The Official Hurricane Jeanne thread

Tim G

Original Poster
Hurricane Jeanne Intermediate Advisory Number 49a

Issued at: 6:43 PM EDT 9/25/04

Dangerous core of hurricane jeanne approaching the Florida east coast

A hurricane warning is in effect along the Florida east coast from florida city northward to st. Augustine, including lake okeechobee. A hurricane warning is also in effect for the northwestern bahamas, including the abacos, andros island, berry islands, bimini, eleuthera, grand bahama island, and new providence. Preparations to protect life and property in the hurricane warning area should be rushed to completion.

A tropical storm warning and a hurricane watch remain in effect from north of st. Augustine northward to altamaha sound georgia.

A tropical storm warning remains in effect for the west coast of florida from east cape sable northward to the ochlockonee river.

A hurricane watch remains in effect from englewood to the suwannee river.

A tropical storm watch remains in effect from south of Florida city around the southern end of the Florida peninsula to east cape sable including Florida bay, and the Florida keys north of the seven mile bridge.

At 7 pm edt, 2300z, the eye of hurricane jeanne was located near latitude 27.1 north, longitude 79.1 west or about 90 miles east-southeast of vero beach Florida.

Jeanne has been moving between the west and west-northwest at 14 mph during the past few hours. A gradual turn to the northwest is expected during the next 24 hours. On this track, the core of the hurricane will reach the Florida east coast tonight. Hurricane force winds are expected to spread inland as much as 100 miles along the track of jeanne.

Maximum sustained winds are near 115 mph with higher gusts. Jeanne is a dangerous category three hurricane on the saffir-simpson hurricane scale. Some additional strengthening is possible before landfall in Florida. Stronger winds, especially in gusts, are likely to occur on high rise buildings.

Hurricane force winds extend outward up to 70 miles from the center, and tropical storm force winds extend outward up to 205 miles. Settlement point on the western end of grand bahama island recently reported a wind gust to 98 mph. A Florida coastal monitoring program wind tower in vero beach recently reported a wind gust to 63 mph.

The latest minimum pressure central pressure reported by a noaa hurricane hunter plane 951 mb, 28.08 inches.
Storm surge flooding of 2 to 4 feet above normal tide levels, along with large and dangerous battering waves, are still occurring near the western end of grand bahama island.

Coastal storm surge flooding of 4 to 7 feet above normal tide levels, along with large and dangerous battering waves, can be expected near and to the north of where the center makes landfall along the Florida east coast. A storm surge of up to 5 feet above the present water level is likely to occur mainly on the east side of lake okeechobee.

Tides of 1 to 3 feet above normal are possible in the warned area along the Florida west coast, possible reaching 3 to 6 feet in areas of onshore flow north of tampa bay.
Rainfall totals of 5 to 10 inches, with isolated higher amounts are possible along the track of jeanne over the northwestern bahamas and Florida.

Isolated tornadoes are possible over portions of the east Florida peninsula tonight.
Repeating the 7 pm edt position, 27.1 n, 79.1 w. Movement toward, west to west-northwest near 14 mph. Maximum sustained winds, 115 mph. Minimum central pressure, 950 mb.
For storm information specific to your area, please monitor products issued by your local weather office.

An intermediate advisory will be issued by the national hurricane center at 9 pm edt followed by the next complete advisory at 11 pm edt.

Tim G

Original Poster
Hurricane Jeanne Update

Waves Of 24 Feet Reported Ahead Of Hurricane Jeanne

UPDATED: 7:47 pm EDT September 25, 2004

FORT PIERCE, Fla. -- Hurricane Jeanne got stronger, bigger and faster as it battered the Bahamas and bore down on Florida Saturday, forcing hundreds of thousands more residents to hurriedly shutter their homes ahead of its anticipated devastating punch.

About 2 million people were urged to evacuate from Florida City to the Georgia border as Jeanne strengthened to 115 mph from 105 mph earlier in the day. It was expected to come ashore late Saturday or early Sunday somewhere on the state's central Atlantic coast and take a last-minute turn to the north that could devastate east and central Florida.
"Yesterday I was hoping we wouldn't lose power again," said Lynn Tarrington of Lake Worth, who was leaving her home near the water early Saturday. "Now I'm hoping I have a house left when I come back."

As it made its way toward Florida, Jeanne tore across the Bahamas, leaving some neighborhoods submerged under 5 feet of water. No deaths or serious injuries were reported there, but the storm was earlier blamed for more than 1,500 deaths in floods in Haiti.
The Category 3 storm's outer bands started lashing Florida Saturday morning with steadily increasing rain and wind. Waves of 24 feet were reported ahead of Jeanne and were moving toward the coast.
It will be the state's fourth hurricane in six weeks, a scenario unmatched in more than a century.

Jeanne was expected to hit near where Hurricane Frances came ashore three weeks ago, leaving behind piles of debris that officials feared would turn into deadly, home-destroying missiles in Jeanne's wind.
"I really can't believe it's happening all over again -- and right in the same place," said Charity Brown, who moved to West Palm Beach from Chicago three months ago with her children, ages 5 and 3. They hid in a closet as Frances tore the roof off their apartment. That hole is now covered by a tarp, so the family took shelter Saturday at an elementary school that was filling with evacuees.
"I'm going to get out of (Florida). It's scary. It's crazy."

Not since Texas in 1886 has one state has been struck by four hurricanes in a season. Jeanne follows Charley, which struck Aug. 13 and devastated southwest Florida; Frances, which struck Labor Day weekend; and Ivan, which blasted the western Panhandle when it made landfall in nearby Alabama on Sept. 16. The storms caused billions of dollars in combined damage and killed at least 70 people in Florida alone.
Gov. Jeb Bush warned Floridians not to let storm fatigue get the best of them, "even though we're weary and even though this is a painful process."
"They must treat this hurricane as if it's the only hurricane they've ever been through," said Max Mayfield, director of the National Hurricane Center in Miami. "This has the potential to cause loss of life."

Officials ran out of time to remove piles of debris left over from Frances -- some taller than adults -- that still sit in neighborhoods. Some people took to burning the downed trees, housing material and other debris that could become airborne, banging into homes and endangering anyone who ventures outside. If debris penetrates a home's window or wall, that would allow Jeanne's winds to get inside and push off the roof.
At a mobile home park on the Intracoastal Waterway, George MacArthur's home was one of the few that remained intact amid mounds of twisted metal, smashed furniture, broken tiles and garbage bins filled with trash. He feared his home was about to be smashed by all the debris Jeanne flings about.
"All the ones in the front got it last time. Now it's my turn," MacArthur said.

The storm will make the already formidable job of keeping the lights on in Florida even more difficult -- especially if Jeanne follows in Frances' path, giving its wind piles of ammunition to topple power lines.
Electric company officials feared Hurricane Jeanne could leave millions of customers without power, some for three weeks or more. An estimated 6 million people were affected by outages caused by Hurricane Frances.
About 12,000 customers already were without power in South Florida on Saturday. In the Panhandle, more than 81,000 homes and business remained without electricity because of Hurricane Ivan.
Florida Power and Light, the state's largest power company, had recruited 2,500 workers from around the country to help with the impending restoration effort, and was trying to recruit more, company president Armando Olivera said.

Gas stations and businesses were boarded up and deserted Saturday afternoon, and law enforcement took to the radio airwaves, saying that anyone who was outside their homes after the 6 p.m. curfew would end up in jail.
It was unknown how many of the 2 million people urged to evacuate actually did, but Judy and Terry Smith, their daughter and son-in-law were among them.
They were driving from their home on Merritt Island inland to a hotel in Orlando, bringing their one dog and five cats with them. Their house was spared by Frances, but they weren't taking any chances with Jeanne.
"What can you do?" Judy Smith asked. "You've got your house insurance, and everything in it can be replaced. Everything I care about is right here," she said, motioning to her family, her eyes filling with tears.

Others were trying to ride out the storm. Behind a fire station in Titusville, a pile of sand, bags and shovels were open to all. Alfred Grace was filling sandbags to put on his roof to hold down the tarps covering damage from the last hurricane.
Johnny Curry, 50, a Kennedy Space Center engineer, wanted sandbags to keep water away from the back of his house. Water almost got into his patio door during Frances.
"I can't do anything about this until I retire," said Curry, who ultimately plans to move to Georgia. "This is getting a little old."

At 7 p.m. EDT, Jeanne was centered about 90 miles east-southeast of Vero Beach and was moving west and slightly north at 14 mph, slightly faster than Friday.
Jeanne was expected to turn north over central Florida and stay inland over Georgia and the Carolinas through Tuesday. Rainfall totals of 5 to 10 inches were expected in the storm's path, and flooding could be a major concern because previous hurricanes have already saturated the ground and filled canals, rivers and lakes.

Tim G

Original Poster
Hurricane Jeanne Update

'It's scary. It's crazy'

Jeanne Nears Florida With 115 Mph Winds; Devastation Predicted

September 25, 2004, 7:52 PM EDT

WEST PALM BEACH -- Hurricane Jeanne got stronger, bigger and faster as it began slamming into storm-weary Florida today, sending huge waves crashing into beaches and again forcing thousands into shelters just weeks after Frances ravaged this area.
About 2 million people were urged to evacuate from Florida City to the Georgia border as Jeanne strengthened to 115 mph. It was expected to come ashore late Saturday or early Sunday somewhere on the state's central Atlantic coast and take a last-minute turn to the north that could devastate east and central Florida.

Florida is now the first state since Texas 118 years ago to be hit by four hurricanes in one year. Florida has never been hit by four storms in any recorded season.
Even before landfall, sheets of rain were falling in central coast communities. Palm trees were bent halfway to the ground. The streets were deserted, and sections of coastal highways were flooded.
"Yesterday I was hoping we wouldn't lose power again," said Lynn Tarrington of Lake Worth, who was leaving her home near the water early Saturday. "Now I'm hoping I have a house left when I come back."

In addition to the expected storm surge and flooding, officials feared that Jeanne's winds could turn the debris left behind by Frances into deadly, home-destroying missiles.
"I really can't believe it's happening all over again, and right in the same place," said Charity Brown, who moved to West Palm Beach from Chicago three months ago with her children, ages 5 and 3. They hid in a closet as Frances tore the roof off their apartment. That hole is now covered by a tarp, so the family took shelter Saturday at an elementary school that was filling with evacuees.
"I'm going to get out of (Florida). It's scary. It's crazy."

Jeanne's push was causing waves of up to 24 feet off the coastline, which was again being battered and eroded.
On Hutchinson Island, white high-rise luxury condos loomed late Saturday like ghost ships in the gray squalls. At the Atlantis complex, about 40 miles north of West Palm Beach, John Lumberson, 54, proudly displayed a window contraption he constructed -- a plywood-and-2-by-4 barrier with a porthole looking at raging waves that crashed against his house.
"We never leave. We'll make it," said Lumberson, who lives on the second floor. The first floor of his condo complex was washed away by Frances, its surf roaring through beachfront living rooms and exiting the back doors.
Just down the road, angry swells licked pieces of mobile homes out to sea. And at one of the causeway bridges leading to the barrier island, a sailboat bashed against the seawall and began to sink. Within minutes, all that remained above water was less than a foot of its yellow mast.

Hurricane force winds of 79 mph or greater were extending out 70 miles to the north of the eye and 40 miles to the south as Jeanne's eye neared the coast.
"I know people are fatigued and some are still recovering who were hit by Frances and I know they are tired. However, they must treat this hurricane as if it's the only hurricane they've ever been through. This has the potential to cause loss of life," said Max Mayfield, director of the National Hurricane Center in Miami.
The season's three earlier storms -- Charley, Frances and Ivan -- caused billions of dollars in damage and killed at least 70 people.

"It's incredible," Gov. Jeb Bush said Saturday as he met with the state's emergency preparedness officials. But he begged Floridians not to let their storm fatigue get the best of them, "even though we're weary and even though this is a painful process."
He said the long-term effect of all the storms "is not a pretty picture." Tourism, agriculture, housing -- all major sectors of the economy will be affected. The governor said he expects his brother, President Bush, to again declare parts of Florida a disaster area.

Florida Power & Light officials reported more than 129,000 outages and warned customers that outages could last of three weeks or more in places. Crews, including 2,500 out-of-state workers from as far away as the western United States and Canada, will be ready to begin restoring power once the storm passes. Some areas in Jeanne's path just got power restored about a week ago after losing it for two weeks after Frances.
"We are stretched the same way everybody else involved in getting people's lives back to normal are stretched right now," said Armando Olivera, the president of Florida Power and Light, the state's largest power company. "It's an unfortunate reality."

Along with high winds and floods, Jeanne was posing an additional danger because piles of debris left over from Frances -- some taller than adults -- still sat in neighborhoods as officials ran out of time to remove it. Jeanne's winds could make airborne those downed trees, housing material and sheet metal, banging it into homes and endangering anyone who ventures outside. If it penetrates a home's window or wall, that would allow Jeanne's winds to get inside and push off the roof. Some people took to burning debris.
At a mobile home park on the Intracoastal Waterway in St. Lucie County, George MacArthur's home was one of the few that remained intact amid mounds of twisted metal, smashed furniture, broken tiles and garbage bins filled with trash. Now he fears his home will be smashed by all the debris when Jeanne flings it about.
"All the ones in the front got it last time. Now it's my turn," MacArthur said.

Judy and Terry Smith decided to get out of their home on Merritt Island, and headed to Orlando with their daughter and son-in-law, one dog and five cats. Their house was spared by Frances, but they weren't taking any chances with Jeanne.
"What can you do?" Judy Smith asked. "You've got your house insurance, and everything in it can be replaced.
Everything I care about is right here," she said, motioning to her family, her eyes filling with tears.
Ada Dent brought her 2-year-old grandson to a West Palm Beach shelter because she lives in a low-lying area. More than 33,000 people were in Florida shelters Saturday evening.
"Before I left home, I prayed over my house and I told God it was in his hands," Dent said.

Others were trying to ride out the storm. Behind a fire station in Titusville, a pile of sand, bags and shovels were open to all. Alfred Grace was filling sandbags to put on his roof to hold down the tarps covering roof damage from the last hurricane.
Johnny Curry, 50, a Kennedy Space Center engineer, wanted the sandbags to keep water away from the back of his house. Water almost got in through his patio door during Frances.
"I can't do anything about this until I retire," said Curry, who ultimately plans to move to Georgia. "This is getting a little old."

Across the region, residents were frantically gathering last-minute supplies Saturday. Jean McArthur, of West Palm Beach, was hurriedly buying supplies at a Wal-Mart. She had bags full of water, batteries, flashlights and snacks for her three kids.
"We've all been thinking, 'This really can't come at us again.' Now that it's just a few hours away, everyone is being forced to take it seriously. I've stopped laughing about it at this point," said McArthur, 39.
At 7 p.m. EDT, Jeanne was centered about 90 miles east-southeast of Vero Beach and was moving west and slightly to the north at 14 mph, a little faster than Friday. Sustained winds were 115 mph, up from 100 late Friday.

Jeanne was expected to turn north over central Florida and stay inland over Georgia and the Carolinas through Tuesday. Rainfall totals of 5 to 10 inches were expected in the storm's path, and flooding could be a major concern because previous hurricanes have already saturated the ground and filled canals, rivers and lakes.
The storm earlier killed more than 1,500 people in Haiti and wracked the Bahamas on Saturday.

Tim G

Original Poster
Hurricane Jeanne Update

Devastating Jeanne Is Going To Make Landfall At Midnight

Florida and Bahamas I.R. Satellite

Image Delay = 30 Mins.

(This Will Be The Last I.R. Satellite Update Before Switching To Melbourne Real Time Doppler Radar)

Attachments

• Jeanne_ir_loop_08.gif
    Jeanne_ir_loop_08.gif
    504.9 KB · Views: 118

Tim G

Original Poster
Hurricane Jeanne Update

Scenes In The path Of Hurricane Jeanne

September 25, 2004, 8:41 PM EDT

LAKE BUENA VISTA -- Saturday night, they began closing the shops and restaurants at the Marketplace at Downtown Disney a few minutes before 7.

One after another, tourists and coastal residents staying nearby tugged on the locked doors, just in case.
With the hurricane hours from the southeast coast and maybe a half day from Central Florida, the tourists and refugees wandered back to the Downtown Disney bus stop or crossed the street to their hotels as a misty rain began to fall.

At one of the Disney-area hotels, the Wyndham Palace Resort & Spa, guests in jeans and T-shirts stood in sharp contrast to the families dressed to the nines for one of the four wedding receptions scheduled for Saturday night.

In the lounge, people passed the time laughing and talking as the televisions showed the color-enhanced images of Jeanne spinning closer and closer toward the coast.

SANFORD -- After the final briefing of the day, workers inside the Seminole County Emergency Operations Center settled in for the long wait for Hurricane Jeanne.
Images of the hurricane filled most of the screens around the room, but on one large screen a crowd gathered to watch the Clemson-FSU football game.

One of the most interested spectators was Seminole County Sheriff's Chief Deputy Steve Harriett.
Under different circumstances, the FSU grad would be in the stands in Tallahassee.
However, when duty calls, duty calls.
Just ask Seminole County Deputy County Manager Don Fisher, who had to cut short his vacation to ride out the storm at the EOC.

Tim G

Original Poster
Hurricane Jeanne Predicted To Hit Florida Overnight

Some 2 Million People Urged To Evacuate - Again

UPDATED: 8:53 PM EDT September 25, 2004

MIAMI -- Florida's governor is concerned about storm-fatigued residents who are about to experience yet a another hurricane in such a short time span.

At a briefing Saturday, Jeb Bush tried to soothe their fears by saying "a week from now," Florida is going to be "a better place than it is today. And I can assure you that a month from now it's going to be even better."

About 2 million people have been urged to evacuate from southern Florida to the Georgia border as Jeanne strengthened to 115 mph. It's expected to come ashore late Saturday or early Sunday somewhere on the state's central Atlantic Coast, making Jeanne the fourth hurricane to slam the state the season.

The Category 3 storm's outer bands have already started lashing the state with steadily increasing rain and wind. In Palm Beach County, residents frantically gathered last-minute supplies.

One woman at a Wal-Mart said everyone is taking the storm seriously -- now that it's just a few hours away.

Airlines canceled flights at airports in Miami and Fort Lauderdale, stranding some passengers.

Latest Info On Jeanne

At 8 p.m., the eye of Hurricane Jeanne was located near latitude 27.1 north, longitude 79.3 west, or about 80 miles east-southeast of Vero Beach.

Jeanne has been moving between the west and west-northwest at 14 mph during the past few hours. A gradual turn to the northwest is expected during the next 24 hours. On this track, the core of the hurricane will reach the Florida east coast overnight. Hurricane-force winds are expected to spread inland as much as 100 miles along the storm's track .

Maximum sustained winds were near 115 mph with higher gusts. Some additional strengthening is possible before landfall in Florida. Stronger winds, especially in gusts, are likely to occur on high-rise buildings.

Hurricane-force winds extend outward up to 70 miles from the center, and tropical-storm-force winds extend outward up to 205 miles.

A hurricane warning is in effect along the Florida east coast from Florida City northward to St. Augustine, including Lake Okeechobee. A hurricane warning is also in effect for the northwestern Bahamas, including the Abacos, Andros Island, Berry Islands, Bimini, Eleuthera, Grand Bahama Island and New Providence.

Tim G

Original Poster
Walt Disney World® Resort
Important Information

Walt Disney World® theme parks and water parks will be closed Sunday, September 26.

Walt Disney World® Resort has taken several steps to ensure the safety of guests staying on our property.

All Walt Disney World® Resort hotels will remain open throughout the storm, with the exception of Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground and Disney's Vero Beach Resort.

Guests with reservations at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground arriving from September 24 through September 27 are being relocated to other resorts.

Guests holding reservations during these same dates for Disney's Vero Beach Resort will have the option, if they wish, to relocate to a resort at the Walt Disney World® Resort.

Guests who have scheduled reservations at either one of these resorts arriving before Tuesday, September 28 are encouraged to call (407) W-DISNEY.

Guests with Walt Disney World® reservations arriving between Friday, September 24 and Monday, September 27, 2004, may, if they wish, modify or cancel their reservations by calling (407) W-DISNEY.

Any deposit and cancellation fees will be fully refunded (with the exception of airline tickets issued for a WDTC air inclusive package.

For airline modifications or changes, guests should contact the airline directly.)

This policy change only applies to guests or Travel Agents who booked their reservation directly through Walt Disney World® .

Guests who booked a Walt Disney World® reservation through another intermediary must contact them directly.

Guests who wish to contact friends or family staying on Disney property should call (407) WDW- INFO or (407) 939-4636.

Tim G

Original Poster
Hurricane Jeanne Update

Realtime Melbourne Radar

Base Reflectivity 0.50 Degree Elevation Range 124 NMI

Attachments

• WUNIDS04.gif
    WUNIDS04.gif
    841.6 KB · Views: 101

Tim G

Original Poster
Hurricane Jeanne Update

STORM STATUS September 25, 8:53 PM EDT

Name: Hurricane Jeanne
Location: About 75 Miles Southeast of Vero Beach Florida, And About 55 Miles East-Southeast Of Fort Pierce Florida.
Lat/Long: 27.2N, 79.5W
Max Winds: 115 mph
Category: 3
Heading: West To West-Northwest
Speed: 13 mph
Pressure: 28.08 inches

Realtime Gulf Coast Doppler Radar

Attachments

• Florida_anim.gif
    Florida_anim.gif
    331.1 KB · Views: 101

Tim G

Original Poster
Hurricane Jeanne Intermediate Advisory Number 49b

Issued at: 8:53 PM EDT 9/25/04

Dangerous hurricane jeanne bearing down on the Florida east coast

A hurricane warning is in effect along the Florida east coast from florida city northward to st. Augustine, including lake okeechobee. A hurricane warning is also in effect for the northwestern bahamas, including the abacos, andros island, berry islands, bimini, eleuthera, grand bahama island, and new providence. Preparations to protect life and property in the hurricane warning area should be rushed to completion.

A tropical storm warning and a hurricane watch remain in effect from north of st. Augustine northward to altamaha sound georgia.

A tropical storm warning remains in effect for the west coast of florida from east cape sable northward to the ochlockonee river.

A hurricane watch remains in effect from englewood to the suwannee river.

A tropical storm watch remains in effect from south of Florida city around the southern end of the Florida peninsula to east cape sable including Florida bay, and the Florida keys north of the seven mile bridge.
At 9 pm edt, 0100z, the eye of hurricane jeanne was located near latitude 27.2 north, longitude 79.5 west or about 75 miles southeast of vero beach Florida, and about 55 miles east-southeast of fort pierce Florida.

Jeanne is moving between the west and west-northwest near 13 mph. A gradual turn to the northwest is expected during the next 24 hours. On this track, the core of the hurricane will reach the Florida east coast in a few hours. Hurricane force winds are expected to spread inland as much as 100 miles along the track of jeanne.
Maximum sustained winds are near 115 mph with higher gusts. Jeanne is a dangerous category three hurricane on the saffir-simpson hurricane scale. Some additional strengthening is possible before landfall in Florida. Stronger winds, especially in gusts, are likely to occur on high rise buildings.

Hurricane force winds extend outward up to 70 miles from the center, and tropical storm force winds extend outward up to 205 miles. Settlement point on the western end of grand bahama island recently reported sustained winds of 86 mph with a gust to 112 mph. A Florida coastal monitoring program wind tower near vero beach recently reported sustained winds of 55 mph with a gust to 68 mph.
The latest minimum pressure central pressure reported by a noaa hurricane hunter plane 951 mb, 28.08 inches.

Coastal storm surge flooding of 4 to 7 feet above normal tide levels, along with large and dangerous battering waves, can be expected near and to the north of where the center makes landfall along the Florida east coast. A storm surge of up to 5 feet above the present water level is likely to occur mainly on the east side of lake okeechobee.
Tides of 1 to 3 feet above normal are possible in the warned area along the Florida west coast, possibly reaching 3 to 6 feet in areas of onshore flow north of tampa bay.

Rainfall totals of 5 to 10 inches, with isolated higher amounts are possible along the track of jeanne over the northwestern bahamas and Florida.
Isolated tornadoes are possible over portions of the east Florida peninsula tonight.
Repeating the 9 pm edt position, 27.2 n, 79.5 w. Movement toward, west to west-northwest near 13 mph. Maximum sustained winds, 115 mph. Minimum central pressure, 951 mb.
For storm information specific to your area, please monitor products issued by your local weather office.

The next advisory will be issued by the national hurricane center at 11 pm edt.

winterparkbaby

MissM said:
Both do affect the hurricane season and Florida's likely impact:

Storms are more likely to gather in the Atlantic during La Niña years, when surface temperatures in the eastern, tropical Pacific Ocean drop by a couple of degrees, which reduce west-to-east winds across the Caribbean Sea and tropical Atlantic.

In 1995, for example, there were 19 named Atlantic storms, four of which hit Florida.

The reverse is true for storm season activity during El Niño years, when eastern, tropical Pacific Ocean temperatures rise. In the 1997 El Nino year, there were seven named storms, none of which hit Florida.

This year is considered neutral — there are neither La Niña or El Niño conditions, although a weak El Niño is forming. It's expected to have little affect this hurricane season.

An El Niño, especially a strong one, increases west-to-east winds across the Caribbean and tropical Atlantic. Such winds, opposite to the east-to-west winds that push hurricanes across the tropics, create shear, which weakens or destroys hurricanes. (source: USA Today)

So it's a really complicated situation. There are multiple factors that go into play with hurricane development, the strength and number of the storms and whether or not Florida ends up as a target.

-m

In 1995, for example, there were 19 named Atlantic storms, four of which hit Florida.

I believe this is actually not a true statement. Many times I have read and heard that the last time four hurricanes hit a state was 1886. The four storms hit Texas.

I was born and raised in florida(winter park, longwood and heathrow), hanging on right now on the west coast of florida, always keeping a watchful eye on the storms. ivan freightned me to the point i flew to the midwest for the last couple of weeks.

Figment1986

Isn;t this making 5 storms that hit FLA...

Bonnie, Charlie, Frances, Ivan (pan-handel) and now Jeanne (who is the families least favorite ant for a while...)

Can we find the magnet and switch it to negative now??

winterparkbaby

Figment1986 said:

Bonnie, Charlie, Frances, Ivan (pan-handel) and now Jeanne (who is the families least favorite ant for a while...)

i think bonnie was just a ts, maybe i am wrong???

tigger248

As always, everyone in the path of this monster is in my thoughts and prayers. May God be with you all! Stay safe everyone!

DDuckFan130

Figment1986 said:

Bonnie was a Tropical Storm when it hit :).

Erika

winterparkbaby said:

I believe this is actually not a true statement. Many times I have read and heard that the last time four hurricanes hit a state was 1886. The four storms hit Texas.
[/color]

The storms mentioned above are not necessarily hurricanes, just "named storms." So it could very well be true.

Floridians, hang in there. :( We're all thinking about you.

pinkrose

This was in my abc33/40 weather e-mail today.

.... This also made Jeanne the sixth major hurricane of the 2004 Atlantic season. Jeanne will be the third major hurricane to make landfall in the United States this year (after Charley and Ivan.) Frances was a category two storm at landfall, so it does not qualify as a major hurricane according to the definition. According to my database of landfalling U.S. hurricanes, since 1900, there have been four other seasons where three major hurricanes have hit the U.S.: 1909, 1933, and 1954 and 1955. No season has ever had four since 1900. According to Frank Lepore at the National Hurricane Center, the four hurricanes that have hit Florida is almost a record. Five hurricanes struck the state in 1851.

poogy71

I hope that the hurricane won't hurt WDW/Universal/SeaWorld

Stay safe (and if you know anything about the damage the Jeanne make, please tell me)

poogy71

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom