THE (new) LAND - Wanna tour it? Well step right in...

matt88mph

I think it looks nice. It could use just a little splash of color. When I get back down there in '06, I'll hopefully be able to see this for myself.

AdLibSean

General Grizz said:
The design fits well in an airport. The design is cool.

I think the placement is flawed, however.

Hey Grizz, let me add my thanks to the already many thanks you've received. I'd be interested to get your take on why you think the placement is flawed. Not that I disagree...just interested. :wave:

stitch82

does anyone know the approximate guest capacity of the q line for soarin'? that could make a huge difference on pavillion crowding.

General Grizz

Original Poster
AdLibSean said:
Hey Grizz, let me add my thanks to the already many thanks you've received. I'd be interested to get your take on why you think the placement is flawed. Not that I disagree...just interested. :wave:
That is a REALLY complex answer, Sean, and the reason I haven't put it out there yet is because there's so much to discuss. Ironically, it's the mixture of two KINDS of good that ultimately make the Land flawed!

I'm teaming up with Captain Buzzy to express our opinions in the best way possible. . . so Monday morning, I'll paste the article describing my sentiment, and I'll also link to an article page that includes photos.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
General Grizz said:
I agree that Soarin' fits in Test Track. The Motion pavilion is based on transportation, getting place. "From here to there, for every need and every care," according to the World of Motion. .

On that basis would you put Living with the Land in the motion pavilion aswell, since it involves a boat (transporation)?

To me Soarin' fits perfectly in the Land. Forget the ride system, Soarin' is about giving guests a unique way to experience the Land. There arent many people who get to handglide over such spectacular landscapes. Soarin' gives people that chance, and does it very well indeed.

Legacy

As one of the people who was looking forward to this redesign, I gotta say that I am disappointed with it.

It just doesn't feel right. The brighter colors, the hard lines... it just doesn't work. The land, and Soarin' as well, should have maintained an organic, muted feel. A travel agency/airport theme could have still worked with muted tones. Browns, greys, greens, a little blue and red for color would have been beautiful and still maintined the integrity of the pavillion. However, the bright colors and modern, abstract aesthetic makes the entire thing feel forced and hokey. It looks like a mall. And not a good mall at that.

I hope it can hold the crowds.

General Grizz

Original Poster
wdwmagic said:
On that basis would you put Living with the Land in the motion pavilion aswell, since it involves a boat (transporation)?

To me Soarin' fits perfectly in the Land. Forget the ride system, Soarin' is about giving guests a unique way to experience the Land. There arent many people who get to handglide over such spectacular landscapes. Soarin' gives people that chance, and does it very well indeed.
Steve, I meant that the Travel Agency theming fits more in a pavilion that celebrates travel and transportation. The airport/travel agency idea was brought to The Land, but there is not much in an airport theme that contributes to the themes behind the Land: man's interaction with nature.

I agree that Soarin' could fit VERY well in the Land, but it seems as though the bottom level of the pavilion is now an airport terminal (or it is at least themed to one). Soarin' has always been advertised as "Take flight," which has very much to do with motion and travel. If it did not require such a focus on transportation and was more deeply embedded in the themes of the Land (so that the entire interior of The Land didn't have to accommodate it), then I would agree: it would be more fitting in the Land than in a motion pavilion.

That being said, Living with the Land doesn't belong in Test Track or a motion pavilion as it does not celebrate (nor is themed about) motion: it's themed about man's interaction with nature.

(Psst, Legacy.. are we agreeing on something for the first time? :lol: )

askmike1

1) I completely agree with Steve. Whether your watching a movie about 'The Land', taking a boat ride to learn about 'The Land' or flying above the diversity of 'The Land', you are still dealing with The Land. Although the ride part of Soarin' has to do with flying, the story of Soarin has entirely to do with showing us the different types of land in the world.

2) Everyone has to remember that the land is not scheduled to open for another 10-15 days. The tables are not in yet, and I'm sure a bunch of other things have not been completed yet. How can you say the Land feels empty when it really is [empty]. I think the design is great and the only part I see resembling a travel agency is the area right by Soarin'.

-Michael

General Grizz

Original Poster
And just for funsies...

attachment.php

:D

General Grizz

Original Poster
askmike1 said:
1) I completely agree with Steve. Whether your watching a movie about 'The Land', taking a boat ride to learn about 'The Land' or flying above the diversity of 'The Land', you are still dealing with The Land. Although the ride part of Soarin' has to do with flying, the story of Soarin has entirely to do with showing us the different types of land in the world.

I agree that the Soarin' concept fits in with the Land. But does this mean it is necessary to alter the other sections of The Land in order to fit it into a Travel Agency/Mall Food Court? You say that Soarin' fits in the Land, but does the resulting bottom level fit in? How, from details in the photos that you've seen, does the 'Seasons' new set up improve the setting and place it more into the scheme of man working with nature?

We will wait to see what happens in the next week, but it can't be anything drastically different. I truly hope SOME theming is put into Seasons, but I am not sure to what degree.

GymLeaderPhil

maelstrom said:
The Land now feels like a congested airport. The queue for Soarin' will extend to the exterior of the pavilion on peak days, based on what CMs have said. This will cause backups on the ramps, leading to even more frenzy. The frantic feeling of the airport fits in with the lines, but not the theme of a serene land that was depicted in the version we had before. The peaceful and serene feeling of The Land is gone. There is no more "land" in The Land. They killed The Land. The Land is dead.

There is plenty of queue space in Soarin'... I doubt that we will ever see it filled. The pictures do not do the queue space justice, because it's huge.

General Grizz

Original Poster
GymLeaderPhil said:
There is plenty of queue space in Soarin'... I doubt that we will ever see it filled. The pictures do not do the queue space justice, because it's huge.
It is huge, but even the CMs have said that the new railings outside of the Land were constructed in order to "ease guest flow into the pavilion..."

mcfly530

i donno, im not really feeling this. i liked the fountain, and i liked the blue color scheme. for some reason this just looks too cluttered and without any sort of order. I would have like a more natural look, not such a styrile look. either way, anything to bring a spark back into the areas of epcot is fine by me.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
General Grizz said:
Steve, I meant that the Travel Agency theming fits more in a pavilion that celebrates travel and transportation. The airport/travel agency idea was brought to The Land, but there is not much in an airport theme that contributes to the themes behind the Land: man's interaction with nature.

The airport-type area infront of the Soarin' queue fits perfectly the story though of flying over the Land, how else are you going to board some kind of flying machine? If I was to be picky, I could say that Living with the Land makes no sense, as the boarding area just seems to be a dock at the side of a restaurant. Soarin has gone beyond that by providing a themed entry and queue area, that helps to complete the story: Arrive at airport -> Pass through Airport -> Board flying machine -> Soar over the Land -> Appreciate the Land.

mickhyperion

Since the bulk of the discussion is happening in this thread, I'm going to repeat my comments from the other Land thread. Sorry for the redundancy.

General Grizz said:
Where can you see the STORY of the Land being improved?
The most obvious improvement to the story of The Land is the addition of Soarin’. Regardless of whether the attraction has been borrowed from California Adventure, movie and all, Soarin’ is a gorgeous flight over The Land, showing us vistas such as oceanscapes, mountains, rivers, crops, and civilization. It is a rich, aroma filled extension of the story being told in Living with the Land, providing an exhilarating interaction for the human passengers with nothing but the earth beneath them.

That they have chosen to lead guests into this experience through an airport themed extension of the Pavilion is clever and contemporary. The story it tells us is that through these portals, flight can give you views of The Land that you cannot see from the ground. Rather than take us on some sort of nostalgic trip through the past to theme this attraction, Disney has presented us with an opportunity available to all in the 21st century: a modern airport, inspiring young and old to seek out this connection with the earth and its atmosphere.

Is there anywhere where the story of the Land is NOT being told?
Not from the views provided so far. Along with the story that Soarin’ and its queue are presenting, the previous stories found inside Living with the Land, Circle of Life, the Garden Grill remain apparently. The rethemed balloons continue to tell us the story of the seasons, now with the addition of seasonally themed, vibrantly colored groundscapes below them in the newly configured seating areas. The new, as yet unopened Sunshine Season food court area is providing a new story as well, with new, fresher, and more internationally varied cuisine allowing the ingredients born from The Land to tell their own story through taste.

What was the biggest change, and was it for the best? In terms of beauty? In terms of storytelling or uniqueness?
Again, the biggest change is the addition of Soarin’ and yes, it is for the best as already described. The fountain is now gone, but the story of water has not been lost since it can be found nearby aboard the boats in Living with the Land. The other most significant and far reaching change is the overall redesign of the Pavilion’s color scheme and introduction of more contemporary materials and styles, from innovative metal trees to eye-popping patterns. The Land now stands unrivalled in beauty compared with Future World’s other Pavilions, offering new visual rhythms and a sense of grace unseen previously inside these walls.

Does the color scheme complement the Land?
It complements it, it matches it, and it contrasts it all at the same time. The white brings us the color of clouds, apple blossoms, and snow and a feeling of freshness. The seasonal colors on the main floor demonstrate the myriad of colors that swirl around us throughout each year. The bright yellow tapestries surrounding the brightly colored seasonal balloons are like the rays of the sun shining down on The Land below. Overall, the new color scheme brings a new burst of life and airy color to a previously dark, drab, cavernous space.

Point out new areas where we see man's interaction with nature highlighted.
Soarin’ stands as a testimony to man’s ability to connect with the earth and its atmosphere in new ways. The airport theme reminds us of how we can reach those heights in our everyday lives. The new Sunshine Season dining area will bring us a dramatically different selection of foods. There will be nothing fried, no burgers, and everything will be prepared fresh before your eyes, demonstrating in stark contrast to the previous menu how much smarter man has become about the foods we eat and the methods in which we cook them. Food grown right inside Living with the Land’s hydroponic gardens will provide a touchstone to the story told throughout the Pavilion.

This new era for The Land looks to be one of dynamic excitement, new experiences, and a furthering of the Pavilion’s story without diluting it in the least. The Land looks renewed and envigorated like a bountiful garden and is sure to inspire the imagination and the taste buds, while providing a highly repeatable destination for all to enjoy.

GymLeaderPhil

We're never going to have a peaceful Land pavilion again and I'm sorry to break everyone's hearts. What does one expect when they add an E-Ticket into the pavilion? Would you rather not have another E-Ticket at Epcot?

It seems to me that WDI went to great lengths to preserve portions of the original Land pavilion, but I refuse to think that the last color scheme would be any better. Seriously, the purples and blues?

And Seasons. The Sunshine Food Fair queues restricted families from trying different genres of food. I have no qualms with the current open air system.

You know, there is ALOT to be thankful for. I'm satisfied that WDI actually didn't destroy the pavilion and just build Soarin', like Mission: Space.

Scooter

mickhyperion said:
Since the bulk of the discussion is happening in this thread, I'm going to repeat my comments from the other Land thread. Sorry for the redundancy.

The most obvious improvement to the story of The Land is the addition of Soarin’. Regardless of whether the attraction has been borrowed from California Adventure, movie and all, Soarin’ is a gorgeous flight over The Land, showing us vistas such as oceanscapes, mountains, rivers, crops, and civilization. It is a rich, aroma filled extension of the story being told in Living with the Land, providing an exhilarating interaction for the human passengers with nothing but the earth beneath them.

That they have chosen to lead guests into this experience through an airport themed extension of the Pavilion is clever and contemporary. The story it tells us is that through these portals, flight can give you views of The Land that you cannot see from the ground. Rather than take us on some sort of nostalgic trip through the past to theme this attraction, Disney has presented us with an opportunity available to all in the 21st century: a modern airport, inspiring young and old to seek out this connection with the earth and its atmosphere.

Not from the views provided so far. Along with the story that Soarin’ and its queue are presenting, the previous stories found inside Living with the Land, Circle of Life, the Garden Grill remain apparently. The rethemed balloons continue to tell us the story of the seasons, now with the addition of seasonally themed, vibrantly colored groundscapes below them in the newly configured seating areas. The new, as yet unopened Sunshine Season food court area is providing a new story as well, with new, fresher, and more internationally varied cuisine allowing the ingredients born from The Land to tell their own story through taste.

Again, the biggest change is the addition of Soarin’ and yes, it is for the best as already described. The fountain is now gone, but the story of water has not been lost since it can be found nearby aboard the boats in Living with the Land. The other most significant and far reaching change is the overall redesign of the Pavilion’s color scheme and introduction of more contemporary materials and styles, from innovative metal trees to eye-popping patterns. The Land now stands unrivalled in beauty compared with Future World’s other Pavilions, offering new visual rhythms and a sense of grace unseen previously inside these walls.

It complements it, it matches it, and it contrasts it all at the same time. The white brings us the color of clouds, apple blossoms, and snow and a feeling of freshness. The seasonal colors on the main floor demonstrate the myriad of colors that swirl around us throughout each year. The bright yellow tapestries surrounding the brightly colored seasonal balloons are like the rays of the sun shining down on The Land below. Overall, the new color scheme brings a new burst of life and airy color to a previously dark, drab, cavernous space.

Soarin’ stands as a testimony to man’s ability to connect with the earth and its atmosphere in new ways. The airport theme reminds us of how we can reach those heights in our everyday lives. The new Sunshine Season dining area will bring us a dramatically different selection of foods. There will be nothing fried, no burgers, and everything will be prepared fresh before your eyes, demonstrating in stark contrast to the previous menu how much smarter man has become about the foods we eat and the methods in which we cook them. Food grown right inside Living with the Land’s hydroponic gardens will provide a touchstone to the story told throughout the Pavilion.

This new era for The Land looks to be one of dynamic excitement, new experiences, and a furthering of the Pavilion’s story without diluting it in the least. The Land looks renewed and envigorated like a bountiful garden and is sure to inspire the imagination and the taste buds, while providing a highly repeatable destination for all to enjoy.

This is a GREAT POST!
If Griz is The General...then YOU, my friend should be The Commander in Chief!! :sohappy:
You make some very good points!!

Laura

Premium Member
Hmmm....I'm kind of iffy about the new look. I am having a hard time judging it by the photos. I'm sure I'll like it better in person. I think my problem is I'm going to miss the sunflowers at my treasured Garden Grill. But I'm extremely happy that it is still there. :)

OmegaKnight

Soarin's queue can hold up to a 3 hour line. Even during the holidays, I seriously doubt it will get that high (of course I could be wrong.) I like The Land's new look. It livens it up a lot. The old design (at least in my opinion,) seemed kind of dark.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom