The Frozen 'Initiative' ...

wdwgreek

I am reading throughout Twitter that American idol closing will be linked to a permanent frozen sing a long show? Is this the "attraction" Spirit is alluding too?

MrDee

certainly Frozen is a movie that is very adaptable to a theme park environment so i think it would be a huge win for Disney...just look at the cheap/cheesy summer thing they did and how big it was

I just saw the opening ceremony parade last week and didn't think it looked cheap or cheesy. My girls loved it, of course, so win/win. Even my boys liked it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Flynn, haven't you figured out yet Frozen is the new Cars--the insanely successful film online fanbois love to hate? I explained my theory why in a Spirited thread a couple weeks ago, but the irrational hate has just grown stronger since.

I chock it up to the youtube 'reviews' and 'whats wrong with' impact. There are a lot of brands out there in youtube land that have made a impact in how people perceive things and now everyone loves to be the movie cynic. Now its far more interesting for people to try to over analyze elements mimicking their youtube impression-er.

Combine that with 'too cool for school' .. and you get people that are eager to hate on the popular thing, and are armed with minutia to try to justify it to everyone else.

RebeccaMcK

True, and most DLers still hated it. I thought it was fun for filler, and at least it got some rarely seen characters out on a daily basis - plus, air conditioning.
Couldn't figure out how to keep the other reply quote with this, oh well. It was fun filler - I'm glad we did it when we did, then. Had a feeling it wasn't around any more. It was fun to see the rarer characters and cross them off our "photo op" list. We had been at DLR for 4 days already and the dance party was on our final day, so it wasn't taking time away from anything else we could have done. Also, someone mentioned Frozen-related merchandise (holiday decor, craft items) - I saw a great center display of Frozen stuff (lanyards, coin purses, backpacks, etc.) in a Sanrio store at an outlet mall...or if I've got the wrong name for the shop, it was basically one of those places overflowing with Hello Kitty items. Better late than never, and the stuff still sells.

71jason

I'm suprised no has said anything about Blizzard Beach! Add Olaf and the princesses everywhere and u have a Frozen Water Park! LOL

That joke has been made many, many times online and on Twitter. Always by people who have little or no experience with the park other than its name.

morningstar

Especially Pocahontas IMO. Watched it on TV for the first time since I was a kid last night. Easily the worst one of the bunch, I even enjoy Mulan more. Again, just my opinion.

I don't consider Pocahontas part of the renaissance. It's the beginning of the decline. I find it visually pretty good but story wise meh. I consider the renaissance to be just 4 movies: Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and The Lion King.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Just wanted to point out that the bois at Micechat put out an update this morning, which was loaded with accurate (now anyway) info and much of it was stuff that I had already either told you (like this Frozen Initiative ...although they left out the Tokyo part AND Star Wars taking Toontown a well as Shanghai issues).

Because of the nature of that site and message boards versus a column, they'll get a whole lot more 'Look what Micechat broke this morning'' ... such is life for a lonely Spirit in a MAGICal land.

As for Frozen, they are 100% accurate. Those are all the plans. They are all temporary, or what counts at Disney. We all know the Frozen Summer is going to become the Frozen fall at TPFKaTD-MGMS.

SirLink

Just wanted to point out that the bois at Micechat put out an update this morning, which was loaded with accurate (now anyway) info and much of it was stuff that I had already either told you (like this Frozen Initiative ...although they left out the Tokyo part AND Star Wars taking Toontown a well as Shanghai issues).

Because of the nature of that site and message boards versus a column, they'll get a whole lot more 'Look what Micechat broke this morning'' ... such is life for a lonely Spirit in a MAGICal land.

As for Frozen, they are 100% accurate. Those are all the plans. They are all temporary, or what counts at Disney. We all know the Frozen Summer is going to become the Frozen fall at TPFKaTD-MGMS.

So Spirit what is the tipping point when consumers and Disney go onto the new flavor of the week?

phillip sugarman

Spirit, how long is the Frozen stuff going to be at dca? The Disneyland management should be spending their money on trying to come up with a permanent attraction for Frozen instead of cheap, short term and quick attractions.

Last edited:

Soarin4Disney

Just some added info I didn't have time for earlier:

If I could armchair Imagineer a bit (something I generally despise because it always seems to be stuff of fifth gates or moving attractions from park to park ... Small World to EPCOT anyone?), I can't fathom a more perfect major addition to MK than Frozen. A park that lacks capacity and (unlike other WDW gates) actually needs more every day. A park that has been denuded over the last 15 years and feels like a concrete wasteland. A park where the IP would fit perfectly.

Just imagine a giant show building way yonder in Fantasyland. One that looks like an ice palace. Inside, multiple rides (think what was done with Mermaid Lagoon in TDS) ... a few cheap carnie types ... you know like Sven's Special Sleds ... one E-Ticket type attraction ... a QSR ... a shop or two ... all with ICE Cold AC in a perpetual twilight sky. Again, if I can spitball this all in 10 minutes, then why can't WDI's talent come up with better and why can't Iger, Staggs, Rasulo, Crofton and Co see the big picture here?

You are HIRED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, I actually don't have the authority to do that, but I like your IDEAS. Love the thought of Small World in Epcot, right at the beginning of the World Showcase. Perfect place for it.

Now, tell me....what are you planning for Star Wars Land in DHS? ;)

WDW1974

Original Poster
Since I am discussing the Micechat Frozen comments, I'll tackle a few other things they brought out today.

They totally nailed the entrance for Star Wars Land in the newly configured DL of .... who knows? 2022 at this rate. I had been told there were concepts where the ranch area remains, but it appears that post Diagon Alley, Staggs and Co. decided on the larger, grander plans. As to when we'll see any of it ... yeah ...

The news on Shanghai isn't good, but it is accurate. When discussing my frustration with not being able to make plans for the opening next year with a trusted source, I was told to ''head somewhere other than Shanghai unless you want to see an unopened resort under construction in constant chaos'' ... I don't feel comfortable saying much more other than there is no way this doesn't open before Iger and His Ego leave Disney in 22 months. Yet, 2015 is off the table and my source's best guess is a rushed March or April opening with many things not finished. I am not sure this affects anyone here beyond @Lee and @WDWFigment as I don't think anyone else will go for the opening. Hell, I'd bet that 99.4% of all here will never go ...

Did anything surprise me from Dusty and Co?

The idea that Disney's Marvel RnRC concept for Paris is being floated in Anaheim is something I haven't heard about, but really it shouldn't be. It's a cheap, fast answer to adding Marvel and adding thrills. So, yeah, it will probably happen ... again ... maybe by 2020?

And a new MuppetVision? That's totally news to me. If they are going to stay, then they need a new show and not a film that's been playing at WDW since 1991 and at DCA since 2001.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Oh, and while we are at it, I did like that Micechat yet again confirmed what I have been telling you about no MM+ at DLR.

I don't care what their plans were. I don't care about folks with NGE titles working in cubicles at TDA. I don't care how the BRAND advocates want it.

It isn't happening. That's a very, very good thing.

morningstar

It's kind of funny that Rapunzel/tangled has been abandoned in all of this. I thought that movie did pretty well but it seems like its been long forgotten already by both the company and the general public.

What, abandoned? It got a restroom! What other movie has gotten its own restroom only a couple years after its theatrical run?

Pixie VaVoom

Don't care what they do at the other parks outside the US, as I'll never be visiting those. People around here have short memories. All they need to do is announce a Star Wars roller coaster and people won't even care anymore about maelstrom, avatar or frozen or any of that.

But we NEED to care, because Disney Admin is just hurling billions at the Asian market parks, in the form of new Rides and ride systems, ip's that the US parks will NEVER see. We need to step up and shout out that Disney needs to take care of it's US parks, and let the foreign parks grow at their own pace. Why should the cream of profits off the US parks pay for the next ride in TOKYO!!! US businesses are treating the paying US public as a cash cow, and sending the better products to their foreign franchises. Just do a little digging into the menu of Foreign McDonalds...see how much better their food selections are!!! We in the US are still fighting to get rid of the 'pink slime' burgers !!

Disney Admin needs to know that WE WANT A FROZEN PRESENCE IN THE PARKS...BUT WE WANT TO KEEP MAELSTROM, TOO!!

asianway

But we NEED to care, because Disney Admin is just hurling billions at the Asian market parks, in the form of new Rides and ride systems, ip's that the US parks will NEVER see. We need to step up and shout out that Disney needs to take care of it's US parks, and let the foreign parks grow at their own pace. Why should the cream of profits off the US parks pay for the next ride in TOKYO!!! US businesses are treating the paying US public as a cash cow, and sending the better products to their foreign franchises. Just do a little digging into the menu of Foreign McDonalds...see how much better their food selections are!!! We in the US are still fighting to get rid of the 'pink slime' burgers !!

Disney Admin needs to know that WE WANT A FROZEN PRESENCE IN THE PARKS...BUT WE WANT TO KEEP MAELSTROM, TOO!!
No US money goes to pay for rides in Tokyo. Totally separate company, different philosophy. And it shows

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom