The Spirited 11th Hour ...

Mike S

In Japan news, Universal Studios Japan announced they beat their already record attendance by 1.2 million for the 2015 fiscal year. They did 13.9 million guests while Tokyo Disney saw a slight decrease to 30.191 million guests for both parks in the same period. Depending on how the crowds were split up between Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea, it is entirely possible at this point that Universal Studios Japan beat TDS in attendance! No wonder then Oriental Land Co. is accelerating their "OLC in 2023" program by moving the end to March 2021.

What impact will The Flying Dinosaur have on attendance at USJ? They credit the Anime and Video Game temporary attraction for the amazing results in 2015, so I can't imagine how many extra guests it will bring given the reports of record waits at the ride.

I am going to USJ in June and I am not taking any chances. I already booked my entrance ticket and two Universal Express booklets to ride Flying Dinosaur, Kyary Kyary Panyu VR (rethemed Space Fantasy until the end of June) and Hollywood Dream: Backdrop.
If that's what happens with temporary attractions the park will be breaking all kinds of records when Nintendo opens. I'm talking Hogsmeade Orlando type opening crowds.

RSoxNo1

In other news ESPN hates Schilling so much they edited out the 'bloody sock' from a special on the Red Sox and Yankees.

Funny how Today's Disney seems to like doing Stalin era tricks like making someone an unperson as in they never existed retouching them out of photographs and films.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...sock-game-cut-from-red-sox-yankees-30-for-30/
Does anyone else think I'm nuts when I say that ESPN has lost credibility? I also heard that they didn't show Kevin Faulk in the Tom Brady jersey at the draft but I don't know if that was true.

You don't have to like Schilling, or his comments to think that this "cut for time" doesn't pass the smell test. I get why he was fired, it's not right, but I get it.

Goofyernmost

Personally I don't put sexual orientation to any fictional character until they indicate a preference. So while yes Elsa is an undeclared. But undeclared doesn't make you LGBT. In Frozen it meant that a women was not defined by a man, which is huge progress for a Disney princess movie. Saying that lack of sexual interest automatically makes Elsa queer is just as damaging as assuming she needs a man to define herself.

I say let Elsa continue to be defined by her actions and not by her sexuality.
Could not agree more. But, if we don't label something how can we possibly look down on it? Sad, sad world!

PhotoDave219

Could not agree more. But, if we don't label something how can we possibly look down on it? Sad, sad world!

I'm losing my mind this morning. Maybe it's the lack of food. Maybe it's the lack of coffee. Maybe it's that I have to deal with United airlines.

Or maybe it's that I have a problem attaching any sense of sexuality to a kid's cartoon character.

The furries have won....

Soarin' Over Pgh

I'm losing my mind this morning. Maybe it's the lack of food. Maybe it's the lack of coffee. Maybe it's that I have to deal with United airlines.

Or maybe it's that I have a problem attaching any sense of sexuality to a kid's cartoon character.

The furries have won....

.... Anthro-Con is having their annual Furry Fest throughout the streets of Pittsburgh, starting June 30th... c'mon over. It's entertaining, if nothing else. http://www.anthrocon.org/ Last year, I saw a person dressed as a beaver, dressed as Elsa. If I wouldn't have been hit by oncoming traffic, I'd have snapped a pic of it. It was... uh. Enchanting?

Sped2424

The furries have won....
Disney films have dealt with the concept of true love and budding romance for decades to suddenly ask when Disney films started dealing with "sexuality" and act as if it's something new and impure when an LGBT character could be involved is a bit jaded wouldn't you say?

dupac

HBO's Silicon Valley this week was dead on... where the CEO basically steers the company not based on what the IP or creators of the company envision.. but on what the returns on the stock/investment will be.

He challenges the founder: "What is our product?" and responds "The STOCK!"
It's not only funny, but makes you cry inside a bit too.
Love Silicon Valley... especially when after a career change I suddenly found myself in the world of IT development. It's on point a lot.

Cesar R M

How the holy duck did we get on the topic of sexuality of fictional, animated characters?

Just let it go already.
You will be horrified if you navigated in many fandoms or social sites.
Its amazing how some people would love to explicitly dissect every single piece of sexuality or mental status of each fictional character in ridiculous details. (or even adding some weird "head canons" to established characters) :hungover:

Cesar R M

.... Anthro-Con is having their annual Furry Fest throughout the streets of Pittsburgh, starting June 30th... c'mon over. It's entertaining, if nothing else. http://www.anthrocon.org/ Last year, I saw a person dressed as a beaver, dressed as Elsa. If I wouldn't have been hit by oncoming traffic, I'd have snapped a pic of it. It was... uh. Enchanting?
As someone who was at the David L. Lawrence convention center during a furry convention (was visiting pittsburgh for my first time)
You will be surprised what you see.
What you see outside is extremely tame compared to what you see in the hotel or inside the convention center :depressed: (some stuff is at the levels of a gay pride parade )

FigmentForver96

Yes, omg this irritates me so much. As an out gay man, its so cringey when I see someone's fan fic of Prince Philip and Prince Charming locking lips. It just rubs me the wrong way for some reason o_O Totally not what you're speaking about, exactly, but I do hate when previously established characters are "re-imagined" to suit someone's fantasy
Same here, like it if done, do it right. Plus that OUAT episode was just awful. Not the romance per day, but it felt so rushed and unauthentic. Like "Dang we promised we would do this, how can we throw this in really quick!"

PhotoDave219

Yes, omg this irritates me so much. As an out gay man, its so cringey when I see someone's fan fic of Prince Philip and Prince Charming locking lips. It just rubs me the wrong way for some reason o_O Totally not what you're speaking about, exactly, but I do hate when previously established characters are "re-imagined" to suit someone's fantasy

I just have to draw the line at sexualizing children's content. Art let's meet to entertain children, no matter who else it appeals to you, does not need to be sexualized.

Children don't need to be experiencing sexualization through a cartoon. It's just wrong.

PhotoDave219

I'm not sure what you mean by 'sexualization'? Are you using the term to refer to your dislike of the actual act of sex or the act of establishing someone's sexual identity? If its the first, then I agree. If its the latter, then I'll have to respectfully bow out because I disagree.

I guess the act of forcing any kind of sexuality Or sexual ideals on something aimed at children.

These are clearly adults that are trying to force some sort of sexual identity on Elsa and that's just not right. It's a kids thing. Leave it alone. IMO

PhotoDave219

Oh, I see what you're saying, and I agree with that. Previously established characters are just that, why change it? Let her be a lesbian or a bisexual, in your world if you want, but it is not necessary to re-write the Frozen cannon. Just create an entirely new story to usher in this type of diversity.

But my point is she's a kids cartoon character. She shouldn't have any sexuality whatsoever. Let alone ones that are forced by adults.

She's a kid's cartoon character. Some things need to be left for the kids

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom