THE (new) LAND - Wanna tour it? Well step right in...

dxwwf3

How does the length of the queue compare to that of say Dueling Dragons. Does it take almost that long to walk to the boarding area on Soarin?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
dxwwf3 said:
How does the length of the queue compare to that of say Dueling Dragons. Does it take almost that long to walk to the boarding area on Soarin?

No its nothing like that. I would say it isnt that much more than say Pirates or Test Track. However, the Soarin' queue is pretty straight (not in zigzags or grids), meaning you cover a lot of straightline distance to get to the ride building.

dxwwf3

wdwmagic said:
No its nothing like that. I would say it isnt that much more than say Pirates or Test Track. However, the Soarin' queue is pretty straight (not in zigzags or grids), meaning you cover a lot of straightline distance to get to the ride building.

Oh ok, I was just checking there because that would take one heck of a queue to be as long as DD.

General Grizz

Original Poster
wdwmagic said:
Almost like Space Mountain....

CTXRover

I was curious as to what the Land looked before the early 90's rehab when the darker blues were added and the only pic I can find is this one at disneypix.com (http://www.disneypix.com/EPCOT/FutureWorld/1991a/FW1191-13.htm) From the looks of it, it looks like the original Land pavilion originally imagineered contained mostly white/beige walls. Almost as if the newer, brighter, more modern looking style is semi-reflective of the original look. Does anyone else have any pics from that time period to get a better idea? I'm just curious to see how the pavilion has changed through its various updates.

RSoxNo1

The new seating areas are interesting, I'm not sure what to make of them, but I can only assume they have increased capacity.

As for the appropriateness of Soarin'/Airport theming, how well did Food Rocks fit into "The Land"? Loosely or strongly, you could connect every attraction to a different pavilion, however since Soarin' celebrates the lush beauty of California I'd say it fits nicely. The queue area has panaromic shots of 5 different biomes (land types) which add to the Land theming, but the overall theming of the attraction deals more with the ride vehicle than the show itself. I really don't have a problem with this.

The outside railings were meant to ease traffic flow into the pavilion. Does that mean that their will be separate entrances on crowded days for those people that are just visiting the land to see Soarin'?

I mentioned this in the other Soarin' thread, but have yet to check for answers: From my understanding, the capacity for Soarin' isn't very high.

Epcot82Guy

I've been reserving judgment as of yet because I've been thinking about this all day. The Land is/was/might be my favorite pavilion. It is where I did my CP. It is what got me into Biology. It has a very special place in my heart.

Overall, I think the rehab did a great job. The mural tie ins are outstanding. However, it just looks lacking. Again, I will reserve judgment because this is not the finished product. Just some things I have noticed that just seem lacking for me...

1. The lack of any kick back to the past aside from the Symbiosis plaque. I would love to have seen the old logo worked in, even if a very subtle way. Make a smaller version on the symbiosis plaque. Add a trail of them down the ribbons on the north wall (which looks odd now, IMHO. Hoping they will be adding to that in some way).

2. The metal alone. I think it looks great, and the light trees are fantastic. However, I think it is TOO industrial for the symbiosis theme. Make the cut-outs in leaf or vine shapes. Add wooden accents. Do something to make the railing shape and feel organic. The trees shape is very organic. The railing is not.

3. The lack of a centralized focal point on the ground. The baloons are AWESOME. However, puting one season in the middle doesn't work. I originally thought the kitchen was going to be there, making it the focus. However, now it is ONE season. That just doesn't have the story. I think it needs a large sculpture or something to root the center of the pavilion. Now it is too amorphous and makes it look cluttered.

4. Perhaps my biggest gripe is the lack of subtlety that haunts every aspect of WDI as of late, IMHO. The stories of the original pavilions/renovations took some discovery to figure out. You couldn't just know that the baloons had images of the sun from around the world. The fountain's design was representative of leaf shapes. The murals represent the layers of soil. The umbrellas were lighted so that you were always eating under the sun in the Sunshine Seasons Food Fair. Things like that just seem to be missing. Disney was about details, IMHO, and everything is now blatant. It looks great, but it is superficial. There is little to discover or figure out. I would love to see little details that are worthy of a second look on your fourth visit. That seems to not be the case in this. It is what it is. That is beautiful, but it is, again, superficial

I am very much relieved from what it could have been. I just think it could have used a bit more development. Just my thoughts.

CTXRover

I've read elsewhere that tables, chairs and other cabinetry had been added since yesterday. According to one eye witness (and as I had hoped for) the table-tops are reflective of the specific season that each of the 4 dining sections represent. For instance, suns on the table-tops for the summer section, leaves on the table-tops for the autumn section, etc. As Grizz confirmed for me yesterday, the bright and bold colored carpeted seating sections are in fact a reflection of each of the 4 main seasons. The most prominent dark red one seen in most photos is the Fall section for instance. Little details like this will help solidify the new focus of the food court area from a once bustling Farmer's Market to one dedicated on providing the sights and even smells and tastes of the 4 main seasons that affect our landscapes throughout the year (which seems to me to be an upgrade to the focus being more on the "land" and less on the "food").

Did anybody here go today so they can confirm that and/or have pictures to show? Thanks in advance :)

Horizons1

CTXRover said:
I've read elsewhere that tables, chairs and other cabinetry had been added since yesterday. According to one eye witness (and as I had hoped for) the table-tops are reflective of the specific season that each of the 4 dining sections represent. For instance, suns on the table-tops for the summer section, leaves on the table-tops for the autumn section, etc. As Grizz confirmed for me yesterday, the bright and bold colored carpeted seating sections are in fact a reflection of each of the 4 main seasons. The most prominent dark red one seen in most photos is the Fall section for instance. Little details like this will help solidify the new focus of the food court area from a once bustling Farmer's Market to one dedicated on providing the sights and even smells and tastes of the 4 main seasons that affect our landscapes throughout the year (which seems to me to be an upgrade to the focus being more on the "land" and less on the "food").

Did anybody here go today so they can confirm that and/or have pictures to show? Thanks in advance :)

Yes the tables and chairs and things are in. Unfortunately I do not have pictures of them. I could only get close to the fall section and the tables do have leaves on them. So I suppose the others are themed just as you said. The tables are layed out along the side where the benches are (like booths) and then there are tables in the center of the sections too, with regular chairs. They fit quite a few tables into these sections but overall it looks like a mall food court. I really can not make a definite decision on how I like the new look of The Land. Its good yet bad at the same time. When I first entered I just thought it looked odd with all that metal for railings. It just doesnt mix with The Land. Looking down into the center you just dont get the same feeling anymore. In the old Land, when you looked down, you just got a feeling of symbosis from the fountain and the colors and the umbrellas and such. Now you look down and you get a feeling of a mall and those white things just stick out. Proably the worst part (to me) is the removal of The Land symbol. This could have easily been worked into the new design of The Land but no. Now when you look at where the symbol was, you just see, well, a white wall. So this just leaves 3 places in EPCOT where you can see the old symbols. Overall my feelings on the new design of The Land are mixed. I like some of it and other parts I dont. Soarin' was great though, I think I have a new favorite ride but the new design of The Land will take some getting used to, that is if I can ever get back into the pavilion again, all those crowds. (shudder)

DisneyJill

Forgive me if this has been answered, I read thru page 5 and skipped to the end. Did they replace the wood railings in the Living with the Land queue with metal rails as well? I like the "clean" look of the Land, but I don't think that I like these metal railings. Yet. Perhaps when I see it in person, I will like it more. I always liked the wood, it was simple and symbolic to me of a much earlier time where farming was the major industry. Anyhoo. Still wood in the Living with the Land queue or no? :)

Horizons1

I dont think they have but I could not tell for sure. They have it blocked off so you cant get anywhere near it. I hope they havent tho.

speck76

The pavilion looks nice. The tables were in place today in Seasons, which meakes the area look better. It looks like there are now a larger amount of tables than before.

The balloons look nice, and the yellow fabric is a lot brighter than the old fabric.

I really like what they have done with the place. I

AdLibSean

mcfly530 said:
i donno, im not really feeling this. i liked the fountain, and i liked the blue color scheme. for some reason this just looks too cluttered and without any sort of order. I would have like a more natural look, not such a styrile look. either way, anything to bring a spark back into the areas of epcot is fine by me.

See thats EXACTLY what came to mind when I saw those metal railings...blehhh- but I must say I'm impressed with the rest- at least from what I can tell from the photos. It does look like the natural feeling of the land seems gone.

dxwwf3

speck76 said:
The tables were in place today in Seasons, which meakes the area look better. It looks like there are now a larger amount of tables than before.

Well it's good to hear that there might be more seating now. But how do you think that this could effect crowd flow on the lower level? Could this create a big bottleneck in the whole pavilion?

speck76

dxwwf3 said:
Well it's good to hear that there might be more seating now. But how do you think that this could effect crowd flow on the lower level? Could this create a big bottleneck in the whole pavilion?

no....not likely the way it is done......the seating areas are all walled-in, which creates aisles...

plus, more seating now is also over in the far corner, near where teh cookie class thing is/was

dxwwf3

speck76 said:
no....not likely the way it is done......the seating areas are all walled-in, which creates aisles...

plus, more seating now is also over in the far corner, near where teh cookie class thing is/was

Oh ok that makes sense. And it is good to hear they have seating where the Kid's Cookie place was too. That was a good use of space there.

Bullredchaser

I'm really impressed with what I see.Its more beautiful then ever.The land always had a 70's feel to it and finaly looks like it belongs in the new Millenium.I'll be there next week and I cant wait to ride Soarin. If they would upgrade Wonders of Life and add 1 heck of an attraction there Epcot could be the King of the Parks.

colliera

Part 3 of the puzzle

Great phots Grizz! Thanks for the update.

I won't be able to see this in person until next month but my take on this based on the photos is they have completed the 3rd part of the puzzle. The Land, The Sea, and now The Air. Talk was always if you could fit an "Air" pavillion into the chain somehow. Pretty inventive to use an existing pavillion's building and it's rehab to feed into the new ride. Some might say cost cutting but it works for me.

My first reaction to the "tree" thingies was Space Mountain's metal palms. But once I got over trying to "place" them in a visual reference I already know and took a second look at them for the visual story they are trying to tell I thought clouds? No, wait! The look like sails. Sail planes, gliders. OK, now I get it. Nice way to feed the Soaring theme out into the area without being overpowering.

The seating "islands" do remind me of Pop Century's food court layout. I don't know that is a bad thing. Couple that with the reported long que and it's holding capacity and I think WDI might have been worried about backup into the food area. What a mess that would have been. A New E-Ticket ride drawing big crowds with it's line backing up into where people are trying to eat. Add a slow moving line if the ride turnover is limited and there you have our typical Disney family with kidos on sensory overload standing next to where you are trying to eat. I think protecting the dinning guests inside the walls of the islands was a good idea. Hopefully the "aisles" formed by the islands will channel the flow into Soaring well enough to keep the two groups of people moving without crossing each other at some point. Hard to tell without tables in the pictures to get an idea of what the scale of the areas really are.

I believe they have done some real thinking about this rehab and tried to plus the pallivilion without causing other problems. After putting a "blue whale" behind Canada and messing up the sight lines I would have been careful about my next step as well. (Hint, hint, some people say a "mountain" ride in Canada would mask that mistake very well. [Just in case WDI is reading.]

I love the old Epcot Center and The Land is certainly a part of that. As much as I sometimes hate change I do admit the only constant IS change. That said, I will still miss The Land's fountain. It's degree of coolness was only overshadowed by the Fountain of Nations behind SSE.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom