The only way Disney can beat Harry Potter

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I don't think anyone expects that to happen. It's that Universal will close the gap, as noted by the TEA reports. Universal had a huge spike in attendance, while WDW stayed stale. A new restaurant and a cloned ride that seems to break down on a daily basis are hardly equal to Potterland 1.0 and the planned Potterland 2.0.

Now, I'm a Disney fanatic, and I'll pick WDW over Universal any day of the week, but I'm not about to snort the pixie dust and let obvious facts become diluted.

Actually a lot of people DO think that will happen. Check out this thread:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/pottey-swats-disney.857648/

Um, no. The arguments being made at the time the Potter expansion opened were stating that IOA would surge past Disney parks in attendance levels. Some even suggested IOA would be a contender to upstage the Magic Kingdom as absurd as that may now seem. (You need not look far to find those arguments here and elsewhere on the Web.)

Dan_lb2000, attempt to skew stats all you want. IOA increased attendance 3% from 2009-2011? The Magic Kingdom increased attendance levels over that same period of time by 1% and that was totally without any major expansion. And, let us not forget that the *least* attended Disney park in Florida still beat IOA by over TWO MILLION visitors in 2011. TWO MILLION.

Harry Potter was not a game changer in any sense of the word. Made lots of money? Sure. Truly changed anything in the theme park landscape? No. Disney, by huge margins, remains the draw for Florida theme parks with Universal being the add-on.

"Mom, let's go to Florida to go to Disney. And we can go see Harry Potter for a day too."

BryceM

Um, no. The arguments being made at the time the Potter expansion opened were stating that IOA would surge past Disney parks in attendance levels. Some even suggested IOA would be a contender to upstage the Magic Kingdom as absurd as that may now seem. (You need not look far to find those arguments here and elsewhere on the Web.)

Dan_lb2000, attempt to skew stats all you want. IOA increased attendance 3% from 2009-2011? The Magic Kingdom increased attendance levels over that same period of time by 1% and that was totally without any major expansion. And, let us not forget that the *least* attended Disney park in Florida still beat IOA by over TWO MILLION visitors in 2011. TWO MILLION.

Harry Potter was not a game changer in any sense of the word. Made lots of money? Sure. Truly changed anything in the theme park landscape? No. Disney, by huge margins, remains the draw for Florida theme parks with Universal being the add-on.

"Mom, let's go to Florida to go to Disney. And we can go see Harry Potter for a day too."
You're taking game changer the wrong way. It's a game changer because it took immersively themed lands to the next level. And Islands of Adventure did experience a massive increase in attendance. Nobody is proclaiming that it will beat Magic Kingdom in attendance, that's obvious. But you can't deny that a Universal park can possibly pass DAK or DHS. Especially when those parks are at a stand-still when it comes to new additions. And on top of the in-park expansions for Universal, they are adding a new moderately priced resort that will certainly convince a larger crowd to stay on-site.

And not everyone has the same mentality when it comes to visiting either Universal or Disney.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

No skewing needed, the number speak for themselves. TEA number from here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_amusement_park_rankings

Change in attendance 2009-20111

Magic Kingdom -91,000
Epcot -165,000
Disney's Animal Kingdom 193,000
Disney's Hollywood Studios -1,000
WDW Total -64,000

IOA: +3,047,000
Universal: +514,000
Uni Total: +3,561,000

and since Uni already has a number of major new attractions and a new hotel in the works (and maybe a few more to come), and it will be at least 3 to 4 years before AK or DHS open anything new, there is a very real chance that one if not both the Universal parks will pass AK or DHS over the next couple year. I do agree that MK is safely in the lead and Uni won't pass it's attendance numbers.

Bairstow

Read please: http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...531_1_theme-park-wizarding-world-nbcuniversal

Thanks to the continued popularity of its $265 million Wizarding World of Harry Potter, attendance at Universal's Islands of Adventure theme park soared 29 percent in 2011, according to a closely watched industry report.
pixel.gif

Nearly 7.7 million visitors descended on Islands for the year. That was an increase of 1.7 million people from 2010.
The increase accounted for nearly half of all the attendance growth at North America's 20 largest theme parks combined, which together rose 2.9 percent last year. Subtract Harry Potter from the equation, and that North American growth rate would have been just 1.6 percent.
What's more, the 1.7 million increase at Islands of Adventure was far more than the combined attendance gain (363,000 people) at all four of Walt Disney World's larger theme parks.
Islands' attendance growth far outpaced any other theme park on the continent.

Again, attendance figures are only telling part of the story.
To really understand the success of the Harry Potter expansion you have to look at the retail side of the industry.
Wizard World is getting the first and biggest piece of the souvenir pie from families that visit Orlando. This is hitting Disney and it's hitting them hard.

BryceM said:
You're taking game changer the wrong way. It's a game changer because it took immersively themed lands to the next level. And Islands of Adventure did experience a massive increase in attendance. Nobody is proclaiming that it will beat Magic Kingdom in attendance, that's obvious. But you can't deny that a Universal park can possibly pass DAK or DHS. Especially when those parks are at a stand-still when it comes to new additions. And on top of the in-park expansions for Universal, they are adding a new moderately priced resort that will certainly convince a larger crowd to stay on-site.

and since Uni already has a number of major new attractions and a new hotel in the works (and maybe a few more to come), and it will be at least 3 to 4 years before AK or DHS open anything new, there is a very real chance that one if not both the Universal parks will pass AK or DHS over the next couple year. I do agree that MK is safely in the lead and Uni won't pass it's attendance numbers.

Yawn. Same stale arguments circa 2010.

Same stale opinions of those who refuse to face facts.

No offense.

The facts are in black and white. IOA, even with a multi million dollar expansion, remains far behind all four of Disney's Florida theme parks.

But, it seems you're confused as to "fact" and "opinion". Let's break it down, shall we?

It's a game changer because it took immersively themed lands to the next level. - Opinion.

Nobody is proclaiming that it will beat Magic Kingdom in attendance, that's obvious. - Opinion. And an incorrect one at that.

But you can't deny that a Universal park can possibly pass DAK or DHS. - Opinion.

Especially when those parks are at a stand-still when it comes to new additions. - Opinion.

And on top of the in-park expansions for Universal, they are adding a new moderately priced resort that will certainly convince a larger crowd to stay on-site. - Opinion.

See how that works?

Here's my opinion: In 2013 and 2014, out of the Florida theme parks, Disney will still hold the top four spots.

Don't yawn just because no one is giving you a straw man to knock down.

Oh, come now, Bairstow. No need to get angry. Shouldn't you be reviewing all of those Walt Disney World Co. retail sales figures that you (obviously) have access to? Oh, that's right, you have no knowledge of such. You just posit information and hope people accept such as fact. Well, you'll have no problems with BryceM. ;)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Yawn. Same stale arguments circa 2010.

Nothing stale at all about them. HP1 closed the gap considerably between IOA and DHS/AK that can't be denied, there is every reason to believe that the gap will close more. I don't think it's a sure thing that AK and/or DHS will be passed but I think it's a very real possibility.

BryceM

The facts are in black and white. IOA, even with a multi million dollar expansion, remains far behind all four of Disney's Florida theme parks.

But, it seems you're confused as to "fact" and "opinion". Let's break it down, shall we?

It's a game changer because it took immersively themed lands to the next level. - Opinion.

Nobody is proclaiming that it will beat Magic Kingdom in attendance, that's obvious. - Opinion. And an incorrect one at that.

But you can't deny that a Universal park can possibly pass DAK or DHS. - Opinion.

Especially when those parks are at a stand-still when it comes to new additions. - Opinion.

And on top of the in-park expansions for Universal, they are adding a new moderately priced resort that will certainly convince a larger crowd to stay on-site. - Opinion.

See how that works?

Here's my opinion: In 2013 and 2014, out of the Florida theme parks, Disney will still hold the top four spots.
Your "black and white" facts that you listed are also your own opinions. So you fall to victim to your own argument.

And I'm almost positive that your response earlier to danlb_2000 was also dominated by your opinions. And if you're going to do that, then yes, I do believe that Islands of Adventure or Universal Studios will pass either Animal Kingdom or Disney Studios. And I do believe that the Harry Potter expansion, Simpsons expansion, new Jurassic Park ride, Transformers: The Ride, and the Cabana Bay hotel will certainly be what boosts Universal's attendance. And I also do believe that Animal Kingdom and Disney Studios are at a stand-still when it comes to new attractions. Sure, there are rumors, but that's all there truly is. Nothing new will come in 2013, 2014 or 2015 to these parks. I'm not saying that Avatarland or the Pixar Place expansion won't be announced by then, but they aren't getting completed any time soon. Unlike at Universal where the parks are dominated by construction.

And you can't refute that, because it's all my opinion, right?

draybook

Wow, I think this guy snorted HIS share of dust as well as Jimmy Thick's share. It probably looked like the Scarface scene with Pacino burying his face in that mound of yayo.

Even with figures he wants to argue. I haven't seen 2012, but for 2011 both the AK AND DHS lost 100k visitors. IoA gained 1.7 MILLION. Yes, that's MILLION with a Dr Evil accent.....

I wanted to add that our family is part of the large group that is now putting some of the "Disney" souvenir money into Universals pockets. My wife and kids each get a wand, and usually some other souvenir. I think this past September we bought a couple of Xmas ornaments and that's about it.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

See how that works?

What about 2015 when Potter phase II has been open for almost a year? And overall what do you think with happen with the numbers of the next couple years? Will Disney see a sudden increase in attendance? Will Uni's numbers stagnate or fall?

GeorgiaPinesRJB

What about 2015 when Potter phase II has been open for almost a year? And overall what do you think with happen with the numbers of the next couple years? Will Disney see a sudden increase in attendance? Will Uni's numbers stagnate or fall?

Without seeing WWoHP and being one of the staunchest Disney fanbois on here I must say.... even if HP Phase II is REMOTELY like it is described, then Disney needs something to contend with it. Yes, rising tide lifts all boats and YES WDW is still the main draw for Orlando vacations... but Disney needs something new.

Look at it this way: Take HP and Transformers and everything else off the table... DAK and DHS still need expansions and Epcot still needs some TLC.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom