The Frozen 'Initiative' ...

GLaDOS

Flynn, haven't you figured out yet Frozen is the new Cars--the insanely successful film online fanbois love to hate? I explained my theory why in a Spirited thread a couple weeks ago, but the irrational hate has just grown stronger since.

I think people hate the Frozen hype more than Frozen itself. I think most are fine with the movie, it is a well put together film for the most part, but the constant barrage of Frozen everywhere this year has worn on a lot of people. But I think nearly everyone realizes it should be in the parks.

Cars is just a mediocre movie franchise.

71jason

I honestly don't know if it is. Once the next big animated movie comes out, from whichever studio, will Frozen be forgotten, or at least put on the back burner? I can't decide either way, but I'm not convinced it is here to stay. We'll see. Glad I'm not making the decisions about how far to go with it.

I agree these things are impossible to predict. That said, I can't remember the last animated feature to sell out merch not only in the resorts but also big box stores like Target. It's also the highest grossing animated movie ever. Tangled didn't come close to either of those accomplishments, yet Rapunzel still seems to have somewhat of a following, enough that she deserved more than bathrooms.

This is certainly the best bet TWDC has had at an evergreen IP in years, you can't blame them for trying to capitalize on that.

ABQ

I think people hate the Frozen hype more than Frozen itself. I think most are fine with the movie, it is a well put together film for the most part, but the constant barrage of Frozen everywhere this year has worn on a lot of people. But I think nearly everyone realizes it should be in the parks.

Cars is just a mediocre movie franchise.
I've been trying to figure out if Frozen is as overhyped and overexposed in, at least, WDW as one just coming to these forums would believe? Originally there were the massive long lines at the meet and great in Epcot, then it moved to the MK and around the same time a float or presence on a float in the parade was added. Then the summer celebration at the HS. Is that really as massive a presence for a successful film? Is it in every guests face for their entire visit? Or is it simply the vocal group here that is disliking it and making it seem so over the top all over the place when it really isn't?

GLaDOS

I've been trying to figure out if Frozen is as overhyped and overexposed in, at least, WDW as one just coming to these forums would believe? Originally there were the massive long lines at the meet and great in Epcot, then it moved to the MK and around the same time a float or presence on a float in the parade was added. Then the summer celebration at the HS. Is that really as massive a presence for a successful film? Is it in every guests face for their entire visit? Or is it simply the vocal group here that is disliking it and making it seem so over the top all over the place when it really isn't?

I'm not speaking of the parks. I'm talking about EVERYWHERE. You can't go anywhere without hearing "Let It Go", ABC is running TV specials and putting the characters into Once Upon a Time, county fairs have knock off Anna and Elsas, etc.

RebeccaMcK

That Stage 17 building over in DCA was, at least on certain days and maybe not any more (wasn't publicized much), having a characters dance party. We went in there in October 2012 on a Friday (the only day of that week it was happening, and I had to ask a CM how to find the place) and about 8 to 10 characters came out in shifts (after 1-2 hours, the characters would bid farewell and then others would come out) and danced with the kids while a DJ played music and highlighted each character (spotlight & special song). No autographs but it was fun to get pics of the kids dancing with Cruella deVil, Big Bad Wolf, Genie, Timon, Captain Hook, Smee, Baloo, King Louie, etc., in a dance club atmosphere. I'd be happy to see "Frozen" do something there though, even if they also take over Muppetvision next door for a while.

asianway

That Stage 17 building over in DCA was, at least on certain days and maybe not any more (wasn't publicized much), having a characters dance party. We went in there in October 2012 on a Friday (the only day of that week it was happening, and I had to ask a CM how to find the place) and about 8 to 10 characters came out in shifts (after 1-2 hours, the characters would bid farewell and then others would come out) and danced with the kids while a DJ played music and highlighted each character (spotlight & special song). No autographs but it was fun to get pics of the kids dancing with Cruella deVil, Big Bad Wolf, Genie, Timon, Captain Hook, Smee, Baloo, King Louie, etc., in a dance club atmosphere. I'd be happy to see "Frozen" do something there though, even if they also take over Muppetvision next door for a while.
That dance party has been gone about a year now. Maybe 18 months-but it was far better than any dance party WDW has ever put on.

Mike S

I most definitely think it is here to stay. I would be mightily surprised if I didn't see Frozen in the local theatres this Winter/Holiday season for a "re-release." And then of course the sequels...they will come. As much of a butt-load of money it made, Disney wold be remiss to NOT make any sequels and bad as they would probably be. But those would keep it in the limelight as well. This is not going away....not any time soon.
I don't know which I dread more. The announcement of Frozen Maelstrom or Frozen sequels (which are sure to be bad) :hungover:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I'm not speaking of the parks. I'm talking about EVERYWHERE. You can't go anywhere without hearing "Let It Go", ABC is running TV specials and putting the characters into Once Upon a Time, county fairs have knock off Anna and Elsas, etc.

I actually got an e-mail in work the other day from my company's HR department with the subject line "Frozen Weekend starts Tomorrow". It contained a discount offer for a local skating rink that is doing Frozen themed events.

the-reason14

If disney were to create a ride and a themed land that isn't cheap and is well done then it wouldn't matter if frozen becomes irrelevant years to come. A good ride that is well done is a good ride that people will want to ride. So I say build them some kind of ride somewhere and mini land and call it a day.

twebber55

If disney were to create a ride and a themed land that isn't cheap and is well done then it wouldn't matter if frozen becomes irrelevant years to come. A good ride that is well done is a good ride that people will want to ride. So I say build them some kind of ride somewhere and mini land and call it a day.
certainly Frozen is a movie that is very adaptable to a theme park environment so i think it would be a huge win for Disney...just look at the cheap/cheesy summer thing they did and how big it was

Soarin' Over Pgh

I actually got an e-mail in work the other day from my company's HR department with the subject line "Frozen Weekend starts Tomorrow". It contained a discount offer for a local skating rink that is doing Frozen themed events.

My local craft store has caught onto the Frozen craze. They have their Halloween and xmas stuff out (remember, craft store! Gotta stay ahead, so I'll give them a pass) but have put their light blue snowflakes, glitter, snowmen, and reindeer stuff front and center in a very creative Frozen (knock off) table, all without mentioning Disney nor Frozen, but the message is there.

For Halloween they have a display on DIY Elsa ("Snow Queen") Olaf ("Happy Snowman") Sven ("Silly Reindeer") and Anna ("Princess") costumes and accessories, including a DIY felt carrot nose for your "Happy Snowman" character.

It's popular. No doubt everyone will be cashing in as much as they can on Disney's success. I just wish Disney would join 'em.

SirLink

You know what I've been thinking the only use I would allow them for is to refresh MVMCP content and that is it.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
The last time Disney had an animated film that garnered this much revenue and attention was The Lion King back in 1994 and look at what a centerpiece that became for the company for 20+ years. I would argue Lion King is certainly the better movie but just like with Avatar for a movie to reach such financial milestones it simply cannot be ignored and naturally must have a big fan base.

It's kind of funny that Rapunzel/tangled has been abandoned in all of this. I thought that movie did pretty well but it seems like its been long forgotten already by both the company and the general public.

Rapunzel is still the 2nd/3rd most popular princess, at least according to my Disney Store source.

wdwgreek

Again, anecdotally, my 6 year old girl is sick to death of the film and everything involved with it. I know anecdotal evidence is in no way proof to extrapolate out to the entire population. I just know that there is some degree of fatigue.
Fair, but by the same anecdotal my three neighbors watch it every day and I got them the Olaf book and two of the dolls and they haven't let go of them for the last week!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom