The new extended Fantasyland Vs Harry potter land??

Which new park attraction would you rather visit/most look forward too?

• Harry potter world at universal

Votes: 87 48.3%
  • Extended Fantasyland

Votes: 64 35.6%
  • CANT CHOOSE! BOTH!!!

Votes: 29 16.1%

• Total voters

CaptainMichael

I think its kind of telling that WWoHP is trouncing FL is this poll on a disney fan website. For most people WWoHP is just looking to be a much better experience. If this forum was populated by 5 year old girls, then I am sure FL would be winning.
I was actually surprised by the poll results. I guess I underestimated this forum or the DoM's are on vacation.

Isn't Hogwarts just a rethemed Dueling Dragons castle???

Sorry, but I haven't been keeping up with HP world because I really do have no interest in the franchise. I read the first 4 books when they first came out and saw the first movie (kind of).

Whether or not you are interested in the franchise DOES play a huge part on the poll question of which project you're looking forward to more. I'm obviously looking forward to the Fantasyland Forest way more than Hocus Pocus Harry Potter Hardly Pleasing to my interests Land...
Not even close. While the Dueling Dragons Castle is gonna be more Hogwarts-like in look and feel, it's a completely separate entity.

Forbidden Journey is housed in a gigantic showbuilding behind the NEW Hogwarts Castle/cliff facade. There will be a fully immersive queue meant to replicate the inside of Hogwarts Castle. Guests will walk through full scale replicas of the Defense the Dark Arts Class Room, the Great Hall, Corridors, The Room of Requirement, Gryffindor Common Room, Dumbledore's Office, etc. The Chamber of Secrets complete with Basilisk AA will be in the ride itself. The queue itself > Princess M&G land.

The wand part is going to be one of the coolest parts of the whole project. A fully interactive environment controlled by wands? How can that not be awesome? :D
Don't get too excited about this. I don't think Magiquest is coming...at least at the outset. Ollivanders should still be awesome though. Many great actors who I know will be working there:xmas:

EpcotExplorer: I don't really understand your position on this. I think we can all say we love Disney, but my love for WDW/Disney Brand doesn't take away from the fact that I also love Harry Potter and this addition looks nothing short of amazing. It's okay to love both. Going to Universal isn't like cheating on your lover. If I didn't see your user name, I'd say you were someone else.

devoy1701

Do you mind if I ask what demographic you are slotted into? I am a 27 male, getting married this summer. I have no kids right now, but plan to. FL expansion appeals to me in no way whatsoever. What about it appeals to you?

I'm a 21 male not married yet but with the same girl for the past 4 years with no kids. I'm interested in the Disney Story and have read countless books on not only the man, but of the company, the take over attempts, Roy's determination to keep the company on the right path, the imagineering, the leadership processes, and of Michael Eisner (don't think Iger has a book yet, not sure how interesting it would be anyway).

Disney will always offer an experience unparallel to Universal. The attention of detail, the subtle transitions from one theme area to the next, the immersion, the imagery, the photo opportunities, the area music, and the romanticism that all of it is possible from a man who always tried to outdo himself and everyone else.

I'm not interested on a orphan child of a theme park company trying to capitalize on some popular craze that is just about 2 or 3 years too late. Books 1-3 of HP were great..book 4 ok, book 5, man i gotta get out of the Juvi Fiction and start spending some time reading other things. And i could care less about the movies after how i felt about the books. Seriously, people camping out at the bookstores to get a copy? just as bad as people who wait until midnight to get the latest version of Madden or Medal of Honor or who all the sudden are hooked on this vampire thing or said i should go see Avatar if for nothing else the special effects (like a story doesn't mean anything)!

I don't get the level of craze and why Uni has been calling a retheming of 1/6 of their park a whole HP Theme Park.

I'll wait 5 years to where the crave dies down. Knowing Uni, they probably won't have anything else new going into IoA within that time...hadn't seen anything happen there since the park opened.

glee

Original Poster
I was actually surprised by the poll results. I guess I underestimated this forum or the DoM's are on vacation.

Not even close. While the Dueling Dragons Castle is gonna be more Hogwarts-like in look and feel, it's a completely separate entity.

Forbidden Journey is housed in a gigantic showbuilding behind the NEW Hogwarts Castle/cliff facade. There will be a fully immersive queue meant to replicate the inside of Hogwarts Castle. Guests will walk through full scale replicas of the Defense the Dark Arts Class Room, the Great Hall, Corridors, The Room of Requirement, Gryffindor Common Room, Dumbledore's Office, etc. The Chamber of Secrets complete with Basilisk AA will be in the ride itself. The queue itself > Princess M&G land.

Don't get too excited about this. I don't think Magiquest is coming...at least at the outset. Ollivanders should still be awesome though. Many great actors who I know will be working there:xmas:

EpcotExplorer: I don't really understand your position on this. I think we can all say we love Disney, but my love for WDW/Disney Brand doesn't take away from the fact that I also love Harry Potter and this addition looks nothing short of amazing. It's okay to love both. Going to Universal isn't like cheating on your lover. If I didn't see your user name, I'd say you were someone else.

Reading what you just said i feel like a child who has just been given alot of sugar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I WANNA GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO TOOO HOGWARTS!!!!:sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

SirGoofy

Disney will always offer an experience unparallel to Universal. The attention of detail, the subtle transitions from one theme area to the next, the immersion, the imagery, the photo opportunities, the area music, and the romanticism that all of it is possible from a man who always tried to outdo himself and everyone else.

Ah...okay. So you've paid absolutely no attention to the level of detail being put into Potter. I get it now.

I don't like the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise all that much. Doesn't stop me from appreciating the detail and technology of the additions to PotC.

CaptainMichael

Also, the kuka arms will be on a track, but the track is that of a traditional darkride ie: busbar. The difference is that the vehicle isn't restricted to the path of the track. It can move in many different ways/directions because of the arm.

devoy1701

Ah...okay. So you've paid absolutely no attention to the level of detail being put into Potter. I get it now.

I don't like the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise all that much. Doesn't stop me from appreciating the detail and technology of the additions to PotC.

level of detail in one small corner of the park doesn't do anything for me. Am i supposed to blinders on as i walk though IoA to get to HP area? Do you really think one area of the park done "right" makes up for lack of maintenance and immersion that areas like Seuss Landing has?

not to mention your example is exactly like what I said about people and Avatar.

glee

Original Poster
Also, the kuka arms will be on a track, but the track is that of a traditional darkride ie: busbar. The difference is that the vehicle isn't restricted to the path of the track. It can move in many different ways/directions because of the arm.

Its very starnge technology. Hopefully it will feel like a ride not like a motion ride..which is what it is...Hopefully everyone knows what i mean

CaptainMichael

level of detail in one small corner of the park doesn't do anything for me. Am i supposed to blinders on as i walk though IoA to get to HP area? Do you really think one area of the park done "right" makes up for lack of maintenance and immersion that areas like Seuss Landing has?

not to mention your example is exactly like what I said about people and Avatar.

I see nothing wrong with having to walk through Port of Entry, Seuss Landing, or Lost Continent to get to the Wizarding World. I see it as a privilege.:shrug:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

What? IOA, and a lot of USF, has theming above and beyond anything in WDW. I`ve really woken up to this the past 3 years. HP land will be stunning. It really will. I`ll still like some of Fland north, of course. You are allowed to like both. It isn`t against the rules. What worries me is Fland norths detail will make other areas in the MK stick out like a sore thumb. The transition - right next door - of Fland to Tland by the Speedway for example. Such a mess. Mostly 1971, some 1985, and a bit of run-out-of-money 1994.

imagineer boy

While I think the FL expansion will be very nice, I honestly can't say I'm looking forward to it. I have no interest in meetngreets at all, and while Little Mermaid looks good, I can't say I'm too excited about it either because its just a simple dark ride. :shrug:

HP on the other hand I'm EXTREMELY excited about. I love the books and the movies and to be able to walk around Hogwarts makes my mouth water! And the ride sounds like it will be amazing, as well as all of the Hogsmead shops.

SirGoofy

What? IOA, and a lot of USF, has theming above and beyond anything in WDW. I`ve really woken up to this the past 3 years. HP land will be stunning. It really will.

Exactly.

I`ll still like some of Fland north, of course. You are allowed to like both. It isn`t against the rules. What worries me is Fland norths detail will make other areas in the MK stick out like a sore thumb. The transition - right next door - of Fland to Tland by the Speedway for example. Such a mess. Mostly 1971, some 1985, and a bit of run-out-of-money 1994.

I completely agree. TLM and BOG/Gastons restaurants will be incredibly welcomed additions. The rest is just wasted money, IMO.

As for the theming disparity, I agree. This will be a verdant forest with streams, whereas the majority of the park is a concrete nightmare. IMO only certain parts of AL and FL, along with LS will really fit in with the new area.

glee

Original Poster
What? IOA, and a lot of USF, has theming above and beyond anything in WDW. I`ve really woken up to this the past 3 years. HP land will be stunning. It really will. I`ll still like some of Fland north, of course. You are allowed to like both. It isn`t against the rules. What worries me is Fland norths detail will make other areas in the MK stick out like a sore thumb. The transition - right next door - of Fland to Tland by the Speedway for example. Such a mess. Mostly 1971, some 1985, and a bit of run-out-of-money 1994.

I agree! Even if your not a harry potter fan i think it will be enjoyable for everyone. I personally feel that alot of people on this website have a hard time admitting to liking universal! :) I personally think that if this was in disney people would be all over it!

devoy1701

like the 2 towers outside of MIB that look nothing like the Towers from the movie? or the faded colors along the shores of Suess Landing? I'll give them credit for the foliage in JP though.

anyway..i'm not saying you can't like both. I was asked my stance and demographic and what appeals to me so i gave it. Uni does not impress me, and ride tech on an attraction who's franchise i could care less about does not impress me either. that's what i'm saying.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I'm a 21 male not married yet but with the same girl for the past 4 years with no kids. I'm interested in the Disney Story and have read countless books on not only the man, but of the company, the take over attempts, Roy's determination to keep the company on the right path, the imagineering, the leadership processes, and of Michael Eisner (don't think Iger has a book yet, not sure how interesting it would be anyway).

I'm not interested on a orphan child of a theme park company trying to capitalize on some popular craze that is just about 2 or 3 years too late. Books 1-3 of HP were great..book 4 ok, book 5, man i gotta get out of the Juvi Fiction and start spending some time reading other things. And i could care less about the movies after how i felt about the books. Seriously, people camping out at the bookstores to get a copy? just as bad as people who wait until midnight to get the latest version of Madden or Medal of Honor or who all the sudden are hooked on this vampire thing or said i should go see Avatar if for nothing else the special effects (like a story doesn't mean anything)!

I don't get the level of craze and why Uni has been calling a retheming of 1/6 of their park a whole HP Theme Park.

I'll wait 5 years to where the crave dies down. Knowing Uni, they probably won't have anything else new going into IoA within that time...hadn't seen anything happen there since the park opened.

I used to be just like you. I thought universal was kind of a joke, almost like a six flags. As the years have gone on though, I now realize how stupid that was of me. IOA especially, is a wonderfully themed park. Many areas are better then most Disney areas. I'll agree with you on the Dr Suess area. I hate it, looks cheap, like Dinoland in AK.

As far as waiting for the craze to die down, its not going to happen. Harry Potter as become transcendent. It has turned on millions of kids to reading, and has grossed insane, unheard of amounts of money. Has the Star Wars craze died down? Neither will Harry.

You say uni never adds anything, over the past decade they have added twice as much in their 2 theme parks as Disney has added in its 4.

I respect your opinion that FL is more appealing then WWoHP, but I am just having trouble understanding your reasoning.

SirGoofy

I'll agree with you on the Dr Suess area. I hate it, looks cheap, like Dinoland in AK.

Whoa! Cannot agree there. Suess Landing is the perfect representation of the good Dr.'s works, and Cat in the Hat is a terrific dark ride. Now, the place needs more consistent maintenance than it gets, but I don't think it's cheap by any stretch of the imagination.

As far as waiting for the craze to die down, its not going to happen. Harry Potter as become transcendent. It has turned on millions of kids to reading, and has grossed insane, unheard of amounts of money. Has the Star Wars craze died down? Neither will Harry.

Agreed. I've said it all along, HP is this generation's Star Wars.

devoy1701

I used to be just like you. I thought universal was kind of a joke, almost like a six flags. As the years have gone on though, I now realize how stupid that was of me. IOA especially, is a wonderfully themed park. Many areas are better then most Disney areas. I'll agree with you on the Dr Suess area. I hate it, looks cheap, like Dinoland in AK.

You say uni never adds anything, over the past decade they have added twice as much in their 2 theme parks as Disney has added in its 4.

I respect your opinion that FL is more appealing then WWoHP, but I am just having trouble understanding your reasoning.

excuse you for that comment.

to each his own.

Also IMO, nothing about the Star Wars franchise has been good since the original trilogy. Even so, I don't think that Harry will survive like Star Wars 20 years from now...

MousDad

From early previews, it looks like theming will be about a tie, but I wouldn't be surprised to see FLE ultimately win in this regard.

But based on what people in-the-know are saying about the signature attraction, and the broader demographic, I'm giving the slight edge to Harry.

Figment632

Exactly.

I completely agree. TLM and BOG/Gastons restaurants will be incredibly welcomed additions. The rest is just wasted money, IMO.

As for the theming disparity, I agree. This will be a verdant forest with streams, whereas the majority of the park is a concrete nightmare. IMO only certain parts of AL and FL, along with LS will really fit in with the new area.

I disagree here a Tavern that doesn't serve alcohol :lookaroun

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Even so, I don't think that Harry will survive like Star Wars 20 years from now...
The ride or the films? I`ve seen one of the Potter movies. Made myself watch it to try to understand what the hype was about. The following 5 are still sat in the box set unwatched. However, I can`t wait for the attraction. It will be mindblowing.

Does it matter about the franchise or base movie? Partly but it isn`t the be-all. Look at Splash Mountain for example.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom