The New Fantasyland

cdunbar

And Cowboys in Tomorrowland.:rolleyes::lol:

I know he wanted a way for underground passage of characters, yes.

Exactly.
I don't think he had the exact plans like jt was saying, but I do know there were more than vague ideas. Weren't the plans for HoP around? All of LS in fact?:wave:
HoP? I'm not familiar with that one...:veryconfu

EPCOT Explorer

The first artwork I ever have seen for MK is from 1969. Possibly late '68.

While Walt certainly didn't 'not care' about MK it was viewed as a means to an end ... he didn't like repeating himself and he felt even back then that MK was largely a bigger DL-clone. From many Disney Legends, historians and Imagineers I've talked to, I've never gotten the sense that Walt had any real hand in MK beyond its location and the most basics ... it'll be like DL.

Indeed, it was Roy who pulled the idea for unique F-Land dark rides to go with what worked at DL. And it was Card Walker who killed WRE when the Arab oil embargo hit while folks wanted Pirates. So much of what would have made it much different left.
Ah, the first killing of WRE...:lol:

Any idea on the length of Pirates back then? I know it was always meant to be shorter....
I guess I'll be the one to say this first, so here goes...

Who cares? That was over 40 years ago. For a thread talking about expanding and bringing something new to the MK all you guys want to talk about is Walt's plans for the MK which may or may not exist. I like these plans better :ROFLOL:.
And some of us enjoy discussing WDW History.:wave:

jt04

Even if it was something in an old plan, wouldn't it still be new to us? I'd love to see if there were any old plans. If Walt had something up his sleeve that has just been lying dormant for all these years and they were to think about constructing his vision, I would feel better about WDW and would hope that meant they are getting back to Disney's roots.

Or am I just nuts? :shrug::confused:

Or you could be right and nuts. :p

jk :lol:

EPCOT Explorer

You mean Epcot-World and nonexistent plans for Disnelyland 2.0

They should make a third National Treasures movie with a Walt Disney mystery to find the missing Magic Kingdom concept art. How intense! :sohappy:
No, I mean the plans that were thought of, used and then changed.

WDW1974

Any idea on the length of Pirates back then? I know it was always meant to be shorter....

Pirates was built almost 100% as planned.

It was a rush job, but even though most folks (certainly this Spirit included) feel it is much inferior to every other version (I will take this opportunity to say I can't wait to ride DLP and DL's versions back to back this fall) Marc Davis has been said to actually prefer MK's version since he felt it got right to the meat of the story quickly.

Personally, I love the longer rides and build up ...

EPCOT Explorer

You kidding me? Just look around you? Pick up a WDW Book.:lol:

It was a rush job, but even though most folks (certainly this Spirit included) feel it is much inferior to every other version (I will take this opportunity to say I can't wait to ride DLP and DL's versions back to back this fall) Marc Davis has been said to actually prefer MK's version since he felt it got right to the meat of the story quickly.

That's interesting...Didn't know that about Mr. Davis.

techiegsy

I have to agree, going on pirates after seeing the DLP one, I kinda went, is that it?... But DLP is quite different in general, made for us Europeans...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom