The Spirited 11th Hour ...

Mike S

I suppose your are right, but, if you had never seen EPCOT of old and they introduced those attractions today, the disgusted level would be higher then Everest. It was really something in the 80's, tediously boring now. Nothing special about that just a change in times, expectations and technology. Also not totally surrounded by nostalgia.
If that were the case I wonder why I always see the seats in Spaceship Earth packed. Could people actually still enjoy rides like that? No, too boring. Someone is tricking them.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
If that were the case I wonder why I always see the seats in Spaceship Earth packed. Could people actually still enjoy rides like that? No, too boring. Someone is tricking them.

I like SSE a lot and I know a lot of others that do as well...but that could also be due to Future World being a bit short on rides....

Goofyernmost

There are probably a combination of things that draw people. For one thing, I still like Omni rides with sets or screens. I'm not implying that everyone would dismiss them, however, if you look at the factors that influence discussions here, you will quickly see that if what was built in the 80's would no longer be either sophisticated enough or technologically advanced enough to meet the muster of today's theme park connoisseur. Also, with SSE, there is the classic factor, again nostalgia, I really doubt that if that same thing were built today without the benefit of past experience, it would not go over very well.

Another element is the uniqueness of the SSE building itself. People would probably go to see a landfill if you got to ride in a huge globe, so actually, I feel that the substance of what's inside does not always create the demand. Also depends on when you go and what time you get there. I can assure you that there still are plenty of times when SSE is anything but "packed". It's still a must see for many people like myself, but, you are not likely to see people sprinting from the gate to it like has happened recently with Soarin' and TT.

Mike S

There are probably a combination of things that draw people. For one thing, I still like Omni rides with sets or screens. I'm not implying that everyone would dismiss them, however, if you look at the factors that influence discussions here, you will quickly see that if what was built in the 80's would no longer be either sophisticated enough or technologically advanced enough to meet the muster of today's theme park connoisseur. Also, with SSE, there is the classic factor, again nostalgia, I really doubt that if that same thing were built today without the benefit of past experience, it would not go over very well.

Another element is the uniqueness of the SSE building itself. People would probably go to see a landfill if you got to ride in a huge globe, so actually, I feel that the substance of what's inside does not always create the demand. Also depends on when you go and what time you get there. I can assure you that there still are plenty of times when SSE is anything but "packed". It's still a must see for many people like myself, but, you are not likely to see people sprinting from the gate to it like has happened recently with Soarin' and TT.
By packed I mean nearly every seat filled. It's a very high capacity ride so it would take a ton of people for it to be a long wait even after the addition of FastPass.

Goofyernmost

By packed I mean nearly every seat filled. It's a very high capacity ride so it would take a ton of people for it to be a long wait even after the addition of FastPass.
I knew what you meant and the same thing applies... it depends on when you are there... the seats are seldom all filled during the course of a day. Specific times, like park opening, maybe, but otherwise... not so much. Fastpass did affect it slightly, but only during the times that Standby is most likely to happen to any measurable amount.

Cesar R M

In food related news, Disneyland Paris will be revamping the menu at Walt's towards a seasonal menu that combines "American inspired cusine with a French touch" with a number of Walt Disney's favorite dishes, not unlike the Carnation Cafe at DL. I bring this up because the DLP food and beverage team, as part of their long term plans, wants to increase the quality of the food offerings across the resort with the goal of a Michelin starred restaurant down the road. All the while their counterparts in O-Town and Anaheim are either forced to cut the quality of their offerings, #thanksshanghai, close unique quick service locations like the Paradise Garden Grill or continue to dumb down restaurant menus for rubes, as has been rumored for the Skipper Canteen.
http://disneylandparis-news.com/en/revamped-menu-for-walts-american-restaurant/
I still cant understand the rumor about smaller portions, higher prices and cheaper ingredients.
I guess people nowadays wow over nothing compared to what was offered in the past.

I would also say about Disney's food at WDW converting in McDonalds quality.. But they already do have lower quality in many places than McDonalds.

the.dreamfinder

Once they are open I don't think the Chinese are going to care. They aren't looking for out of country tourists. There will be some, of course, but, they don't need to go fishing out of their own waters. They have a gigantic captive audience right there.
It's more of an ego thing. Like despite how badly fanboys want it, Mystic Manor will never be cloned. This is China's Disney park after all.

FigmentJedi

Funny you mention this. A certain pixie duster on the Toy Story board made a statement about wdw being 45 years old and we can not compare it to Shanghai. Between that statement and what we are talking about here has gotten me all fired up today! Yes MK is 45 years old but look at what can be done if we just invest in the rides that we have keep them up to date and keep them relevant! Just look at what can be done with Peter Pan if it is kept relevant and maintained! You need to spend the money. Is it going to beat shanghai probably not but that's OK at least it looks fresh and new not like it has been sitting for 40 years! Saying that MK is old so it's OK that the rides look old is such a ridiculous argument. I know this has been said 1000x but like I said I'm fired up today and you all understand, unlike my wife who thinks I'm nuts when i rant lol
It's also a ridiculous notion considering that Disneyland overhauled all their dark rides in 1983. Their Peter Pan's Flight and such may have been around since the 50s, but they have not remained static.

thequirkysarah

I knew what you meant and the same thing applies... it depends on when you are there... the seats are seldom all filled during the course of a day. Specific times, like park opening, maybe, but otherwise... not so much. Fastpass did affect it slightly, but only during the times that Standby is most likely to happen to any measurable amount.

Test Track and Soarin' build huge lines because they are newer and they have very limited capacity when compared to Spaceship Earth. SSE may not be as popular as the other two, but it can eat crowds like a beast. So, even if it had more riders than TT over the course of the day, it would never really build the same line. It would probably still have a number of empty seats.

I think it would be a bit too soon to completely write off slow moving rides with physical sets as boring. They aren't. The best part of the new (and incredibly popular) Cars ride is a slow moving ride with physical sets. I think the real issue is that Disney has lost confidence in a well made, slow moving, dark ride. They opt for shorter, less immersive dark rides that don't quite grab imaginations because they aren't involved enough. Then they cite the lackluster performance of their lackluster effort as a reason not to go all out on a slow moving dark ride in the future. Really, it is a self fulfilling fate.

HMF

SSE is packed just for the cheesy video at the end which you just laugh at because its so dang corny.
To think that that cheesy video which makes people laugh replaced one of the most awe-inspiring endings to any ride which was actually so powerful, it changed my life.

Mike S

On that note, the boat ride in Pandora seems to be using the same ride system as Shanghai's POTC.
Wasn't there also a blueprint that showed possible spots where screens would be? Oh my... We might be in for something good here, but I'll reign it in before I get ahead of myself.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom