The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

mickEblu

Original Poster
I think, officially, it's supposed to be a slap in the face to people from out of town. You spent more than $5000 to fly here, but park tickets, eat at our restaurants and stay at our hotels for just a few days? Well, you can't buy this shirt. This shirt is reserved for those willing to spend a fraction of that price for year long park access.

Where is my special shirt?

"I spent a ridiculous amount of money to come to Disneyland, which sounded like a lot of fun at the time, but now that I'm here it's too hot, too crowded, my feet are killing me, and it's full of grown a$$ adults who look like they've been puked on by a Disney Store."

I want that shirt.

LOL.

Wouldn’t the shirt you re looking for basically be the other 99% of shirts they sell at the resort that say “Disneyland” or have characters on them? Or do you want one that says “Disneyland vacationer from Oregon?” That may be a little too specific. Besides, those AP shirts are so ugly I doubt you really want one. Maybe it makes sense now. Maybe they specifically make them ugly so Non APs don’t get jealous.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Yes at least one of them had an AP shirt on, it was the 24 hour one from 2015. Which, full disclosure, I own too. Also it was Christopher Robin I was going to see, which is also why I probably saw all the Disneyland gear. Which, btw, if you haven't seen I highly recommend it.

As far as being part of the "in-crowd" with respect to AP. Its like being part of an exclusive group, that is open to everyone. They wear it as a badge of pride, like this is what I'm into and I don't care if you know or even if you like it or not. Its something that has changed over the last decade. Because prior to 2005ish, I don't think I ever heard anyone talking about being an AP. Social media has been a big part of the reason in my opinion.

I know you have been speaking of the merch specifically, but its part of a larger thing. And you can't understand it until you understand how Disney and Disneyland is seen as a lifestyle and how Disney is trying to promote and cash in on it. And to be honest if it didn't sell Disney wouldn't be creating them. They don't care if its fans collecting it or if its APs buying it to display they are an AP.

Now the real question is an AP exclusive, or is this the typical AP versions of new merch?

I think I understand the culture. I’ve had an AP for a few years now. I just think they re ugly.

Christopher Robin looks like it’s the kind of movie where people have low expectations and are being pleasantly surprised.

Phroobar

Why do they feel that plastering “passholder” on T shirts is a good thing? Why can’t they just come up with cool, desirable merchandise that’s only available to passholders? Who wants to advertise that they re an AP anyway? What’s so cool about being an AP at Disneyland? Where 70% of the other guests are too. It’s not some elite club. It would be like walking into a Laker game with a shirt that said “Laker fan.” That should just be implied by the fact that you re there in a purple and gold jersey and you re rooting for them.

View attachment 302419
They might as well say "here comes trouble" to the cast members.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I think I understand the culture. I’ve had an AP for a few years now. I just think they re ugly.

Christopher Robin looks like it’s the kind of movie where people have low expectations and are being pleasantly surprised.

Now is it ugly just because they have AP or Annual Passholder written on them. Or are they just ugly in general to you? Because I still ask the question, is this AP exclusive merch? Or is this just the AP version of the new HM merch and you can buy it without the AP logos?

mickEblu

Original Poster
Now is it ugly just because they have AP or Annual Passholder written on them. Or are they just ugly in general to you? Because I still ask the question, is this AP exclusive merch? Or is this just the AP version of the new HM merch and you can buy it without the AP logos?

Mostly bothersome because of the “PASSHOLDER” text but I’m not fond of these or most of the AP shirt designs In general. Then again, I’m not fond of most of the Disneyland apparel designs either.

I believe any merchandise with “passholder” on it is available only to APs.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I believe any merchandise with “passholder” on it is available only to APs.

That is not entirely true, it depends on the merch. Some are exclusive where they only produce the AP version. Others are the standard merch where they produce both AP and non-AP versions.

For example for the 60th, they had AP versions of some of the regular 60th merch, same merch just said AP on it.

So I guess the question still stands, is this AP exclusive or is this standard HM merch with AP logos added?

Curious Constance

LOL.

Wouldn’t the shirt you re looking for basically be the other 99% of shirts they sell at the resort that say “Disneyland” or have characters on them? Or do you want one that says “Disneyland vacationer from Oregon?” That may be a little too specific. Besides, those AP shirts are so ugly I doubt you really want one. Maybe it makes sense now. Maybe they specifically make them ugly so Non APs don’t get jealous.
I actually don't want any of their dumb shirts. I just think their pandering to APs is ridiculous and does nothing to convince my money to vacation there.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I was at the park yesterday and rode Roger Rabbits Cartoon spin for the first time in a while. It was the first time I’ve ever rode solo and I have to say I have a whole new appreciation for it. I always liked it but I really think it’s catapulted into the top 2-3 dark rides at DLR for me. Probably just behind Alice. We had fast passes and my wife/ son didnt want to go so I went anyway. It was much more enjoyable being able to spin the car as I pleased (wife/ son get dizzy) and going solo I was able to appreciate all of the great details. It really is a “modern” version of FL style dark rides but on steroids. I would be absolutely PO’d if they ever get rid of it. I also think Toontown gets a lot of undeserved hate. The land is charming AF if you take a second to appreciate the little details and interactive elements. The soundtrack is really cool too. Walked out of RRCTS and the Steamboat Willie music was playing.

One thing that’s slightly bothersome... why is the cab Lenny and not Benny? And the voice actor doing his voice in the load area isn’t that great.

Last edited:

disneyC97

I was at the park yesterday and rode Roger Rabbits Cartoon spin for the first time in a while. It was the first time I’ve ever rode solo and I have to say I have a whole new appreciation for it. I always liked it but I really think it’s catapulted into the top 2-3 dark rides at DLR for me. Probably just behind Alice. We had fast passes and my wife/ son didnt want to go so I went anyway. It was much more enjoyable being able to spin the car as I pleased (wife/ son get dizzy) and going solo I was able to appreciate all of the great details. It really is a “modern” version of FL style dark rides but on steroids. I would be absolutely PO’d if they ever get rid of it. I also think Toontown gets a lot of undeserved hate. The land is charming AF if you take a second to appreciate the little details and interactive elements. The soundtrack is really cool too. Walked out of RRCTS and the Steamboat Willie music was playing.

One thing that’s slightly bothersome... why is the cab Lenny and not Benny? And the voice actor doing his voice in the load area isn’t hat great.
I always wondered about using Lenny as Benny’s brother and figured it lowered the cut paid to Spielberg (and/or the voice actor?) since Lenny was not a character in the film. Total speculation on my part...maybe someone knows more.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I always wondered about using Lenny as Benny’s brother and figured it lowered the cut paid to Spielberg (and/or the voice actor?) since Lenny was not a character in the film. Total speculation on my part...maybe someone knows more.

I thought that but they used all of the other main (toon) characters so why stop short? If there was just one Judge Doom AA (as a toon) it would be the perfect ride. That and if they fix that dip effect at the end. There use to be some sort of hologram effect of green dip coming out of the dip machine the boss weasel is sitting on. It’s been broken for a while.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes

One thing that’s slightly bothersome... why is the cab Lenny and not Benny? And the voice actor doing his voice in the load area isn’t that great.

I think it’s because you see Roger riding Benny the cab in the ride.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I think it’s because you see Roger riding Benny the cab in the ride.

Hmmm. Maybe. An interesting work around just so we can see Roger riding Benny in one scene even though it is one of the more memorable/ iconic visuals from the film. But if you re right, it shows the attention detail and story that previously existed.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Finally saw Fantasmic 2.0 last night. New soundtrack sucks. Took a lot of the emotion out of it for me. I’m not going to pretend that I was some huge Fantasmic fan as I only saw the original twice (if you don’t count glancing in passing on my way to Splash, POTC, or HM). I just remember it having more of an emotional impact on me. Visually, I don’t even know what was cut aside from the Peter Pan scene which I also preferred.

EDIT: I noticed they added the Lion King and axed Snow White and Cinderella / Pocahontas (?) for Rapunzel.

Last edited:

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Hey @mickEblu see you on August 25th :)

28027_DisneyParks_SplashMountain_PopRide_GLAM_large.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-13 at 9.27.14 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-13 at 9.27.23 AM.png

mickEblu

Original Poster

Lol. Dammit! Here we go again.

They re popping these out quick now. Pun intended. Thanks for the heads up!
I wonder if this will this be a “stroll in at noon and their will still be some” situation or a “you better get there at the crack of dawn” situation. I’ve kind of experienced both now with the abominable snow man and enchanted tiki room pops.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Lol. Dammit! Here we go again.

They re popping these out quick now. Pun intended. Thanks for the heads up!
I wonder if this will this be a “stroll in at noon and their will still be some” situation or a “you better get there at the crack of dawn” situation. I’ve kind of experienced both now with the abominable snow man and enchanted tiki room pops.

Better not take the chance, get there at 4am and be the first in line....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom