The only way Disney can beat Harry Potter

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Without seeing WWoHP and being one of the staunchest Disney fanbois on here I must say.... even if HP Phase II is REMOTELY like it is described, then Disney needs something to contend with it. Yes, rising tide lifts all boats and YES WDW is still the main draw for Orlando vacations... but Disney needs something new.

Look at it this way: Take HP and Transformers and everything else off the table... DAK and DHS still need expansions and Epcot still needs some TLC.

My take on the greatest source of discontent on this forum is that Disney in Orlando seems hell bent on doing everything but create attractions that lift with rising waters of expectation. The half day park as you point out would be a cause for concern at local theme park level far less one of the most visited places on the tourist map.

GeorgiaPinesRJB

My take on the greatest source of discontent on this forum is that Disney in Orlando seems hell bent on doing everything but create attractions that lift with rising waters of expectation. The half day park as you point out would be a cause for concern at local theme park level far less one of the most visited places on the tourist map.

Right! I understand people want new, innovative things in the parks. I DO TOO! But Disney needs to do so to keep things fresh and interesting, to hell with some Boy Wizard down the street. Yes, it can be argued that management is misguided in what they're doing next (NextGen/FP+). Now do I think there should be a new attraction at WDW every 6 months like some people claim on here? NO! Some the say: "I go at least once a year and we won't be back until there is something new" come off sounding whiny and entitled and spoiled. They should feel blessed they can go much more often than people like me and others who have never gone. Yes, I want new things in the parks but that's because I love WDW and I want it to be the best freaking parks in the world. Not the best Disney parks. Not the best parks in Orlando. The best parks. It can happen, and it will. It'll take time.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Oh, come now, Bairstow. No need to get angry. Shouldn't you be reviewing all of those Walt Disney World Co. retail sales figures that you (obviously) have access to? Oh, that's right, you have no knowledge of such. You just posit information and hope people accept such as fact. Well, you'll have no problems with BryceM. ;)
You've averaged 1 post per week for the last decade and come out with your opinion only now?

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Part of the problem WDW has is that it has been too slow to create new/upgrade existing attractions, and with 4 parks and two water parks to Unis 2 it has left itself with a big mountain to climb even to maintain the status quo as it stands now, far less those of what Marni calls the golden years.

Jimmy Thick

Again, attendance figures are only telling part of the story.
To really understand the success of the Harry Potter expansion you have to look at the retail side of the industry.
Wizard World is getting the first and biggest piece of the souvenir pie from families that visit Orlando. This is hitting Disney and it's hitting them hard.

Proof with numbers both Universal parks combined beat Downtown Disney when it comes to retail numbers. * Chuckles *

People keep mentioning how Universal is building another hotel when it won't even be the cheapest option they will offer...

People also don't seem to understand Potter is not everyones cup of tea, my opinion is it appealed to everyone its going to appeal to and didn't come close to any Florida Disney park.

I doubt IOA passes DCA this year in attendance, let alone a Florida park.

Will a Universal park pass a Florida Disney park? Not in our lifetimes.

Jimmy Thick- Nothing to see here, move along, move along.

righttrack

I know so many of the people here are "Classic Disney" people here and I love and respect you all. Disney has a lot of things with longevity within it's own arsenal and must leverage those things too. I'm going to name a few, and Classic Disney people, it's OK to avert your eyes.

Star Wars
Marvel
Pixar

I know Marvel is licensed elsewhere but when that reverts, there is much to be done.

Star Wars needs a "land" desperately. Studios backlot, if its not going to be a working backlot, ditch it. It's pointless to fantasize about shows and movies that aren't being made there. They've never been able to transform that magic for me, and I buy it hook, line and sinker for everything else. If they run out of land at Studios, then build a frickin' Bespin. That's right, put a city on a pole in the sky!!! You're Disney fer chrissakes and this is 2013!!!

Pixar - Focus more on the classic Pixar characters from Toy Story. They are so universal. They need more than just the current Toy Story Mania ride. They deserve a fast, thrilling ride, and a dark ride at least.

OK, you can look back now.

disney fan 13

Aren't we all entitled to our opinions, though? Different strokes.

th

WED99

On the topic of HP being a game changer when it comes to immersive environments and putting guests into the movie..... A Bugs Land. Yeh it didn't have the huge budget of HP and it was aimed towards kids, but they did an even better immersive job than HP (not trying to convince people it snows in Florida) and their 10 years old. So the game wasn't really changed.

Jimmy Thick

Nope, even with Potter 2 it won't be enough. They gotta keep adding new stuff.

If the attendance figures for 2012 will tell the story. If IOA goes under 7 million, then Potter could be considered a failure based on the fact it did not keep guests. If attendance goes down, Potter 2 will prop attendance back up over 7 million, but nothing more than that. Depending on 2012 numbers.

I would be shocked if there was any increase in IOA for 2012. Figures will be flat or below 2011's numbers.

Jimmy Thick- Universal will run out of cash before they beat a Florida Disney park.

copcarguyp71

Part of the problem WDW has is that it has been too slow to create new/upgrade existing attractions, and with 4 parks and two water parks to Unis 2 it has left itself with a big mountain to climb even to maintain the status quo as it stands now, far less those of what Marni calls the golden years.

Too slow to create/upgrade attractions or too eager to build false idols to the DVC gods? I am torn!

Skibum1970

Nothing stale at all about them. HP1 closed the gap considerably between IOA and DHS/AK that can't be denied, there is every reason to believe that the gap will close more. I don't think it's a sure thing that AK and/or DHS will be passed but I think it's a very real possibility.

One key point to me is momentum. Market share is hard to gain. However, UNI hit it out of the park with HP 1.0 and now Transformers and HP 2.0 coming. Word of mouth will spread and I believe that people will begin making more time for UNI on their trip to Orlando. For the Disney fans, I would expect people to stay in Disney resorts but to go to UNI and thus have the best of both worlds.

Disney runs the risk (maybe it already happened) of letting the pendulum swing too much in favor of UNI.

Disneyhead'71

I am actually expecting all the Central FL parks 2012 numbers to be down a bit compared to 2011 numbers. Iger has already said WDW's numbers are down "modestly".

Bob Saget

I always find it entertaining watching people fight over which park entity is better. As if it does anything to benefit you whether or not "your" park is #1.

Brand Loyalty - We've turned it into a sickness.

wdwfan4ver

I know so many of the people here are "Classic Disney" people here and I love and respect you all. Disney has a lot of things with longevity within it's own arsenal and must leverage those things too. I'm going to name a few, and Classic Disney people, it's OK to avert your eyes.

Star Wars
Marvel
Pixar

I know Marvel is licensed elsewhere but when that reverts, there is much to be done.

Star Wars needs a "land" desperately. Studios backlot, if its not going to be a working backlot, ditch it. It's pointless to fantasize about shows and movies that aren't being made there. They've never been able to transform that magic for me, and I buy it hook, line and sinker for everything else. If they run out of land at Studios, then build a frickin' Bespin. That's right, put a city on a pole in the sky!!! You're Disney fer chrissakes and this is 2013!!!

Pixar - Focus more on the classic Pixar characters from Toy Story. They are so universal. They need more than just the current Toy Story Mania ride. They deserve a fast, thrilling ride, and a dark ride at least.

OK, you can look back now.
Star Wars to Backlot is a bad idea. I am saying that because the rumor right now is to have Pixar for the Backlot and where Lights, Motor, Action is currently. All It seems like the Backlot tour for sure is Radiator Springs based on that rumor.

Star Wars really should expended near Sounds Dangerous and American Idol Experience Buildings are. The Sounds Dangerous Building is abandoned except for a couple weeks of the year when Comedy Warehouse is there.

American Idol Experience building is going to be abandoned in a few years. Right now, I think American Idol has a least 2 seasons left, but it could up to 4 years. I really depends on what this seasons ratings will be. It depends on next weeks ratings when the season starts on the 16th. The only thing I knew for sure is people are not following American Idol like they used to based on a local music radio station hosts for a morning programer are acting towards the show. If people compare American Idol in the year American Idol Experience opened at DHS in 2009 to know, there is a big decrease in interest in the show despite the rating are still good enough for getting a couple more seasons at least.

Tony Perkis

On the topic of HP being a game changer when it comes to immersive environments and putting guests into the movie..... A Bugs Land. Yeh it didn't have the huge budget of HP and it was aimed towards kids, but they did an even better immersive job than HP (not trying to convince people it snows in Florida) and their 10 years old. So the game wasn't really changed.
A Bug's Land was notoriously built on the cheap (like most of DCA at the time) and didn't open with any sort of unique attraction. This post, in no way, is correct.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom