The Spirited 11th Hour ...

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
To hell with children, tbh. A LGBT Disney character will happen eventually and I couldn't care less what people think is or is not appropriate.
EtRGgn8.gif

Mulan in the ABC show Once Upon a Time is gay...just to stir the pot a bit (as if it needs stirring)... :D

lazyboy97o

Goofyernmost

I'm losing my mind this morning. Maybe it's the lack of food. Maybe it's the lack of coffee. Maybe it's that I have to deal with United airlines.

Or maybe it's that I have a problem attaching any sense of sexuality to a kid's cartoon character.

The furries have won....
And you are a better person for it. I tried to be careful of my first sentence wording there because I know you have a reputation to maintain and may not want to be considered a "better person", but, associating any sexuality with a cartoon (that isn't p***) is pretty close to borderline sick, if not over the line. :jawdrop:

Last edited:

Rodan75

I just have to draw the line at sexualizing children's content. Art let's meet to entertain children, no matter who else it appeals to you, does not need to be sexualized.

Children don't need to be experiencing sexualization through a cartoon. It's just wrong.

So it's sexualized when it is gay/LGBT but romance when it is straight? Someone in the thread said it more poetically than I just did. The over-arching discussion is not unlike other things discussed in this thread.

the.dreamfinder

I just have to draw the line at sexualizing children's content. Art let's meet to entertain children, no matter who else it appeals to you, does not need to be sexualized.

Children don't need to be experiencing sexualization through a cartoon. It's just wrong.
So gay kids don't get to see themselves represented in the media they consume because of fears of "sexualization"?

PhotoDave219

So it's sexualized when it is gay/LGBT but romance when it is straight? Someone in the thread said it more poetically than I just did. The over-arching discussion is not unlike other things discussed in this thread.

I don't recall saying that. I seem to recall saying adults shouldn't force sexualization of things aimed at children.

So gay kids don't get to see themselves represented in the media they consume because of fears of "sexualization"?

We're talking about Disney films aimed at 5 year olds and up. I have no desire to discuss when people start forming or realizing their sexual identity, but we're discussing little kids and what they consume as entertainment

Mike S

Yes, omg this irritates me so much. As an out gay man, its so cringey when I see someone's fan fic of Prince Philip and Prince Charming locking lips. It just rubs me the wrong way for some reason o_O Totally not what you're speaking about, exactly, but I do hate when previously established characters are "re-imagined" to suit someone's fantasy
Say what you want about people who do fan fics like that, but this will always be funny.
image.png

Rodan75

Fine. Split the hair. Whatever.

It isn't splitting a hair. I disagree with the concept of making Princesses/Princes LGBT because they have been fantasized that way by the fan community. Same goes for Star Wars and other fictional characters.

However, sexual identity has been a component of nearly ever Disney animated movie, so this movement has a point. Especially if folks ignore straight romanticized love in Disney movies and say that queer romanticized love is sexualization. Unfortunately by saying what you have said in your previous posts, you pretty much proved the point that this movement was trying to make.

Soarin' Over Pgh

I don't recall saying that. I seem to recall saying adults shouldn't force sexualization of things aimed at children.

We're talking about Disney films aimed at 5 year olds and up. I have no desire to discuss when people start forming or realizing their sexual identity, but we're discussing little kids and what they consume as entertainment

I get what you're saying, Dave. Disney animation is primarily designed for very young audiences and the characters in the films have a huge impact on children's lives- whether it be play time (haven't you ever hung out on the backyard tire swing and declared yourself a mighty pirate?!), naptime (Disney merchandise- bedding, plushes, pillows, sleepwear), dining (again, Disney merchandise... even I have an Elsa mug!) or daily activities- there really isn't a need to thrust the idea of "this girl likes other girls and that's ok". I get that IT IS INDEED OK, I'm totally cool with it- but for the target audience at large it's simply unneccessary.

Children are exploited enough. I've seen my fair share of Disney toddler bikinis to know that yes, they are so cute and your little monster is just adorable in it, but the neighbor pedo thinks so too, so there's that. Kids can't be kids in todays society- LET IT GO. Let them play, let them kiss who they want. But for heavens sake it's not required reading for a three year old.

The innocence has been lost. Don't make it worse.

Sped2424

Okay I get nasty fan art that is improper and stuff like that but again two men kissing is considering sexualizing a cartoon?
2ef25990d9d76c8086a3e0c8b0070075.jpg

Not this canon scene?
Esmeralda-Dancing-at-Topsy-Turvy-Day-esmeralda-35095791-1920-1080.jpg

Or this one?
2DFDE3D100000578-3298724-The_real_Ms_Rabbit_The_cartoon_became_a_symbol_of_silver_screen_-m-111_1446348976525.jpg

The list goes on. I think you should say "I have an issue when people add lgbt characters into the forefront and let them be open about it in terms of their own sexuality". Rather than "Sexuality" in general in cartoons. Cause that's something that has existed by the very company we all seem to enjoy for decades.

Last edited:

Andrew_Ryan

Implying a character's sexual orientation does not mean exposing children to inappropriate imagery or themes. There is a big difference between implications of sexual identity in a character like Elsa that children can identify with, and invasive sexualizing of children's entertainment by adults. It's the difference between showing Anna and Kristoff kissing versus, say, the bronie phenomenon.

Sped2424

It isn't splitting a hair. I disagree with the concept of making Princesses/Princes LGBT because they have been fantasized that way by the fan community. Same goes for Star Wars and other fictional characters.

However, sexual identity has been a component of nearly ever Disney animated movie, so this movement has a point. Especially if folks ignore straight romanticized love in Disney movies and say that queer romanticized love is sexualization. Unfortunately by saying what you have said in your previous posts, you pretty much proved the point that this movement was trying to make.
I agree with you. But I will say for everyone Elsa has not been confirmed to be any sort of LGBT character therefore for now she is not an lgbt character. BUT for the people who see that in her story arc I would like to share a post of mine that delves into why people can interpret her as a CODED lgbt character. And it goes far beyond not having a male love interest. That can be seen here for those who wish to gain a perspective on perhaps why some folks can see her story lining up with lgbt themes
http://didyouknowmagic.tumblr.com/p...ouknowmagic-reading-into-it-elsa-frozen#notes

Rodan75

I agree with you. But I will say for everyone Elsa has not been confirmed to be any sort of LGBT character therefore for now she is not an lgbt character. BUT for the people who see that in her story arc I would like to share a post of mine that delves into why people can interpret her as a CODED lgbt character. And it goes far beyond not having a male love interest. That can be seen here for those who wish to gain a perspective on perhaps why some folks can see her story lining up with lgbt themes
http://didyouknowmagic.tumblr.com/p...ouknowmagic-reading-into-it-elsa-frozen#notes

Great post! I totally understand what you seeing as a coded LGBT character...but the same insight could be applied to children with disabilities or other perceived inadequacies or differences. I think Elsa's journey in Frozen is best as a blank slate and that folks can interpret that in many different ways, which adds to the reason it has been such a successful movie.

On the negative side, you could also see that coding as gay-baiting. Engineering these characters as potential icons, getting a fan base and never acting on it because it wasn't specifically stated. Which is why my preference is to leave characters blank slates, no expectations no disappointment on losing an icon. But I totally understand what people see in the character.

Soarin' Over Pgh

But WHY DO WE HAVE TO BRAND THEM?

Isn't it our job as adults to teach children to "be themselves" ?? Why do we have to brand Elsa as LGBT?

Children are sexualized enough already. Don't add more tags to them. Just stop.

Sped2424

Great post! I totally understand what you seeing as a coded LGBT character...but the same insight could be applied to children with disabilities or other perceived inadequacies or differences. I think Elsa's journey in Frozen is best as a blank slate and that folks can interpret that in many different ways, which adds to the reason it has been such a successful movie.

On the negative side, you could also see that coding as gay-baiting. Engineering these characters as potential icons, getting a fan base and never acting on it because it wasn't specifically stated. Which is why my preference is to leave characters blank slates, no expectations no disappointment on losing an icon. But I totally understand what people see in the character.
I mentioned that too! I said her story is very universal for anxiety, depression as well! The point I want to drive home is out of everything done that Disney has made her story lines up with the most with something that deals with lgbt issues. And I get you compliant too! They left her this slate that people really can draw whatever they want from it. Something they are going to have to rectify should a sequel happen because this time winter can't save them from having to develop her more. The sequel has a lot to work with at the moment and I think they have a tiny problem with that on their hands!

brb1006

In Japan news, Universal Studios Japan announced they beat their already record attendance by 1.2 million for the 2015 fiscal year. They did 13.9 million guests while Tokyo Disney saw a slight decrease to 30.191 million guests for both parks in the same period. Depending on how the crowds were split up between Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea, it is entirely possible at this point that Universal Studios Japan beat TDS in attendance! No wonder then Oriental Land Co. is accelerating their "OLC in 2023" program by moving the end to March 2021.

What impact will The Flying Dinosaur have on attendance at USJ? They credit the Anime and Video Game temporary attraction for the amazing results in 2015, so I can't imagine how many extra guests it will bring given the reports of record waits at the ride.

I am going to USJ in June and I am not taking any chances. I already booked my entrance ticket and two Universal Express booklets to ride Flying Dinosaur, Kyary Kyary Panyu VR (rethemed Space Fantasy until the end of June) and Hollywood Dream: Backdrop.
Don't miss Magical Starlight

brb1006

Rule 34 No Exceptions

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom