The New Fantasyland

Figment632

This may have been imagined before but since the plans don't show the West side of FL with IASW and PPF, wouldn't it be cool if they put up a second castle wall separating those two rides from MP and Pinnochio's? That way when you walk out of the West wall you're transported into the fair? I think just having the one castle wall on the East side would look kinda strange. :shrug:

That would be great!

marsrunner

Critter Country is actually the American South. And it worked beautifully until Pooh arrived. Frontierland is the American West, and that's worked beautifully since 1955.

Frontierland 1955-2009 leads to "New Orleans Street", which is the Riverbelle Terrace facility that has been there since 1955. Riverbelle Terrace transitions to New Orleans Square, which was added in 1966 as the Queen City in the Jazz Age, and many consider New Orleans Square to be Imagineering at its finest. On the edge of New Orleans Square is Haunted Mansion, a Southern plantation home on the edge of town. And that transitions perfectly into the rural American South of Critter Country. Critter Country contains Splash Mountain, or "Georgia" as you put it, and Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes. Davy Crockett, as you remember from your history books and the famous song that plays on a loop in Disneyland, was "born on a mountaintop in Tennessee, greenest state in the land of the free". The Volunteer State of Tennessee is next to The Peach State of Georgia, both in real life geography, and at Disneyland.

But the whole Critter Country = American South thing fell apart in 2003 when Disneyland President Cynthia Harriss replaced the Country Bear Jamboree with a Winnie The Pooh ride. A British bear has nothing to do with the American South or Critter Country, no offense to our good friends from Britain. The good news is that about six months after Winnie The Pooh opened in '03, Cynthia was fired, er, "resigned effective immediately to spend more time with family". For the record, she was an unmarried woman with no children.

Cynthia Harriss did many bad things for Disneyland, shoehorning Winnie The Pooh into Critter Country was actually one of her lesser crimes. But there it is.

Not sure if I was unclear in my post, but I wanted to say that at Disneyland Splash fits perfectly where it is along with the other attractions except for Winnie the Pooh, obviously. Its just a very small land and there is no longer much of a coherent theme thanks to the shoehorning of Winnie the Pooh.
My Frontierland comment was about the WDW version of Splash. It doesn't fit where it is at WDW, but again, they tried somewhat and its such a wonderful attraction that I don't care.
Critter Country just isn't a very good name anymore. Yeah, Splash takes place in Georgia and the canoes in Tennessee, but now the theme seems to be some sort of fantastical woodsy animal theme.
But yeah, Frontierland to New Orleans Square (the most beautifully themed area in any American Magic Kingdom style park, in my opinion) to Splash to the Canoes works great. If only they'd left the Country Bears there!

Lee

Adventurer
Then where do you suggest they'd be? Beyond tracks? I doubt they would ever consider that.
Of course they would.

It's pretty well known that it's an expansion plot for AL.
Yep. We've been talking about it here for years. Especially since they did balloon tests over there a couple years ago.

As posted many times before, here are both AL expansion pads:
advpads.JPG

GothMickey

Nah....it would just take a really long queue (like Indy at DL) running along the eastern wall of Pirates.

The show building would be all the way in the back. The queue running along the wall of Pirates. But, where would the entrance to the queue be? There does not appear to be much room to construct a detailed facade to lure guests to the attraction.

Animaniac93-98

The show building would be all the way in the back. The queue running along the wall of Pirates. But, where would the entrance to the queue be? There does not appear to be much room to construct a detailed facade to lure guests to the attraction.

You just have to take a chunk out of JC like they did at DL.

EPCOT Explorer

Very interesting.
... father?

Haha! Sounds just like a little kid. "But all the other kids got better stuff for their birthdays!"
:rolleyes::shrug:

If it's true, it's true. The pother parks continue to get refurbs, lavish rides, and other plusses while we stagnate. Why should we not want something better?
Whether or not individuals think it's important, WDW's 40th is a milestone ... and Disney used to acknowledge them with year-long celebrations.

If Disney can have marketing campaigns from the Milennium to 100 Years of Walt The Dead Dude to Magical Gatherings to Happiest Celebration on Earth to The Two Years of Two Million Dreams But Mostly Free Crappy Pins and FastPasses to What Will You Celebrate? ... well, they can just as easily have marketing events of substance ... they blew off WDW's 30th and 35th Anniversaries ... they ignored EPCOT Center's 25th ... and even the lesser (but still should have had something) 10th of DAK and 20th of Studios.

So, I do think it would be unforgiveable if Disney didn't have a major event for the 40th with new entertainment, attractions, dining etc debutting ... a few pins, retro tees and a day-long fanboi event don't/won't count.

Forget about the every five-year milestones, TDL actually acknowledeges EVERY B-Day ... even this year for the 26th they had special merchandise, shows ... and oh yeah they opened a unique E-Ticket too.

WDW turns 40 on 10/1/11 and you better believe it is a huge milestone and should be acknowledged as such.
Well said, as usual.

You have no idea.

Off Topic Rant: So I just got back from Illuminations, and can I say I hate the new "Celebrate" spiel afterwards. Seriously, it made me sick, not to mention the crap "Celebrate You" song playing after "We Go On".:hurl:
I've seen that in vids, and it's infuriating.:brick:

How did the show run, though?

PhilharMagician

Here is an overlay done by the infamous Marni a few years ago when the rumors of Raging Spirits coming to Adventureland. As you can see with a little road relocation there is plenty of room.

imagineer boy

Great mockup, but that path back there is WAY too long in my opinion.

I agree, its too far out of the way and I think a lot of people would miss it. The attraction or its exterior must be visible from the main walkways of the parks so that it grabs interest.

I say put it in DHS right next to the Indiana Jones ride.

Thrill Seeker

I agree, its too far out of the way and I think a lot of people would miss it. The attraction or its exterior must be visible from the main walkways of the parks so that it grabs interest.

I say put it in DHS right next to the Indiana Jones ride.

It's kinda like how Dinosaur is pretty well hidden at AK.

Anyway, returning to Fantasyland. If this does get greenlighted soon, I wonder if we'll get our own version of the Blue Sky Cellar, perhaps on Main Street?

CaptainMichael

If it were in any other park, I'd say yes, but this is the Magic Kingdom. The guests will find it with no problem; especially, if it's on the cover of the map.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom