The Spirited 11th Hour ...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
More like the kinds of companies Disney appears to admire now :)

The SVP of a division is not going to be the most experienced person in the business segment that also added management skills to their forte. They are going to be professional management, who have done management virtually their entire career after maybe 5-10 years 'in the trenches' and from there have been people managers or business managers from there on out.

There are exceptions, but usually it comes from inorganic movements/activities.. like aquisitions, etc.. but usually those people flee these executive positions too because the positions don't actually do the kind of work they want.

I have to chuckle when I go through all these executive ranks and see all these people you KNOW did not come from the industry or discipline. There weren't many attractive, highly engaging, sexy blondes in CS school, or working TAC front lines in the 90s... yet your entire executive leadership is that demographic now? Clear that one up for me... And this kind of happens across the board. The executive ranks are a completely different world... who operate on completely different work loads... and are staffed from somewhere that is not the business they are leading :)

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

Animaniac93-98

It'll be a about 75 minutes worth of bonus video content. I remember when 2-disc DVDs with hours worth of stuff (including commentaries) were the norm for Disney home video releases. The 47-minute "Imagining Zootopia" documentary, will remain a youtube exclusive.

And a 3D US release! Color me surprised. Still waiting on that Frozen 3D Blu-ray in America. Guess Disney doesn't want free money

And speaking of leaving money on the table, it looks like Disney will be the last (or only not) major studio to get on board with 4K UHD. But hey, you can pay Blu-ray combo pack prices to get a digital-only copy of The Force Awakens from itunes. :hungover:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Well it's no longer about making sure the company does great IMO, it's everyone for themselves, and if it fails, you get a golden parachute on your way out

HBO's Silicon Valley this week was dead on... where the CEO basically steers the company not based on what the IP or creators of the company envision.. but on what the returns on the stock/investment will be.

He challenges the founder: "What is our product?" and responds "The STOCK!"
It's not only funny, but makes you cry inside a bit too.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
HBO's Silicon Valley this week was dead on... where the CEO basically steers the company not based on what the IP or creators of the company envision.. but on what the returns on the stock/investment will be.

He challenges the founder: "What is our product?" and responds "The STOCK!"
It's not only funny, but makes you cry inside a bit too.

Just like Disney where "The STOCK!" is actually the product they are selling.

Nick Pappagiorgio

went on Jungle Cruise today....had a very cute skipper but she was waaaaaay off script, making her own jokes it seemed like.

During the "backside of water" area, she said "I can tell you how to get free fastpasses", then went silent as the falls were so loud acting like she was talking but couldn't hear her....

BUT she also said after the natives with spears weren't doing anything...."They're frozen, Just like everything else in this park".......wow.

We had a guy use the Frozen joke when something was down in January.

Quinnmac000

Rodan75

Rodan75

That has been going viral for the longest and if Disney truly wants to put their money where their mouth is I hope they go for it but with China's Anti-LGBT laws (brought on thanks to the West), the middle east partner and the religious families they don't want to offend, I doubt they will.

Not just China, Russia would be a total no go along with several other markets. That's the problem with global movies, diversity doesn't work as well. And there is no acceptance for territorial edits.

the.dreamfinder

I'll pop back in soon, but some things to consider
  • Frozen made $48 Million in China
  • Foreign studios like Disney only get to keep 25% of their BO grosses in China
  • In Asian markets that one could consider gay friendly like South Korea, Japan, Forzen made $76 million and $250 million respectively
  • The same could be also said of gay friendly makrets in Western Europe
  • Elsa is gay. The filmmakers just haven't outright acknowledged it, but the subtextual arguement is too clear to ignore

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom