THE (new) LAND - Wanna tour it? Well step right in...

jmuboy

DXWWF3 - i understand it is tough to see a favorite ride/area change. but this is a positive one like you pointed out. To me, it looks like the new focus of the pavilion is more focused on the EARTH and its beauty and less on food / nutrition, while food/nutrition will still be addressed in the boat ride.

CTXRover

dxwwf3 said:
And the place looks totally naked without the fountain there.

Realizing that I'm only judging it on pictures now, I think that is the only real thing I'm sad to see not part of the "new" pavilion. The serene atmosphere something as simple as running water can create will be missed. But the brighter and more airy feel to the pavilion is very welcome in my opinion. And from the looks of it, creating the much needed central path through the seating areas is a necessity and the fountain was probably a necessary victim for that and to allow proper seating capacity.

I love the new look. It is very different. But its definetely a good different from the looks of it.

As an aside, I didn't notice them at first, but I really like the modern-style cloud-like lighting structures around the seating areas.

dxwwf3

jmuboy said:
DXWWF3 - i understand it is tough to see a favorite ride/area change. but this is a positive one like you pointed out. To me, it looks like the new focus of the pavilion is more focused on the EARTH and its beauty and less on food / nutrition, while food/nutrition will still be addressed in the boat ride.

Oh I'll get over it. As if you couldn't tell from my avatar or my signature, I've got much bigger fish to fry in the theme park sorrow department :lol:

Thank goodness they gave The Land a proper refurbishment. It's just going to take a LONG time to get used to this.

dxwwf3

CTXRover said:
As an aside, I didn't notice them at first, but I really like the modern-style cloud-like lighting structures around the seating areas.

Those are supposed to be clouds? I thought it was a tree. I'm not too wild about them, but I don't hate them.

CTXRover

jmuboy said:
To me, it looks like the new focus of the pavilion is more focused on the EARTH and its beauty and less on food / nutrition, while food/nutrition will still be addressed in the boat ride.

I always found the old food/nutrition part of the pavilion as not really fitting thematically with the idea of a pavilion about the LAND. Sure, we get food from the land and that's incredibly important as to how we "live" with the land, but I always thought the good nutrition thing would be more suitable for the (now semi-defunct) WOL pavilion. Soarin', with its great aerial views of the landscape and its beauty is a lot more appropriate for the pavilion and I agree it seems like it helps create a greater focus on the Earth and the land in general in the "new" pavilion. I really like that they took the opportunity when they added Soarin' to really go all out and re-freshen up the entire pavilion, for the most part. Its still got a classic Epcot vibe but with a very modern-style twist. I really like it, as I said above already ;)

CTXRover

dxwwf3 said:
Those are supposed to be clouds? I thought it was a tree. I'm not too wild about them, but I don't hate them.

They could be I guess. I didn't really pay attention to them when I looked at the pictures at first. When I went back for a second glance (I couldn't help myself :) ), my first thought was that they could be a modern, sort of "artsy" take on clouds, mianly because they were white and multi-layered. They could just be lighting structures with no real purpose too :lol:

dxwwf3

CTXRover said:
They could be I guess. I didn't really pay attention to them when I looked at the pictures at first. When I went back for a second glance (I couldn't help myself :lol: ) that was my first thought that they could be a modern-artsy take on clouds. They could just be lighting structures with no real purpose too :lol:

No I guess you're probably right. That's really the only thing that was added that I don't really like at all. Very minor complaint though. I'm still doing a double take looking at these pictures. I feel like the families on Extreme Makeover. "Is that really the Land?" :lol:

LSUxStitch

Awsome!! So much different than the layout of the ground floor of the land. I definitely won't miss that fountain because the cleanup around that area and water all over the carpet was too much, well for me at least. Looks like a place I won't dread to do custodial in now :)

BwanaBob

Just got back from 'the' experience first hand.

Woah! Was not expecting all that (IN PERSON for the first time!!) I didn't see the pics before I went.

All I can say is... I'm extremely dissapointed in seeing the old Sunshine Season Food Fair turned into something you have already seen at Pop Century or any other of the major 'food courts'. Basically, the same style menu screens, and fend-fer-yerself areas.

I also DO NOT think with as long a queue line there is, that they had to pull out the fountain and all the other stuff/seating as an excuse for masses of people coming to Soarin.

The ride? Awesome.

BwanaBob

BTW... I guess ALL of us local-nuts were there today!

I hooked-up w/ Rob and the Mrs. to ride...

KevinPage was there...but he had to split afterwards...

Walked past Patrick at the entrance to the pavillion... taking pics...

Busy day!

tirian

Not a character in sight.

:D

Avoiding their recent mistakes of slapping Disney characters onto everything, WDI seems to be allowing the Land pavilion to enjoy its own identity. Of course, the Garden Grill will once again host character meals; but that's far different from the Nemo-covered Living Seas pavilion. (Maybe it's not fair to use TLS as an example, since the overlay is actually quite tasteful.)

Maybe I'm the only person so far who likes the abstract trees. I think they nicely reflect Epcot's original abstract/futuristic architecture (e.g. the geodesic sphere WITHOUT the wand).

General Grizz

Original Poster
BwanaBob said:
Just got back from 'the' experience first hand.

Woah! Was not expecting all that (IN PERSON for the first time!!) I didn't see the pics before I went.

All I can say is... I'm extremely dissapointed in seeing the old Sunshine Season Food Fair turned into something you have already seen at Pop Century or any other of the major 'food courts'. Basically, the same style menu screens, and fend-fer-yerself areas.

I also DO NOT think with as long a queue line there is, that they had to pull out the fountain and all the other stuff/seating as an excuse for masses of people coming to Soarin.

The ride? Awesome.
I agree. The theming is horrible in this area. Airport or Land: They're opposites. Disney tried to do both, but it doesn't work.

Photos are almost ready!

CTXRover

General Grizz said:
I agree. The theming is horrible in this area. Airport or Land: They're opposites. Disney tried to do both, but it doesn't work.

Photos are almost ready!

I didn't even think this part looked like an airport at all, but I can see where someone could say that. From your pics and the ones at Laughingplace.com, it seems like a brighter, more modern, version of what was kind of there before. The fountain and the neat building facades for the food court are the major losses here, but the overall look and design just seems so nice. I can't wait to see it in person. I think they did a very nice job. Surely nowhere near the disaster that was worried about before. Looking forward to more of your pics.

General Grizz

Original Poster
exterioraf.jpg

landbackfa.jpg

landfountan.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom