THE (new) LAND - Wanna tour it? Well step right in...

TTATraveler

After looking at the additional photos here and at D-Troops, I must say that WDI did an excellent job on The Land. The whole pavillion looks great, more modern and bright. It looks like crowd control may be better now on the 1st floor with the pathways and designated seating areas. Eventhough there is no fountain, I think everything looks great. I can't wait to see The Land in person.

chucknstuff said:
cccc.jpg

All shall be revealed...

The LADDER is in the land (look in the top left of the picture)

ALL HAIL THE LADDER...THE MOST SACRED OBJECT IN WDW.

All Hail The Sacred Ladder!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Well.. first of all, thanks to Grizz, his crew and his contacts for this much anticipated update. Thankfully the Symbiosis plaque has remained, but its interesting to see the entrance dome missing; an idea to keep the canopy relatively clear during a storm? It used to be a real bottleneck with sheltering guests, this may move them inside more.

The interior does look stunning - I`m not sure about the Soarin` colours on the ceiling and banners, but at least the balloons have reclaimed their place. If only the industrial looking railings had a top rail of light wood to break up the metalic look - this looks more industrial than earthy.

Will the seating be enough? From the pictures, even with the fountain missing (sadly) there actually seems less actual accommodation for eating guests in the 4 seating areas than before. I`m sure I`m wrong with this (they wouldn`t have lowered capacity surely?)

One thing I`m really pleased to see is the interior main Soarin` logo isn`t too prominent - it does the job nicely without shouting across the entire pavilion.

This has really given hope and inspiration for the WoL and UoE rehabs!

Pongo

For some reason, the new sign out front REALLY appeals to me. I like it.

Thanks for the great pictures, Grizz. It's probably 67234883 times better in person.

jcraycraft

Grizz thanks for the great photos!!! :wave: I am very happy with the look as far as I can tell from the photos. Looks like that put a decent effort into redoing the LAND. Looks clean and bright!! Cant wait to see it in person…. Going to be at WDW for 2 weeks in June. :sohappy:

maelstrom

I'll start off by saying something nice: the outside looks really, really great. It kept with the theme of The Land (minus that unsightly Soarin' sign), and even expanded on it from the previous design.

That's pretty much where my compliments stop.

My first reaction (after OMG ?!) was, "this looks like a museum". My next reaction was, "this looks like the unholy love child of a museum and an airport". Where is the land inside of The Land? *looks outside her window* Nope, the land outside of my house is not sterile white and metal. I see brown earth, evergreen trees, new spring foliage beginning to blossom; lots of green bushiness. Someone must have stolen the land from The Land. Should we call the police? The story of the land is not being told throughout most of the interior of the pavilion. The return of the balloons are a good thing; they symbolize the seasons. The idea of the seating areas being themed to the seasons is a good enough idea, but I think it could have been executed differently. Oh, this colour scheme. What about earthtones? What is with the sterile white? Oh, that's right, this isn't The Land anymore, it's The Airport. If I wanted to visit an airport, I'd just drive down to Newburgh and save myself the $402 on an AP. Soarin' does not belong in The Land. Do they even care, anymore, about the interaction between a pavilion's name, its meaning, the attractions within, its message, or anything like that? Apparently not. Soarin' would have better been suited in the Test Track pavilion; it could have become a pavilion dedicated to motion, like how it used to be. And this travel agency. Perhaps someone could explain to me the connection between a travel agency and symbiosis. Have I missed where man interacts with nature inside of a travel agency? Oh, that's right, it doesn't. It's just there to put an inappropriately themed ride inside a pavilion that is supposed to be about the land.

Don't get me wrong. I'm sure I will love Soarin'; it looks like a fun ride. But I think it should have been placed elsewhere. The theming ideas for Soarin' are great. Travel agency, great. Travel agency in The Land, bad. The Land now feels like a congested airport. The queue for Soarin' will extend to the exterior of the pavilion on peak days, based on what CMs have said. This will cause backups on the ramps, leading to even more frenzy. The frantic feeling of the airport fits in with the lines, but not the theme of a serene land that was depicted in the version we had before. The peaceful and serene feeling of The Land is gone. There is no more "land" in The Land. They killed The Land. The Land is dead.

General Grizz

Original Poster
maelstrom said:
I'll start off by saying something nice: the outside looks really, really great. It kept with the theme of The Land (minus that unsightly Soarin' sign), and even expanded on it from the previous design.

That's pretty much where my compliments stop.

My first reaction (after OMG ?!) was, "this looks like a museum". My next reaction was, "this looks like the unholy love child of a museum and an airport". Where is the land inside of The Land? *looks outside her window* Nope, the land outside of my house is not sterile white and metal. I see brown earth, evergreen trees, new spring foliage beginning to blossom; lots of green bushiness. Someone must have stolen the land from The Land. Should we call the police? The story of the land is not being told throughout most of the interior of the pavilion. The return of the balloons are a good thing; they symbolize the seasons. The idea of the seating areas being themed to the seasons is a good enough idea, but I think it could have been executed differently. Oh, this colour scheme. What about earthtones? What is with the sterile white? Oh, that's right, this isn't The Land anymore, it's The Airport. If I wanted to visit an airport, I'd just drive down to Newburgh and save myself the $402 on an AP. Soarin' does not belong in The Land. Do they even care, anymore, about the interaction between a pavilion's name, its meaning, the attractions within, its message, or anything like that? Apparently not. Soarin' would have better been suited in the Test Track pavilion; it could have become a pavilion dedicated to motion, like how it used to be. And this travel agency. Perhaps someone could explain to me the connection between a travel agency and symbiosis. Have I missed where man interacts with nature inside of a travel agency? Oh, that's right, it doesn't. It's just there to put an inappropriately themed ride inside a pavilion that is supposed to be about the land.

Don't get me wrong. I'm sure I will love Soarin'; it looks like a fun ride. But I think it should have been placed elsewhere. The theming ideas for Soarin' are great. Travel agency, great. Travel agency in The Land, bad. The Land now feels like a congested airport. The queue for Soarin' will extend to the exterior of the pavilion on peak days, based on what CMs have said. This will cause backups on the ramps, leading to even more frenzy. The frantic feeling of the airport fits in with the lines, but not the theme of a serene land that was depicted in the version we had before. The peaceful and serene feeling of The Land is gone. There is no more "land" in The Land. They killed The Land. The Land is dead.
Wow... *gives you a fan!* ;)

You brought up an amazing point, maelstrom: LOCATION. We all know that The Land was pretty much the last "peaceful" pavilion where guests could sit down and get their ice cream and stare at peaceful eye candy around the pavilion. With the new crowds, that could be hardly possible... we shall see!

I agree that Soarin' fits in Test Track. The Motion pavilion is based on transportation, getting place. "From here to there, for every need and every care," according to the World of Motion. A Travel Agency would have fit well! At least more than it does in the current "Behind the Seeds" entrance.

Now if only Disney thought ahead when working with Mission Space (which ALSO deals with travel!). They had the chance to move it more to the left or right... but opted not to. . . which is a shame.

Land was #2 attendance this past Decemeber based on food... I have a feeling getting into the building (or at least the downstairs) will be a nightmare.

RSoxNo1

Does anyone know the guest capacity per hour for Soarin'? I think I saw on the site that it was 87 guests per show, 10 minutes in and out. Are their only two screens? If that's the case, Soarin's capacity will be extremely low (1044 per hour). If I'm not mistaken that's below Test Track's capacity.

dxwwf3

General Grizz said:
Land was #2 attendance this past Decemeber based on food... I have a feeling getting into the building (or at least the downstairs) will be a nightmare.

That is a very good point. I'm seriously hoping there is not too much trouble getting in the pavilion during busy times. That can frustrate alot of guests easily. Having to wait to get in the pavilion and then wait to see the attractions.

The more I think about the changes to the pavilion it makes me wonder: If The Land still had good attendence, then why was all this time and money spent on changing this pavilion when you've got The Living Seas and Wonders of Life that desperately need the money and attention more? I'm hoping the reason is that there is already money set aside to do those projects. But if Wonders of Life just sits there for 4 or 5 years closed up and the main reason is due to lack of funding, then I would say there is a problem with this Land changeover. I guess I'm hoping that Nestle spent a little bit of green on this.

maxime29

Premium Member
marni1971 said:
Will the seating be enough? From the pictures, even with the fountain missing (sadly) there actually seems less actual accommodation for eating guests in the 4 seating areas than before. I`m sure I`m wrong with this (they wouldn`t have lowered capacity surely?)

Exactly my thoughts. From the current photos, it looks like there is more clutter at ground level than before. Maybe some different photos of a wider angle would help bring this perspective in place?

I can say that I ate at the Sunshine Tree Terrace the last day it was open. I should have asked if I could keep the tray :D

General Grizz

Original Poster
maxime29 said:
Exactly my thoughts. From the current photos, it looks like there is more clutter at ground level than before. Maybe some different photos of a wider angle would help bring this perspective in place?

I can say that I ate at the Sunshine Tree Terrace the last day it was open. I should have asked if I could keep the tray :D
*coughgagsneeze*Sunshine Season Food Fair*gagsneezecough*

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom