The great "stroller" conspiracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
I have a jogging stroller we bring with us that has wheels like that but only seats 1...so half the width.

It folds very flat and is more long than wide....I've seen the strollers you are talking about, though. People want ease of use, but tend to go overboard. We bring the jogger because it has wheels like a bike, and pushes like a dream.

GoofyDadKB

Missing my mind...
Premium Member
In Before The Lock!

attachment.php

TURKEY

I don't have kids, but the new Disney ones are smaller than the old ones. A normal 5 year old can't even get the seatbelt to buckle.

What I cant believe is that some strollers are so long that they can barely fit through the aisles in the stores. I can't tell you how many times I've been hit by these behemoths walking through the parks, shops and other areas on the property. Has anyone seen any of these walking through the World of Disney? Some of them are way to big for that place.

Think this is a little overboard?

Nemo14

Oh Thank God I thought it was just me! My husband and I were just there last week and these huge strollers were every where! They caused such traffic jams, and made standing on the bus very interesting. Even folded up they are big! I remember when I was little my parents had the little umbrella stroller for me an that was it! Another issue I had were people with rolling bags or even carry on's. I can't tell you how many times I almost tripped over these things. What are people packing that they need rolling carry on's in the park? Oh well aside from man eating strollers and rude teenagers we had fun:)

Manda

We were just there this weekend and saw the same thing - not just rolling bags, but full-size rolling suitcases! I didn't even think those were allowed!

daliseurat

This debate never ends. We all have different parenting styles and needs. But really, does ANYONE really need to cart around these massive strollers and bags? I really don't care what anyone else does as long as they are courteous to the rest of us and use some sense. It would be nice if Disney just placed a BAN on strollers of certain sizes. You can get a double stroller that isn't obnoxious. You can. And you don't have to use it as a battering ram.

theRIOT

Sounds like a like someone just needed to rant about something today huh?

It also sounds like the op and several others here don't have children or have any idea what it takes to get through a normal day with one, let alone a day at disney park.

Are some strollers and the parents driving them way too big? Sure. Do you know that family or what they or the child needs. Nope. So let's stop the whining. There are plenty of other threads on this site for that.

Just wait, you'll understand one day.

Cheers!

mousefan1972

We were just there this weekend and saw the same thing - not just rolling bags, but full-size rolling suitcases! I didn't even think those were allowed!

We saw those, too. :brick:

This debate never ends. We all have different parenting styles and needs. But really, does ANYONE really need to cart around these massive strollers and bags? I really don't care what anyone else does as long as they are courteous to the rest of us and use some sense. It would be nice if Disney just placed a BAN on strollers of certain sizes. You can get a double stroller that isn't obnoxious. You can. And you don't have to use it as a battering ram.

That's the word DH and I used, too. And I agree with your post. :)

mousefan1972

It also sounds like the op and several others here don't have children or have any idea what it takes to get through a normal day with one, let alone a day at disney park.

Are some strollers and the parents driving them way too big? Sure. Do you know that family or what they or the child needs. Nope. So let's stop the whining. There are plenty of other threads on this site for that.

Cheers!

Actually, I am a parent to 2 young kids. And we have been to the Disney parks many times with them. And we do NOT need to bring a rolling suitcase or 3 stuffed backpacks with us to the parks to get through our day. For those that do, good luck to them. :wave:

EpcoTim

I love threads like this.

It always takes 3 sides. The people who are level headed about strollers, the ultra anti-stroller crusade and the parents who rant at both groups in order to somehow justify their actions.

Kids get tired. If an 8 year old is tired, its probably time to take a break for a little bit. Hotel, restaurant, where ever-not an excuse to use a stroller. If a kid is throwing a temper tantrum and is angry, upset, etc, probably time for a break. Breaks are necessary with kids and adults too. That dad sleeping in the stroller is priceless. Why parents push their kids to the point of tears always amazes me. The age and size of kids in strollers does too. It's weird. Bringing backpacks full of Oreo's and M&M's. Not only weird, but disgusting too. Nothing like melted sugar to give that kid that really needs a nap a little energy boost.

/devils advocate

Cheers!
I more than understand, I have a 20 y/o, 17 y/o, and a 14 y/o. When we took our kids to a park they were happy in a small folding stroller. Today parents carry way too much especially when the kids are walking and the stroller is full of everything but the child. If you have a child or children with special needs it's understandable. I think that most parents today have a "everyone needs to move and accomodate my children" way of thinking. Have you ever been run into with one of these "SUV" type strollers? I wouldn't necessarily call this whining or ranting. These forums are here to provide discussion for us and to find opinions from others.

purranha

5th trip, 4th trip with double stroller, fold up type with moveable front wheel. We usauly hit two to three parks a day. Going in three weeks with a 7 and 9 and we are bring the stroller. Kids get a chance to "pass out" and we get to keep going. Seeing the cost per day with the WL and park hopper passes we make the most of every trip. Considerate of others when moving. But could not see going with out it.

wesTcoastY

Just back from a few days at the parks and this "stroller" thing is completely out of control.

You can't even call them strollers now because they've grown into small SUV shaped contraptions that people use to carry coolers, food bags, toy bags, backpacks and anything else they can squeeze aboard. We saw several that were so large the kids were standing up in them riding around, like gigantic rolling playpens. And what's worse is half the kids riding in them had to be close to teens, way too big for "strollers".

These things take up entire halls, clog complete shopping lanes, and when more than two get together they close off the whole walkway. Enough is enough with the rolling pack mules.

It's funny you mention this. I was just at the parks over the May 1st weekend and was saying to a friend of mine it seemed that there were more strollers than ever before! Or perhaps I just had not noticed them so much before. I noticed quite a few with kids way too old/big for the strollers.

Animaniac93-98

Next year parents will be able to rent Omnibuses to cart their kids, food, drinks, DVD players, colouring books, crayons, leftover food, bottled water, sunscreen, cooler, extra ice packs, extra hats, nanny (just in case), hand sanitizer, character merchandise, extra clothes, balloons, forklifts, flamethrowers, camping tent, waffle iron, frying pan, flashlight, lamp, lunch boxes, toasters, grills, BBQs, hammer, nails, screws, screwdriver, bodyguard, grenades, barbed wire, land mines and in-laws.

You'll be lucky if the kids see or do anything in the parks.

007mickey

Cheers!

Yeah, it's called a diaper bag and a stroller...not a suitcase and a golf cart. And yes, I have two boys; I've been there and know "what it takes".

WDWRLD

They should just let you pay a Sherpa to carry all of your kids and gear around all day.

That would be great themeing for AK...

Next year parents will be able to rent Omnibuses to cart their kids, food, drinks, DVD players, colouring books, crayons, leftover food, bottled water, sunscreen, cooler, extra ice packs, extra hats, nanny (just in case), hand sanitizer, character merchandise, extra clothes, balloons, forklifts, flamethrowers, camping tent, waffle iron, frying pan, flashlight, lamp, lunch boxes, toasters, grills, BBQs, hammer, nails, screws, screwdriver, bodyguard, grenades, barbed wire, land mines and in-laws.

You'll be lucky if the kids see or do anything in the parks.

They dont need to see anything...they can watch the planning DVD on the flip down onboard DVD entertainment system.

daliseurat

Cheers!

I love a good rant. I hate whining. But frankly, many parents have gotten lazy and come up with any excuse for why they need to bring all that stuff into the park along with the mega-stroller they insist their child who's fully capable of walking just has to have. As I've said, everyone's entitled to do as they see fit as long as they use courtesy. But all the rationalization for why they need this stuff is ridiculous. People want to drag their kids through the parks for the entire day no matter how tired they are and the only way they can manage it is to have a large stroller with bags of stuff. They can't stand listening to their kids complaining about being tired and don't want to spend tons of money on drinks and snacks every five minutes. I get it. It's okay. They want convenience. But this word NEED has to go. Babies and toddlers NEED a stroller. Everyone else simple WANTS one.

I ditched the stroller at age three. My DD walked though the parks fine. Sometimes she rode my shoulders. Better view. When we get tired we stop. I figure we take nice breaks for meals, shows and rides. If she can't make it till the end of the day, we leave. I'd prefer to stay, but, that's the breaks with a small child. We move around much faster without the stroller. And, a kid in a stroller only sees knees and butts. Walking, mine got to see it all. And saw more.

So, yeah, I know exactly what it takes to go through a day with multiple small children in a theme park. Without strollers. And it's not that difficult. And I'm just any ordinary parent.

We all have our styles, but it would be nice for everyone if people started to lose the stroller earlier, than the current trend of keeping them longer and longer.

abug'saunt

We took an umbrella stroller for our 1st trip, used it 2 or 3 times before renting one. The stroller we had didn't have a shade on it. DN wanted the double ones. We have pics of her surrounded by the bags of our purchases, a small ice chest with water bottles, and a backpack that had a change of clothes for the little one, granola bars, homemade beef jerky, video camera, digital camera, shoes, jacket, and a first aid kit. The next 2 trips we rented the strollers again. As we learned about staying onsite and package delivery, the stroller had more room for the growing child. We have always tried to be aware of those around us, said excuse me when we wanted by, and never ran into anyone outside our own family :lookaroun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom