The Spirited 11th Hour ...

Animaniac93-98

Lots of Brits still make the pilgrimage to WDW over Paris which is right next door (relatively speaking)...so whatever that tells you.

They like hot weather and hate the French.

DLP could be the most amazing theme park on planet earth, and they would still like Florida better because that's where they can spend two weeks buying cheap clothes and getting a tan.

Alejandro

Does SDL's POTC change anyone's mind about having the movie characters in the ride if it's done that well?
Shanghai PoTC is a completely different story, developed for the characters. Shoehorning Jack Sparrow into the original ride/The Three Caballeros (that I love) into El Rio del Tiempo, or Guardians into ToT is what does not make sense.
What they did to the original ride is the same as sticking Eddie Murphy into HM or Steve Guttenberg into ToT.
God forbid a Kardashian into Spaceship Earth

flynnibus

Premium Member
Does SDL's POTC change anyone's mind about having the movie characters in the ride if it's done that well?

I just look at it as a different attraction. The movies were never really tied to the attraction (cameos only), so I much prefer them building an attraction about the movies rather than trying to force the original to be about the movies.

The shift in technology is huge... I don't think we'll see Shanghi's attraction operating 50 years from now like the original pirates is about to do.. but I doubt that would hold true for any attraction that is build today.

Crazydisneyfanluke

Shanghai PoTC is a completely different story, developed for the characters. Shoehorning Jack Sparrow into the original ride/The Three Caballeros (that I love) into El Rio del Tiempo, or Guardians into ToT is what does not make sense.
What they did to the original ride is the same as sticking Eddie Murphy into HM or Steve Guttenberg into ToT.
35deb1b9e4a9470e31799900077a0364.jpg

flynnibus

Premium Member
Seems doubtful seeing as Tokyo, Hong Kong and even Paris to a degree have already shown what Disney can do.

I know what you are saying... but this is a pretty stark contrast and far more distinquishable vs elements people may justify by saying 'well I prefer X'. I mean... some probably will.. but they will also desire these kinds too I think.

Dunno.. I just hope people can see the difference between sustaining and innovating. Much of what we see in that attraction has been done before (that's right UNI.. you can say its about time Disney catches up) but this one seems like they amp'd it up and executed so well in many scenes. I'm not calling it flawless at all from what I've seen... but there are some elements that certainly make you realize just how far behind the status quo really is. Those AA figures and some of the augmented reality stuff they are doing is really stunning.

Alejandro

I just look at it as a different attraction. The movies were never really tied to the attraction (cameos only), so I much prefer them building an attraction about the movies rather than trying to force the original to be about the movies.

The shift in technology is huge... I don't think we'll see Shanghi's attraction operating 50 years from now like the original pirates is about to do.. but I doubt that would hold true for any attraction that is build today.
AA's and Practical effects will always stand the test of time better than CGI/Screens.

flynnibus

Premium Member
AA's and Practical effects will always stand the test of time better than CGI/Screens.

They will also age themselves, and can fail to even meet the minimum standards expected by new guests. The answer isn't one or the other.. the answer is to find the new formats that will continue to impress people going forward. And my comment was less about screens vs physical sets and more about the rapidly advancing technology and immersive things we all experience on a daily basis. It will be harder and harder to build things that will be seen as 'timeless' while also being innovative enough to be popular at the get go.

World Showcase is a great example of that.. it was a huge physical set aimed at emmulating the real thing to take people to places they haven't been or might never see. Now, we can take google street view tours virtually anywhere.. we can youtube video anything in seconds.. we can see so much of the world at our fingertips and can travel most places very cheap.

When EPCOT was built, VHS was still relatively new, not everyone had even that basic format, and airlines had just deregulated.. what people could experience in their regular lives was still pretty crude by today's standards. Building something like World Showcase today wouldn't be enough.. you'd have to go to whole new scales to have the same level of impact.

Brer Panther

What they did to the original ride is the same as sticking Eddie Murphy into HM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again...

The only way that sticking Eddie Murphy into the Haunted Mansion could have worked is if it were turned into "Shrek and Donkey Explore the Haunted Mansion". Come on, don't act like that wouldn't be a fun ride!

TalkingHead

Those new transitions in Soarin are so clunky and forced that they make the original Soarin look like Citizen Kane.

I was never a huge fan of the ride but at least it was graceful. This looks like garbage.

FoodRockz

ToT NEEDS the Gutt for greatness!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom