The Spirited 11th Hour ...

Cesar R M

Zootopia has the highest opening of any movie from Disney Feature Animation when not adjusting for inflation, but it still comes pretty close to what Lion King did back in 1994 (about $85 million in 2016 dollars) even when you do consider the difference in ticket price. As for overall attendence? I can't figure out a direct comparison.
Whatever.. they have no excuse now.
They must do something from zootopia other than just a M&G.

Unplugged

I'm as much a Star Wars fan as much as the next guy, but this is excessive.
What makes you <Frozen> believe that <Frozen> Disney is really <Frozen> going to <Frozen> do anything <Frozen><Frozen> excessive here? Isn't <Frozen> it only what <Frozen> the fans are <Frozen> begging for <Frozen>?

After all <Frozen>, Disney never <Frozen> does <Frozen> anything excessive <Frozen> nor attempt to <Frozen> milk any <Frozen> IP's like <Frozen> dead cows. ;)

NearTheEars

Final weekend total for Zootopia is slightly higher than the estimate at $75 million (vs. $73.7 million).

Wow, bigger than Frozen.
It seemed to me that they did a good job of promoting this one, though.
Unlike The Good Dinosaur, which I would not have known was coming out if I hadn't been reading about it here.
Obviously that's a Pixar release, but not sure if marketing is handled differently.

Wikkler

Funny, because my reaction is... Awesome, they are going to make extensive like they have with the MCU.
Marvel has an extensive background of comics spanning over six decades and features many different established characters and stories.
Star Wars just had the Extended Universe and whoops now it's not canon so they have to make up new plots.
How could someone's pure creative freedom ever go-
t012b9b_jar-jar-binks-stirbt-in-gelschten-starwa.jpg

Oh.

JDL30

MarkTwain

Star Wars fans your wish has come true...

Disney really doesn't understand the idea of restraint, do they?

That many films might be easier to stomach if they were spaced out over a few decades, with some breathing room to build anticipation in between. I'm not sure Disney has the sense to do that though. (Especially looking at how they're handling all the live-action adaptations)

FigmentJedi

Marvel has an extensive background of comics spanning over six decades and features many different established characters and stories.
Star Wars just had the Extended Universe and whoops now it's not canon so they have to make up new plots.
How could someone's pure creative freedom ever go-
t012b9b_jar-jar-binks-stirbt-in-gelschten-starwa.jpg

Oh.
It's more complicated then that. The Expanded Universe grew out of control, full of authors trying to one-up each other and publishing companies refusing to cooperate with one another. Full of dumb stuff like the sentient interdimensional meat cube, the unstoppable BSDM aliens from another galaxy, a succession of ridiculous superweapons, whatever the heck those "Glove of Darth Vader" books were, the video games about the Gary Stu Vader apprentice that can tear Star Destroyers out of orbit and founds the Rebellion, at least 12 different accounts of how the original Death Star plans were stolen, and authors trying to figure out what the Clone War was before the prequels came along. And this 30 years of storytelling was barely held together with a tier system ranking importance and doesn't necessarily mesh when trying to put it together.

In going forward with new movies and television, it was just easier to get rid of that material and start over again from the movies and Clone Wars, pulling elements from the old EU into a new continuity that makes a little more sense and has stories that can now be informed by the larger picture of the prequel era (which saved a bunch of EU concepts during the Clone Wars series). Rebels has already been bringing back elements of the old West End RPGs and the Knights of the Old Republic games. And unlike last time, you have Lucasfilm Story Group functioning as Editorial to make sure all these new stories mesh and connect, and its full of people who have been working on Star Wars stuff for years and would probably love to see some old EU stuff return.

The expanded universe/Legends isn't dead and totally abandoned, it's a Dreamport and Idea Bag for authors and writers to pull elements from.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Couple of moves.

Bob Weiss is moving on to concentrate on his new role as the top man at Imagineering, and is leaving his creative roles at Hong Kong and Shanghai. Replacing him will be Luc Mayrand - who has worked on Space Mountain reworks at DLR and DLP, and Mission Space at Epcot.

Norm Noble from the Poly and Rilious Carter, former DHS VP are both retiring.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom