The New Fantasyland

Animaniac93-98

Honestly, is the 40th that huge of a deal?

Besides being a multiple of 5, there is really nothing significant about it.

This seems like something the fans have deemed as wanting to happen. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I'm not sure the fan community isn't just setting themselves up for disappointment.

The number 40th by itself? No not really, but remember jakeman, this is Disney we're talking about. A company that pulled out all the stops to market the much more frivolous sounding 15th Anniversary at DLRP, and is going to hype Disneyland's 55th next year. The significance of the number is irrelevant to the overall marketing hype and WDW fans just want an anniversary celebration instead of a much more ludicrous made up excuse to get excited about something (What will you celebrate? Don't ask us ,were to lazy to think up something!). Given that Disneyland has done this every 5 years since 1980 and WDW has not since 1996, it would be a nice change and probably a more effective marketing tool for Disney.

In the end though, substantial new additions (in the parks) will always outweigh celebrations in terms of marketing appeal to the mass public and fans. However doing both substantial additions and celebrations did wonders for Disneyland for it's 50th and I doubt Disney wants to wait until WDW's 50th to see that kind of money come in.

EPCOT Explorer

The number 40th by itself? No not really, but remember jakeman, this is Disney we're talking about. A company that pulled out all the stops to market the much more frivolous sounding 15th Anniversary at DLRP, and is going to hype Disneyland's 55th next year. The significance of the number is irrelevant to the overall marketing hype and WDW fans just want an anniversary celebration instead of a much more ludicrous made up excuse to get excited about something (What will you celebrate? Don't ask us ,were to lazy to think up something!). Given that Disneyland has done this every 5 years since 1980 and WDW has not since 1996, it would be a nice change and probably a more effective marketing tool for Disney.

In the end though, substantial new additions (in the parks) will always outweigh celebrations in terms of marketing appeal to the mass public and fans. However doing both substantial additions and celebrations did wonders for Disneyland for it's 50th and I doubt Disney wants to wait until WDW's 50th to see that kind of money come in.
Heck, it worked wonders for WDW, too. We celebrated as well.

Well said!:wave:

jakeman

I understand everyone's point, but it brings me back to my original statement.

If this is a fan generated desire then the community may just be setting themselves up for failure and disappointment.

While 40 is a big number, it may not have the same recognition as 5, 10, 15, 25, 50...

I don't think it is a bad idea at all and it would be nice if they did something, but has there been any indication from Disney that they are planning on doing anything?

EPCOT Explorer

I understand everyone's point, but it brings me back to my original statement.

If this is a fan generated desire then the community may just be setting themselves up for failure and disappointment.

While 40 is a big number, it may not have the same recognition as 5, 10, 15, 25, 50...

I don't think it is a bad idea at all and it would be nice if they did something, but has there been any indication from Disney that they are planning on doing anything?

They did it in Disneyland...
DL_1995_01.jpg

And as for indications...Hopefully ST/MI will be announced in Oct. Hopefully something goes to EPCOT. Hopefully Jim McPhee's new position is for this...after all..."special events". Then there are the rumors of the RFID involvement. Even FL.:shrug:

Animaniac93-98

The last minute scramble to do something about the condition of MK? Reminds me of the work done in DLR just before their 50th.

Suddenly buildings all over the park are getting extensive fixing-up, plans for new attractions that a year ago would have seemed unlikely are now begin pushed, multiple attractions are getting minor to major fixing (from new paint on JC critters to HoP's redo) etc. It would seem odd for Disney to do something for nothing, and even odder for Disney to acknowledge the work begin done to fix something negative.

We may be setting ourselves up for disapointment, but the evidence is there to suggest that Disney is getting ready for something and the 40th just seems very logical at this point. We will find out in 2011.

Finally, IMO 40 > 5, 10, 15, but to each his own.

hpyhnt 1000

DL_1995_01.jpg

And as for indications...Hopefully ST/MI will be announced in Oct. Hopefully something goes to EPCOT. Hopefully Jim McPhee's new position is for this...after all..."special events". Then there are the rumors of the RFID involvement. Even FL.:shrug:

That 40th sign just exudes a 90s feel to it. :lol: Also, its remarkably similar to the current Islands of Adventure logo...

rshell68

you do realize that after the 8th movie comes out there will be no more new Potter material to keep the flames going. Yes, the flash is on it's way to being extinguished.

Just throwing something out here...but what if Ms. Rowling pulls a Star Wars (with the Episode 1-3 backstory to the original Star Wars) and does a pre-story to Harry? She could start with Harry's parents at Hogwarts...

Don't know just a way for her to keep Potter going and help Universal.

Anyway...enjoying the thread (even the bickering heehee)....what is the record for the longest thread??

JustInTime

Just throwing something out here...but what if Ms. Rowling pulls a Star Wars (with the Episode 1-3 backstory to the original Star Wars) and does a pre-story to Harry? She could start with Harry's parents at Hogwarts...

Anyway...enjoying the thread (even the bickering heehee)....what is the record for the longest thread??

She could do a series, on Lilly and James. It would be amazimg. But she wont. She has alredy wrote a prequal anyway. It was for charity. Kinda like Beedle Bard.

Brian_WDW74

She's already written an extremely short story for charity about James Potter and Sirius Black (which she ends with the sentence "From the prequel I am not working on- but it was fun! JK Rowling, 2008") so it's not totally out of the realm of possibility. And she's already said that she plans to release an encyclopedia of the Potterverse. So I doubt that Pottermania will be going away anytime soon.

magicmaya

DL_1995_01.jpg

we probably might get one of those blue and pink princess signs...:hurl:

jt04

Heh. Good news.:D
Honestly, that's really, really disappointing. Maybe I;m too impatient, but 5 years?! For some aesthetic work, Meet and Greets and one E Tic? In DCA they are getting the E Tic in 2 years.:shrug: To slow for me. Disney could speed it up....especially when they have a large anniversary to promote.

Not quite. One of the recent pressers said they have been working on WoC for several years. Also DCA's refurb has been priority 1 -theme park wise- since Iger took over. Now think about this. That project is at least 4 years old. The active contruction has been going on for two years. Carsland won't open until 2012 (almost another 3 years) and that will complete what is rumored to be only Phase 1! If there is a Phase 2, it will take at least 3 or 4 more years. Wow!!! :eek: And I think you know full well there is much more to the Florida project than the simplified description you are giving it.
The new Fantasyland at WDW is a bit different in that most of it will be built in what is currently backstage areas. However my personal opinion is it won't all be done in two years. It could be, but I would be suprised. Happy, but suprised. Real magic takes time.

It would interrupt the train station in TTF, I would think.

Not a big deal. And it didn't used to exist anyway. Well worth the temporary sacrafice to get what it appears we are getting. :sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom