The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

Nmoody1

I agree they seem to be going overboard on the up charges. I can understand some but it seems like every fireworks show has one. They will probably have one for Rivers of Light. I complain about Universals front of line plan because it is unfair but Disney is doing it with all these extra fees. I don't like it. The problem is when 2014 attendance comes out both Universal and Disney are going to see big increases. If this continues you will see more and more offerings like this for the well off and the rest of the customers will wait in longer lines. As some people have said they don't want to see what looks like is next and that is an extra fee for more fast passes. This is the wrong way to go.

It sure is the wrong way to go... And it's sad that Disney is showing no signs of stopping! As for these crazy people on here trying to justify why it's ok to charge for ice skating and premium events, disney is meant to be a premium brand in the first place... And we have all seen how they have cheaper out on things over the past few years.

Walt Disney World is very much positioning itself as a place only for the wealthy... Some people save for years for a Disney vacation - to then arrive in Orlando to have to fork out for extras like ice skating. Fair enough, up charge 'events' such as the EPCOT after hours thing are fair enough, you get a meal and it allows you to eat after the attractions close... Meaning you can maximise your ride time, but charging a premium for reserved seating is not cool... Is that not what fast pass is for?

As for those who say its fine... Consider this... When Fantasmic is centre only charged seats, either side is fast pass viewing and then either side is fantasmic dinner package... You'll have two ends of the stadium for standby guests, and the show still won't receive any change or upgrade!

dhall

Thats a new rumor - the campground going away, not the Four Seasons outshining the Grand Fla.

Of course the Four Seasons will outshine the Grand Fla. The Grand Fla is not as upscale as they want to think it is... as attested to by countless posts here.

Something to pay attention to, yes. But unlikely IMO.

Unlikely because of the money it would take to build an actual world-class resort? It does seem unlikely that they'd add capacity given that they're madly reducing the current inventory.

OTOH, if someone in strategic planning were to to take the same type of profit/square ft mentality that is used to drive the retail decisions and scale it up to profit/.25acre metrics driving land use, the campground is the obvious place to start. I betcha a proposal to build a 3 or 4 story campground would get pretty far along before anyone noticed the obvious problems (and if the one noticing isn't plugged into the right side of the decision tree, that might still not be enough)

dhall

but that's where people also need to realize that a portion of the money spent on MM+ was inevitable to be spent anyway. Most of it was just infrastructure/software upgrades, which were sorely needed anyway. When you have a resort the size of WDW, that's going to cost a decent amount of money to fully implement.

I've made that argument several times. OTOH, no-one in their right mind builds a marketing plan around an IT upgrade. Competent executives would phase the IT upgrades in quietly over several years, only announcing new features when they've been tested in the field, and only to the degree that they make the guest's experience better. The associated capital expansion could've been nibbled in small enough bites and spread across enough budget line items to not attract attention (even if it does add up over the years).

Competent executives would've built the real visible production capacity as quickly as possible once needed; in the theme park business, visible production capacity (ie, rides, shows, & themed areas) drive customer excitement.

TDO got those two backwards.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

bhg469

That's been rumored as off and on for a while now. Here's a good thread from another site that has some details of the "leaked" plans. This is 6 months old now, but if it happened is kinda massive in scale. I could see this being a mix of DVC and deluxe hotel rooms if they actually do it.

http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/11845-leaked-river-country-dvc-plans/#
I worked with a lady that bought into DVC close to its inception for what I think was under $50 per point. They were actually in a dvc commercial that was played on the disney channel as well as resort tv. I was jealous of that price but now, I just see how many of these resorts exist, and it makes me sad that there are no more moderate or value rooms coming. Not that the pricing is moderate or value anymore. I just can't fathom people buying into DVC now, it just doesn't seem nearly the value it once wss.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I worked with a lady that bought into DVC close to its inception for what I think was under $50 per point. They were actually in a dvc commercial that was played on the disney channel as well as resort tv. I was jealous of that price but now, I just see how many of these resorts exist, and it makes me sad that there are no more moderate or value rooms coming. Not that the pricing is moderate or value anymore. I just can't fathom people buying into DVC now, it just doesn't seem nearly the value it once wss.
You can still buy DVC resale for in the 70s or less depending on resort. At $155 per point it's getting a little out of hand but they keep selling so someone out there thinks it's still a good deal.

The reason I said "deluxe" cash rooms is that if they combine DVC with hotel rooms it would have to be deluxe. DVC doesn't mix with a moderate resort. The point per night total for a moderate DVC would have to be reduced which would reduce the total points (and total cash from sales) and total dues collected. The moderate and value resorts overcome the lower prices per room with volume of rooms. If you built 2,000 rooms near Fort Wilderness you would probably need to take out most of the camp ground since you would need parking, dining and facilities for all of those rooms unless they went really vertical...like an Aulani sized building.

culturenthrills

We always visited during Sept and found the crowds pretty easy at Universal if we hit rope drop at USO first then have a nice sit down lunch then close out IOA. We skip a few things but now with DA, just early entry alone would be worth taking a day from my WDW. Plus I here Uni resorts are amazing! So I'm excited to give it try!
If you are gonna spend 2 days there eat lunch at one of the Citywalk restaurants. You can have nice sit down meal for just a little bit more than a QS one in the parks. And they are so close. I like Nba City. I have never had a bad meal there.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
But I wonder, even if the Ft. Wilderness DVC rumor were true... What will the theme be? Wilderness Lodge 2/Expansion?

One rumor was that it would be themed as River Country with a large pool complex, lazy rivers and water slides as part of it. More of a lake/river water based theme then a national park lodge like WL.

Mike S

I stopped by the Wilderness Lodge on a previous trip and it was really nice inside. We accidentally went to the camp ground first and it was pretty nice there too, everyone had decorations up. I could see why people would be bothered losing it to DVC expansion, it's a really unique way of staying at the resort. But we all know how TDO is, get rid of uniqueness in favor of homogenization because it's "cheaper". Plus DVC would just make more money than the campground. All they see is :greedy:

Smiddimizer

I'm skeptical about the (solo) solo films. Isn't not having the "episode __" subtitle downgrading them from the start? I'm worried Ep 7 will be the only true tentpole of the bunch, and people will become bored and disenchanted with the entire franchise sooner rather than later. Part of what they're doing is building up anticipation for the numeric titles with 'lesser' movies, like Thor 2 or Cap 2 prepares you for Avengers 2 (who wants to bet they'll even borrow the end-credit teaser?), so I wouldn't even say it's bold of them. It works for Marvel because the heroes get together in the end. For SW it's just a hodgepodge.

This is all very much just supposing, and I'll happily stand corrected if Gareth Edwards and the like can deliver.

It reminds me of the Planes spinoff from the Cars franchise for whatever reason.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom