The Spirited 11th Hour ...

Figments Friend

Just reading some posts here about Bob Weis. I checked out his Twitter feed the other day just out of curiosity. Boy, was it super political. I don't really care about those types of things personally (as people can say what they want), but was just a bit surprised. Just figured someone in his position wouldn't be so vocal in this area. Obviously, that was wrong to assume.

Let's hope he keeps the politics in cyberspace where they belong, and not on Flower Street.

One thing WDI does not need more of is that.....'politics'...

:hungover:

-

ThemeParkJunkee

Put my money where my mouth was sold all of my DIS stock when it hit 119, No I don't have any faith in the long term health of TWDC.

I only sold half my position at 119. I will sell the rest soon (maybe) as I set an order to sell when my gain is at about 100%. I've had DIS awhile and needed to rebalance. I don't have a lot of faith in much long term right now but have some stop-gap measures in place.

PhotoDave219

Although this seems a bit off subject, I thought I would share a little of what's been discussed. Below are the ones you've been mentioning and many others that have been cut and not replaced.
Norway had Spelmanns Gledje

The Fountain of Nations had The Kristos

Italy had Nova Era. Fortunately, they are still around and play at Disney Springs

France had Le Mime Roland who was excellent! - See image below (couldn't find a video):
mime_roland2.jpg

Storybook Circus had the Giggle Gang, Wowzer the Storybook Circus Clown and then a different Wowzer (the two different Wowzer performers might still be able to be seen on the Boardwalk, just not as clowns)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2CDvQnn_rM
Disney's Animal Kingdom had the Village Beatniks - Outstanding! We just saw one of the performers at Magic Kingdom about 2 weeks ago...he is now retired. The one with the Zendrum in this video is still with the Jammitors
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl6rtvNyk_w
Animal Kingdom also had a band near Finding Nemo the Musical, called the Tropicals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5EKM0g3bjk
In DinoLand USA they had Smear, Splat & Dip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHa3MbTyGfY
I could probably think of more but I'll spare all of you.

Always dug the Krystos.

One of their performers won a bunch of pole fitness competitions last year.

No Name

From the article, it looks like Disney could still launch fireworks on most days of the year.
The API (Average Pollution Index) would have to go above 200 for the government to not allow fireworks, and the index rarely reached that level. For example, today is a pretty bad day pollution-wise and the rating is 140.

The bigger concern for Disney is their image. It doesn't look great to be launching color fun into the air while the rest of China is being told to cut down on pollution in places where it isn't so easily avoidable, like factories. If the Chinese don't pick up on Disney polluting, the press will, and they definitely don't need pollution criticism on top of other problems.

Last edited:

tirian

Just reading some posts here about Bob Weis. I checked out his Twitter feed the other day just out of curiosity. Boy, was it super political. I don't really care about those types of things personally (as people can say what they want), but was just a bit surprised. Just figured someone in his position wouldn't be so vocal in this area. Obviously, that was wrong to assume.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but considering that he also uses this as his public-facing persona for work, those are some unprofessional tweets. His knee-jerk comments support @WDW1974 in thinking that maybe Weis is so outspoken, Iger partly promoted him to keep him happy inside the WDC.

I'm still relieved he replaced Brucie.

The Empress Lilly

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but considering that he also uses this as his public-facing persona for work, those are some unprofessional tweets. His knee-jerk comments support @WDW1974 in thinking that maybe Weis is so outspoken, Iger partly promoted him to keep him happy inside the WDC.

Weis is so politically outspoken that in order to not be embarrassed by his outspokeness they hoisted him on a pedestal and put a megaphone in his hand?

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
Had a trip booked to stay at The Beach Club, only to add days on recently and see my per night price change. Then realized they added fees into the total without breaking them out and explaining them. Emailing Disney led to a generic "you must call the number" response, where we had the rudest and most ignorant person who basically accused us of lying.

Long story short they did nothing but essentially say "we don't care". The latest email to Disney simply said, "we will be cancelling our trip, and booking with Universal. Disney has changed." What a despicable and noticeable decline in service! The company used to be industry standard and now they literally are some of the worst!

/endrant

asianway

Had a trip booked to stay at The Beach Club, only to add days on recently and see my per night price change. Then realized they added fees into the total without breaking them out and explaining them. Emailing Disney led to a generic "you must call the number" response, where we had the rudest and most ignorant person who basically accused us of lying.

Long story short they did nothing but essentially say "we don't care". The latest email to Disney simply said, "we will be cancelling our trip, and booking with Universal. Disney has changed." What a despicable and noticeable decline in service! The company used to be industry standard and now they literally are some of the worst!

/endrant
Had this happen about ten years ago. The squirrelly per night price changes on a reservation change are despicable but not new

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
Had this happen about ten years ago. The squirrelly per night price changes on a reservation change are despicable but not new

The worst part is... They are literally penalizing my entire trip by wanting to ADD nights! I have no issue paying more for the new nights but the rate I reserved should be honored. I booked in advance for that reason. You really wouldn't have expected this from Disney, but over the past 15 years the company has become soulless.

Edit: they won't be seeing my money this trip, Universal will though!

Steel City Magic

Side note. Saw Mick Foley zooming around on a scooter at MK yesterday morning. Red flanel shirt and all. My first celebrity in the parks, and boy what a doozy. After trying to explain to my flight attendant fiance who he was by frantically telling her "thats Mick foley, THATS MICK FOLEY!" To which she replied drowsily, "how do you know the cotton candy guy?" I unfortunately was unable to snap a pic as he had already zoomed off.
Have a nice day! Bang Bang

Last edited:

tirian

Weis is so politically outspoken that in order to not be embarrassed by his outspokeness they hoisted him on a pedestal and put a megaphone in his hand?

Not "politically outspoken"; loud in general.

I know it sounds crazy, but I have seen this happen in other companies. It's a business psychology tactic. Sometimes if two capable people are considered for a position, the one who could make the most noise outside the company gets the job to keep him happy—and quiet.

I'm not saying that's the reason Weis got promoted, and I personally don't think it is. However, Spirit's theory #2 doesn't seem so far-fetched now that I've looked at the man's Twitter account.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I only sold half my position at 119. I will sell the rest soon (maybe) as I set an order to sell when my gain is at about 100%. I've had DIS awhile and needed to rebalance. I don't have a lot of faith in much long term right now but have some stop-gap measures in place.

I bought at 40 so I had it for quite a long time, Here's the thing about my views on TWDC, Do I think the TWDC is going to blow up yes I do, Why do I think that because TWDC management seems to have caught the 'We are Invincible" disease which afflicts some successful companies the major manifestation I see at Disney is Iger refusing to answer questions during earnings calls and Disney's byzantine management structure.

Do I think the underlying businesses are solid yes I do with the exception of ESPN (needs to evolve and realistically it will under new management) and WDI which looks bloated and inefficient.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Although this seems a bit off subject, I thought I would share a little of what's been discussed. Below are the ones you've been mentioning and many others that have been cut and not replaced.
Norway had Spelmanns Gledje

The Fountain of Nations had The Kristos

Italy had Nova Era. Fortunately, they are still around and play at Disney Springs

France had Le Mime Roland who was excellent! - See image below (couldn't find a video):
mime_roland2.jpg

Storybook Circus had the Giggle Gang, Wowzer the Storybook Circus Clown and then a different Wowzer (the two different Wowzer performers might still be able to be seen on the Boardwalk, just not as clowns)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2CDvQnn_rM
Disney's Animal Kingdom had the Village Beatniks - Outstanding! We just saw one of the performers at Magic Kingdom about 2 weeks ago...he is now retired. The one with the Zendrum in this video is still with the Jammitors
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl6rtvNyk_w
Animal Kingdom also had a band near Finding Nemo the Musical, called the Tropicals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5EKM0g3bjk
In DinoLand USA they had Smear, Splat & Dip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHa3MbTyGfY
I could probably think of more but I'll spare all of you.

Don't forget PUSH, The african dancers at AK in front of Tusker house

flynnibus

Premium Member
The worst part is... They are literally penalizing my entire trip by wanting to ADD nights! I have no issue paying more for the new nights but the rate I reserved should be honored. I booked in advance for that reason. You really wouldn't have expected this from Disney, but over the past 15 years the company has become soulless.

Edit: they won't be seeing my money this trip, Universal will though!

Are you complaining that the nights you are adding are not at the same cost as the previously booked nights?

Rodan75

I scrolled through his posts, they aren't crazy bad, but he would be better off not mentioning anything political in the same twitter feed that he posts company information. Assuming he hasn't deleted any, I could imagine he is walking a fine line that higher ups feel uncomfortable commenting on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom