The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Phroobar

I still remember the day (pre-internet) I arrived for a DL visit and found Inner Space closed and the building under construction for a new attraction. I was a bit heart-broken, but then remembered a blurb I'd read (probably in Disney News) about Lucas working with Disney to bring Star Wars into the park. I asked the CM (stationed there to console the dozen or so Inner Space fans who were bound to turn up) if this was to be the rumored Star Wars ride. She looked uncomfortable, like she wasn't supposed to say too much, and finally said, "It's not exactly a Star Wars ride, but you're on the right track."

I headed for Space Mountain and decided that Star Wars was the one property I'd happily trade Inner Space for. :D When the ride opened, I was super-happy to see the same entry queue layout in the first room. Didn't catch the microscope's guest appearance until someone pointed it out (probably Disney News again). :D
Star Tours was a great addition to the park. It did wonders for the park and increased attendance. The flight simulator was totally unique back then and the space port idea fit in great. It's amazing it's been there for thirty years.

Rich T

Simple little Disney things that make me happier than Pixar Pier:
gatocheshire.jpg

Curious Constance

Random quick WDW question:

If you're taking Uber to the Magic Kingdom, can you be dropped off right by the park gates, or do they drop you off near where you would park if you drove, so you have to take the ferry or monorail to the parks anyway?

drizgirl

If you're taking Uber to the Magic Kingdom, can you be dropped off right by the park gates, or do they drop you off near where you would park if you drove, so you have to take the ferry or monorail to the parks anyway?
Not sure of the official drop-off spot, but you can always have them drop you at the Contemporary and walk from there.

SuddenStorm

Since Inner Space opened before Mansion, I rode the Monsanto adventure many, many times before I finally got to experience Haunted Mansion. My first thought when the Ghost Host started talking was, "Hey, it's the Inner Space guy!" Paul Frees was certainly Mr. Omnimover. :D

Inner Space was wonderful. I loved everything about it, and never quite understood why so many guests in later years felt compelled to scream, spit, damage the props and generally act like idiots once on-board. Guests behaving badly certainly isn't a new phenomenon.

Something about Paul Frees creates an incessant need for people to misbehave.

Darkbeer1

Took @Darkbeer1's advice and picked up session passes for Knotts for the family. For less than the price of one cheapest level Disneyland AP, all four of us go to Knotts for the rest of the year with free parking (for me).

Welcome to the dark side. Off to Knott's now, just leaving the Dr.'s office. Then back before opening tomorrow with my wife for the Official HangTime opening.

The special SP T-Shirt for HangTime is just
$12.99.

Then SeaWorld on Sunday. And my first Fiancee is in town, and will meet. That will be fun.... (Both with our spouses, they live in Texas now).

dweezil78

Uber only goes to the TTC. Def go to Contemporary and do the short walk over, it’s not bad at all. I believe the Minnie Vans will put you by the bus area, but that’s only if you’re getting around within WDW property and not coming from outside.

Curious Constance

Uber only goes to the TTC. Def go to Contemporary and do the short walk over, it’s not bad at all. I believe the Minnie Vans will put you by the bus area, but that’s only if you’re getting around within WDW property and not coming from outside.
My coworker is going next week for a conference. She's going to the parks one day and coming in via Uber from offsite. If they drop off at TTC they could take the ferry for the experience of it. It's her first time. So Uber could drop off at the Contemporary too? How far is the walk?

Rich T

Took @Darkbeer1's advice and picked up session passes for Knotts for the family. For less than the price of one cheapest level Disneyland AP, all four of us go to Knotts for the rest of the year with free parking (for me).
Awesome! Personally, I think Timber Mountain Log Ride is possibly the most perfect theme park ride on Earth; just as fun, thrilling and better-paced than the much-later Splash Mtn.

dweezil78

My coworker is going next week for a conference. She's going to the parks one day and coming in via Uber from offsite. If they drop off at TTC they could take the ferry for the experience of it. It's her first time. So Uber could drop off at the Contemporary too? How far is the walk?

I'd skip the TTC if she's short on time for sure, not worth dealing with that mess. Walk from Contemporary is pretty comparable to walk from Disneyland Hotel to DL. Walkway goes right from Contemporary up to the front gate, it's super easy.

Kiwiduck

It took me 15 minutes including security and I was strolling slowly after my giant breakfast. It’s not that far at all.

Stevek

So, what is this weird fascination with "adult" Disney fans taking vacation/trip pictures with their stuffed animals...seatbelted in their plane seat, sitting at Dinner at a Disney restaurant, riding rides, etc. Anyone else think that's odd? I'm seeing it more and more.

Darkbeer1

So I have been busy between work and doing the Hangtime Media events all day Thursday and Friday AM. (Loved all the rides I got during down times, plus loved the Timber Mountain ride with one of the senior rehab guys, they did an awesome job, brand new conveyor belts and other behind the scenes stuff). So I couldn't work the Electric Eel event last week at SWSD. But Lisa and I headed down on Sunday for early morning ERT. It is an Awesome Shuttle Coaster, and a great ride.

Here is the BIG (or should I say GIGANTIC) problem. The ride can only run one train, which has 3 cars. Each car has 3 rows of 2 seats. So 18 people, and about 3 minutes per launch, as you can't preload a second.... (For Maintenance, they have to remove each car separately). So that is 360 riders per hour, many up to 540 if they can get to a 2 minute turnover....)

So what to do? Well, the regular QuickQueue upgrade is not eligible for Electric Eel. But you can buy a ride specific one, just $15 per person. And to make it easy, SeaWorld was kind enough to place an ATM machine to see them at the entrance to the ride. And on a slow overcast Sunday Afternoon, I saw many folks buying them....

https://seaworld.com/san-diego/upgrades/enhance-your-day/

So will Disney follow suit at Galaxy Edge, maybe with a return time as an additional feature?

20180520_152242-L.jpg

Last edited:

Darkbeer1

Let's say 300 people an hour pay the $15 QQ fee. So about $4,500 an hour. 9 Hours of operation on average is $40,000 a day, $280,000 a week, or $1.2 Million a year. That should pay off the ride, plus operating cost in just a few years.

Rich T

So I have been busy between work and doing the Hangtime Media events all day Thursday and Friday AM. (Loved all the rides I got during down times, plus loved the Timber Mountain ride with one of the senior rehab guys, they did an awesome job, brand new conveyor belts and other behind the scenes stuff). So I couldn't work the Electric Eel event last week at SWSD. But Lisa and I headed down on Sunday for early morning ERT. It is an Awesome Shuttle Coaster, and a great ride.

Here is the BIG (or should I say GIGANTIC) problem. The ride can only run one train, which has 3 cars. Each car has 3 rows of 2 seats. So 18 people, and about 3 minutes per launch, as you can't preload a second.... (For Maintenance, they have to remove each car separately). So that is 360 riders per hour, many up to 540 if they can get to a 2 minute turnover....)

So what to do? Well, the regular QuickQueue upgrade is not eligible for Electric Eel. But you can buy a ride specific one, just $15 per person. And to make it easy, SeaWorld was kind enough to place an ATM machine to see them at the entrance to the ride. And on a slow overcast Sunday Afternoon, I saw many folks buying them....

https://seaworld.com/san-diego/upgrades/enhance-your-day/

So will Disney follow suit at Galaxy Edge, maybe with a return time as an additional feature?

20180520_152242-L.jpg
Mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, no significant harm done to the regular lines. On the other hand, more clutter. Personally, I'm planning a quickie Cedar Point trip just to ride Steel Vengeance... and I would happily pay an extra $15-$50 for that experience with little wait, as I'm a one-time visitor (the normal Fastlane Plus add-on is around $85 for all coasters).

As much as I usually hate to see Disney being greedy, this is one case where I think that -- if they *do* offer something like this-- they should charge top-dollar. $50 for a one-ride one-time front-of-the-line pass. For each SW ride. And then discontinue it after the first year.

For AP's, make it $200 a ride. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom