The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Phroobar

Mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, no significant harm done to the regular lines. On the other hand, more clutter. Personally, I'm planning a quickie Cedar Point trip just to ride Steel Vengeance... and I would happily pay an extra $15-$50 for that experience with little wait, as I'm a one-time visitor (the normal Fastlane Plus add-on is around $85 for all coasters).

As much as I usually hate to see Disney being greedy, this is one case where I think that -- if they *do* offer something like this-- they should charge top-dollar. $50 for a one-ride one-time front-of-the-line pass. For each SW ride. And then discontinue it after the first year.

For AP's, make it $200 a ride. :D
How about we eliminate all class privilege front of the line ticket systems and just have one queue line?

That's how Walt did it, that's how America does it, and it's worked out pretty well so far.

Rich T

How about we eliminate all class privilege front of the line ticket systems and just have one queue line?

That's how Walt did it, that's how America does it, and it's worked out pretty well so far.
I'd be behind this one hundred percent. Heck, today's guests even have little electronic pacifier tablets to entertain themselves with while waiting!

Stevek

Took @Darkbeer1's advice and picked up session passes for Knotts for the family. For less than the price of one cheapest level Disneyland AP, all four of us go to Knotts for the rest of the year with free parking (for me).
We had passes off and on, once during a break from DL passes. While I love the park and all of it's personality, there really isn't enough there for me as far as rides. About the wildest coaster I can do is Xcellerator so some of the coasters and spinning rides are off limits. I absolutely love the Log Ride and Calico Mine train. Bottom line, great value but we just didn't have a burning desire to go often like we did Disneyland and ultimately decided passes weren't for us anymore.

Sharon&Susan

Now here’s a question I don’t know if anyone is going to be able to answer. Is the audio for the original versions of Fantasyland dark rides lost or have they been rereleased or reused elsewhere?

mickEblu

Original Poster
Finally saw Home on the Range. I’m not sure it cracks the Top 5 worst Official Disney animated films of all time. It’s has some nice backgrounds, a couple catchy tunes and the mine sequence was pretty entertaining and had some old school charm to it. Don’t get me wrong, it’s still one of the worst but I think I can name 5 worse.

Rich T

Now here’s a question I don’t know if anyone is going to be able to answer. Is the audio for the original versions of Fantasyland dark rides lost or have they been rereleased or reused elsewhere?
I haven't found a source (and I could kick myself for losing the cassette tape recording ride-throughs of Alice in Wonderland and Mr. Toad that I made as a kid back in the 70's.)

Check around though; there exists a fantastic fan-mix of the Alice dark ride music that inserts all of the original Alice narration audio into the new soundtrack (so, for instance, you hear the Upside Down Room narration before the doorknob scene).

Rich T

Finally saw Home on the Range. I’m not sure it cracks the Top 5 worst Official Disney animated films of all time. It’s has some nice backgrounds, a couple catchy tunes and the mine sequence was pretty entertaining and had some old school charm to it. Don’t get me wrong, it’s still one of the worst but I think I can name 5 worse.
I like the human characters, Buck the Horse, the music and the backgrounds. And the villain. The yodel song is kind of awesomely weird.

The sad part is thinking about how much more they could have done with the western theme if only they'd chosen more appealing leads and made it more of a true adventure. I'd have rather seen a feature length version of Windwagon Smith or Pecos Bill than this.

As it is, though, it's not awful. Disney's definitely made worse.

Sharon&Susan

I haven't found a source (and I could kick myself for losing the cassette tape recording ride-throughs of Alice in Wonderland and Mr. Toad that I made as a kid back in the 70's.)

Check around though; there exists a fantastic fan-mix of the Alice dark ride music that inserts all of the original Alice narration audio into the new soundtrack (so, for instance, you hear the Upside Down Room narration before the doorknob scene).

I think I may’ve found my answer. Compare this

To this (sorry for the low quality)

Last edited:

mickEblu

Original Poster
Why do they feel that plastering “passholder” on T shirts is a good thing? Why can’t they just come up with cool, desirable merchandise that’s only available to passholders? Who wants to advertise that they re an AP anyway? What’s so cool about being an AP at Disneyland? Where 70% of the other guests are too. It’s not some elite club. It would be like walking into a Laker game with a shirt that said “Laker fan.” That should just be implied by the fact that you re there in a purple and gold jersey and you re rooting for them.

888FFBFE-6297-4CEC-9D91-0F17FD073C21.jpeg

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Why do they feel that plastering “passholder” on T shirts is a good thing? Why can’t they just come up with cool, desirable merchandise that’s only available to passholders? Who wants to advertise that they re an AP anyway? What’s so cool about being an AP at Disneyland? Where 70% of the other guests are too. It’s not some elite club. It would be like walking into a Laker game with a shirt that said “Laker fan.” That should just be implied by the fact that you re there in a purple and gold jersey and you re rooting for them.

View attachment 302419

Remember Disney is a lifestyle now. So advertising you're part of the "in crowd" by being an AP is part of that lifestyle. I see it on FB, Instagram, Snapchat, and even dating apps, that little tag line, Disney AP holder.

I was going to the movies the other day and I saw at least half a dozen 18-25 yr olds all wearing Disneyland clothes. A couple of them even had pins attached.

So its no surprise that Disney wants to feed into that lifestyle.....

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes

View attachment 302419

Anything that says Passholder or the AP logo should be thrown in the trash. It hasn't been special for 20 years.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Remember Disney is a lifestyle now. So advertising you're part of the "in crowd" by being an AP is part of that lifestyle. I see it on FB, Instagram, Snapchat, and even dating apps, that little tag line, Disney AP holder.

I was going to the movies the other day and I saw at least half a dozen 18-25 yr olds all wearing Disneyland clothes. A couple of them even had pins attached.

So its no surprise that Disney wants to feed into that lifestyle.....

Disneyland clothes or AP clothes? That’s a big difference when it comes to the point I was trying to make. Still asking the same question. What about being an AP makes you a part of the “in crowd?” It sounds lame to me. I just want some quality merchandise with cool designs and that pays homage to the park and/ or attractions. Anything with “passholder” on it is such a big turn off for me. I don’t think millennials even relate to the notion of an “in crowd.” I think this is just typical collector/ Disney parks fan behavior who are buying things because they ‘re “exclusive.” My point is that the shirts can still be exclusive with a better design and no tacky “PASSHOLDER” in big letters.

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Speaking of being a DLR AP holder....

After five fun years of frolicking adventures in California, this September I will be back at Walt Disney World.
I feel like such a 'traitor'....but I have some valid reasons for coming back East this year.

Should be a very interesting week long visit this time around.
I haven't been to Florida in five years as Disneyland has spoiled me tremendously with it's unique style of experience.

-

Figments Friend

View attachment 302419

Agree.
I assume it's simply 'bragging rights', but to whom really considering most of the guests in the Park at any given time are AP holders too?
Looking at these particular shirts...they would be kinda cool if the lettering was removed.
The 'Passholder' text just ruins them.

I had a DLR AP and lived 3,000 miles away on another coast.
If anything, there should be a t-shirt emblazoned with that - 'East Coast Disneyland Annual Passholder'!
Now that there's some legit bragging rights, and a true 'exclusive club membership'!
I mean seriously.....there can't be too many Easterling AP holders around!
Where is my dang shirt, huh..?
:hilarious:

mickEblu

Original Poster
Agree.
I assume it's simply 'bragging rights', but to whom really considering most of the guests in the Park at any given time are AP holders too?
Looking at these particular shirts...they would be kinda cool if the lettering was removed.
The 'Passholder' text just ruins them.

I had a DLR AP and lived 3,000 miles away on another coast.
If anything, there should be a t-shirt emblazoned with that - 'East Coast Disneyland Annual Passholder'!
Now that there's some legit bragging rights, and a true 'exclusive club membership'!
I mean seriously.....there can't be too many Easterling AP holders around!
Where is my dang shirt, huh..?
:hilarious:

Lol now we re talking!

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Disneyland clothes or AP clothes? That’s a big difference when it comes to the point I was trying to make. Still asking the same question. What about being an AP makes you a part of the “in crowd?” It sounds lame to me. I just want some quality merchandise with cool designs and that pays homage to the park and/ or attractions. Anything with “passholder” on it is such a big turn off for me. I don’t think millennials even relate to the notion of an “in crowd.” I think this is just typical collector/ Disney parks fan behavior who are buying things because they ‘re “exclusive.” My point is that the shirts can still be exclusive with a better design and no tacky “PASSHOLDER” in big letters.

Yes at least one of them had an AP shirt on, it was the 24 hour one from 2015. Which, full disclosure, I own too. Also it was Christopher Robin I was going to see, which is also why I probably saw all the Disneyland gear. Which, btw, if you haven't seen I highly recommend it.

As far as being part of the "in-crowd" with respect to AP. Its like being part of an exclusive group, that is open to everyone. They wear it as a badge of pride, like this is what I'm into and I don't care if you know or even if you like it or not. Its something that has changed over the last decade. Because prior to 2005ish, I don't think I ever heard anyone talking about being an AP. Social media has been a big part of the reason in my opinion.

I know you have been speaking of the merch specifically, but its part of a larger thing. And you can't understand it until you understand how Disney and Disneyland is seen as a lifestyle and how Disney is trying to promote and cash in on it. And to be honest if it didn't sell Disney wouldn't be creating them. They don't care if its fans collecting it or if its APs buying it to display they are an AP.

Now the real question is an AP exclusive, or is this the typical AP versions of new merch?

Curious Constance

View attachment 302419

I think, officially, it's supposed to be a slap in the face to people from out of town. You spent more than $5000 to fly here, but park tickets, eat at our restaurants and stay at our hotels for just a few days? Well, you can't buy this shirt. This shirt is reserved for those willing to spend a fraction of that price for year long park access.

Where is my special shirt?

"I spent a ridiculous amount of money to come to Disneyland, which sounded like a lot of fun at the time, but now that I'm here it's too hot, too crowded, my feet are killing me, and it's full of grown a$$ adults who look like they've been puked on by a Disney Store."

I want that shirt.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom