The only way Disney can beat Harry Potter

Patricia Melton

You've made mention of this plenty of times before, but what on earth is the issue with painted cement? And in Universal's case, newly painted cement?

I think it's junky-looking. For those who want to claim that Universal does everything so much better, then they should take a look at the painted cement. Used car lots and grade school playgrounds paint their cement.

Surely if Universal is truly this Shangri-La where they do everything better than Disney they could create better themed environments that have beautiful pavings...instead of painted cement.

Universal reminds me of Chester & Hester's at DAK, only Chester & Hester's was supposed to look junky like that as part of the theme. Universal paints cement and calls it a day just because that's how they do things there.

Tony Perkis

Harry Potter is already fading away from pop culture prominence. My niece and nephew are just a personal anecdote. They used to like Harry Potter, but now they think that is for "babies". That's what they said. I have all the Potter movies and sometime I try to put them on when they are here but they don't have much interest in them. My nephew wanted Star Wars Legos for Christmas though. And my niece has a Star Wars Angry Birds game she likes to play. So they both still like Star Wars.

This is why personal anecdotes are the worst form of "proof". The Harry Potter films are arguably darker and more mature than the Star Wars films (especially films/books 3-8), hence the PG-13 rating in four of the last five films. The Harry Potter land at Universal does not contain a hint of the dreaded Star Wars "Jar Jar" humor, while the queue for Star Tours 2.0 very much has this sort of humor.

Not only that, but the Potter films, collectively, are better than the Star Wars films. The best film in both series is The Empire Strikes Back, but there isn't a Potter film as bad as any of the SW prequels.

And no offense to your niece and nephew, but if they believe that HP is a "babies" property and choose to play Lego Star Wars and Angry Birds Star Wars, they may not be the best source of evidence.

The Potter books have not been touched on their bookshelf in a long time.

I, a 25 year old male and MBA candidate, reread them recently. So did one of my best friends, a law school student. So did people I graduated from high school with seven years ago. And they were read from hardcovers, paperbacks, and digital Kindle copies.

Two sample sizes, two drastically different results.

Personal anecdotes are a very poor way to determine trends.

There's no new Potter products, merchandise, or projects to keep the brand thriving. Yes, a generation or so of kids grew up loving this stuff and will be nostalgic for it into their young adult lives...but is Potter catching the new kids coming up in its magic?

People are still very interested in any Potter related products. J.K. Rowling's followup, The Casual Vacancy, was the 24th best selling book on Amazon.com in 2012. This book doesn't see the light of day or sells without the Rowling name and fame.

In addition, there are a number of outlets that continually keep interest in Potter at a high level:

-Pottermore
-Potter expansion 2.0.
-Continual Blu-Ray releases of the series (the most recent this past October)
-Potter conventions
-Fan productions (Starkid's Potter musicals) that renew interest in many different forms
-Merchandise sold in many retailers throughout the country (clothing, toys, games...)
-Kindle-format versions released last spring

And Rowling said in late September 2012 that she isn't closing the door on future Potter/wizard themed books.

Not if my niece and nephew are indicative of any trend.

They aren't.

Tony Perkis

I think it's junky-looking. For those who want to claim that Universal does everything so much better, then they should take a look at the painted cement. Used car lots and grade school playgrounds paint their cement.

Surely if Universal is truly this Shangri-La where they do everything better than Disney they could create better themed environments that have beautiful pavings...instead of painted cement.

Universal reminds me of Chester & Hester's at DAK, only Chester & Hester's was supposed to look junky like that as part of the theme. Universal paints cement and calls it a day just because that's how they do things there.

I'm sorry, but you lose a lot of credibility with this comment.

Chester & Hester's at Animal Kingdom theme isn't purposely "junky". The Imagineers didn't envision a POS land because that's what the theme necessitated. It is a cheap, ugly land because Disney decided not to spend the money required to make this land unique and special. Disney was cheap.

Nothing about Spider-Man, Hulk, Potter, Lost Continent, or Jurassic Park screams cheap the way Storybook Circus and Chester & Hester do.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
I think game changer rides/technologies (for their time and still today) are:

-Circlevision - 1955
-Matterhorn - 1956 (first steel roller coaster)
-Flying Saucers - 1961
-Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln - 1964 (first full scale audio-animatronic)
-Omnimover - 1967
-PeopleMover - 1967
-Universe of Energy - 1982 (moving theater)
-Captain EO - 1986 (first special effects 3D film and theater)
-Star Tours - 1987 (first Motion Simulator)
-Tower of Terror - 1994
-Indiana Jones Adventure - 1995 (EMV Ride Vehicle)
-Test Track - 1999 (new ride system)
-Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin - 1999 (first shooting ride)
-Pooh's Hunny Hunt - 2000 (first trackless ride)
-Soarin' - 2001
-Turtle Talk with Crush - 2004 (interactive show)
-Toy Story Mania - 2008
A lot of those claims aren't even true... And do you really, honestly believe that Disney is literally the only company that has changed the game?

WED99

I think game changer rides/technologies (for their time and still today) are:

-Circlevision - 1955
-Matterhorn - 1956 (first steel roller coaster)
-Flying Saucers - 1961
-Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln - 1964 (first full scale audio-animatronic)
-Omnimover - 1967
-PeopleMover - 1967
-Universe of Energy - 1982 (moving theater)
-Captain EO - 1986 (first special effects 3D film and theater)
-Star Tours - 1987 (first Motion Simulator)
-Tower of Terror - 1994
-Indiana Jones Adventure - 1995 (EMV Ride Vehicle)
-Test Track - 1999 (new ride system)
-Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin - 1999 (first shooting ride)
-Pooh's Hunny Hunt - 2000 (first trackless ride)
-Soarin' - 2001
-Turtle Talk with Crush - 2004 (interactive show)
-Toy Story Mania - 2008
Isn't Universe of Energy trackless?

Disneyhead'71

I personally like the "and there are no new Potter related products coming" argument.

I guess a $500+ million expansion to the WWOHP with 2 state of the art E-Tickets doesn't count.

Who knew.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
In Universal parks I see painted cement, junky-looking buildings, the eyesore Toon Lagoon area, and the Jurassic Park dinosaurs that look very cheap and are clearly falling apart.

Universal is very junky in general to me.
Have you ever looked at the ground underneath your feet at WDW?

Probably not if you are like most tourists....

Mike C

Walkways are a big deal at all the Orlando parks. There is plenty of painted concrete at WDW as well as all the other parks. However universal isn't all painted concrete, so I'm not sure where that's coming from. Seuss landing, in particular, has been a testing ground for bright color paint of all types (There's actually a mini documentary about it). Florida sun vs colored paint = bleaching. The brick walkways in San Francisco, the matted works over in KidZone, the fossils in Jurrasic park. Brickwork in wwohp, parts of Lost Continent. They tried sealing up the asphalt in the studios park, but that experiment didn't work, so I'd expect that to get redone fairly soon. There are specialized walkways in Marvel (particularly across from Spiderman).

Disney also does a lot of the same things, and use the same contractors as the other parks for a lot of it. The post is just flat out wrong.

WED99

Walkways are a big deal at all the Orlando parks. There is plenty of painted concrete at WDW as well as all the other parks. However universal isn't all painted concrete, so I'm not sure where that's coming from. Seuss landing, in particular, has been a testing ground for bright color paint of all types (There's actually a mini documentary about it). Florida sun vs colored paint = bleaching. The brick walkways in San Francisco, the matted works over in KidZone, the fossils in Jurrasic park. Brickwork in wwohp, parts of Lost Continent. They tried sealing up the asphalt in the studios park, but that experiment didn't work, so I'd expect that to get redone fairly soon. There are specialized walkways in Marvel (particularly across from Spiderman).

Disney also does a lot of the same things, and use the same contractors as the other parks for a lot of it. The post is just flat out wrong.
Doco link please?

Mori Anne

In the Parks
No
I am not even sure that Universal can beat Hp:) HP is amazing:) That being said, I still prefer WDW by far. .........Avatar could be competitive to HP if it actually happens IMHO :)

BryceM

The post is just flat out wrong.
You're telling me. I don't see the difference between the themed islands at Islands of Adventure and the themed lands of Magic Kingdom when it comes to what the lands are composed of.

If she thinks that Jurassic Park, Port of Entry, Wizarding World of Harry Potter, The Lost Continent, etc. are just pained concrete, then she must be on some sort of very strong medication or just completely blinded by her own opinions so she destroys anything that gets in her way. Ugh.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom