The only way Disney can beat Harry Potter

Bugs Land...sorry, not so much. It had a garden-themed store outside and some spinner-type rides, bumper cars, a 3D film that is admittedly well themed, a small train, and oversized clovers. Wizarding World has many extensively themed stores to the 'world' of the books and movies, restaurants, merchandise as if the universe was real, and a castle/dark ride themed attraction. Bugs Land does not compare to that in any way that I see.

Tony Perkis

Proof with numbers both Universal parks combined beat Downtown Disney when it comes to retail numbers. * Chuckles *

Very poor comparison. Sales from Potter-related merchandise at USF goes directly into the pockets of Universal, with royalties being paid to WB and Rowling.

Downtown Disney is a collection of retail and eateries, only some owned by Disney. There is a far lower percentage of Downtown Disney profit heading toward Disney than Potter profit to Universal.

A far more logical comparison would be Citywalk vs. Downtown Disney.

People keep mentioning how Universal is building another hotel when it won't even be the cheapest option they will offer...

Yes, it will. The three current Loews resorts at Universal are considered various degrees of luxury resorts, and the in-park perks being offered somewhat reflect that. Cabana Bay will be a value/luxury hybrid that doesn't have the same perks. You information regarding CB is incorrect.

People also don't seem to understand Potter is not everyones cup of tea, my opinion is it appealed to everyone its going to appeal to and didn't come close to any Florida Disney park.

The Potter attraction itself clearly alienates a younger, shorter audience. However, those same kids that can't ride the attraction are riding the Flight of the Hypogriff coaster, going through the Ollivander's show, buying merchandise in droves, and consuming copious amounts of Butterbeer. The very abstract idea of "level of appeal" that you are so keen to use in discussions doesn't account for profit margins on items sold in WWOHP, which are far beyond that of any single property at any of the Disney parks.

I doubt IOA passes DCA this year in attendance, let alone a Florida park.

You're probably correct, considering DCA reopened with its largest expansion yet and used a national marketing campaign to help yield the resort's best year ever.

Yet IOA somehow brought in 1.4 million more than DCA in 2011, after trailing by 250,000 in 2010.

If DCA passes IOA, it won't be because of a relapse of IOA, but due to an astronomical growth at DCA.

Will a Universal park pass a Florida Disney park? Not in our lifetimes.

IOA is 2 million behind both DHA and DAK. Given the stagnant nature of the latter two parks, it's actually very likely to happen, especially once Potter 2.0 opens.

Californian Elitist

I love the movie to death. I cannot tell you how much I've abused the recent (and unexpected) Blu-Ray release.

Same here. I bought the Heavyweights DVD not too long ago and I just watched it maybe five days ago. It's still just as hilarious as it was the first time I saw it as a kid back in the 90s. I'll never get tired of it.

Some of my favorite lines:

"Lunch has been cancelled today, due to lack of hustle. Deal with it."

"We already know each odda's names."

"Sorry to hear about your friend, Josh. Yeah, he's dead."

"I am with you. I love you."

"Get on the scale, son! (Moves the meter) Get off the scale."

"Nein is German for no!"

WED99

I was just pointing out Potter didn't really change the game apart from land specific merchandise. The whole movie based land thing had already been done.

Tony Perkis

Same here. I bought the Heavyweights DVD not too long ago and I just watched it maybe five days ago. It's still just as hilarious as it was the first time I saw it as a kid back in the 90s. I'll never get tired of it.

Some of my favorite lines:

"Lunch has been cancelled today, due to lack of hustle. Deal with it."

"We already know each odda's names."

"Sorry to hear about your friend, Josh. Yeah, he's dead."

"I am with you. I love you."

"Get on scale, son! (Moves the meter) Get off the scale."

"Nein is German for no!"
You going to fat camp?

No...why do you say that?

Because you're fat. Is that your dad?

No...why do you say that?

Because he's fat, too.

Well, you're fat!

I know! That's why I'm going to fat camp!

Californian Elitist

I was just pointing out Potter didn't really change the game apart from land specific merchandise. The whole movie based land thing had already been done.

The thing is you can't compare A Bug's Life to the Harry Potter series. One is pretty much irrelevant and the other is a seriously popular book and movie series. What Universal did with Harry Potter is pretty much one of a kind. People don't care about A Bug's Life. Harry Potter... Totally different.

WED99

The thing is you can't compare A Bug's Life to the Harry Potter series. One is pretty much irrelevant and the other is a seriously popular book and movie series. What Universal did with Harry Potter is pretty much one of a kind. People don't care about A Bug's Life. Harry Potter... Totally different.
But popularity of the film has nothing to do with the land, Avatar land could be horrible and its popularity won't change that. The only thing different about WWoHP is that they introduced themed merchandise on a large scale. Everything else had been done before.

Tony Perkis

But popularity of the film has nothing to do with the land, Avatar land could be horrible and its popularity won't change that. The only thing different about WWoHP is that they introduced themed merchandise on a large scale. Everything else had been done before.
Like Forbidden Journey?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
If every new ride system was a game changer then no one would be able to keep track of what the game is anymore!
Wrong. A few ride systems have been game changers. FJ is one. As are Omnimovers, AGV/LPS, EMV...and sadly Disney developed the latters and let others overtake them with superior versions in Orlando

WED99

Wrong. A few ride systems have been game changers. FJ is one. As are Omnimovers, AGV/LPS, EMV...and sadly Disney developed the latters and let others overtake them with superior versions in Orlando
I personally don't believe FJ is one. LPS was because it allowed rides to be developed totally different with more focus on environment. Omnimover allowed for huge capacity and quick loading. EMV allowed for turning the vehicle into a character of its own. I think of FJ as just an Omnimover with advanced EMV properties. It didn't do much revolutionary or "game changing" for the theme park community.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I personally don't believe FJ is one. LPS was because it allowed rides to be developed totally different with more focus on environment. Omnimover allowed for huge capacity and quick loading. EMV allowed for turning the vehicle into a character of its own. I think of FJ as just an Omnimover with advanced EMV properties. It didn't do much revolutionary or "game changing" for the theme park community.
It's good to have personal opinions.

Disneyhead'71

The Robocoaster ride system is the most powerful and versatile ride system ever built. Not only can it push riders MUCH closer to and into a scene than any other ride system available. But the vertical and lateral movements are unprecedented. And it has some amazing capabilities that Universal chose not to use so that the ride could appeal to a much larger audience. It not only can turn you upside down in multiple ways. It could spin the bench fast enough to drill a hole in metal. Of course that would kill every rider in the vehicle.

WED99

The Robocoaster ride system is the most powerful and versatile ride system ever built. Not only can it push riders MUCH closer to and into a scene than any other ride system available. But the vertical and lateral movements are unprecedented. And it has some amazing capabilities that Universal chose not to use so that the ride could appeal to a much larger audience. It not only can turn you upside down in multiple ways. It could spin the bench fast enough to drill a hole in metal. Of course that would kill every rider in the vehicle.
The putting guests into the scene part of that is the best point you made and I have to admit you proved me wrong! Thank you! But the power of it and stuff doesn't really matter to me, I found when the thing tipped me upside down and stayed there I got a bit annoyed and felt like saying "Come on already!"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom