The Spirited 11th Hour ...

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Why? The very same types of stories came out of the opening of Hong Kong Disneyland. Everywhere also deals with such issues. Even here in the US, the significant effort to create and maintain the image of cleanliness at Disneyland and Walt Disney World is well documented.

Hong Kong locals are generally much better behaved than their mainlander counterparts, so I think it's safe to say that Disney was hoping for more cleanliness than what happened when HKDL opened...they also didn't expect people to be throwing their kids over the fences in order to get into the park.

Iwerks64

Hong Kong locals are generally much better behaved than their mainlander counterparts, so I think it's safe to say that Disney was hoping for more cleanliness than what happened when HKDL opened...they also didn't expect people to be throwing their kids over the fences in order to get into the park.

I've been warning people of this. I spend a lot of time in China. I was just at HKDL on Sunday. I've been there every year since it opened. It is a very clean park and Chris is right, HK residents are very different than the mainland Chinese.

Last summer I went to the Shanghai zoo. A beautiful piece of parkland property in the heart of Shanghai with historic buildings and rolling hills. It was a disaster of garbage, rudeness, public acts of disgustingness and barbarism. I'll try and find some of the photos I took. It was truly heartbreaking. Every animal enclosure was full of garbage the locals threw in. I would watch as they pelted animals with plastic water bottles. Overflowing garbage cans tipped over and garbage spewing across walkways. People just camped out everywhere like a refugee camp. People climbing over fences and trampling the landscaping. Ignoring any signs of keep off/keep out/do not touch. Displays that visitors had broken and defaced. This is what Disney and SDL will have to deal with.

BrerJon

Overflowing garbage cans tipped over and garbage spewing across walkways. People just camped out everywhere like a refugee camp. People climbing over fences and trampling the landscaping. Ignoring any signs of keep off/keep out/do not touch. Displays that visitors had broken and defaced. This is what Disney and SDL will have to deal with.

With #ThanksShanghai, Shanghai Disneyland has taken a metaphorical dump on the US parks, cutting back offerings, reducing standards and raising prices across the board, while the Chinese public are taking actual dumps on Shanghai Disneyland. It's quite a shambles, and one that many have long predicted, but Disney has seemed oblivious too.

Nmoody1

I heard that the only reason the crowds in Shanghai are using DisneyTown as a public bathroom is because all the real ones are inside the park, which isn't open to the public yet, so they had nowhere else to go!

You heard wrong.... There are plenty of toilets. Also, the toilets in use use a mix of both western style and Chinese crouch down style toilets

2016-05-04 11.26.36.jpg

lazyboy97o

Why would Disney have expected more cleanliness now than when Hong Kong Disneyland opened?

BrianLo

With #ThanksShanghai, Shanghai Disneyland has taken a metaphorical dump on the US parks, cutting back offerings, reducing standards and raising prices across the board, while the Chinese public are taking actual dumps on Shanghai Disneyland. It's quite a shambles, and one that many have long predicted, but Disney has seemed oblivious too.

No need to be so dramatic. It's not yet in 'shambles'. The sheer fact the deluge of people showing up before the park opens is quite amusing. Like HKDL they will figure things out in time. Mostly more CMs keeping every guest in their sight line, which they currently lack with the park not yet opened.

I've been to a few better Mainland China theme parks and even they were quite tolerable. The higher end places with staff that care seem to be able to keep the citizens in check. With the amount of staff SDL will have they should be able to keep the place up to standards.

Goofyernmost

Hard to take it seriously when the author keeps writing CMs as CM's.

Gee, did everyone miss English class the day apostrophes were taught?
Gee, did someone miss the class the day that explained rude, obnoxious and superior grammar corrections are counter-productive to making a winning argument. Also quite petty and completely irrelevant!

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
So Star Wars Celebration returns to Orlando April 13-16 2017. Should keep the parks busy. Also new Star wars game announced from the makers of Titanfall, not much more than that to say about it. Also an neat prop pic from an upcoming Star Wars movie is making the rounds as well. But I will leave that for you all to find. And that is the Star Wars day lunchtime update, May the Fourth Be With You.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom