The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

SJN1279

Shouldn't people just be glad they're missing out on such a lousy ride? You keep telling us how lousy everything is anyway.

If people stay at the Universal resorts and purchase Potter packages and don't get to experience Gringotts, there will be problems.

Fishbait

New Fantasyland, new entertainment, updates to attractions, Avatar and Frozen attractions coming. The park's really are not stagnant.

Universal losing Jaws and Back to the Future over the last 6 years made a lot of guests upset. That would be like Disney shuttering Pirates and Star Tours.

I love Disneyworld. It is my home-away from home. But, despite all that, my last two visits were enough to convince me that the parks are stale. The new fastpass system is not as good as the old system. The new attractions don't deliver. The CMs have gotten noticeably less helpful and friendly (not all of them or even a majority of them, but some). Queues and rides are noticeably run down and dirty. Stagnant is a word that I have used to describe it to friends recently.

I went so far as to recommend Universal for the first time over Disney to a friend who is taking his family to Orlando in a couple of weeks. First time that I have ever done that.

I would also like to say that you are trying too hard. You come across like a shill. It makes your arguments less weighty.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
New Fantasyland, new entertainment, updates to attractions, Avatar and Frozen attractions coming. The park's really are not stagnant.

Universal losing Jaws and Back to the Future over the last 6 years made a lot of guests upset. That would be like Disney shuttering Pirates and Star Tours.

Jaws closed Jan 2012, Back to the Future in 2007 yet attendance there has gone up every year for the past 4 years. What is your point?

truecoat

The last major addition to Epcot was 9 years ago. Almost a decade already with nothing major on the horizon.

8 years since you could take a trip to Everest and many of those with the signature piece of the ride on Dance Fever.

6 for Hollywood Studios and many don't consider TSM an E ticket or do you want to include American Idol?

Last but not least, we have the Magic Kingdom. A new expansion of Fantasyland, with no E Ticket. So, you have the most popular park in the world and they haven't added a killer attraction to it since.....1992? Really? Splash Mountain was the last major E Ticket?

TWDC runs the most expensive theme parks on the planet and you are satisfied with a few upgrades or a new E ticket every decade? Some of us expect more.

Padraig

I would also like to say that you are trying too hard. You come across like a shill. It makes your arguments less weighty.

How do I say this delicately...I've come to the conclusion that he's neither a shill or a troll, but on the evidence given, somebody who has a "unique perspective" on the world. So maybe we should just recognise that there's no real barrier for entry to the net and that it's inclusive of all (regardless of ability) and just accept SJN1279 postings.

wogwog

PShhhh what does diagon alley have creative merchandise that folks wanna buy that also fits the location is that all? WE GOT THESE GUYS
OTS706695-613x916.jpg

(No this is a serious thing that was announced for the frozen dhs takeover, they had more than 6 months to create good merchandise from a film. And this is what happened from that)
IM BUYING 12 (to send to all of my enemies.)
Steven is not paid enough to pose with that. No matter how much he makes. Or are we being duped? Could this be a joke and that is really a a picture of @WDW1974 headed to a meeting with George K?

Nemo14

PShhhh what does diagon alley have creative merchandise that folks wanna buy that also fits the location is that all? WE GOT THESE GUYS
OTS706695-613x916.jpg

(No this is a serious thing that was announced for the frozen dhs takeover, they had more than 6 months to create good merchandise from a film. And this is what happened from that)
IM BUYING 12 (to send to all of my enemies.)

Just the thing I want to wear in the Florida heat!

manutdfan1

Love your analysis of DVC, I totally agree.

But I think there is even an additional component in this which is so dangerous: They have become addicted to that short-term money they get. They need to keep generating these profits, otherwise their revenues are down. If they stopped selling DVC suddenly a large revenue stream that does not cost a lot to generate will be missing from their annual report. Won't look good and I am sure Mr Iger has no interest in having to explain that.

As an accountant, I would be very surprised if Disney could report all of the revenue from a DVC sell in the year it was sold. Revenue cannot be recognized until it is earned. However, I can't speak to the specifics of when timeshare revenue is "earned" from an accounting standpoint, but I imagine that it is covered somewhere in FASB's codification.

*Edit to clarify

Last edited:

SJN1279

My biggest complaint about Disney in the 1980's was no new attractions from 1984 to 1989. Talk about stagnant, Disney was totally stagnant when it came to new ride offerings during that period.

fbb

OTS706695-613x916.jpg

(No this is a serious thing that was announced for the frozen dhs takeover

A legitimate souvenir, perhaps. But clearly that pic was taken for its absurdity.

SJN1279

The last major addition to Epcot was 9 years ago. Almost a decade already with nothing major on the horizon.

8 years since you could take a trip to Everest and many of those with the signature piece of the ride on Dance Fever.

6 for Hollywood Studios and many don't consider TSM an E ticket or do you want to include American Idol?

Last but not least, we have the Magic Kingdom. A new expansion of Fantasyland, with no E Ticket. So, you have the most popular park in the world and they haven't added a killer attraction to it since.....1992? Really? Splash Mountain was the last major E Ticket?

TWDC runs the most expensive theme parks on the planet and you are satisfied with a few upgrades or a new E ticket every decade? Some of us expect more.

I consider Seven Dwarves a E ticket. Toy Story Mania is one of the most popular rides in Orlando, and an all ages crowd pleaser. Star Tours was also a major update for DHS. If you don't count it as a new attraction, you can't count Despicable Me or The Simpsons as a new attraction either. I also enjoy Test Track update to be very good.

Animal Kingdom is stagnant, but that will change with Avatar. The other three parks have had some nice upgrades.

asianway

As an accountant, I would be very surprised if Disney could report all of the income from a DVC sell in the year it was purchased. Revenue cannot be recognized until it is earned. However, I can't speak to the specifics of when timeshare revenue is "earned" from an accounting standpoint, but I imagine that it is covered somewhere in FASB's codification.
They report it in whole at the time it goes past the rescission deadline. Similar to a sale of real estate.

asianway

I keep seeing the term "lifestylers" being mentioned here? I've an idea, but I could really do with a definition.
Someone who lives in Orlando(are we extending this to LA too?), has an AP, visits the parks nearly every day, and loves to place every moment of their fantastic lives on twitter, a blog, or other forms of social media.

Usually, but not always, characterized by:
Extreme OCD
A lower tier job somewhere in the theme park industry
A side job selling merchandise on the bubble of being bootleg or peddling lifestyler services
Spending minimal money inside the parks on top of the AP-in other words not the type of customers I'd want
Treating the place like teenagers in a shopping mall
On some form of government assistance
And whatever you do, NEVER point out to one of them this may be unhealthy

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom