The Spirited 11th Hour ...

Cesar R M

just wondering wdwmagic.. are there any real renderings or ideas about the new ships already in place?
or they are JUST NOW starting to design?

The images in some of the announcements around, shows clearly bigger ships with huge walled glass panels in the top-front. Very similar to the back of the Quantum Class of Royal Caribbean.

Also, people already mentioned 3 different names.
Are they pure speculation?
I mean.. the Disney's Marvel, Disney's Spirit, Disney's Imagination

Then I remember the old talk.. Disney's Adventure

I'm gonna need a better source.....

Sorry Dave, Thats the best we can offer.. and we're already risking it.
jt9CQ.jpg

cheezbat

I figured new cruise ships would be on the horizon, but I'd much rather see more investment into the stale WDW parks. DAK still has quite a ways to go to be a full day park for me...and the two announced lands for DHS are not enough for that park...and don't even get me started on Epcot. You're gonna plop hundreds of millions(or even billions) on the cruise line but let your flagship resort continue to strut along on life support? Good show Disney.

Ugh I can't even right now.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Right? People are so damned gullible. Are people so lazy that they can't even Google things anymore? Literally, all the information of the world is at your fingertips, yet people seem dumber than they've ever been.

As for us Disney fans- $350 Million and 2 years for a new park? Sounds just like Disney's budget and timetable for a new park. Well, if you add a zero to each, that is.

Yes Google is your friend along with meta-search engines like Dogpile which feeds your search to several engines including Google and Yahoo.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I figured new cruise ships would be on the horizon, but I'd much rather see more investment into the stale WDW parks. DAK still has quite a ways to go to be a full day park for me...and the two announced lands for DHS are not enough for that park...and don't even get me started on Epcot. You're gonna plop hundreds of millions(or even billions) on the cruise line but let your flagship resort continue to strut along on life support? Good show Disney.

Ships are cheap relatively speaking and they can be readily sold so they fit under the 'low risk' category which is so beloved by Iger and company, They also spin revenue like crazy and when sailing under 'flags of convenience' minimum wage laws do not apply to the staff which is even MORE appealing to Disney. (Neither do tough training and certification regulations apply to the ship's officers... as they would if flagged in First World Countries or even China/Russia).

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto

I find it quite humorous that you complain about non-investment in WDW while listing over a billion dollars in investment in WDW (and don't forget about all the investment in the shopping mall and the recent investment in MK for NFL/Hub!).

paging @ford91exploder to mention percentage of CapEx ;)

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I find it quite humorous that you complain about non-investment in WDW while listing over a billion dollars in investment in WDW (and don't forget about all the investment in the shopping mall and the recent investment in MK for NFL/Hub!).

WDW gets no investment, except all this investment, which doesn't count because it doesn't further my agenda.

I got into a back and forth regarding something similar in another thread. All Disney live action movies flop, except the ones that don't. but....those don't count. It's head scratching logic.

Last edited:

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
WDW gets no investment, except all this investment, which doesn't count because it doesn't further my agenda.

I got into a back in forth regarding something similar in another thread. All Disney live action movies flop, except the ones that don't. but....those don't count. It's head scratching logic.
You will notice however that I didn't argue the Epcot languishing, because it furthers my agenda.

Tay

I'm really happy Big Hero 6 will be a tv show on Disney XD. Finally more merch! It really got the short in of the stick because of the serious demand for Frozen at the time.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Growth vs Maintenance CAPEX, Saying 'ONE BILLION DOLLARS' in one's best Dr Evil voice is meaningless unless we know what portion is tasked for maintenance and repair of existing capital assets vs NEW capital assets or if depreciation is greater than 'ONE BILLION DOLLARS' well CAPEX is in that case negative and WDW has indeed had negative capex in years pasts as documented in @ParentsOf4 very informative CAPEX charts.

I have not bothered to calculate this quarter's CAPEX numbers as I'm slowly starting to no longer care what happens at WDW. After 30 years well perhaps it's time just to think about the good times past and not give a damn about WDW going forward.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Growth vs Maintenance CAPEX, Saying 'ONE BILLION DOLLARS' in one's best Dr Evil voice is meaningless unless we know what portion is tasked for maintenance and repair of existing capital assets vs NEW capital assets or if depreciation is greater than 'ONE BILLION DOLLARS' well CAPEX is in that case negative and WDW has indeed had negative capex in years pasts as documented in @ParentsOf4 very informative CAPEX charts.

I have not bothered to calculate this quarter's CAPEX numbers as I'm slowly starting to no longer care what happens at WDW.
The only reason I used the billion dollars was based on the post I was quoting:
You're gonna plop hundreds of millions(or even billions) on the cruise line but let your flagship resort continue to strut along on life support? Good show Disney.

I was pointing out that complaining about spending "hundreds of millions(or even billions)" on cruise ships while ignoring spending at least a billion on WDW was kind of humorous to me.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The only reason I used the billion dollars was based on the post I was quoting:

I was pointing out that complaining about spending "hundreds of millions(or even billions)" on cruise ships while ignoring spending at least a billion on WDW was kind of humorous to me.

The question is not how much is SPENT but how much you NEED to spend, WDW and EPCOT in particular need BILLIONS in both maintenance and GROWTH CAPEX, If EPCOT was not a shadow of itself would the MK be as crowded as it is now?

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
The question is not how much is SPENT but how much you NEED to spend,
Need is subjective. Need based on what goal?
Need based on the goal of increased attendance? Then there is no $ to spend to meet this need, as the parks continue to gain attendance.
Need based on the goal of increased revenue? Then again there is no need to spend $. Heck, based on that definition of need they could cut back at Epcot as the masses flock to the fancy food court that is World Showcase.
Need based on a quality experience? Then in Epcot's case it's sadly under. In other parks Need seems to be addressed to this goal.
If EPCOT was not a shadow of itself would the MK be as crowded as it is now?
Hypothetical that is unprovable in any way. Potentially, sure. But attendance fluxuations don't seem to be correlated to park quality. MK is busy because Orlando is busy and MK is the flagship park in WDW. How busy it would or wouldn't be based on theoretical adjustments to other parks is something that is impossible to argue with any sort of facts.
Would MK be as busy if Epcot was better? Maybe.
Would MK be as busy if they tripled the ticket price for MK while dropping prices on all their other parks? Just as likely.
Would MK be as busy if they built a 5th gate? Who knows. People still likely would make sure MK was a high-point of their travel plans, and new visitors to Orlando would likely still visit MK more often.
It's all impossible to prove in any way. It might make sense from a logical standpoint, but any number of modifications could have the same or greater impact.

Attachments

• 4_park_attendance.JPG
    4_park_attendance.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 78

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Need is subjective. Need based on what goal?
Need based on the goal of increased attendance? Then there is no $ to spend to meet this need, as the parks continue to gain attendance.
Need based on the goal of increased revenue? Then again there is no need to spend $. Heck, based on that definition of need they could cut back at Epcot as the masses flock to the fancy food court that is World Showcase.
Need based on a quality experience? Then in Epcot's case it's sadly under. In other parks Need seems to be addressed to this goal.

Hypothetical that is unprovable in any way. Potentially, sure. But attendance fluxuations don't seem to be correlated to park quality. MK is busy because Orlando is busy and MK is the flagship park in WDW. How busy it would or wouldn't be based on theoretical adjustments to other parks is something that is impossible to argue with any sort of facts.
Would MK be as busy if Epcot was better? Maybe.
Would MK be as busy if they tripled the ticket price for MK while dropping prices on all their other parks? Just as likely.
Would MK be as busy if they built a 5th gate? Who knows. People still likely would make sure MK was a high-point of their travel plans, and new visitors to Orlando would likely still visit MK more often.
It's all impossible to prove in any way. It might make sense from a logical standpoint, but any number of modifications could have the same or greater impact.

I'd be happy to have parks which were on the level with 1998 or even 2004 , Yes Disney will be able to pack em in for a while but the Disney machine is running on inertia now, No new inputs for a while and people will talk how crowded it is and how long the lines are. Fresh attractions are what built the machine Iger is exploiting. But the machine needs maintenance and fuel both of which it's being starved of at the moment.

ParentsOf4

I think it's time for @ParentsOf4 to remind us of historic capex volumes at WDPR.
Among the current parties, lines have been drawn and anything I post isn't going to change anyone's opinion on the matter ...

You're better off linking to one of my many posts on the subject. And if you do so, please be sure to link to one of my more recent posts.

Unlike some here, my opinions change as the numbers change. ;)

jakeman

Growth vs Maintenance CAPEX, Saying 'ONE BILLION DOLLARS' in one's best Dr Evil voice is meaningless unless we know what portion is tasked for maintenance and repair of existing capital assets vs NEW capital assets or if depreciation is greater than 'ONE BILLION DOLLARS'
It's rather humorous that this hair is never split when discussing the MM+ "debacle".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom