The only way Disney can beat Harry Potter

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
The Robocoaster ride system is the most powerful and versatile ride system ever built. Not only can it push riders MUCH closer to and into a scene than any other ride system available. But the vertical and lateral movements are unprecedented. And it has some amazing capabilities that Universal chose not to use so that the ride could appeal to a much larger audience. It not only can turn you upside down in multiple ways. It could spin the bench fast enough to drill a hole in metal. Of course that would kill every rider in the vehicle.
I'm just surprised that the Transformers attraction seems to use a mechanic more like Spider-Man than FJ. They unveiled this great new ride system, but it seems like a step backwards to not utilize it again.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I'm just surprised that the Transformers attraction seems to use a mechanic more like Spider-Man than FJ. They unveiled this great new ride system, but it seems like a step backwards to not utilize it again.

Transformers (for Singapore) and Forbidden Journey started development around the same time. It's understandble that they wouldn't want to develop two attractions base on a new technology at the same time. Now that FJ it open and the technology is proven it's possible we will see other rides base on it in the future.

Mike C

Transformers (for Singapore) and Forbidden Journey started development around the same time. It's understandble that they wouldn't want to develop two attractions base on a new technology at the same time. Now that FJ it open and the technology is proven it's possible we will see other rides base on it in the future.

The Gringotts coaster may, in an interesting way from what some (unsourced) rumors were. Some people were talking about a drop coaster, but it's probably more unique. Think the actual ride vehicle being picked up off the coaster track by the arm and moved around free form by the arm that moves on the kuka track for a bit and then dropped off back on another part of the coaster track. (Skip the lift hill entirely, use an arm!)

Bairstow

...not to mention that there were significant cost and size limitations on all the Transformer construction projects that prevented the building of robocoasters.
Besides that, when Spider-Man was built everyone was wondering when Universal would finally use that ride system again. Now they finally have.

thomas998

Yea, and I wanna' know what, exactly, qualifies anybody as a "reliable source" these days, anyway...?
Sorry, but, ex bus drivers, brothers, ex girl friends don't count...

Reminds me of the insurance commercial where some girl says she is has a date with a French model and then you see the guy walk up looking and sounding like a reject from the Hangover... unless you witness it firsthand it is dubious.

Californian Elitist

Everything else had been done before.

Not to the extent of Harry Potter, though. When it comes down to it, what does it matter if a themed land to a movie had already been done before Potter if almost no one cares about it? A Bug's Land is all trees, honestly. The only things I find pretty creative there are the bug lamps and the Kleenex tissue box bathroom.

Joseph Robinson

Not to the extent of Harry Potter, though. When it comes down to it, what does it matter if a themed land to a movie had already been done before Potter if almost no one cares about it? A Bug's Land is all trees, honestly. The only things I find pretty creative there are the bug lamps and the Kleenex tissue box bathroom.

Raven makes a good point here. What makes Harry Potter great is not that they did something new or innovative; but that they did what they did at a very high standard that makes their target audience happy.

donaldtoo

Reminds me of the insurance commercial where some girl says she is has a date with a French model and then you see the guy walk up looking and sounding like a reject from the Hangover... unless you witness it firsthand it is dubious.

Kinda' funny.
I quoted most of that commercial a little while back in another thread.
Not gonna' go back and try to find the thread right now, but it had somethin' to do with internet rumors, I believe.

WED99

That's all I'm trying to say.
I might say to that "Disneyland did it 50 years ago" but I have to admit it is rare to find these days. I guess we'll all just have to move on with different thoughts about the area, but in the end we will all enjoy it because it's great!

P.S. I care about A Bugs Land ;)

Calvin Coolidge

Haven't ridden Transformers but I'd take that Spider-Man ride system over FJ any day of the week

cheezbat

I personally don't believe FJ is one. LPS was because it allowed rides to be developed totally different with more focus on environment. Omnimover allowed for huge capacity and quick loading. EMV allowed for turning the vehicle into a character of its own. I think of FJ as just an Omnimover with advanced EMV properties. It didn't do much revolutionary or "game changing" for the theme park community.

That's your opinion.

Game changers: omnimovers like Haunted Mansion, EMVs like Indiana Jones Adventure, Amazing advanced motion 3-D rides like Adventures of Spider-Man, LPS like Poohs Hunny Hunt, and Robocoaster like Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey.

Just look at what these rides did for the industry, As well as what they have done for their respective parks. Forbidden Journey is so advanced and immersive...I will never forget my first ride on it. I was blown away...just like my first ride on Indy or Spider-Man.

Disneyhead'71

That's your opinion.

Game changers: omnimovers like Haunted Mansion, EMVs like Indiana Jones Adventure, Amazing advanced motion 3-D rides like Adventures of Spider-Man, LPS like Poohs Hunny Hunt, and Robocoaster like Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey.

Just look at what these rides did for the industry, As well as what they have done for their respective parks. Forbidden Journey is so advanced and immersive...I will never forget my first ride on it. I was blown away...just like my first ride on Indy or Spider-Man.
I remember my first sight of Primeval Whirl. Just like I remember my first sight of hairy back fat at the beach.

WDW95

That's your opinion.

I think game changer rides/technologies (for their time and still today) are:

-Circlevision - 1955
-Matterhorn - 1956 (first steel roller coaster)
-Flying Saucers - 1961
-Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln - 1964 (first full scale audio-animatronic)
-Omnimover - 1967
-PeopleMover - 1967
-Universe of Energy - 1982 (moving theater)
-Captain EO - 1986 (first special effects 3D film and theater)
-Star Tours - 1987 (first Motion Simulator)
-Tower of Terror - 1994
-Indiana Jones Adventure - 1995 (EMV Ride Vehicle)
-Test Track - 1999 (new ride system)
-Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin - 1999 (first shooting ride)
-Pooh's Hunny Hunt - 2000 (first trackless ride)
-Soarin' - 2001
-Turtle Talk with Crush - 2004 (interactive show)
-Toy Story Mania - 2008

Disneyhead'71

I think game changer rides/technologies (for their time and still today) are:

-Circlevision - 1955
-Matterhorn - 1956 (first steel roller coaster)
-Flying Saucers - 1961
-Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln - 1964 (first full scale audio-animatronic)
-Omnimover - 1967
-PeopleMover - 1967
-Universe of Energy - 1982 (moving theater)
-Captain EO - 1986 (first special effects 3D film and theater)
-Star Tours - 1987 (first Motion Simulator)
-Tower of Terror - 1994
-Indiana Jones Adventure - 1995 (EMV Ride Vehicle)
-Test Track - 1999 (new ride system)
-Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin - 1999 (first shooting ride)
-Pooh's Hunny Hunt - 2000 (first trackless ride)
-Soarin' - 2001
-Turtle Talk with Crush - 2004 (interactive show)
-Toy Story Mania - 2008
You forgot:

The Amazing Adventures of Spider-man - 1999 (first mix of 3D Projections and Multi-axis moving ride vehicle)

Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey - 2010 (first use of robotic arm moving ride vehicles combined with Caroussel mounted omnimax screens, combined with fully realized sets and animatronics,) they pretty much threw everything in their arsenal at that puppy. And I didn't mention the facial capture/mist screen projections and water effects because the facial capture tech was used in SSE in their JibJab ripoff, or the water spritzers because they have been used in every ride since ever and I still hate them.

Bairstow

You do realize that a lot of those "firsts" were done at other amusement parks and other entertainment venues earlier, right?

Patricia Melton

And yet it is Disney who is acting more and more like Six Flags (chipped paint, broken rides, poor maintenance, etc etc etc.) Universal is out-Disneying Disney...

In Universal parks I see painted cement, junky-looking buildings, the eyesore Toon Lagoon area, and the Jurassic Park dinosaurs that look very cheap and are clearly falling apart.

Universal is very junky in general to me.

Tony Perkis

In Universal parks I see painted cement, junky-looking buildings, the eyesore Toon Lagoon area, and the Jurassic Park dinosaurs that look very cheap and are clearly falling apart.

Universal is very junky in general to me.

You've made mention of this plenty of times before, but what on earth is the issue with painted cement? And in Universal's case, newly painted cement?

Patricia Melton

I must respectfully disagree with you. Star Wars almost definitely has more fans than Harry Potter does.

Harry Potter is already fading away from pop culture prominence. My niece and nephew are just a personal anecdote. They used to like Harry Potter, but now they think that is for "babies". That's what they said. I have all the Potter movies and sometime I try to put them on when they are here but they don't have much interest in them. My nephew wanted Star Wars Legos for Christmas though. And my niece has a Star Wars Angry Birds game she likes to play. So they both still like Star Wars.

The Potter books have not been touched on their bookshelf in a long time.

There's no new Potter products, merchandise, or projects to keep the brand thriving. Yes, a generation or so of kids grew up loving this stuff and will be nostalgic for it into their young adult lives...but is Potter catching the new kids coming up in its magic?

Not if my niece and nephew are indicative of any trend.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom