The Official Hurricane Ivan thread...

The Mom

Premium Member
Maria said:
The rain woke me up at 7:30am. It has stopped now, but we are going to have showers all day.
Cancun is on orange alert now and after 10am they will decide wether to evacuate guests or not and change the alert to red.
What is scary is that Ivan moves veeery slowly... we still don´t know which path is going to take. I have to go work... see you all later!

Maria, be very careful! We didn't get a direct hit from Frances, but it was pretty rough for a while. Make sure you have enough chocolate!!!

Once you get through the survival phase, comfort becomes paramount. :animwink:

Atta83

Well I hope something good happenes in the next few hours. I hope he gets sheared as he comes in the gulf so that will weaken him. Hes a tricky one...

Tim G

<TABLE borderColor=#000000 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="98%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TD bgColor=#ff0000><TABLE width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=large>STORM STATUS</TD><TD class=small align=right>September 13, 10:29 AM EDT</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#cccccc><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="95%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2>Name: Hurricane Ivan</TD></TR><TR><TD class=small vAlign=top>Location: About 85 miles, 135 km, South-Southeast of The Western Tip Of Cuba.
Lat/Long: 20.6N, 84.4W
Max Winds: 160 mph
Category: 5
</TD><TD class=small vAlign=top noWrap>Heading: Northwest
Speed: 8 mph
Pressure: 27.02 inches
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=small align=middle colSpan=2></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Hurricane Ivan Advisory Number 45

Issued at: 10:29 AM EDT 9/13/04

Extremely dangerous category 5 ivan heading toward western cuba and the yucatan channel

A hurricane warning remains in effect for cuba from pinar del rio to ciego de avila including the isle of youth. A hurricane warning means that hurricane conditions are expected within the warning area within the next 24 hours. Preparations to protect life and property should be rushed to completion.

A hurricane watch remains in effect for the rest of cuba.

A hurricane warning remains in effect for the northeastern yucatan peninsula from tulum to progreso.

At 11 am edt, 1500z, the government of the cayman islands has discontinued all warnings for all of the cayman islands.

A tropical storm watch remains in effect for the Florida keys from the seven mile bridge westward to the dry tortugas.

Hurricane watches may be required for portions of the north central and northeastern gulf of mexico coast later today or tonight.

At 11 am edt, 1500z, the center of hurricane ivan was located near latitude 20.6 north, longitude 84.4 west or about 85 miles, 135 km, south-southeast of the western tip of cuba.

Ivan is moving toward the northwest near 8 mph, 13 km/hr, and this general motion is expected for the next 24 hours.

Maximum sustained winds are near 160 mph, 260 km/hr, with higher gusts. Some fluctuations in strength are expected during the next 24 hours. During the past few hours, sand key in the lower Florida keys reported a sustained wind of 41 mph with a gust to 48 mph during the passage of an outer rainband of ivan.

Hurricane force winds extend outward up to 105 miles, 165 km, from the center, and tropical storm force winds extend outward up to 205 miles, 335 km.

The estimated minimum central pressure recently reported by an air force reserve hurricane hunter aircraft was 915 mb, 27.02 inches.

Coastal storm surge flooding of 20 to 25 feet, locally higher, above normal tide levels, along with large and dangerous battering waves, can be expected near and to the east of where the center makes landfall, if it does make landfall in western cuba.

Rainfall amounts of 8 to 12 inches, possibly causing life- threatening flash floods and mud slides, can be expected along the path of ivan.

Repeating the 11 am edt position, 20.6 n, 84.4 w. Movement toward, northwest near 8 mph. Maximum sustained winds, 160 mph. Minimum central pressure, 915 mb.

For storm information specific to your area, please monitor products issued by your local weather office.
An intermediate advisory will be issued by the national hurricane center at 2 pm edt followed by the next complete advisory at 5 pm edt.

Tim G

Update Hurricane Ivan

Caribbean I.R. Satellite Update

Image Delay = 30 Mins.

Attachments

• jam_ir_anim13.gif
    jam_ir_anim13.gif
    563.1 KB · Views: 123

Tim G

Update Hurricane Ivan

Gulf of Mexico I.R. Satellite Update

Image Delay = 30 Mins.<!-- / message --><!-- attachments --><!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->
<!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

Attachments

• Gulf_ir_anim_05.gif
    Gulf_ir_anim_05.gif
    539.3 KB · Views: 117

TheDisneyGirl02

That storm is huge and looks very wicked. For those living in central and south Florida, it looks like the outter bands are hitting you. Is it rainy and windy? I was just wondering since I'm stuck in PA!

Take care everybody who is in the path of the hurricane!

TheDisneyGirl02

Tim G

Update Hurricane Ivan

Ivan Pounding Cuba

Image Delay = 30 Mins.<!-- / message --><!-- attachments --><!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

Attachments

• Gulf_ir_anim_06.gif
    Gulf_ir_anim_06.gif
    607 KB · Views: 93

Tim G

<TABLE borderColor=#000000 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="98%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TD bgColor=#ff0000><TABLE width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=large>STORM STATUS</TD><TD class=small align=right>September 13, 1:38 PM EDT</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#cccccc><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="95%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2>Name: Hurricane Ivan</TD></TR><TR><TD class=small vAlign=top>Location: About 70 miles, 110 km, South-Southeast of The Western Tip Of Cuba.
Lat/Long: 20.9N, 84.7W
Max Winds: 160 mph
Category: 5
</TD><TD class=small vAlign=top noWrap>Heading: Northwest
Speed: 8 mph
Pressure: 26.99 inches</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Panhandle residents battening down as Ivan takes aim

September 13, 2004, 3:54 PM EDT

ST. MARKS, Fla. -- Residents of the Florida Panhandle got serious about boarding up windows, stocking food and worrying today as deadly Hurricane Ivan appeared to be heading in their direction as a "very formidable" hurricane.

At the other end of the state, people who had fled the Florida Keys were told the 120-mile island chain had dodged the storm's bullet and the 79,000 residents could go back home.

Emergency officials in several Panhandle counties were expected to decide Tuesday whether to order evacuations from rural fishing villages and beach communities as Ivan threatened to become the third hurricane to hit the state this summer.

"It's stupid to stay unless you like camping in a disaster area.
There's no reason to be out here," retired dental laboratory owner Mark Sigler said today at his house across the street from the Gulf of Mexico on Pensacola Beach.

Forecasters said Ivan, which strengthened back to a Category 5 storm Sunday night with wind up to 160 mph, could strike somewhere along a huge swath of the Gulf Coast by Wednesday after striking Cuba later today.
They advised residents of the Gulf Coast from west-central Florida to the Louisiana marshes to be leery of the storm that already had killed at least 68 people and injured hundreds in the Caribbean.
"I'm not going to stay and wait and see if it's scary," Molly Dupont, 23, said today in Orange Beach, Ala., as she got ready to head for a sister's home in Ohio.

Traffic along the Alabama shore was congested in both directions today. While many were fleeing the beach, workers making storm preparations and people checking on second homes and boats were heading to Gulf Shores.
Some had already started packing during the weekend. "I think it's going to take the trailer. I'm packing up as much as I can," Virginia Gross said Sunday near Fowl River, Ala.
Farther west along the Gulf Coast at Pascagoula, Miss., people were buying hurricane supplies including bottled water, batteries and canned goods, said Randy Howze, manager of a Winn-Dixie supermarket.

"Right now, it's pretty hectic," Howze said this morning.
Before striking the coast, Ivan could be weakened by the cooler water of the northern Gulf of Mexico and wind shear, said National Hurricane Center meteorologist Michael Formosa.
However, that does not mean people should relax, his boss said.

"It's still going to be a very formidable hurricane when it gets into the northeastern Gulf of Mexico," hurricane center director Max Mayfield said today. "It's going to hit somebody there. This is a very, very dangerous hurricane."

While Gulf coast residents were on alert, people in the tourist haven of the Keys and populous South Florida relaxed because Ivan's westward-shifting track meant they were no longer the hurricane's prime target.

Monroe County officials lifted mandatory evacuation orders that began Thursday for tourists.

At 2 p.m. EDT, Ivan was centered 70 miles south-southeast of the western tip of Cuba, and was headed toward the northwest at about 8 mph, a general motion it was expected to continue through midday Tuesday, the Miami-based hurricane center said.

Hurricane warnings were posted for both western Cuba and the tip of Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula.
Ivan still had top sustained wind near 160 mph, up from 150 mph on Sunday. The minimum sustained wind speed for Category 5 status is 156 mph.

Among oil companies with operations in the region, Shell Oil said it would finish evacuating all of its personnel from platforms in the eastern Gulf of Mexico by the end of today and planned to evacuate central gulf operations by Wednesday.

State and federal officials and disaster relief crews who already have dealt with Hurricanes Frances and Charley were preparing for Ivan. Federal Emergency Management Agency head Michael Brown said federal aid is in place to help with recovery from the storm.

Officials in the Keys estimated Ivan would cost $16 million to $20 million in tourism-related sales on top of $35 million lost to Charley last month.
Total insured losses from Charley were estimated at just under $7 billion, and those from Frances were pegged at $2 billion to $4 billion. Experts say overall damages are usually double the insured amount. At least 50 people died in Florida because of those storms.
About 283,000 homes and businesses still had no electricity today as a result of Frances, which plowed ashore on Florida's East Coast on Sept. 5.

Tim G

Cancun shuts down

Monday, Sept. 13, 2004

Waves grow more intensely by the hotel zone of Cancun, Mexico.

The island of Cozumel shut down its airport, halted the arrival of cruise ships and prohibited all maritime navigation.

Visitors to Cancun were advised not to stray from their hotels as both resort areas prepared Monday for the secondary effects of Hurricane Ivan.

Attachments

• 14230554.jpg
    14230554.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 78

Maria

Thank you! We are on orange alert now. That pic of Cancun is the hotel in Punta Cancun (Camino Real or whatever is called now). It´s the tip of the "7" the island is shaped like. When Gilbert, those hotels lost their beach and slowly have gained it again... hopefully, Iván will do the opposite! hehe

Tim G

Update Hurricane Ivan

The Eye Is Aiming For Cuba

Image Delay = 30 Mins.

Attachments

• Gulf_ir_anim_07.gif
    Gulf_ir_anim_07.gif
    653.1 KB · Views: 114

DisneyChik17

Well....the new eye projection as of...12:00 today put the eye right on Gulf Shores. That's so close to home for me it's scary. I hope it goes away like...NOW! We don't even have school for the next 4 days because all the other county shelters are in the south of the county...we're the northern most so we're opening up at 8 am. So this MAJORLY sucks!

pinkrose

The latest track shows the eye coming up on Panama City. Of course, that could change. This morning the track was almost on Gulf Shores, so who knows. I'm in central Alabama, so we'll pretty much just have tropical storm force winds (or cat. 1 winds, depends on it strength and where it comes on shore). With New Orleans being below sea level, I sure hope they don't get it.
Take care everyone on the Gulf. :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom