The great "stroller" conspiracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
When I was contractor at Disney, I worked through all 4 parks and although I had been visiting WDW since I was about 3 years old, I started to come up with nicknames for the parks...MK's name had been changed to "Stroller Encounter".

Things are a LOT worse in this regard than they were 10 or 20 years ago. Go outside of Philharmagic, or POTC, or the TTA entrance, and look at the massive sea of strollers.

I have been hit several times by people pushing them, of course I'm sure it's difficult to stop them when they're loaded down with 300 lbs. of stuff.

I've also been through the IASW/Peter Pan traffic jams which can get really bad since it's such a bottleneck. I'm not sure why Disney has to make wide strollers, it seems more useful to make narrow ones that seat 2 CHILDREN and maybe the adults wouldn't want to sit in them and put more stress on them than they should.

And people wonder why Disney doubled the cost of renting strollers last year.

For those who say "you must not have children", no I WAS a child, I spent several days at WDW and didn't have to use a stroller after I was 4 or 5.

Go to the international parks, and look around, you won't find mini-SUV strollers (with JEEP BRANDING!!) everywhere.

erstwo

They dont need to see anything...they can watch the planning DVD on the flip down onboard DVD entertainment system.

Said the man with the giant truck....... :ROFLOL:

Seriously though - no matter your stance, let's not forget that there are CHILDREN in those strollers. And isn't that what WDW is all about? The magic of childhood? Who cares if their parents bring too much stuff for them. So sorry you can't walk as fast - boo hoo.

You want to take a stance and show the world how parenting should be done WDW style?

Have a baby. Take your child to WDW with your tiny umbrella stroller and your small, sensible diaper bag and have at it! Maybe others will follow your example. :lol:

DisneyMom4

Do you really know what it means to keep a stroller longer than the age of 3? Do you really?

Do you really know what it means to subject your child to a medical treatment that will leave a scar on their body? Do you know what it means to agree to medicines that may help your child, but have long lasting affects on their body? Do you you know what it feels like to have to administer medicine that will hurt your child while they beg you not to do so?

Do you understand that some people keep their children in a stroller because that is what allows them to enjoy Disney World when they would otherwise not be able to?

I'm sorry, I truly am, that strollers got in your way on your trip. I'm sorry that you had moments where you could not do what you wanted to do right then and there because of a stroller.

However, tonight when I gave another dose of medicine to my child. Tonight when I spoke to a friend who can experience Disney because she can use a stroller with her 7-year-old. Tonight, when I realized...no one realizes what I have to go through right now in order to get the right use a stroller with my older child.....

Tonight when I sat down and read this thread....I realized that no one gets the right to judge. No one knows what goes on each day in someone else's home. No one knows what it takes to get to that moment when someone else may see you at Disney.

I would trade a million strollers for what I just experienced in the last 10 minutes with my child. However, I can't....and in exchange, I will use a stroller at Disney in September with my older child with my head held high and with absolutely no regard for what others may think.

goreesha

Do you really know what it means to keep a stroller longer than the age of 3? Do you really?

Do you really know what it means to subject your child to a medical treatment that will leave a scar on their body? Do you know what it means to agree to medicines that may help your child, but have long lasting affects on their body? Do you you know what it feels like to have to administer medicine that will hurt your child while they beg you not to do so?

Do you understand that some people keep their children in a stroller because that is what allows them to enjoy Disney World when they would otherwise not be able to?

I'm sorry, I truly am, that strollers got in your way on your trip. I'm sorry that you had moments where you could not do what you wanted to do right then and there because of a stroller.

However, tonight when I gave another dose of medicine to my child. Tonight when I spoke to a friend who can experience Disney because she can use a stroller with her 7-year-old. Tonight, when I realized...no one realizes what I have to go through right now in order to get the right use a stroller with my older child.....

Tonight when I sat down and read this thread....I realized that no one gets the right to judge. No one knows what goes on each day in someone else's home. No one knows what it takes to get to that moment when someone else may see you at Disney.

I would trade a million strollers for what I just experienced in the last 10 minutes with my child. However, I can't....and in exchange, I will use a stroller at Disney in September with my older child with my head held high and with absolutely no regard for what others may think.

Preach it!

Seriously, people have no idea who these folks are that they are judging. When you encounter someone at Disney World, you don't know their story, where they are coming from, or what they may be dealing with in their lives. You don't know anything about them except the shallow surface judgments that you make. A few seconds of inconvenience is all a lot of people see, and all they care about.

My wife and I only use a small umbrella stroller for our 2 year old, but even when I see the wide strollers or people with a bunch of stuff, I don't get worked up about it. So what if they got in my way for two seconds? Life goes on. Let it go, people. Seriously, some of you are so steamed about such a little thing. Let it go and enjoy your life.

If someone goes out of their way to annoy you, fine, be upset about it. But otherwise just let it go. Just not lest ye be judged and all that sort of stuff, as they say.

Disney05

I've pushed around both a single child stroller and a wheel chair. And I'll have to push around a wheel chair this September. I've seen those double strollers and they are wide. It's not just the size of the stroller but the driver. Some of these people just think they can barrel right through a crowd or worse stop in the middle of where ever. When I have to push one, I try to not get in the way of others if at all possible.

EpcoTim

Seriously though - no matter your stance, let's not forget that there are CHILDREN in those strollers. And isn't that what WDW is all about? The magic of childhood? Who cares if their parents bring too much stuff for them. So sorry you can't walk as fast - boo hoo.

Nice, here's one of the people who smashes your achilles tendon repeatedly because another stroller nazi in front of you decided to stop all of a sudden to unload a pan of brownies.

Susan Savia

And dont ya just love it when they leave them set in the middle of the 'road' to figure out directions, or decide where to go eat so no one can get around them, as tho their invisible.....:brick:I do think the 'drivers' of said strollers could be a little more atuned to the traffic around them and pull off to the side out of the way, etc. I do that when I am pushing around a shopping cart in the store. I dont want to hold up others when I want to stop and look at something... oh an yes I have used strollers in the parks before and Yes, I have moved it out of the way so the folks coming behind me can walk on and not have figure a way around me instead! Disney should dump the double wide ones. Strollers are meant for babys and toddlers, not for older kids who should be walking!

MousDad

Nothing like a stroller topic to bring the babies out.

Want a fact? Here's one: No matter how much strollers, omnibuses, winnebagos, coolers on wheels, portable suitcases, kitchens in a sack, adults napping in doublewides, or 15" wheels annoy the crap out of you - it is a 100% guaranteed fact that you are having a better time than the person pushing it.

So just content yourself with that little nugget of self satisfaction.

And shut the ___ up.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
The stroller problem is out of control right now at MK especially, but its bad in every park. Outside Philharmagic in the MK is by far the worst, the path has been more then cut in half by all the stroller parking. At AK in the line for the safari there is stroller parking about halfway through, and parents hold up the whole line grabbing stuff out of their mini suvs, and then try and run back in line to not lose their place. I know its DW and its better there then anywhere else, but these people need to recognize how many people they are inconveniencing. As far as kids with special needs, i think most people can see the difference between an overweight lazy child who "needs" a stroller in the park. And a child with special needs who really needs it. It doesn't take a genius to see this. Disney is not just for children, or parents with children, adults without kids are there spending hard earned money as well, and maybe would prefer to not be stampeded by enormous strollers packed with everything the family brought on vacation.

toystorymaniacs

My seven year old son has a disability known as sensory processing disorder, it is often found in children with spectrum disorders (autism, etc.) or severe ADHD (my son). You would never know by looking at my son that he has a disability, but the extreme sensory input that is Disney can get overwhelming. Sometimes all he needs is a 15 minute ride in a stroller with a cold drink and a snack, we don't need to go back to the room, in fact trying to leave the park sometimes would make the situation much worse. Yes we try and anticipate his needs but it's real life and you can't always plan for it. Plus there are more of us that just him so we have to consider everyone in our groups needs and desires.

NewfieFan

Let's ban strollers... heck, lets ban children! :rolleyes:

These threads are what needs to be banned!!! :brick:

jhastings74

The stroller problem is out of control right now at MK especially, but its bad in every park. Outside Philharmagic in the MK is by far the worst, the path has been more then cut in half by all the stroller parking. At AK in the line for the safari there is stroller parking about halfway through, and parents hold up the whole line grabbing stuff out of their mini suvs, and then try and run back in line to not lose their place. I know its DW and its better there then anywhere else, but these people need to recognize how many people they are inconveniencing. As far as kids with special needs, i think most people can see the difference between an overweight lazy child who "needs" a stroller in the park. And a child with special needs who really needs it. It doesn't take a genius to see this. Disney is not just for children, or parents with children, adults without kids are there spending hard earned money as well, and maybe would prefer to not be stampeded by enormous strollers packed with everything the family brought on vacation.

Without trying to invalidate your feelings/opinions, might I suggest planning a trip for mid-September? Daytimes at the parks are quite light on the kiddos and strollers...you may enjoy it more.:shrug:

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Of course there's always going to be those "my child has special needs" etc. etc.

If all of those people with these massive strollers pushing 10 year olds around have special needs, that is what I'd call a major crisis that is being ignored.........................or it's just that everyone is trying to do the same thing, even if their kid has no special needs.

kerrie

i use a double stroller side be side so i understand what all of you are saying and thats why Ii always send dh in first to see if there is room for us and others at the same time. if not he and I take turns.
as a stroller user i only have 1 pet peeve. to the people who walk ablvioulsy through disney not paying attention and trip over the stroller, who make comments to me like watch where your going . Firrst off i dont want to use my kid as a ram so I wont hit you but wake the heck up . and I tell them that too.
But as a person who also thinks that people who use strollers should not use them to gain ground by running down people with them or even other children, I would hate to see them drive.
:zipit:
this is the stroller i use but i have a 2&3 year old

toystorymaniacs

Of course there's always going to be those "my child has special needs" etc. etc.

If all of those people with these massive strollers pushing 10 year olds around have special needs, that is what I'd call a major crisis that is being ignored.........................or it's just that everyone is trying to do the same thing, even if their kid has no special needs.
Actually, there are millions of families of children with special needs out there, and yes a lot of times they do feel liek they or there child are being ignored. They have to endure endless fights with school systems, trips to doctors and therapies all to get their children what they need. So, let's cut them a little slack and if you don't have a child with special needs be thankful that you have no idea what thier life is like.

MyLittleAngels

For all of you who like to comlpain about strollers, those of us who use or have used stollers have our own complaints.

People who don't need to push strollers around are often inconsiderate. You cut us off, often forcing us to stop short, or hit you .. Then you'll turn around and be rude because you did something that caused us to hit you. I challenge any of you to borrow a stroller for a short while and see how difficult it is to cross the park with it.

For the record, I don't use a stroller. My youngest was 3 the last time we had one, and I insist my girls walk everywhere without assistance. I only pick up the youngest if we need to move fast, because I feel more comfortable with her on my shoulders than possibly getting her run into by someone who isn't watching where they're going.

Also, the same complaints can be offered for those who need to push a wheelchair. I spent a few days switching off with my sister-in-law pushing my husband's grandmother around the park. Someone actually fell into her lap trying to cut the wheelchair off ... If they would ahve waited a whole second, they could have passed without incident. However, nothing was more important than them getting where they wanted to be, and they fell on a 80+ year old woman because of it.

Trying stopping occasionally, saying, "No, please go ahead", and you'll find those with strollers or wheelchairs a lot easier to handle.

eddiemcgarrigle

I don't get too fussed about strollers, I did have my son in one (a small umbrella type as you folks know it) last year but I can be forgiven as he was only 2 years old. What I don't get are the amount of people who rent out the huge strollers from Disney because if they need one, why didn't they bring one with them? It just seems like they are too lazy to cart around all of the sundry items they have brought to the park with them or that they haven't anticipated that their kids will wilt under the Florida sun or maybe it's both.

What annoys me more are the electric scooter crowd, the people who are afraid to walk. Again, if they have a problem with mobility then why wait until they get to the park before they decide that they might need some help. Surely if their mobility is bad at all, they would have a scooter of their own.

Does anyone remember the clip of the old dear who was determined to force her way out of the Magic Kingdom by continually blasting the horn on her scooter and running into the back of people's legs? Anyhoo, I digress, back to the strollers.

daliseurat

I'm sorry that threads like this upset you. And I have a feeling that you are probably not one of those folks who uses the stroller for a battering ram, clogs up the pathways by stopping in the middle of a crowd, or just plain exhibits rude behavior. Unlike most of the stroller crowd, you have a NEED instead of a want. I'm sure you would much prefer to not have to deal with any of what you deal with. But you do for you child. And you should never feel bad for doing what you have to do.

I do understand what it takes for parents with a child with a NEED. But you must try to understand that these threads are not aimed at you or anyone with genuine need. And I'm sure you must see the stroller abusers, and be affected by them as well.

Every time one of these threads gets going, people who have genuine NEEDS for strollers, or scooters gets upset. Make no mistake, no one is pointing a finger at any of you. As long as you are courteous. Just because someone has a need, doesn't mean they can be discourteous. So try to understand, that no one is annoyed with you for having to do whatever you need to do. It's those who are abusing the privilege, and there are many of them.

So let's break it down.

There are way too many strollers, small and large. The parks are becoming way to crowded with them. How'd this happen?

1. More people are traveling with babies and toddlers, or special needs children who really NEED a stroller. These folks are not the problem.

2. More people are continuing to use strollers for children who no longer need them. While it's a debate about what the cut-off age is, I would argue that if your child is over 4, healthy, with no special needs and doesn't nap, you don't NEED a stroller. You just WANT one. Face it, no one is actually on their feet walking for ten hours straight. We all take breaks, watch shows, and eat. Very few stroller are built for a 7 year old, and yet there they are jammed into them. And this group is growing. This group is one of the problems.

3. More people are using strollers to carry more stuff they feel they need in the parks. On the one trip I used a stroller, I was guilty of this. I had a nice umbrella stroller and hung the diaper bag off the handle. But this isn't really what I'm referring to. I'm talking about people who bring in large strollers that they really use as a cart to haul multiple bags and coolers around. And this group will always say they need a stroller because their 9 year old kids get too tired. Sorry. You don't NEED one. You WANT one. This is another big problem group.

4. Stroller manufacturers have been making large strollers that provide convenience for older children. Here's a real offender. If they didn't make the giant strollers, they would be in the parks in the first place. I don't mean the decent sized double strollers. I mean the big SUV ones that don't fit through the doors, that one person can barely push on a flat sidewalk with no crowd. This is one of the bigger problems.

5. Parents have gotten more and more indulgent, and look for the easiest solution. (We all do it to some degree) This kind of fits in with number 2. Today's child has figured out that the louder they complain, the more their parents will cave in. So the 7 year old who is fully capable of walking the parks gets pushed around in a stroller, and forces the parents to bring a huge assortment of treats and drinks and whatnot into the parks so they can get immediate gratification instantly. Or they explode. Kids have unlimited will-power. We don't. My DD tries this all the time. Since I don't ever give in, she stops.

Now for those of you with a NEED, meaning a child with some type of special need, you are exempt. You are not part of the problem. You are probably being affected by the problem even more that the rest of us. You are also not in the majority.

I can hear it now. "Nobody has the right to judge anyone else" Well, we all do it, everyday. We do it here, and in real life. I'm just acknowledging a problem that is getting worse and trying to figure out why. And I know that when I read other peoples complaints, I try to think if I've ever done any of those things that bothers people. I have, and I have stopped. I have become a much better park guest thanks to threads like this. And I take no offense at anything I disagree with.

I believe that this problem will escalate. I believe Disney, at some point, will have to step in and begin to ban certain types of strollers unless the parent can provide proof of need. Or Disney may decide to ban all outside strollers and force people to rent their strollers just to keep the parks from becoming one big stroller parking lot. I'd hate for this to happen. I'd much prefer that we all just use some better judgement before taking all those strollers to the parks. And really, am I asking too much for everyone to just use some common courtesy when using whatever stroller you do use?

daliseurat

For all of you who like to comlpain about strollers, those of us who use or have used stollers have our own complaints.

People who don't need to push strollers around are often inconsiderate. You cut us off, often forcing us to stop short, or hit you .. Then you'll turn around and be rude because you did something that caused us to hit you. I challenge any of you to borrow a stroller for a short while and see how difficult it is to cross the park with it.

For the record, I don't use a stroller. My youngest was 3 the last time we had one, and I insist my girls walk everywhere without assistance. I only pick up the youngest if we need to move fast, because I feel more comfortable with her on my shoulders than possibly getting her run into by someone who isn't watching where they're going.

Also, the same complaints can be offered for those who need to push a wheelchair. I spent a few days switching off with my sister-in-law pushing my husband's grandmother around the park. Someone actually fell into her lap trying to cut the wheelchair off ... If they would ahve waited a whole second, they could have passed without incident. However, nothing was more important than them getting where they wanted to be, and they fell on a 80+ year old woman because of it.

Trying stopping occasionally, saying, "No, please go ahead", and you'll find those with strollers or wheelchairs a lot easier to handle.

Wish I'd read this before posting my last post. I would amend my last post with the addition of courtesy needing to be used by NON STROLLER folks as well. I have seen many non-stroller folks being rude to a polite stroller person. And I try to do what you suggest, I let the stroller go first. And you are right, most of the time, get a relieved thank you, and the stroller is out of my way faster. So we ALL need to be more courteous and observant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom