The only way Disney can beat Harry Potter

WED99

I'm talking about the exit village on Maelstrom, not the mural in the loading area. What AA's are there in Star Tours besides C3PO and R2D2? If I have to explain the brilliance of Hogwarts, then obviously this conversation is a moot point.
The two security droids, they play even more of a role than R2D2 and C3PO. And I really think your overselling Hogwarts, like it's a great ride and queue but not brilliance. It just looks like the movie, and the same case for Star Tours.

captainkidd

The two security droids, they play even more of a role than R2D2 and C3PO. And I really think your overselling Hogwarts, like it's a great ride and queue but not brilliance. It just looks like the movie, and the same case for Star Tours.

Sorry, but we'll just have to agree to disagree, and this is coning from a Disney die-hard. The talking portraits on the wall, the sorting hat, articles disappearing. There's nothing remotely as brilliantly done in Star Tours. I can't believe this is even up for a serious discussion. Does ANYONE go to Florida specifically to see Star Tours?

GeorgiaPinesRJB

True, I just saw the picture of the movie and after watching the Sherlock BBC series I was reminded how bad those movies are, but regardless, I should probably have not made the post in the first place.

I like those movies and I liked that they featured Don Giovanni in the second one. To each his own.

PittsBurghFuzz

Is to build a whole area for star wars. There's area behind star wars section of DHS. If they went all out and added a new coaster, family ride, scenery, food and drink. It can be done. From what I'm told by a very good source, this is a very real possibility ;-)

(After George Lucas rode The Forbidden Journey, he immediately called Disney and asked why his ride wasn't as cool)

Which makes us wonder.....
Disney does need to compete with Harry Potter. I don't think New Fantasyland is enough, and Star Wars does seem like a plausible option. But it might not happen for a while. They could probably get rid of Sounds Dangerous and put in something. Although, for a while I've heard rumors that it will get replaced by something...

real mad hatter

I guess not.... And I am not being snarky in saying this but, what am I suppose to be getting?
Hmm.How can I put this into writing.When I pour myself a large measure of Talisker malt whisky into my glencairn glass,I close my eyes and nose it.I can smell heather and smokie peat aromas,but when my DW smells it,she says it just smells like whisky.When a photographer looks thro the camera lens,his view can be completely different than what we can see.Just like Disney,it's all in the eye of the beholder.

Skibum1970

Although I haven't rode it yet, I would think that FJ would be a better ride than Star Tours just going off the descriptions. I am not a big fan of simulators and FJ has a ride system that takes you from scene to scene. I can honestly say that Spiderman is my favorite ride in the non-coaster category and I can't compare Spidey and FJ due to lack of experience with FJ. Still, I would think that it is hard to compare two rides with completely different ride technology.

The Transformers ride looks very fun and that may be the straw that causes me to devote two days to UNI/IOA. The Gringotts coaster and Hogwarts Express will be seriously awesome, if the descriptions hold up. Plus, I don't hear anyone saying that UNI is cutting too many corners on these rides from a budget perspective. I think that Disney had better wake up and be more proactive about this.

Skibum1970

I also think that UNI has one big limitation and that is that they don't have an abundance of land. Ultimately, that will cap just what they can build unless they want to try to buy more land at a premium. Thus, I think that they will never have the same attendance levels of Magic Kingdom but they will definitely take a huge bite out of the Orlando market share.

WED99

I also think that UNI has one big limitation and that is that they don't have an abundance of land. Ultimately, that will cap just what they can build unless they want to try to buy more land at a premium. Thus, I think that they will never have the same attendance levels of Magic Kingdom but they will definitely take a huge bite out of the Orlando market share.
I agree with the land thing. Sure it's great they're adding a ton of new things now, but what happens when everything is new and no space is left? Then it goes back to Uni's old self with dated rides for about 10 years till they start bringing out new stuff again.

Wait. Wasn't HP supposed to be a "game changer" for the Florida theme park industry? Those same individuals that now proclaim "Disney must beat Universal" are the ones that argued Islands of Adventure would pole vault over multiple Disney parks in attendance. Still waiting for that one to happen...

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Wait. Wasn't HP supposed to be a "game changer" for the Florida theme park industry? Those same individuals that now proclaim "Disney must beat Universal" are the ones that argued Islands of Adventure would pole vault over multiple Disney parks in attendance. Still waiting for that one to happen...

I could be argued that it did change the game, it made Uni a legitimate contender. IOA attendance increased by 3 million and Universal 1/2 million between 2009 and 2011. Over that same period WDW attendance remained pretty much flat.

draybook

I don't think anyone expects that to happen. It's that Universal will close the gap, as noted by the TEA reports. Universal had a huge spike in attendance, while WDW stayed stale. A new restaurant and a cloned ride that seems to break down on a daily basis are hardly equal to Potterland 1.0 and the planned Potterland 2.0.

Now, I'm a Disney fanatic, and I'll pick WDW over Universal any day of the week, but I'm not about to snort the pixie dust and let obvious facts become diluted.

Bairstow

According to Jim Hill and a few other industry analysts, the real story with Potterland is that its ultra-successful retail operation is what Disney is worried about. Many vacationing families will visit both sets of parks, but have a fixed budget for souvenirs, and since the addition of Harry Potter Universal is getting the first and biggest bite at this money. This sort of thing won't show in attendance numbers, but it's a very important factor if we're truly talking about how the parks are prospering in relation to each other.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom