The great "stroller" conspiracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCMO

The special needs aspect of this discussion is such a red herring. This likely represents a fraction of a single percent of the "problem".

I think it is really fascinating just how much society has changed in this area over the last 15 years or so. People just didn't carry all of this stuff in the past. Often times people without kids might not ever even notice how much this has transformed, its just that WDW happens to be one of the few places where it really pushes its way into view. The fact that a family with two small kids nowadays feel they NEED a van or large suv in order to haul all of the stuff around just boggles my mind. People just seem to take it for granted that all of this stuff is necessary and the notion that it might actually be possible, let alone easier, to get around and function with a more minimalist approach is blaspheme.

KCMO

Kids need a lot of stuff to come with them (diapers, wipes, bottles, snacks (preferably in a cooler), toys to keep them amused in lines, first aid stuff... etc etc).

There is that "NEED" word again. Amazingly my folks managed to get me around to all sorts of places with an umbrella stroller, no snacks, no cooler, no toys to keep me amused in lines, not first aid stuff, no etc. etc.

Did human children somehow change genetically the last couple years such that they now NEED these items wherever they go?

devoy1701

Sounds like a like someone just needed to rant about something today huh?

It also sounds like the op and several others here don't have children or have any idea what it takes to get through a normal day with one, let alone a day at disney park.

Are some strollers and the parents driving them way too big? Sure. Do you know that family or what they or the child needs. Nope. So let's stop the whining. There are plenty of other threads on this site for that.

Just wait, you'll understand one day.

Cheers!

:rolleyes:

5th trip, 4th trip with double stroller, fold up type with moveable front wheel. We usauly hit two to three parks a day. Going in three weeks with a 7 and 9 and we are bring the stroller. Kids get a chance to "pass out" and we get to keep going. Seeing the cost per day with the WL and park hopper passes we make the most of every trip. Considerate of others when moving. But could not see going with out it.

Kind of ridiculous to bring a stroller for a 7 and 9 yr old.

I can only speak for myself! I will never question why a child is in a stroller no matter how old. I don't know that family and that child's needs. And I don't think anyone on here would ever state that Disney should ban strollers all together. My observation from this last trip is that the strollers seemed to double in size. And yes there were moments that I got fustrated because these huge things (and the rolling bags) hurt me or almost ran into me. But I didn't say anything to the person nor give a look. That is what happens when you go to Disney. You are going to get hit with a stroller or wheelchair, someone will cut you off in line, someone will try to squeeze in your spot 5 minutes before the parade. It's all part of the package now a days. But you can't let it ruin your trip. You are just cheating yourself then. Do I wish people would use a little more common sense with their rolling luggage and or strollers? Yes. But what can you do except move on. I don't think the OP ever meant for this to be taken so personally it's just a discussion. And I am sure just as us non- stroller people get fustrated the stroller people can get fustrated just as well. It's fun to be able to check your brain at the door when entering Disney but you can't leave behind your common sense nor your common courtesy.
Manda:)

Certainly would be nice if double wide strollers were banned...

I'm wondering if the OP has small children.

Kids need a lot of stuff to come with them (diapers, wipes, bottles, snacks (preferably in a cooler), toys to keep them amused in lines, first aid stuff... etc etc).

I agree that strollers two abreast are totally annoying, and I agree the strollers are large. On the other hand, I just want to say deal with it. At least you aren't the parents receiving glares all the time for simply taking your young one into the park. I would think that would be pretty annoying too.

No. Kids do not NEED toys to keep them amused in line. Diapers, wipes, bottles, and snacks are all understandable, but you only need enough to get you through the day...and that can all fit in one bag. They can bring their stuffed Mickey too if they're going to be the ones carrying it all day.

I can't believe people who come to parks nowadays with a family or group of people and the kids are playing gameboy or listening to iPods or whatnot. So much for a family vacation...I shouldn't have to tell you that you've wasted your money on your family experience because everything they're doing they could have done at home. You want to keep them entertained in line...talk to your kid, play around with them, interact with your family. Don't rely on toys and technology. And I'm not just talking about toddlers, I'm talking about those teenagers too. Pretty sad if you don't have enough in common with your kids that you can't carryon a 45 minute conversation with them while you're waiting in a line.

sarabi

There is that "NEED" word again. Amazingly my folks managed to get me around to all sorts of places with an umbrella stroller, no snacks, no cooler, no toys to keep me amused in lines, not first aid stuff, no etc. etc.

Did human children somehow change genetically the last couple years such that they now NEED these items wherever they go?

You know, I actually wouldn't doubt there was some genetic change. There's more ADD being diagnosed these days too, but that argument is sufficient for another thread and I won't discuss it anymore here.

Allow me to rephrase. *I * feel I need that stuff to keep myself sane by keeping the kidlet sane. A lot of parents do. I invite you to take a two year old into the park with an umbrella stroller, no drinks, no snacks, and no toys though. I think that might be interesting.

Bottom line to what I am saying is there's a lot of judgment being passed about something that seems to a relatively minor annoyance. Let it go. You don't know that parent's needs. You don't know that kid's needs. You don't know that person using the power-scooter's needs. You only know your own needs.

njDizFan

It definately seems like a new phenomenon has occured over the last few years that I never bought into:
I am a single Dad of a 6 year old girl and I always thought I was the strange one when I went to the local park. When we go to the playground(imagine this)we dont bring anything. I go there and the Moms(or Dads) have 3 different snacks, bottled water, a jacket, wipes, hand santizer, a full first aid kit , a handheld video game. Not to mention the parents Lattes, PDA's etc....
we are not going to be gone for a week. If it's real hot and you get thirsty use the water fountain.

These same rules apply to WDW. True you will probobly be gone longer then an hour or 2, so throw a couple of waters in a backpack and schedule your rests and ADRs accordingly. kids can be self-suffiecient and surely can walk the park by age 4 or 5.

We are an obese country for a reason. Let's not blame the stroller manufacturers, we're the ones that buy those couches with wheels.

SleepingMonk

Original Poster
.... I invite you to take a two year old into the park with an umbrella stroller, no drinks, no snacks, and no toys though. I think that might be interesting....

My parents did it with three boys back in the 70's, and we did the same with ours twenty years later.

Get tired? Take a break.

Can't carry your child? Hit the gym.

abug'saunt

Strollers. In 2007, a stroller was rented for my then 6 yr old niece. She even used some of her own money to get it. Did she need it? No, not really. She did do some walking. Quite a bit actually. But for her, knowing that if she got tired and there was a stroller for her to sit in was comforting. When she wasn't in it, it was nice to take a break from carrying the backpack around. And when she was in it, she wanted the backpacks to use as pillows and leg rests. She even napped. And to be perfectly honest, when we were planning the trip, we were not planning on getting a stroller. Even took my niece on long walks to get her ready for all the walking. But, when we got to the parks, everything changed. She asked her mom, saying that she would walk most of the time but wanted it just in case. And it was cheaper to rent for entire trip than on a daily basis. As for going back to the room for rests, we only did it once during our 2005 Christmas trip. Nobody really rested, not even the child. Never tried it again.

The backpacks. We all took backpacks. Inside each were granola bars, fruit snacks, cell phones, walkie-talkies, and a water bottle. In my niece's small bag, she also kept her autograph book and pen, a change of clothes just in case, and her DS for standing in loooong lines. I carried the largest bag containing an extra pair of shoes (had blisters and changing midday was refreshing for my feet), a first aid kit, my Passporter travel book/keeper, pen, my camera, my wallet, sunscreen, chapstick, homemade jerky, a sweatshirt, and my PSP. DH had a camel pack with water bladder, home made jerky, camera, cigars, and wallet. FiL was only one who didn't carry any excess baggage, even stopped taking his own camera after day 2 of 9 day trip. Mom and sis had small backpacks like DN and with their wallets, smokes (just mom), and DS (mom) and PSP (sis). By end of day, any small purchases (jewelery, smallish gifts, etc) would also be added to bags. Did we go overboard? Probably. Being on a tight budget, doing the DDP, and with advice recieved from these very boards, we decided to bring the extras. Snacks were consumed, water drank.

This next trip, just DH and I. No stroller. We both will use camel packs. Inside: water, 1st aid kit (I blister), snacks, camera, sunscreen, antibacterial spray (flu virus), chapstick, and iPod (with downloaded WDW trivia, Disney music, and my ADR's). So go ahead, judge me (and my family). But I'll be the over weight woman that said 'excuse me' as I passed by you, 'thank you' for holding the door open even if it wasn't really for me, and apologizing if I stepped on your toe or hit you with my bag. As for my iPod, Disney music and trivia will help me while standing in long lines waiting to ride and I won't miss a reservation either.

Lucky

Bottom line to what I am saying is there's a lot of judgment being passed about something that seems to a relatively minor annoyance. Let it go. You don't know that parent's needs. You don't know that kid's needs. You don't know that person using the power-scooter's needs. You only know your own needs.

Hey, this is the internet. No sensible observations like that are allowed.

GMan123

Next year parents will be able to rent Omnibuses to cart their kids, food, drinks, DVD players, colouring books, crayons, leftover food, bottled water, sunscreen, cooler, extra ice packs, extra hats, nanny (just in case), hand sanitizer, character merchandise, extra clothes, balloons, forklifts, flamethrowers, camping tent, waffle iron, frying pan, flashlight, lamp, lunch boxes, toasters, grills, BBQs, hammer, nails, screws, screwdriver, bodyguard, grenades, barbed wire, land mines and in-laws.

You'll be lucky if the kids see or do anything in the parks.

Uh, oh, I packed all this stuff and I don't have enough room for my camera!

Or my wife!!! :p

Glasgow

I can't understand people wanting to lug around those huge strollers .. bringing them to the resort, toting them around on the buses, then loading them down with all sort of bags, packs and kids while in the parks.

As parents know, you just can't take little kids w/o having a stroller, but man .. just get a little umbrella stroller (unless you have an infant, of course). I was the happiest person alive when we were able to downsize and use a little tiny umbrella stroller on our last trip!

raven

I don't complain about the number of strollers in WDW, just how they are parked in bottle-neck areas. I don't remember the last time I was able to actually walk next to Mickey's Philharmagic.

Management has come up with a few better places to store strollers when people are on attractions but haven't really enforced the rules (as seen here)
WDWspring2008305.jpg

WDWspring2008306.jpg

These pictures are over a year old but depending on who's working the entrance of The Land you will see the same thing happening. I've personally only seen the rule enforced a couple of times.

The other problem I have is that some guests insist on using them as baracades and battering rams. Three weeks ago durring Easter week there was a family changing a diaper in a stroller dead smack in the middle of the walkway between Peter Pan and It's A Small World. The family of 8 all stood around blocking about an 8 foot square peice of the walkway. Evidently they thought that no one would mind the traffic jams they caused. :mad:

Kristamouse

I really want a good answer here. Not rude comments. I had 3 kids in 4 years. I use a tandam (one in front of the other) not a double wide. What do you expect me to do? Give me some other options.

eddiemcgarrigle

I invite you to take a two year old into the park with an umbrella stroller, no drinks, no snacks, and no toys though. I think that might be interesting.

I almost managed to do just that last year with my two year old son. Umbrella stroller, drinks bought when required, snacks bought when required and a single small teddy (that he wouldn't be seperated from). It was more than interesting, it was easy.

goreesha

:ROFLOL:

Oh yes, we aren't nearly PC enough as a nation. We really need to be even more tolerant of every imaginable penchant and peculiarity.

I'm ok, you're ok.....group hug!

I'm not talking about being PC. In fact, PC is a symptom of the problem. People are very easily offended, angered, irritated by anything anybody else does that they don't like. Nobody can just take anything in stride anymore.

KCMO

I'm not talking about being PC. In fact, PC is a symptom of the problem. People are very easily offended, angered, irritated by anything anybody else does that they don't like. Nobody can just take anything in stride anymore.

Thats a two way street though - as a society we have become way too willing to inconvenience everyone around us rather than let ourselves be inconvenienced. Stopping in the middle of a path and causing a traffic jam that delays hundreds of people rather than taking the extra fifteen seconds to stear off to the side for your snack/map consultation/whatever is the epitome of self-centered-ness. Is it appropriate to have a road rage style incident in response? - No. But that doesn't excuse the underlying behavior either.

Should I slow down and shake my fist at the lady who almost drives into me on the morning commute because she was putting her eye make up on while driving? - No. But it doesn't mean her behavior was acceptable or should go uncensored either.

jakeman

I really want a good answer here. Not rude comments. I had 3 kids in 4 years. I use a tandam (one in front of the other) not a double wide. What do you expect me to do? Give me some other options.
This is going to sound rude and I really don't mean for it to, but why not wait until they are old enough not to need a stroller?

kadesha

This is going to sound rude and I really don't mean for it to, but why not wait until they are old enough not to need a stroller?

Ha! That is funny! So basically let's ban little kids from Disney? Before 5 or 6 years old, when they still believe that everything is "real" is when it's most magical for them!

I don't understand why people want to push around big hoopdy strollers and massive loads of stuff either. I have 2 kids and look for the smallest stroller I can find to accommodate them. DH wears a backpack with our sunblock, change of clothes, and bottled water. That's it. I couldn't imagine having to lug around more than that.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Sorry folks, all personal space has been made null and void so we can make more room for strollers.

Stroller_Hell.JPG

hah great picture. This is exactly what the problem is. What percentage of these people have special needs children? This whole thing is ridiculous, I am sure no one on this board is attacking special needs parents. This stroller problem is getting to a ridiculous level. There really should be some kind of limit to the size of your stroller and the amount of things you can bring into the park. I have 2 younger brothers and my parents managed to take us all 4, 6, 8, to disney with NO stroller for 10 days. Tired we took breaks, thirsty we bought water or found a fountain, bored we talked. Have kids changed that much in the last 15 - 20 years that this can not be done anymore? and if they have, then there is a huge problem developing that will rear its ugly head when these coddled children grow up, if they ever do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom