The New Fantasyland

MousDad

This proposed new land seems to lend itself well to, and have a lot of potential for, that new interactive program that Al Lutz was talking about a while back.

EPCOT Explorer

They'll have to change the lyrics to the welcome show and trolley show... lol -

"a castle leads the entrance way to seven lands and more"
Heh! True.
Me too, but I could understand why someone might be disappointed that were getting Cinderella's house and not another dark ride.

The expansion should look very nice though, especially with all that water and landscaping.
Indeed. However, this could be just a rough draft...Perhaps it is a ride. We don't know yet.

Or......not.:lol:
:king:

I'm a little shocked.:D
I agree, the scale of this is amazing. And the trend is to move away from passive dark rides and towards more interactive attractions. This is covered in interactive stuff. Perfect for Kim Possible type technology and RFID potential. Truly living up to the "Fantasyland" name.

Indeed!:sohappy: RFID Central, methinks...There is a TON of opportunity here for it.

Hobnail Boot

Kinda odd that we are loosing a land...6 lands. Hmm. I don't mind, but this is very interesting.
I think that's what has me confused the most right now. From the look of things, the only thing left of ToonTown Fair will be the Barnstormer, but what land willl it be in? I know some people here have said that a new, better ToonTown is on the way, but until then the Barnstormer is going to be homeless it seems.

I for one am very excited about this if it's true. Even though we have only one actual ride in the plans, this really looks like the shot in the arm that Fantasyland needs. A couple of notes: is it me or does the queue for Pooh look different? It looks more outdoorsy now, maybe something more along the lines of Tokyo's facade? Also, Be Our Guest is huge, and has me really excited to eat there. From the shape of the dining area, anyone else think it may be themed to the ballroom from the movie? The area between Snow White and Pooh looks to have some changes coming as well. Right now we have the Friar's Nook, Mrs. Pott's, and the Seven Dwarf's Mine. The plans however have a thick black line, possibly indicating the edge of the walkway, and some scribble looking stuff from the Mine to Pooh. I'm not sure what that means for the area, but I hope it means that Snow White and Pooh are getting facade upgrades.

hoke2007

I'd be disappointed to see a)Mickey's house go; and b)Magic Carpets of Aladdin go. Is Aladdin for sure going to be converted into another Dumbo? One can hope not. Adventureland needs that attraction. I know most people in here don't like it, but I love it.

EPCOTPluto

SirNim: "Two words: Mildly Ambitious."

I usually think Magic Carpets is something around those lines. :lol: and SirNim, your avatars are always great! :)

Animaniac93-98

I for one am very excited about this if it's true. Even though we have only one actual ride in the plans, this really looks like the shot in the arm that Fantasyland needs. A couple of notes: is it me or does the queue for Pooh look different? It looks more outdoorsy now, maybe something more along the lines of Tokyo's facade? Also, Be Our Guest is huge, and has me really excited to eat there. From the shape of the dining area, anyone else think it may be themed to the ballroom from the movie? The area between Snow White and Pooh looks to have some changes coming as well. Right now we have the Friar's Nook, Mrs. Pott's, and the Seven Dwarf's Mine. The plans however have a thick black line, possibly indicating the edge of the walkway, and some scribble looking stuff from the Mine to Pooh. I'm not sure what that means for the area, but I hope it means that Snow White and Pooh are getting facade upgrades.

I noticed it too and it would be great if it were to happen.

I wouldn't be surprised to see everything west of the Carousel to stay the same in terms of look (maybe Pan would get re-done) but I think it would be nice to have a Medieval fair sub-area along with ones like the Beauty and the Beast village and Pooh wood for example.

Walter Yensid

Saw the plans and I must admit (if these plans are found to be true) that I am very happy. This really could be amazing.

Let's all be honest. MK will never have huge, thrilling rollercoasters like a Six Flags or Universal (SM is as far as they will go) or probably ever add a ride that is more for an adult than a kid. As Walt wanted, MK is for all ages, but truly geared around families. I think Disney is more than happy to have the kids from age 1 to 14 or so, then lose them to Uni for the more thrilling attractions from ages 15 to 30 and then get them back as soon as those kids have their own kids and have them from 30 to 100. Then, the cycle starts over.

The big thing I love about these plans is Disney would be going back to what it is second-to-none, which is theming. The current FL is really the weakest of the lands from a theming standpoint...it is sort of wide-open in some areas, bottlenecks around Dumbo, and just does not feel as immersive as Adventureland or Frontierland or certainly Main Street. Honestly, FL right now does not transport you anywhere like the other lands do or like DAK does or like DHS does in certain areas. This clearly has the castle wall acting as an entrance to the land (another thing it really lacks) to possibly work to 'transport' you. Each section of the land seems to be laid out to provide mini-lands for each movie/character.

Also, most importantly, it increases the space in the park dramatically, which will ease capacity problems. No matter how many of these end up meet-and-greets, we obviously know people do tend to go down to Disney with their kids :), so those people will be pulled to them and so on and so on.

So, if this comes to be, I will be extremely happy as long as the TLM is as large and full-scale as the one going to DCA (the building does look smaller). Of course, I will not complain if there is more than 1 'real' attraction though.

The only thing I am confused about is the Cinderalla attraction or meet-and-greet. If you look at the plans, it almost looks like there is an entrance into the center similar to what a castle would have. Considering her castle is only a few hundred feet away, what would this building be themed to? Maybe her step-mother's house? Her summer house...:ROFLOL:

Looks promising...

jakeman

I think the difference between "ride" and "attraction" needs to be figured out here. The space for the Cinderella and Aurora "attractions" is not large enough for a physical ride so they will most likely be walk through attractions like Mickey's/Minnie's Houses.

Some may "ignore" these "attractions" because in reality they are both small in size and appeal and most would probably wish for something else to be built instead. That's understandable given the size of the expansion and the fact that most people wouldn't be interested in that kind of elaborate meet and greet area anyway (like boys of any age).

In short, people want more rides and less Princess meet and greets from this project.
I agree, so it could be a simple misnomer between ride and attraction.

The way I see it we are swapping out 1 "ride" for what looks to be at this moment an area that could almost stand alone as it's own land. It also appears that they are addressing several areas that have been concerns in MK (space, restaurants).

It might not be exactly what I wanted, but I'm having a hard time seeing alot of negative beyond my own personal desires.

The types of things that going in there makes me happy. I'll be withhold judgement until the land is completed though.

stitch2008

This all looks and sounds good. The exterior rehabs should be icing on the cake. One intresting thing is that they call TLM, Voyage of the Little Mermaid. Wonder if that means something could happen to the show at DHS.

SirNim

Absolutely, I think that for Magic Kingdom in the Year 2010, this is a proper direction to be going in. Fantasyland is famous for approaching the spaciousness of a sardine can on the more crowded days of the year, and this plan would seemingly obliterate that problem. From a planning perspective, the relocated, expanded Dumbo site atop the former fairgrounds should provide a very nice, comfortable traffic flow. I use the word "mildly" because, you know, I believe the best construction projects at MK involve the additions of new mountains or similarly compelling E-tickets. But for this park, at this time, this fits the bill.

EPCOT Explorer

Saw the plans and I must admit (if these plans are found to be true) that I am very happy. This really could be amazing.

Let's all be honest. MK will never have huge, thrilling rollercoasters like a Six Flags or Universal (SM is as far as they will go) or probably ever add a ride that is more for an adult than a kid. As Walt wanted, MK is for all ages, but truly geared around families. I think Disney is more than happy to have the kids from age 1 to 14 or so, then lose them to Uni for the more thrilling attractions from ages 15 to 30 and then get them back as soon as those kids have their own kids and have them from 30 to 100. Then, the cycle starts over.

The big thing I love about these plans is Disney would be going back to what it is second-to-none, which is theming. The current FL is really the weakest of the lands from a theming standpoint...it is sort of wide-open in some areas, bottlenecks around Dumbo, and just does not feel as immersive as Adventureland or Frontierland or certainly Main Street. Honestly, FL right now does not transport you anywhere like the other lands do or like DAK does or like DHS does in certain areas. This clearly has the castle wall acting as an entrance to the land (another thing it really lacks) to possibly work to 'transport' you. Each section of the land seems to be laid out to provide mini-lands for each movie/character.

Also, most importantly, it increases the space in the park dramatically, which will ease capacity problems. No matter how many of these end up meet-and-greets, we obviously know people do tend to go down to Disney with their kids :), so those people will be pulled to them and so on and so on.

So, if this comes to be, I will be extremely happy as long as the TLM is as large and full-scale as the one going to DCA (the building does look smaller). Of course, I will not complain if there is more than 1 'real' attraction though.

The only thing I am confused about is the Cinderalla attraction or meet-and-greet. If you look at the plans, it almost looks like there is an entrance into the center similar to what a castle would have. Considering her castle is only a few hundred feet away, what would this building be themed to? Maybe her step-mother's house? Her summer house...:ROFLOL:

Looks promising...

Honestly, the Castle Wall looks to be the most interesting. Maybe there will be a second land?:shrug: Fantasyland East?:lol::lookaroun

As for the themein...I'm thinking it will look like the Castle itself. Maybe attached to it?

PhilharMagician

Absolutely, I think that for Magic Kingdom in the Year 2010, this is a proper direction to be going in. Fantasyland is famous for approaching the spaciousness of a sardine can on the more crowded days of the year, and this plan would seemingly obliterate that problem. From a planning perspective, the relocated, expanded Dumbo site atop the former fairgrounds should provide a very nice, comfortable traffic flow. I use the word "mildly" because, you know, I believe the best construction projects at MK involve the additions of new mountains or similarly compelling E-tickets. But for this park, at this time, this fits the bill.

Yes it does. Not only is Fantasyland crowded, but so is the somewhat small walkway into Toontown. To have that whole are open and seeing trees and waterways meandering through the area should be quite enjoyable. Add the screaming overtired kids and it could be downright magical. :D

Buried20KLeague

Looking at these, I'm definitely getting a DLP Fantasyland feel. Which would be unbelieveable.

One thing I liked about their fantasyland is that you really felt "inside the castle fortress", because they make it pretty obvious using the castle brick pattern all over the place. It looks to me like they're thinking about doing the same thing here.

Also... The way this is laid out would have minimal impact on the existing FL during construction, which is a plus.

MAN, I hope this isn't one of those things that 5 years from now we're talking about like we do right now with Beastly Kingdom. Disney, PLEASE build this thing. And do it RIGHT... Don't cut it all to heck.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom