The Official Hurricane Frances thread...

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
That's just crazy.... Hope everyone stays safe! I think I'd be heading for higher ground if I were a FL resident, but that's just me being 1600 miles away. :)

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Atlantic Tropical Storm
Hurricane Frances Intermediate Advisory Number 39a

Issued at: 1:45 PM EDT 9/3/04 (gateway).

Frances relentlessly lashing central and western bahamas, slowly heading for Florida,

A hurricane warning is in effect for the east coast of Florida from Florida city northward to flagler beach, including lake okeechobee. A hurricane warning also remains in effect for the central and northwestern bahamas.

A tropical storm warning remains in effect for the middle and upper florida keys from south of Florida city southward to the seven mile bridge, including Florida bay.

A hurricane warning means that hurricane conditions are expected within the warning area within the next 24 hours. Preparations to protect life and property should be rushed to completion.

A hurricane watch is in effect from north of flagler beach northward to fernandina beach.

At 2 pm edt, 1800z, the center of hurricane frances was located by surface observations from the bahamas and a reconnaissance plane near latitude 25.7 north, longitude 77.2 west, very near the southern tip of great abaco in the bahamas and 200 miles east- southeast of the Florida lower east coast.

Frances is now moving toward the west-northwest near 9 mph, 15 km/hr. A west-northwest to northwestward motion with some decrease in forward speed is expected during the next 24 hours. On this track, the core of hurricane frances will continue to move near or over the northwestern bahamas today.

Maximum sustained winds are near 115 mph, 185 km/hr, with higher gusts. Some fluctuations in intensity are forecast during the next 24 hours.

Hurricane force winds extend outward up to 85 miles, 140 km, from the center, and tropical storm force winds extend outward up to 185 miles, 295 km. Nassau in the bahamas has been experiencing gusts to hurricane force for the past several hours with a peak of 84 mph, 141 km/hr, at noon.

Latest minimum central pressure reproted by an air force plane was 961 mb, 28.38 inches.

Storm surge flooding of 6 to 14 feet above normal tide levels, along with large and dangerous battering waves, can be expected near the eye of frances on the west side of eleuthera island, and on the north side of grand bahama island. Storm surge flooding of 4 to 6 feet above normal tide levels can be expected on the west side of the other islands of the bahamas. Coastal storm surge flooding of 5 to 10 feet above normal tide levels, along with large and dangerous battering waves, can be expected near and to the north of where the center makes landfall in Florida.

Rainfall amounts of 7 to 12 inches, locally as high as 20 inches, are possible in association with frances.

Swells generated by frances will be affecting portions of the southeastern coast of the united states. These swells could cause dangerous surf and rip currents.

Repeating the 2 pm edt position, 25.7 n, 77.2 w. Movement toward, west-northwest near 9 mph. Maximum sustained winds, 115 mph. Minimum central pressure, 961 mb.

For storm information specific to your area, please monitor products issued by your local weather office.

The next advisory will be issued by the national hurricane center at 5 pm edt.

barnum42

HauntedPirate said:
That's just crazy.... Hope everyone stays safe! I think I'd be heading for higher ground if I were a FL resident, but that's just me being 1600 miles away. :)
Unfortunately Florida has all the geographic features of a pool table.

Stay safe folks!

WigglyWiggins

Hi all..
this is a sad post for me! i wasmeant to fly to florida this morning with virgin atlantic for two weeks at the world. been lookin forward to it for a year! i live in uk so its a major deal. virgin cancelled our holiday last night, we were gonna be staying at cbr (first time on property). hey ho. anyway...we are going to come in june next year instead...annoying but, sometimes thats the way the cookie crumbles! anyway, our hopes and prayers with those in florida. stay safe. oh my dad jsut got off the phone with virgin and wer going to new york and san fran cisco on sunday instead. anwya i appreciate i am one of many people dissapointed, but my diasspointment in no way compares tothe worry of residents and holiday makers currently in florida. will be watching the news and thinking of you.

Danrol388

Slowly starting to feel it

Its 2:16 here in Miami now and the winds are starting to pick up. We are averaging 25-30 MPH winds here now; this is just a sample of what’s to come. The rain comes and goes as each of the Hurricanes outer bands pass through. Tonight and Tomorrow Morning is when it should be the worst. I will keep u updated as much as I can if we don’t lose power but I have a feeling we will here in Miami, we lose power if you sneeze too hard so this should knock us out for a bit.

By the way I just heard unfortunate news. Hurricane Frances first fatality has occurred in the Bahamas where an 18 year old male was electrocuted while working with a Generator. I believe this was in Paradise Island. :( Hopefully this number doesn’t grow much more.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
030853W5.gif

Tim G

<TABLE borderColor=#000000 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="98%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TD bgColor=#ff0000><TABLE width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=large>STORM STATUS</TD><TD class=small align=right>September 3, 1:45 PM EDT</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#cccccc><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="95%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2>Name: Hurricane Frances</TD></TR><TR><TD class=small vAlign=top>Location: , Very Near The Southern Tip of Great Abaco In The Bahamas And 200 Miles East- Southeast Of The Florida Lower East Coast.
Lat/Long: 25.7N, 77.2W
Max Winds: 115 mph
Category: 3
</TD><TD class=small vAlign=top noWrap>Heading: West-Northwest
Speed: 9 mph
Pressure: 28.38 inches
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=small align=middle colSpan=2></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
2055Frances-11-med.gif

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
We're starting to get slapped with the feeder bands....the wind is starting to get furious and the skies are getting dark. It's also raining hard. Trees are moving back and forth....hopefully we won't have any come down.

I have already started to get photos and have taken some video. I'm going to upload those after the storm is gone for good, possibly tomorrow night (if we have power) or Sunday. I still hope we don't lose power today.

WDWScottieBoy

Hope everyone is staying safe as the outer bands are reaching landfall. As far as Ivan goes, those of you who claimed to want to fly out, my house is always open for fellow Disney freak like me and we've got plenty of bedrooms and bathrooms for all! STAY SAFE and keep us updated!

dhall

(I know it says 'Just Joined' in my profile, but I've lurked on this board (and other disney boards) for several years)

The first real feeder slipped through southern Palm Beach County a few hours ago. We didn't get any real rain out of it and the winds were only in th 25-30 mph range. We had about three hours of spectacular florida weather (the good kind) and then the next feeder started up about 3:00 (within the last 30 minutes). Right now, I can hear the wind and rain through my steel shutters, and according to the weather, the winds are about 50 mph bursts.

I was supposed to be driving up to orlando about now for my first visit in three years (after having been a 4-5 visit/year regular for several years). We'll be up in a few weeks.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Possible Path Keeps Frances Offshore, Growing Again
Tropical Prediction Center Projects Saturday Landfall

POSTED: 3:01 pm EDT September 3, 2004
UPDATED: 3:59 pm EDT September 3, 2004

The Tropical Prediction Center is still projecting a Saturday landfall but another model shows the storm staying offshore and growing in strength this weekend, according to Local 6 News meteorologist Tom Sorrells.

At 2 p.m. EDT, Hurricane Frances was lashing the central and western Bahamas and was centered about 200 miles east-southeast of West Palm Beach as it continued to approach Florida.

The Hurricane Center's path has the storm making landfall near Vero Beach, Fla., Saturday night and then traveling as a tropical storm into the Orlando area, Sorrells said.

Friday afternoon, the storm was moving northwest near 9 mph, and forecasters said the storm's forward speed could slow even further before it makes landfall.

"This thing has gone to a screeching halt," Sorrells said.

Although the Tropical Prediction Center believes the storm may hit land Saturday, a Local 6 News VIPIR forecast model (pictured, right) continues to show another path that moves the storm along the coast.

VIPIR shows a path off the shoreline and the storm strengthening into a possible Category 4 Sunday, according to Sorrells.

If the storm stays off Central Florida, the area is still looking at a major rain event, Sorrells said.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Lynx is suspending bus service at the end of operations Friday and through at least the weekend.

Lynx officials will assess the situation after Hurricane Frances passes before deciding scheduling of buses for next week.

Access Lynx van service for disabled riders also will be suspended through the weekend.

Bus riders can contact Lynx at 407-841-LYNX (5969) to receive updates. Access Lynx customers can get updates by calling 407-423-TRIP (8747).

Osceola County reports and services

Open shelters: Harmony High School, 3601 Arthur J. Gallagher Blvd., St. Cloud; Discovery Middle School, 5350 San Miguel Road, Kissimmee; Kissimmee Middle School, 2410 Dyer Blvd., Kissimmee; Narcoossee Community School, 2700 Narcoossee Road, St. Cloud; Central Avenue Elementary School, 500 W. Columbia Ave., Kissimmee; Reedy Creek Elementary School, 5100 Eagles Trail, Kissimmee; Kenansville Community Center, 1150 S. Canoe Creek Road, Kenansville; St. Cloud Senior Center (special-needs shelter) 3101 17th St.

Residents should bring bedding (pillows, blankets or sleeping bags), medication and things to make them comfortable, such as coloring books, quiet games, reading material and a battery-powered radio. Residents can't bring pets to the shelters. Animal Control will not transport pets from shelters to the Animal Control Shelter because it is at capacity.

Sandbags: St. Cloud, City Vehicle Maintenance Building, 2901 17th St., across from St. Cloud Hospital. Each resident is limited to 12 sandbags per household today and you must be a St. Cloud resident. Kissimmee, Public Works service center, 2201 Mabbette St., just behind the YMCA off Thacker Avenue. Residents may pick up 12 sandbags per household until noon today and must have proof of Kissimmee residency.

Help-line numbers: The Osceola County recorded update line is 407-343-6942 and the live update line is 407-343-4111. The Kissimmee information line is 407-847-2821. The St. Cloud information line is 407-957-7161. To report power outages, call Kissimmee Utility Authority at 407-933-7777 or Orlando Utilities Commission at 407-823-9150.

Evacuation routes/orders: Voluntary evacuation of residents in low-lying areas and in mobile homes starting at 8 a.m. today. No mandatory evacuations are anticipated for now.

What's closed: Osceola County government, schools, St. Cloud City Hall, Kissimmee City Hall and the courthouse are closed today. All Osceola County school district athletic events are postponed. Stetson University's Celebration campus is closed through Tuesday. Classes have been canceled today at Valencia Community College.

A curfew starts at midnight today until dawn Saturday.

Rebecca Panoff of the Sentinel staff compiled this report.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Atlantic Tropical Storm
Hurricane Frances Advisory Number 40

Issued at: 4:41 PM EDT 9/3/04 (gateway).

Outer squalls of dangerous hurricane frances moving over the florida east coast, weather should begin to deteriorate gradually,

A hurricane warning is in effect for the east coast of Florida from Florida city northward to flagler beach, including lake okeechobee. A hurricane warning also remains in effect for the northwestern bahamas.

A hurricane warning means that hurricane conditions are expected within the warning area within the next 24 hours. Preparations to protect life and property should be rushed to completion.

At 5 pm edt, 2100z, a tropical storm warning has been issued from north of flagler beach northward to fernandina beach. A hurricane watch and a tropical storm warning are now in effect from north of flagler beach northward to fernandina beach.

A tropical storm warning remains in effect for the middle and upper florida keys from south of Florida city southward to the seven mile bridge, including Florida bay.

At 5 pm edt, 2100z, the hurricane warning for the central bahamas has been discontinued.

At 5 pm edt, 2100z, the center of hurricane frances was located near latitude 25.9 north, longitude 77.5 west or about 90 miles, 145 km, east-southeast of freeport grand bahama island and 200 miles east-southeast of the Florida lower east coast.

Frances has been wobbeling but in general is moving toward the west-northwest near 8 mph, 13 km/hr. A west-northwest to northwestward motion with some decrease in forward speed is expected during the next 24 hours. On this track, the core of hurricane frances will continue to move near or over the northwestern bahamas today and will be near the Florida coast on saturday.

Maximum sustained winds are near 115 mph, 185 km/hr, with higher gusts. Some fluctuations in intensity are forecast during the next 24 hours.

Hurricane force winds extend outward up to 85 miles, 140 km, from the center, and tropical storm force winds extend outward up to 185 miles, 295 km.

Minimum central pressure reported by a hurricane hunter plane was 959 mb, 28.32 inches.

Storm surge flooding of 6 to 14 feet abover normal tide levels, along with dangerous battering waves, can be expected near the eye of frances on the north side of grand bahama island. Storm surge flooding of 4 to 6 feet above normal tide levels can be expected on the west side of the other islands of the bahamas. Coastal storm surge flooding of 4 to 5 feet above normal tide levels, along with large and dangerous battering waves, can be expected near and to the north of where the center makes landfall in Florida. Storm surge flooding of 6 feet above normal lake water level is expected in lake okeechobee.

Rainfall amounts of 7 to 12 inches, locally as high as 20 inches, are possible in association with frances.

Swells generated by frances will be affecting portions of the southeastern coast of the united states. These swells could cause dangerous surf and rip currents.

Repeating the 5 pm edt position, 25.9 n, 77.5 w. Movement toward, west-northwest near 8 mph. Maximum sustained winds, 115 mph. Minimum central pressure, 959 mb.

For storm information specific to your area, please monitor products issued by your local weather office.

An intermediate advisory will be issued by the national hurricane center at 8 pm edt followed by the next complete advisory at 11 pm edt.

prberk

NemoRocks78 said:
Possible Path Keeps Frances Offshore, Growing Again
Tropical Prediction Center Projects Saturday Landfall

POSTED: 3:01 pm EDT September 3, 2004
UPDATED: 3:59 pm EDT September 3, 2004

The Hurricane Center's path has the storm making landfall near Vero Beach, Fla., Saturday night and then traveling as a tropical storm into the Orlando area, Sorrells said.

Has anyone heard any news about Disney's Vero Beach resort? Is it closed, or taking in evacuees? Is all of Vero Beach evacuated?

Figment1986

oh no.... i cant see my house again... that first s is over me... darn it...

looks like i cannot do school work.

(I really wanted to actually work on my webclass and get it finnished with too)

prberk

Do we have a comprehensive list of the locals that post here, and where they have gone (or will go) to wait out the storm?

I know MKT said that he was going to the Wilderness Lodge.

Perhaps we can start this list, and then continue to add to it; then, after the storm, we will have a place to start for the "heard from" list. We could check each off (or add to the list) as we hear from them to know that they are safe.

Just an idea.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
prberk said:
Has anyone heard any news about Disney's Vero Beach resort? Is it closed, or taking in evacuees? Is all of Vero Beach evacuated?

If I am not mistaken, all guests from the Vero Beach Resort were moved to WDW hotels.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom