The Spirited 11th Hour ...

Rodan75

I'll pop back in soon, but some things to consider
  • Frozen made $48 Million in China
  • Foreign studios like Disney only get to keep 25% of their BO grosses in China
  • In Asian markets that one could consider gay friendly like South Korea, Japan, Forzen made $76 million and $250 million respectively
  • The same could be also said of gay friendly makrets in Western Europe
  • Elsa is gay. The filmmakers just haven't outright acknowledged it, but the subtextual arguement is too clear to ignore

Personally I don't put sexual orientation to any fictional character until they indicate a preference. So while yes Elsa is an undeclared. But undeclared doesn't make you LGBT. In Frozen it meant that a women was not defined by a man, which is huge progress for a Disney princess movie. Saying that lack of sexual interest automatically makes Elsa queer is just as damaging as assuming she needs a man to define herself.

I say let Elsa continue to be defined by her actions and not by her sexuality.

Quinnmac000

• In Asian markets that one could consider gay friendly like South Korea, Japan, Forzen made $76 million and $250 million respectively
  • Elsa is gay. The filmmakers just haven't outright acknowledged it, but the subtextual arguement is too clear to ignore

South Korea isn't that gay friendly, very very conservative Christian country. However, their culture is difference to where they wouldn't consider anything Elsa did or acted out of the normal. The biggest thing is with the Moral entertainment law in China. If Elsa is gay, they will block the film completely in China. They have already did it with one of their chinese made extremely popular webshows

captainmoch

I'd love LGB Elsa but I just don't see Disney going forward with it. I don't see the idea of them making a new LGB princess completely out of question, though.

FigmentJedi

Personally I don't put sexual orientation to any fictional character until they indicate a preference. So while yes Elsa is an undeclared. But undeclared doesn't make you LGBT. In Frozen it meant that a women was not defined by a man, which is huge progress for a Disney princess movie. Saying that lack of sexual interest automatically makes Elsa queer is just as damaging as assuming she needs a man to define herself.

Remember how people immediately went Merida=Lesbian because she likes sports and isn't interested in arranged marriage?

Mike S

Are you forgetting Mulan?

Soarin' Over Pgh

Personally, and without adopting politics.... I really, truly, honestly, sincerely, couldn't possibly care less if Elsa is supposed to be gay.

That said... Does this mean every strong lead female character is gay and/or lgbt friendly?

Cesar R M

Magic is just a biproduct from making a metrics duckton of money.
Meanwhile.. at Iger's in Corporate Disney HeadQuarters.

2pmZdHr.jpg

Cesar R M

Remember how people immediately went Merida=Lesbian because she likes sports and isn't interested in arranged marriage?
Which ironically is the same dumb stereotype of "strong women = Butch lesbo women". Who conservative religious dudes love to spew everywhere in their road to undermine women (after being rejected by said strong woman).

Its just some sort of silly mental revenge for being "friend zoned".

Last edited:

Absimilliard

In Japan news, Universal Studios Japan announced they beat their already record attendance by 1.2 million for the 2015 fiscal year. They did 13.9 million guests while Tokyo Disney saw a slight decrease to 30.191 million guests for both parks in the same period. Depending on how the crowds were split up between Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea, it is entirely possible at this point that Universal Studios Japan beat TDS in attendance! No wonder then Oriental Land Co. is accelerating their "OLC in 2023" program by moving the end to March 2021.

What impact will The Flying Dinosaur have on attendance at USJ? They credit the Anime and Video Game temporary attraction for the amazing results in 2015, so I can't imagine how many extra guests it will bring given the reports of record waits at the ride.

I am going to USJ in June and I am not taking any chances. I already booked my entrance ticket and two Universal Express booklets to ride Flying Dinosaur, Kyary Kyary Panyu VR (rethemed Space Fantasy until the end of June) and Hollywood Dream: Backdrop.

ThemeParkTraveller

In Japan news, Universal Studios Japan announced they beat their already record attendance by 1.2 million for the 2015 fiscal year. They did 13.9 million guests while Tokyo Disney saw a slight decrease to 30.191 million guests for both parks in the same period. Depending on how the crowds were split up between Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea, it is entirely possible at this point that Universal Studios Japan beat TDS in attendance! No wonder then Oriental Land Co. is accelerating their "OLC in 2023" program by moving the end to March 2021.

I wish they would accelerate the Frozen-themed port. I wouldn't be surprised if attendance at TDS matched TDL's current numbers after that opens.

GiveMeTheMusic

What impact will The Flying Dinosaur have on attendance at USJ? They credit the Anime and Video Game temporary attraction for the amazing results in 2015, so I can't imagine how many extra guests it will bring given the reports of record waits at the ride.

I am going to USJ in June and I am not taking any chances. I already booked my entrance ticket and two Universal Express booklets to ride Flying Dinosaur, Kyary Kyary Panyu VR (rethemed Space Fantasy until the end of June) and Hollywood Dream: Backdrop.

USJ is the single most crowded place I've ever been in my life. Without Express Passes there is no point to even going. Have an amazing time!

BrianLo

Seems wise. I bought some sort of express ticket as well. It was helpful for Hollywood Dream. Space Fantasy though had a single rider line that was practically a walk on.

Granted this was pre-Potter and the attendance boom!

Edit: also it was in early July which seems to be one of the very few slow periods for the parks.

seabreezept813

wow...I just forgot that you know everything about every topic...thanks for setting me straight. With my state university education, I should understand that that the cards are stacked against me and the game is rigged...i mean, why should I even try??? I will never be able to reach my goals or make it to any type of executive position within my company...there is just far too much in the way....thinking otherwise is just so naive....mediocrity it is!
I think with a state school education you can obviously still climb the ladder, but there are more challenges for someone without a college education or high school degree. It depends on the individual case. My husband doesn't have a high school diploma because he grew up in Brazil where he had to drop out to support mom's farm when his dad died. He now makes more than me as a painter than I do as a teacher with a Masters degree.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom