The Enchanted Tiki Room is coming to the Magic Kingdom!

gerryu21220

Ah, one of those made-up names from the "Disneyland Forever" CDs. "Hawaiian War Chant" is all one song, but for the Forever series they split it up into two parts. Instead of simply calling it Part One and Part Two, they made up an exotic-sounding name. I don't think they wanted people to realize they had to buy the whole song in two selections, so they pretended it was a separate number.

puntagordabob

In other words, a brand-new show that will remind guests of the original. !

Seems like most insiders are indicating otherwise..... granted there might be a new preshow and queue....perhaps an extra song or so added with some extra dialogue...otherwise though it sounds like it will be the Disneyland show with all their songs. This IS what a lot of people have asked for...and Disney is being very kind and giving us what we want.... So say Thank you to them and be happy.... I AM!

That's a mere technicality. Why people are insisting the current Disneyland version is not the original show? It is the original show, only edited down to 12 minutes. All of the content of the current version came from the original 17 minute 1963 version. All of the current version was in the Tropical Serenade. Not significant enough of a difference to need to have to state it as "reminiscent" of the original.

I don't know why people keep acting like DL and WDW had two different shows, either. For all intents and purposes, they were identical with only minor differences, primarily in the decor and styling. The content was the same.

So - now it would seem that they'll be getting back a shortened version of the original show. The same show as was there originally, just shorter!

If that is in fact the case, then why not just say so, and stop all this mysterious nonsense and vague wording like "reminiscent"?

Because the Disneyland is an altered (shortened) and remastered of the original so hence it is no longer the PURE original. Disney would be flamed by saying it was THE ORIGINAL..... Make more sense now? Disney is doing the right thing.....

"Tiki Room Luau"? There was never a 'Luau' in the show, nor a song about a Luau.

The musical numbers were/are:
  1. "In The Tiki, Tiki, Tiki Room"
  2. "Barcarolle" (Deleted Offenbach number)
  3. "Let's All Sing Like The Birdies Sing"
  4. "Hawaiian War Chant"
  5. "Farewell and Aloha"
  6. "Heigh Ho"

So where does a Luau come in?

War Chant

Spike-in-Berlin

Ah, one of those made-up names from the "Disneyland Forever" CDs. "Hawaiian War Chant" is all one song, but for the Forever series they split it up into two parts. Instead of simply calling it Part One and Part Two, they made up an exotic-sounding name. I don't think they wanted people to realize they had to buy the whole song in two selections, so they pretended it was a separate number.

Exactly. But before I learned about the truth it was always the "Tiki Room Luau" for me and I kind of still stuck to that name.
Especially as the two parts of the "Hawaiian War Chant" are so different that you could believe they are two different songs.

gerryu21220

Seems like most insiders are indicating otherwise..... granted there might be a new preshow and queue....perhaps an extra song or so added with some extra dialogue...otherwise though it sounds like it will be the Disneyland show with all their songs. This IS what a lot of people have asked for...and Disney is being very kind and giving us what we want.... So say Thank you to them and be happy.... I AM!

I said essentially the same thing, farther back and on other boards. However, I will not thank them until I see what they do to it. TDO has a reputation for ruining classics. How could I possibly be happy at this point in time if Disney won't say one way or the other?

Because the Disneyland is an altered (shortened) and remastered of the original so hence it is no longer the PURE original. Disney would be flamed by saying it was THE ORIGINAL..... Make more sense now? Disney is doing the right thing.....

I don't think you read what I said:

"So - now it would seem that they'll be getting back a shortened version of the original show. The same show as was there originally, just shorter!

If that is in fact the case, then why not just say so, and stop all this mysterious nonsense and vague wording like 'reminiscent'?"

So no - they are not doing the 'right thing' by making it vague and implying it will be an entirely new show if in fact it is going to be the same truncated version currently playing at Disneyland. Just be plain about it and SAY they are bringing in the current Disneyland version! How hard is that, Disney???

The fact that it has been digitally remastered does not make it impure, is splitting hairs, and is not what's important here: the content of the show is, not the technical upgrades behind the scenes. The show itself (had they left it full-length) would still be the same, original show to the audience, regardless of whether or not they upgraded from analog to digital behind the scenes. It's great that it got a digital upgrade, but has no bearing on whether or not they are going to actually use it in Florida.

C'mon Disney, just come out and tell us if it will be a new show or a copy of the current Disneyland version. Stop beating around the bush!

Captain Neo

I'm surprised that restoring the original Tropical Serenade is so relatively easy. Were the Imagineers forward thinking in developing Under New Management, such that they had a rollback plan to the old show in place?

I think the fire was abit more severe than they originally claimed. I heard the iago figure was destroyed.

puntagordabob

C'mon Disney, just come out and tell us if it will be a new show or a copy of the current Disneyland version. Stop beating around the bush!

While it appears that it will be the Disneyland version...It also could be a hybrid...having all the content from the Disneyland show PLUS an additional song or so with some additional dialogue.

As for why they do not come out and say it is going to be the Disneyland version?? It would be kind of tacky as far as publicity goes to OFFICIALLY say it that way..... and they would be flamed for it too. The way they are doing it now is the smart way to do it... those in the world that have no idea what this all is will see it as a new show 100%.....those of us who know otherwise will see it as a return of something we love... WIN WIN for all. More that I think of it this was a BRILLIANT way for Disney to present it!

AND FOR THE RECORD if they give us the Disneyland show AS-IS I will be 100% happy! if it is a Hybrid show that has 100% of the Disneyland show PLUS an extra song or two and extra dialogue I will still be 100% Happy! ADDING IS GOOD...now if they delete something (like the Lets all Sing like the Birdies Sing) that would be BBBAAAD!.....

Speaking of the Let's All Sing like the Birdies Sing song....if they were to change the "celeberty" tributes to something different I do not think that would at all detract from the song...

puntagordabob

That's a mere technicality. Why people are insisting the current Disneyland version is not the original show? It is the original show, only edited down to 12 minutes.

Any time you add / delete/ or in any way alter something it is really not the same show in the truest sense.... to say that it IS the same is completely false.

Slowjack

But there are many who visited WDW prior to the FP system, like myself, who believe that it is better. YOU may not agree, but unless you were around before FP , you don't really know what it was like.

I was there, I waited in the lines (or not) and I think FP has improved my experience. Others may disagree - but unless you waited in lines (and can really remember it) both before and after, you don't really know.
Mom, I first attended WDW back in 1975. I'm a 41-year-old WDW veteran. I remember prior to Fastpass, prior to Epcot, prior to all-in-one admission (though just barely!).

My previous statements were not my opinion. It is mathematically impossible for Fastpass to shorten the average guest wait. Again, because guests use the system differently, and because line length affects what guests do, and so on, some guests undoubtedly benefit from the system, but they do so at the expense of other guests.

Of course, subjective experience is different from mathematical reality. As I said, it's the difference between what is seen and what is unseen. You see a long line, and you walk right past it, and you feel great. The other lines you stand in are all a little longer, but subjectively we don't really notice that. You don't think about the extra trip you made across the park to hit your Fastpass window, or the fact that you had to spend time planning our your route so that you would not have to trek across the park to hit the window.

So it's perfectly understandable to me why some people like Fastpass based on their subjective experiences and because some people actually do benefit.

My previous post was directed at someone who said, in effect, that no one in their right minds would oppose Fastpass. I explained why opposing Fastpass is entirely rational. It provides no benefit to the average guest (again, it cannot), and requires extra physical and mental effort during one's vacation--and if you don't play the game, you are worse off than before Fastpass.

Slowjack

How does Fastpass affect the capacity of the ride?

It doesnt so by default the usual arguments by the anti mob are nothing but self indulgent pontification.
You have it backwards. It doesn't affect the capacity, which is why it's not an improvement. If Fastpass lowered the average wait time, it would have to do so by increasing the capacity of the rides. Since, as you point out, it has no effect on capacity, it doesn't lower the average wait time.

Let's take a simple example. Everything in the park is closed except for one ride. To keep things simple, the ride boards one person per minute. Thirty people are ahead of you in line, so you have a thirty minute wait ahead of you. But then a CM slides up to you and says "magic time!" and hands you a fastpass. Now you walk to the front of the line. You've just saved thirty minutes! But, your jump to the front means everyone who was in front of you now waits one more minute. Since thirty people were in front of you, that's a total extra wait of thirty minutes, the same as the time you saved (anyone who was behind you in line is unaffected).

If we give fastpasses to more people, add more rides, etc., the analysis becomes more complicated, but the number still adds up to zero.

Slowjack

This is an excellent analysis. Having said that, another thing Fastpass accomplishes though is it gives Disney an answer for the #1 complaint at the theme parks, long lines.

[....] However people point to Fastpass as the sole reason behind the long waits for that attraction when it's simply not the case.

It's certainly true that Fastpass does allow anyone to get out of at least one long line. That's the perception issue again. But if there's one big "thing" someone has to ride, with Fastpass they can do so without a long queue.

I think a better answer to long lines overall is more capacity and better queues. My daughter made us ride Winne-the-Pooh a second time after FP-ing it the first time because she wanted to play with all the new queue stuff.

I would never say that lines would all be short without FP, that would be nonsense. I went during summers before FP so I remember what it was like. I just think people with Fastpasses look at a 40 minute stand-by line and think, wow, without Fastpass I'd be waiting 40 minutes when in fact without Faspass they might be waiting more like 20 minutes. At the times I try to go now (off-season, if there is an off-season at WDW anymore), many attractions wouldn't have much of a line at all if it wasn't for Fastpass.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I'm not at all surprised you were unwilling to read further.

Why would I be interested in reading further. You stated multiple times you dont like the system, point duly noted. The rest is just hyperbole to justify your position

I can make it work for me and to be frank thats where my only interest lies. I wont bore fellow posters with bollox trying to justify what is only an opinion.

Krack

Why would I be interested in reading further. You stated multiple times you dont like the system, point duly noted. The rest is just hyperbole to justify your position

I can make it work for me and to be frank thats where my only interest lies. I wont bore fellow posters with bollox trying to justify what is only an opinion.

You don't appear to know what hyperbole means.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom