The Spirited 11th Hour ...

The Empress Lilly

Wow, so that is what 2010s Disney rides look like when they put their mind and money to it.

It reminds me of how EPCOT rides would blow you away 35 years ago.

WDW needs to build a park with the scale and ambition of DisneySea, and the rides and tech of Shanghai. Building a Toy Story kiddie coaster is Chuck E. Cheese territory, sandbox mode.

Mike S

Wow, so that is what 2010s Disney rides look like when they put their mind and money to it.

WDW needs to build a park with the scale and ambition of DisneySea, and the rides and tech of Shanghai. Building a Toy Story kiddie coaster is Chuck E. Cheese territory, sandbox mode.
Or just add the rides and tech of Shanghai to existing parks. That works too without blowing money on a new park when you have four in need of help here and there.

Kman101

I just couldn't see them ever gutting any of our rides, but they should. Pan and Pirates look AMAZING. Even the queue for Soaring (no "n'" here) is a step up. That ceiling? Shanghai looks amazing. I do worry there isn't enough "small things" to do, which the newer parks seem to lack because everything has to be an E-ticket now. Look at Hong Kong, they've had to add smaller things, like that fantasyland walkthrough. But Shanghai does have the Alice maze, apparently a castle walkthrough, and the rides look to have large capacities (though I don't know numbers). It's nice to see a DisneySea caliber castle park.

MerlinTheGoat

Assuming that Peter Pan at MK was completely gutted and rebuild from scratch on the inside (ride system and scenes), could you actually clone the Shanghai version? Are the showbuildings similar enough in size and shape to do so? I guess if you needed more space you could use the Philharmagic building...

As i mentioned in another thread recently, Tokyo's version of Pan (which was actually an exact clone of ours) got updated a few months back. With some of the upgrades from Disneyland and some vastly redone Neverland segments. I'm somewhat mixed about the alterations (the effects and such are better but some of the pacing and forced perspective is now messy because of the scene rearrangements). I bring it up because it is more likely that if MK's Pan is ever upgraded, i expect them to use the new Tokyo version as a template since it is more similar to MK.

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
Assuming that Peter Pan at MK was completely gutted and rebuild from scratch on the inside (ride system and scenes), could you actually clone the Shanghai version? Are the showbuildings similar enough in size and shape to do so? I guess if you needed more space you could use the Philharmagic building...

As i mentioned in another thread recently, Tokyo's version of Pan (which was actually an exact clone of ours) got updated a few months back. With some of the upgrades from Disneyland and some vastly redone Neverland segments. I'm somewhat mixed about the alterations (the effects and such are better but some of the pacing and forced perspective is now messy because of the scene rearrangements). I bring it up because it is more likely that if MK's Pan is ever upgraded, i expect them to use the new Tokyo version as a template since it is more similar to MK.

Funny you mention this. A certain pixie duster on the Toy Story board made a statement about wdw being 45 years old and we can not compare it to Shanghai. Between that statement and what we are talking about here has gotten me all fired up today! Yes MK is 45 years old but look at what can be done if we just invest in the rides that we have keep them up to date and keep them relevant! Just look at what can be done with Peter Pan if it is kept relevant and maintained! You need to spend the money. Is it going to beat shanghai probably not but that's OK at least it looks fresh and new not like it has been sitting for 40 years! Saying that MK is old so it's OK that the rides look old is such a ridiculous argument. I know this has been said 1000x but like I said I'm fired up today and you all understand, unlike my wife who thinks I'm nuts when i rant lol

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
In other Disney budget cut news,

Disney has cut Stana Katic from Castle for what's described as 'Budgetary' reasons, Yeah Disney is doing really well as a company when they take one of it's highest rated shows and cut one of the two leads for strictly FINANCIAL REASONS, and the reason the show exists in the FIRST place and try and sell the husk as the same program.

Love the show or hate it Disney with this is not spending like a healthy company. If its not getting the ratings cancel it but the whole show revolves around the interplay of the two lead characters it's not an ensemble program where the characters are interchangeable. But looks like Disney is really stooping for pennies now.

GrammieBee

It does rather appear at this point in time, as far as new and cutting edge attractions are concerned, WDW has been relegated to the status of the poor relation. Since Disney's initial success was based and supported financially in the USA, this is a sad commentary for those of us who, for whatever reason, will never be able to visit Disney parks in China, Japan, or France..

My hope is that attractions in WDW will have more up to date technology and get better before they get any worse. Right now, it is a game of wait an see.

Thessair

In other Disney budget cut news,

Disney has cut Stana Katic from Castle for what's described as 'Budgetary' reasons, Yeah Disney is doing really well as a company when they take one of it's highest rated shows and cut one of the two leads for strictly FINANCIAL REASONS, and the reason the show exists in the FIRST place and try and sell the husk as the same program.

Love the show or hate it Disney with this is not spending like a healthy company. If its not getting the ratings cancel it but the whole show revolves around the interplay of the two lead characters it's not an ensemble program where the characters are interchangeable. But looks like Disney is really stooping for pennies now.

That's the official reason being bandied about, but Fillion and Katic purportedly hate each other (since very early on and even being sent to couples counseling at one point). I wouldn't be surprised if there was a lot more to the story than just the dollars and cents being reported.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
That's the official reason being bandied about, but Fillion and Katic purportedly hate each other (since very early on and even being sent to couples counseling at one point). I wouldn't be surprised if there was a lot more to the story than just the dollars and cents being reported.

Personally with everything going on I believe the budget cut story, Two squabbling stars are nothing unusual and are generally par for the course with a pair of leads because egos are involved.

the.dreamfinder

In food related news, Disneyland Paris will be revamping the menu at Walt's towards a seasonal menu that combines "American inspired cusine with a French touch" with a number of Walt Disney's favorite dishes, not unlike the Carnation Cafe at DL. I bring this up because the DLP food and beverage team, as part of their long term plans, wants to increase the quality of the food offerings across the resort with the goal of a Michelin starred restaurant down the road. All the while their counterparts in O-Town and Anaheim are either forced to cut the quality of their offerings, #thanksshanghai, close unique quick service locations like the Paradise Garden Grill or continue to dumb down restaurant menus for rubes, as has been rumored for the Skipper Canteen.
http://disneylandparis-news.com/en/revamped-menu-for-walts-american-restaurant/

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

I suppose your are right, but, if you had never seen EPCOT of old and they introduced those attractions today, the disgusted level would be higher then Everest. It was really something in the 80's, tediously boring now. Nothing special about that just a change in times, expectations and technology. Also not totally surrounded by nostalgia.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom