The Spirited 11th Hour ...

Marriedatdisney

Did you take pics? Did you show them to management? Did you complain and explain politely but firmly that what you were given was not acceptable? Did you take your park upkeep/neglect concerns up with people at the parks?

Complaining here is perfectly acceptable. But it isn't a solution.

Took some pictures. Frankly didn't expect anything I could do would really matter. Does it? Would an email with pictures showing missing trim work and hanging panels on the monorail really surprise these execs? Do emails really get read by anyone with power enough and drive to do anything? Let me know what would actually work and I'll try it.

I'm an entrepreneur that sold a company to a fortune 20 and then worked there for five years. I know how these soulless corporations run. And this isn't a sanders-esque 1%er rant. I'm a conservative that does quite well. But having experienced it, most executives are the duck and cover political types that won enough survivor battles to rise to a top position. They get comped on stock price and EPS. They could give a .... about the product or their customer. Why would an email spur action they likely know about already? The only thing that matters is when the revenue starts to dry up and the financial engineering hits a brick wall....

But I'm game to throw a long ball if you tell me how to get it noticed. I'm no whale to Disney but a solid source of annual revenue. Likely a target customer with two kids under 12 and disposable income.

theRIOT

Sorry, can't share that just yet. But it is good ... and likely will wind up on the Twitter before I ever talk about it here.
But really, it was only a matter of time. I doubt this is the first. Maybe the Lifestylers will hit up their flocks to pay their tax bills next.

You were not the only one, believe me.:greedy::devilish:;):D

There is only one name I want to be attached to this story. That makes me sound horrible, but the guy needs brought down a peg or two.

ParentsOf4

I'm still Bullish on Shanghai Disneyland but, it seems, not everyone is:

Can Shanghai Disneyland Survive China's Downturn?
Gordon G. Chang, Contributor, Forbes

Shanghai Disneyland, which opens June 16, will make a “loud statement” said Walt Disney Company CEO Bob Iger at the Deutsche Bank 2016 Media, Internet & Telecom Conference on Tuesday.

He’s right. Although Disney has only a 43% stake in the park—a state enterprise, Shanghai Shendi Group, owns the rest—the investment should substantially change the way the investment community views Iger’s company, although perhaps not in the way he envisions.

The destination, costing $5.5 billion and covering 963 acres, will be a wonder to behold, as pictures, released by the company on March 8 to mark the 100-day run-up to the opening, reveal. Six “themed lands” will surround the 196-foot Enchanted Storybook Castle, the tallest Disney castle anywhere. At no other Disney park will you find Treasure Cove, one of the six lands. There, expect to enjoy Pirates of the Caribbean attractions.

Want to see the Lion King in Mandarin? There’s only one place to go.

And say hello to Mulan, in Fantasyland, from the Voyage to the Crystal Grotto water ride, or dodge Stormtroopers on the Star Wars attraction in Tomorrowland. If you’re a Tron or Toy Story fan, you will not be disappointed.

But don’t expect to stroll down Main Street, U.S.A. It’s at every other Disney park around the world—there’s a different name in Tokyo—but you won’t find it in Shanghai.

The glaring omission, however, may not be important. After all, the best thing about the park if you’re a Disney shareholder, which I’m not, is that it is in China. Iger thinks there are “well over” 300 million people who can afford a ticket and who live within three and half hours of its gates. As the Disney chief tells us, that’s a group about the size of the United States.

And there are plenty of Chinese in the demographic that matters most for Disney. Some 60% of the visitors to Tokyo Disneyland are aged 4-17, and China has 200 million people in that population cohort.

Chinese of all ages will flock to Disney’s new project, which benefits from its location in the most populous of China’s four so-called Tier 1 cities. Shanghai sits on the mighty Yangtze River, and as Naomi Ng of the South China Morning Post suggests, Disney will benefit from the transportation links that city has by virtue of being at the mouth of that 3,915-mile artery, the third-longest river in the world. No wonder China International Capital Corp. believes the park will enjoy “sustained popularity.”

How could it not be popular? Last year, there were, according to the China National Tourism Administration, 4 billion trips to Mainland China destinations. That meant 4 trillion yuan in tourism revenue.

For Disney, the numbers mean renminbi in the bank. China International Capital Corp. estimates there will be 11.5 million visitors in first year of operation.

The estimate looks conservative. For one thing, Disney products are already popular in China. And even more important, both the Shanghai Municipality and the central government recognize that the high-profile park’s success is important to them, so they will act accordingly.

Yet there is one problem. Ng of the South China Morning Post notes that analysts believe “Shanghai Disneyland will lead China’s tourism industry growth despite the country’s current economic woes.”

Those woes bring us to the worst thing about Shanghai Disneyland: The park is located in China.

In that country, the economy is obviously in distress.

So is Iger worried? “We build things to last many years,” he told CNBC last July. “Disneyland was built 60 years ago and has been through the ups and downs of the U.S. economy for six decades.”

In those six decades, however, the U.S. never faced a situation as serious as the one now confronting China’s technocrats.

Those technocrats are now running what has become known as “the two-track economy.” “There is the bad old industrial economy—credit-fueled and investment-led, resulting in chronic overcapacity and unsold apartment blocks,” writes the Financial Times’s Tom Mitchell. “And there is the good new services economy—innovative and consumption-driven.”

That new economy, powered by consumption, is crucial to Shanghai Disneyland. Yet analysts overestimate the potential of Chinese consumer spending. Even if consumption accounted for 66.4% of China’s GDP last year—doubtful for many reasons—the rise of the free-spending Chinese is just about over.

Just ask one of the most bullish analysts of the Chinese economy. “Consumption doesn’t drive growth,” writes Yukon Huang of the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. “It’s the result of growth.”

And as Anne Stevenson-Yang of J Capital Research notes, China’s growth as well as its consumption are the result of now-condemned investment. “Chinese consumption requires ever larger injections of cash,” she writes in a February 15 research note titled “China’s Household Wealth.” “This means that, if and when the investment-driven economy collapses, consumption will also cave in.”

As Stevenson-Yang points out, “a stunning amount of cash must now be poured into the open maw of the economy simply to keep the ATMs open.” In the long-term, the success of its park in Shanghai depends on a transition from an investment-led economy to a consumption-based one. If that move does not occur—and Chinese leaders are pouring on the investment as growth slows, in-country wealth erodes, household income falls, and indicators point to even weaker employment ahead—then the long-term prospects of the park are questionable.

Yet color Iger optimistic. “We’re not concerned with the Chinese economy and we’re extremely bullish about the long-term prospects of it,” he told CNBC in his July interview.

And he also mentioned to the channel that Shanghai Disneyland is one of his company’s “most important projects.” “Growing in China is a huge priority for us and our primary approach in terms of growth is this park, so obviously it’s extremely important and very exciting,” Iger said.

Disney is making a large bet on Shanghai—and China—at what increasingly looks like the wrong time. China’s downturn could last decades, and it’s not clear Disney will want to wait that out.
Of course, what the writer doesn't realize is that Disney has long track record of dumping cash into money-losing international theme parks. ;)

Last edited:

Bairstow

I still cannot figure out why TWDC felt it necessary to change the relationships i.e. Kermit dating a new pig etc.

You don't really think they're going to get through the season without their getting back together, do you?
If you want to do a love story arc, you don't start with the characters being together.
That's writing 101... or if there's something before 101, it's that.

Cesar R M

Or @Tom Morrow . Or me.
  1. Maelstrom
  2. Honey, I Shrunk the Audience!
  3. Captain EO
  4. Studio Backlot Tour
  5. The Magic of Disney Animation
  6. The American Idol Experience (Not that anyone missed it)
  7. Sounds Dangerous! (Nobody missed this either)
  8. The Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow (Hardly an "attraction")
  9. The California Soarin' (Yes I'm counting it)
  10. The Original Star Tours (I'm also counting this)
  11. Honey, I Shrunk the Audience! (Does since 2010 include 2010?)
What about entertainment and streetmosphere?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
You don't really think they're going to get through the season without their getting back together, do you?
If you want to do a love story arc, you don't start with the characters being together.
That's writing 101... or if there's something before 101, it's that.

Since it's not a NEW story you could simply leave it alone and concentrate on doing stuff like they did in the YouTube videos which were for the most part brillaint I'm a long time muppets fan but after watching the first two episodes I stopped watching.

I suspect it's another case of Iger's Pharaoh syndrome where he has a deep seated need to hammer out the cartouches of previous Pharaoh's

FigmentJedi

Since it's not a NEW story you could simply leave it alone and concentrate on doing stuff like they did in the YouTube videos which were for the most part brillaint I'm a long time muppets fan but after watching the first two episodes I stopped watching.

I suspect it's another case of Iger's Pharaoh syndrome where he has a deep seated need to hammer out the cartouches of previous Pharaoh's
It gets way better as the season goes on. Everything after the Christmas episode is much better.

Mike S

And say hello to Mulan, in Fantasyland, from the Voyage to the Crystal Grotto water ride, or dodge Stormtroopers on the Star Wars attraction in Tomorrowland. If you’re a Tron or Toy Story fan, you will not be disappointed.
So that's where the $800 million went. A surprise attraction that will be constructed in a matter of months since we haven't seen the construction start yet!!!!!!! ;)

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Does it matter of several things on the list had replacements?
Or do we just ignore that because if it's new, there's no possible way it's better?

Now, the outright cuts and closings, that's very sad to see. Especially all at once.

And most of the so called replacements have ALSO been cut earning their own slots on the list

montyz81

Don't forget the

Ozzie and Sharon Lightacular (in deference to Spirit's play on this attraction since it's his thread)
PUSH
Toontown
Ziti Sisters
Comic Waiters
B'net Al Houwariyate

That's 33 and I know I'm forgetting at least a half dozen shows and performances
Or @Tom Morrow . Or me.
  1. Maelstrom
  2. Honey, I Shrunk the Audience!
  3. Captain EO
  4. Studio Backlot Tour
  5. The Magic of Disney Animation
  6. The American Idol Experience (Not that anyone missed it)
  7. Sounds Dangerous! (Nobody missed this either)
  8. The Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow (Hardly an "attraction")
  9. The California Soarin' (Yes I'm counting it)
  10. The Original Star Tours (I'm also counting this)
  11. Honey, I Shrunk the Audience! (Does since 2010 include 2010?)
For Epcot this is a huge one as this was the one place that put Experiment in Epcot: Innovations West

alphac2005

The CCP will love its Disney Resort. And it will see to it that it is a success. And that it produces huge attendance numbers. And Bob Iger will act (here) like he is in total control and the financial press will eat it up so long as cuts at WDW and huge tentpole films can make the bottom line look great.

BTW, for those who think these big media companies hate each other and such, realize that Bob Iger is on CNBC -- unchallenged no matter what he says -- so often that they should give him his own show and time slot!

That's simple as just like their GDP, they'll simply state completely falsified numbers. ;)

StageFrenzy

I did read it. Focusing on this bit ^^^

Which is it? RoL will be too popular? Or not popular enough?

The article you linked claims it will be a capacity nightmare. So, popular.

Then you claim they will have to rework it, and you imply it'll happen quickly, because it wont be well liked without characters.

Which is it?

also, for those that won't read the whole article, the writer closes by saying Disney will get it right. So, the headline is a little overdone.
I think it will be really popular and will be a madhouse, however guest will complain it isn't Disney enough and will want them to rework it.

Nmoody1

Let's see ... 747s ... at least UAL's are ancient. I haven't been on a 747-800 because very few majors (Lufthansa and Korean are the two I know off-hand) fly them. I haven't been on a Dreamliner yet. I had hoped to fly one sooner, but wind up on A380s (which I thought I would hate, but don't) instead.

DCL is likely to go heavy on what is popular today. In other words, Star Wars and Marvel and Frozen and anything that does well at the box office this year and next will likely find a way on them. Look at SDL's menu for an idea of how far out these design choices get made.

EPCOT Spring Food and Wine Fest (NOW FOR 90 DAYS FOR YOUR DRINKING PLEASURE!) is such a joke compared to spring events in Paris and Tokyo. Oh, look, they moved the Frozen topiaries to a new location! That's progress for ya! Hell, Tokyo has a three month Easter Celebration (@WDWFigment has blogged about it) in a nation where almost no one celebrates the holiday. Look at what WDW gives you.

Star Wars will likely be the focus of the Spring Food and Wine Fest when SWL opens. I actually heard that some folks at TDO thought they could add Marvel topiaries to the event and suggested it (this was either last year or the one before) before someone explained that UNI's rights include trees shaped like Thor.

Congrats on the DVC Party. I was in Europe and wondered what that was about as I am now sorta a DVCer. All I saw were the typical O-Town Lifestylers tweeting from it and some pre-event event at the Top of the World 2.0 that involved Cupcake and a giant Orange Bird (of course). How do these people live in theme parks?

I have the feeling I didn't answer anything you brought up ... sorry!

Absolutely loved the parade at TDL for easter. It blows me away that they go all out and the Easter parade at MK hasn't performed since before most Disney supporters on here were born! The EPCOT festivals really could be something that brings entertainment and demonstrations and some life to the park. It's a shame!

I was expecting the same for the new ships. With everyone else in the industry upping thier game, Disney will have thier work cut out. A few years ago I would have had every faith that Disney would bring some industry leading draws to the ship... I worry now they will just put in what they need to - it seems to be a winning formula - disney love a cash cow!

Onto aircraft - they are tired, ours had new seats added so they look fresh, but compared to the lighting of the 787, the lower altitude pressure and the higher windows (really does make a difference) - the 747 does feel a lot more claustrophobic despite being bigger! My next flight on the 787 takes me to shanghai... so I'll be checking out the castle on my trip to the hotel! :)

SYRIK2000

Oh, I'm sorry, usually people make me leave those out as they're "not attractions".
  1. Pixar Pals Countdown to Fun
  2. Block Party Bash
  3. SpectroMagic
  4. Off Kilter
  5. Those Stupid Lumberjacks
  6. Celebrate a Dream Come True
  7. Jammin' Jungle Parade
  8. Kim Possible World Showcase Adventure
  9. Dragon Legend Acrobats
  10. Miyuki
  11. Mo'Rockin
  12. The God-Awful High School Musical Show
  13. Fife and Drum Corps
  14. Everything in Star Wars Weekends
  15. The British Invasion
  16. The World Showcase Players
I also forgot a couple "real" attractions
  1. Snow White's Scary Adventures
  2. The Enchanted Tiki Room Under New Management (Actually deserved to catch on fire)
If I missed any entertainment blame the extremely turbulent history of the department and how impossible it is to keep track of.
Alien Encounter

Wikkler

I still cannot figure out why TWDC felt it necessary to change the relationships i.e. Kermit dating a new pig etc.

You could update the show without changing the elements that made the Muppets well 'The Muppets'. Some of the YouTube stuff was absolutely brilliant like Gordon Ramsay vs The Swedish Chef, Bohemian Rhapsody, The Swedish Chef 'Popcorn Shrimp' and Pumpkin Pie.

If the show had been HALF as good as those YouTube shorts it would have been AMAZING.
Muppets and Tron are in the same boat for me. I like the idea of them being used, but 95% of the time the execution sucks
Watch out you guys, you might attract a purple big cat.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom