The Frozen 'Initiative' ...

lazyboy97o

But we NEED to care, because Disney Admin is just hurling billions at the Asian market parks, in the form of new Rides and ride systems, ip's that the US parks will NEVER see. We need to step up and shout out that Disney needs to take care of it's US parks, and let the foreign parks grow at their own pace. Why should the cream of profits off the US parks pay for the next ride in TOKYO!!! US businesses are treating the paying US public as a cash cow, and sending the better products to their foreign franchises. Just do a little digging into the menu of Foreign McDonalds...see how much better their food selections are!!! We in the US are still fighting to get rid of the 'pink slime' burgers !!

Disney Admin needs to know that WE WANT A FROZEN PRESENCE IN THE PARKS...BUT WE WANT TO KEEP MAELSTROM, TOO!!
Disney owns 0% of Tokyo and pays 0% for additions there. They own less than 50% of all of the other international resorts and typically pay that share for new additions.

You have to wonder why they aren't doing this with Star Wars.
Because the Queen Amidala look is just kind of weird?

FigmentJedi

Will Toontown cease to exist anywhere? Not that it's an awesome and amazing time to hang in Mickey's house, but that's kind of depressing IMO... since it all started with a mouse...
Toontown will still exist in Tokyo, alongside an actually scary Snow White ride, Magic Kingdom's old Tomorrowland entrance and a Haunted Mansion that's completely free of the post-2005 updates.

dreamfinder

Because Disney already has stuff for Star Wars that they throw together and it doesn't make as much money as the Frozen stuff that is thrown together?

Eh, they already know that Star Wars brings in loads of money despite no recent movies. It's a known cash cow they don't want to kill (yet). Frozen despite it's recent success, is a long term unknown, so it's a grab it while you can type scenario.

SirLink

Because Disney already has stuff for Star Wars that they throw together and it doesn't make as much money as the Frozen stuff that is thrown together?

I guess they don't know the long term health of Frozen, guess it'll probably get killed off by this time next year then we can back to next WDAS flavor of the month.

ABQ

Meh, I'm sick of nothing but news from Anasleim and Asia, give me WDW news, that's why I come to WDW Magic, not for what's going to happen in Tokyo or maybe Shanghai one day or even France. Don't care, there's a sub forum here for those places, but not this section.

EPCOTCenterLover

Just wanted to point out that the bois at Micechat put out an update this morning, which was loaded with accurate (now anyway) info and much of it was stuff that I had already either told you (like this Frozen Initiative ...although they left out the Tokyo part AND Star Wars taking Toontown a well as Shanghai issues).

Because of the nature of that site and message boards versus a column, they'll get a whole lot more 'Look what Micechat broke this morning'' ... such is life for a lonely Spirit in a MAGICal land.

As for Frozen, they are 100% accurate. Those are all the plans. They are all temporary, or what counts at Disney. We all know the Frozen Summer is going to become the Frozen fall at TPFKaTD-MGMS.
That's ok, Spirit. Your friends and readers know how long ago you broke the news. ;)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Once I saw the pics of Tom Staggs, Bruce V, and a bus full of execs being toured around the DHS offerings I could see this one coming.

Question is, will it still be relevant?
That is the question.

Fast tracked nowerdays for Team Disney is anything but. Regular build is even less.

WDWFigment

The news on Shanghai isn't good, but it is accurate. When discussing my frustration with not being able to make plans for the opening next year with a trusted source, I was told to ''head somewhere other than Shanghai unless you want to see an unopened resort under construction in constant chaos'' ... I don't feel comfortable saying much more other than there is no way this doesn't open before Iger and His Ego leave Disney in 22 months. Yet, 2015 is off the table and my source's best guess is a rushed March or April opening with many things not finished. I am not sure this affects anyone here beyond @Lee and @WDWFigment as I don't think anyone else will go for the opening. Hell, I'd bet that 99.4% of all here will never go ...

The more I read about the far-reaching consequences of the property bubble in Mainland China (not just with regard to Shanghai Disneyland, or even just in Shanghai), the more I am concerned about the construction of this project.

Additionally, I have concerns that the park will never be in as pristine of condition as it is on opening day (I know this is true of every park to an extent, but it seems like a more legitimate concern in China). I also figure there's a solid chance this is the last opportunity I will ever have to see the opening day of another castle park.

On the other hand, if the park is an incomplete mess on "opening day," is it really worth a trip to Shanghai? I also want to visit Beijing and would tack on an open-jaw in HK and a stopover in Tokyo, so I'll go regardless at some point, but opening day is looking less likely...

WDW1974

Original Poster
But old is cool, recently current is not.

Opening up an attraction based on Snow White is like releasing something based on The Beatles - nobody is ever going to complain on that choice. Opening up something big on Frozen could be like basing it on One Direction.

I really wouldn't like to call it.

I dunno. You can't build worrying about whether the IP has staying power. You can't wait almost a quarter of a century to build a Little Mermaid ride, for instance (and one that really is pretty lousy).

You need to build quality attractions and not worry about the IP carrying them.

How popular is 101 Dalmatians or Jungle Book today (beyond the fan community)? Yet I can think of some awesome rides that could be created based upon them.

I am beyond tired of Frozen, but to deny that it is a cultural touchstone for many people today would be the same ignorance that folks use to dismiss Harry Potter and Star Wars. And, again, none of that matters. You build an amazing world of Frozen, then people are going to want to visit it even if they've long let go of the film.

Last edited:

Lee

Adventurer
Since I am discussing the Micechat Frozen comments, I'll tackle a few other things they brought out today.

They totally nailed the entrance for Star Wars Land in the newly configured DL of .... who knows? 2022 at this rate. I had been told there were concepts where the ranch area remains, but it appears that post Diagon Alley, Staggs and Co. decided on the larger, grander plans. As to when we'll see any of it ... yeah ...

The news on Shanghai isn't good, but it is accurate. When discussing my frustration with not being able to make plans for the opening next year with a trusted source, I was told to ''head somewhere other than Shanghai unless you want to see an unopened resort under construction in constant chaos'' ... I don't feel comfortable saying much more other than there is no way this doesn't open before Iger and His Ego leave Disney in 22 months. Yet, 2015 is off the table and my source's best guess is a rushed March or April opening with many things not finished. I am not sure this affects anyone here beyond @Lee and @WDWFigment as I don't think anyone else will go for the opening. Hell, I'd bet that 99.4% of all here will never go ...

Did anything surprise me from Dusty and Co?

The idea that Disney's Marvel RnRC concept for Paris is being floated in Anaheim is something I haven't heard about, but really it shouldn't be. It's a cheap, fast answer to adding Marvel and adding thrills. So, yeah, it will probably happen ... again ... maybe by 2020?

And a new MuppetVision? That's totally news to me. If they are going to stay, then they need a new show and not a film that's been playing at WDW since 1991 and at DCA since 2001.
No Shanghai next year?!???

But...but...you promised!
:arghh:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Responding out of order because ... well, I can ... and because I saw this and it is a topic important to me.

The more I read about the far-reaching consequences of the property bubble in Mainland China (not just with regard to Shanghai Disneyland, or even just in Shanghai), the more I am concerned about the construction of this project.

Additionally, I have concerns that the park will never be in as pristine of condition as it is on opening day (I know this is true of every park to an extent, but it seems like a more legitimate concern in China). I also figure there's a solid chance this is the last opportunity I will ever have to see the opening day of another castle park.

On the other hand, if the park is an incomplete mess on "opening day," is it really worth a trip to Shanghai? I also want to visit Beijing and would tack on an open-jaw in HK and a stopover in Tokyo, so I'll go regardless at some point, but opening day is looking less likely...

They have been rushing this for a while. People getting pulled off of other projects etc. ... But much like the entire negotiation process, Disney has been woefully prepared to deal with the reality of what it is like to do business in the mainland and with the CCP as your partner/overseer.

Since posting a few hours ago, I got a note saying that Shendi and Disney are not at all on the same page. Shendi wants to open all at once. Disney feels that since things are so far behind that getting the main hotel and the DD-like area open as early as possible (next fall) would help build excitement for the project and that Bob and Co. could spin that this was the idea the entire time (a la WDW projects like Fantasyland and Pandora) or even that they added time to add extra attractions (yep, Toy Story carnie rides adds 18 months to a build of this magnitude, for sure!) ... This info is from someone who isn't a regular source and I'm not able to confirm it right now, yet it sounds exactly like what I would expect and follows from what I have heard personally and what Micechat posted today.

I don't know that I agree about the pristine point. It seems vaguely anti-Chinese, which I'm assuming wasn't your intent. It sounds like ''those people don't know how to act in a theme park and will trash the place'' ... and having lived in Beijing and Guangzhou, I don't agree with that.

I want to be there on Opening Day. But Opening Day for the park. If they decide to open a hotel in October of next year, most of the Disney Town area and a preview center on-site, I sure am not flying across the globe for that. But I would point out, Tom, that DL was a steaming mess on July 18, 1955 (the real opening day). And I'd love to travel in a time machine back to that.

I guess I'm frustrated to see what is going on in Shanghai because having worked some huge projects over there, I know that ... well, things could be done better and that Disney could have better people working behind the scenes ...

And while hopping around (like the open jaws you like and can be a great value) sounds fun and is fine if your goal is largely to visit Disney resorts in Asia, I just don't see myself doing HKDL, SDL and TDL all in one trip. It might be fun, but it would leave very little (if any) time to explore anything beyond the theme parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom