disney successfully created when they introduced Disney's Magical Express.

Diagon Alley might end up further eroding WDW onsite stays. If Universal manages to create an outstanding Third Gate, then Disney will be absolutely punished for their outrageous onsite hotel prices.
Don't forget the stagnation of the parks. If Universal truly knocks it out of the park with their third gate, it could do serious damage to WDW's image.

cw1982

I know WDW1974 denied them, but can someone recap or link back to the Fort Wilderness DVC posts? Weren't their rumors a year+ ago of DVC rumors around Fort Wilderness as well? Is anything in development beyond the Poly?

From what I saw, the rumor was that DVC would be taking over the campgrounds at FW to help combat some of the more upscale hotels that will soon be near the property.

PhotoDave219

That's not actually my shot. It is Megan's, who is part of the #OccupyDiagon crew. I will go back and credit her on my OP. Thanks for reminding me. I was standing beside her when she took it, but I had a beer in my hand and...well, I'm a bit lazy. Well, never mind, she was kind enough to send it to me.

PS: The Dragon Scale Lager is quite nice.

Funny, I got a similar picture texted to me that looks like it was also taken right next to you…

truecoat

I keep hearing the 3rd gate rumors and I can't fathom what they will do next.

Heard it will be based on 70's tv. Easier to license than other ip's.

Two apt tower rides, one is Movin On Up to the Jeffersons, the other is Dynomite with the Good Times gang.

MASH 4077 helicopter simulator ride.

Take a trip to....Fantasy Island aboard the Love Boat!

The Happy Days musical Review inside Al's restaurant.

My personal fave is a ride with Will and Sonny in their big rig honoring the short lived show, Movin' On.

Engine 51 will be saving the day in the Emergency Arena.

That's all I can say for now.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
From what I saw, the rumor was that DVC would be taking over the campgrounds at FW to help combat some of the more upscale hotels that will soon be near the property.

It would not have "taken over" the campgrounds. IIRC all campgrounds would have stayed in tact. A very Wild Lodge-esque type complex would have been put from just behind Trail's End all the way over to Fort Wild almost. A large parking lot where the current ranch still pretty much is back there with thousands of rooms. New massive pool. That is what I was told from a rather solid individual.

phillip sugarman

Spirited Thursday Morning Musings:

FW is going nowhere. I've heard someone started that rumor here and it has no validity at all. None.

There is a VERY troubling (to me) piece of resort/DVC news that I am trying to vet now.

A very close friend was at EPCOT last night and reported very slow crowds saying Soarin only had a 40-minute standby wait in early evening.

Seems like the makeover to DD has quietly (why would you talk about it?) fallen behind schedule. I am sure the phones are ringing off the hook with people postponing vacations.

Very strange that EPCOT moves Living With the Land to a Tier 1 FP+ attraction and then shutters it nightly at 7 during summer.

Interesting Miceage column this week about DL's Diamond Anniversary that is really shaping up to be a very nice celeb. WDW would get a pin and a vinyl set. Notice they did say Monstropolis was a go again (as I said here). ... Only 'news' there to me was the Marvel mini area. I totally buy that wait would get Marvel out of DL, which they want for Star Wars. And it would keep open the idea of using Marvel IP in major attractions in a third gate down the road.

Maleficent has quietly outperformed studio expectations and has shown legs in a busy summer.

I know there has been loads of drama over the opening of Diagon Alley and the Hogwarts Express, but I think UNI has sorta dropped the ball. In this era of social media, people are going to expect soft openings and going to chat and post about them. Disney went through this with the kiddie coaster recently. It's part of life. You either don't have them at all and make it clear that nothing opens until a set date, or you have loads of security that tells folks they have to move it along, or you deal with crowds that look like Black Friday folks at the Wal-Mart.

When is Monstropolis supposed to start? After the 60 year anniversary?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom