The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

12in12

Thank you. We did online check in. The first leg...Newark to Japan is 13+ hours. The second leg ....Japan to Singapore is 7+ hours. I guess I love my wife, huh?
You are going to go and experience a whole different culture, amazing food and great weather. Not mention you are traveling with someone who speaks the language and understands how things are done. So I think you are very lucky. :)🇮🇩

12in12

Funny what people lived without. I can't remember ever living without Central AC. I know when I was tiny we didn't have Central AC in Chicago but I was young. After that we always had AC.

I can't ever remember living without a microwave. My Mom had an Amana Radar Range the earlier version of Microwaves. She bought me one when I moved out of their home.
It was near $500 back then. Was heavier then all heck and I had it for over 25 years. The buttons gave way but the oven itself still worked.

th

My Mom said while she lived in Chicago they never had a bathtub. They had a wash tub that had to be filled by buckets. Wasn't until they moved to Indiana that house had one.

My Dad during his childhood didn't have a refrigerator. They had an ice box. He called our refrigerator my entire life the ice box.

My folks never built a garage until I was out of college. It is pretty, matched the house brick and stone. It cost more than their house cost.

I always had a TV in my room though it was black and white, the family old one. My kids always had a TV with a built in VHS player in their rooms.

I grew up without a phone in my bedroom, my kids had phones and we had TVs and in every room. Now none of us have landlines. We each have lightweight TVs and wireless internet, we can take it outside if we wish without and wiring required.

Both of my kids had a car at 16 years old. I did not.

We had a snowblower growing up, my Dad gave it to us when we bought our house. This was a tank with metal wheels but as I understand anyhow it moved well on its own and went through blizzard depths. About 5 years ago we gave it to a friend, still works. At least 60 years old or more.

post-2212-0-98955200-1357785412.jpg

It is funny what 'we' had vs what 'they' have now through the generations.

My DD does not remember not having a computer or life without the internet, good
'ole AOL Dial Up. I can still remember that awful sound of yesteryear.
th
I remember the dial up tone and paying for the internet by the hour.:eek:

12in12

:hilarious:
Our 3 kiddos are 3 yrs. and 2 mos. apart in age. Back when they were all little, it was like tryin’ to herd cats, much of the time...!!!!! :hilarious:
But, ultimately, we all made it through...the kiddos to adulthood, and us to middle-ish ;)age...!!!!! :hilarious::D;):)

Wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world though...!!!!!!! :happy:
I know raising kids can be very rewarding but doing it properly is incredibly hard work. I'm thankful for all the parents that are raising the next generation but having kids is just not for me.
That being said, I'll happily look after Emmy for an hour on so to get some cuddles.🥰

12in12

He is German.

Note again that I have absolute no problem communicating with all our staff, for which are Canadian, Americans, Spanish, South African, England English, some from Portugal and a few from Latin America. Its only him who complains. o_o
The interesting part is he is the opposite (in my opinion) to a native english speaker of america. He HATES any kind of slang or popular remark.
I'm sorry your boss is being difficult, some people seem to enjoy being jerks.

12in12

We went to the night market to get dinner last night. I've been there so many times now the vendors know my order.
It's easier to feed the kids in the hotel some nights then take them out to a restaurant when they are tired.
This man makes excellent stir fry noodles.
IMG_20190702_185008.jpg

My brother loves the sate and gets 50 skewers to share.
IMG_20190702_184512.jpg

Gado Gado is cold vegetables with tofu and a soy based sauce, the lady knows we like it without chili.
IMG_20190702_184048.jpg

This is my favorite, a thin pastry
IMG_20190625_180556.jpg

Filled with egg and veggies.
IMG_20190625_180610.jpg

It's folded and fried and served with sweet and sour sauce.
IMG_20190625_181834.jpg

You can also get two stacked pancakes with Nutella which is the kids favorite.
IMG_20190625_181831.jpg

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I just want to say to all the parents here, my hat's off to you.
I am genuinely exhausted looking after my brother's kids.
My brother and his wife don't have help around where they live so I've tried to give them a break by taking care of the kids but it's just none stop. I've read half a book in a week's time while normally I read a book a day on holiday. Don't get me wrong, I love the kids and enjoy getting to spend time with them but the youngest ones have so much energy they never sit still and the teenager just rolls his eyes at 99% of what I'm saying. I'm seriously baffled how so many kids make it to adulthood... ;)

Well thanks. :inlove:

I always tip my hat to everyone who opts for whatever reason not to have children. Life changing does not cover it. Once I had them of course I can't imagine a day without them but short of that it is a consideration to have or not. Wish some would have thought it through more carefully. That here, not there, here might thought to skip spawning. Me I have no regrets. I've been there for my kids every single day of their life. Love them dearly. There are no time outs in parenting. My niece is 5 years younger than my youngest. She is off to Medical School in the Fall. And to that I say my folks instilled some lofty goals and aspirations

Songbird76

So I'm trying to figure out where to go on our next trip after Disney... You would think an ex airline employee and ex travel agent would have a list... but I'm not sure. Have passport... can go almost anywhere! But where?
What do you like to do on a vacation? Are you a sit and relax and read a book type person, or a site seeing person? Are you into city or country landscapes? I can highly recommend Bavaria in Germany. We spent a week traveling through Germany last year and wished we could have stayed longer in Bavaria. It was BEAUTIFUL, with the trees and lakes and mountains, and there were the castles and museums to visit....Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau castles were the ones we visited, and I wanted to visit other things in the area, but we couldn't get a room for another night because we didn't book soon enough.
National Parks are great if you like nature, and there are usually hotels for those who aren't into camping, so you can still see all the beauty without missing the comforts of a bed, etc.
If you love history, you might consider visiting a place of particular interest....like forts and battle fields of the Civil War era, or bunkers and museams about WWII/the Holocaust, etc.
If you are a foodie, you could go somewhere that has cuisine you love and want to try the authentic stuff.
If you love to read, maybe visit somewhere from a book you love, or where a favorite author lived...I'd personally LOVE to visit Forks Washington, or the home of Jane Austen, or the castles used in the Harry Potter filming. (I've already seen some of the filming locations).
Maybe hearing other people's lists would inspire you?
My top bucket list places:
Italy
Greece
Back to Bavaria
Back to the UK...specifically the Irish Countryside this time, rather than Dublin, and more English Countryside and London, and possibly Scotland....Stonehenge up close instead of just from the highway, and lots of castles!!
New York/connecticut/Philadelphia for genealogy and revolutionary war history
Washington DC to see the Smithsonian since we didn't have time when we were there
In a few years, we're planning a Wyoming grand tour including Yellowstone, Independence Rock, the wagon ruts, Fort Laramie, Fort Casper, Territorial Prison, Wind River Reservation, Grave sites of Washakie, Sacagawea, etc, maybe up into Montana for Custer Battlefield.
I would like to go back to Paris to see St. Chapelle...it was closed to the public while we were there, but that's not a MUST do, although it would be nice.

Songbird76

Funny what people lived without. I can't remember ever living without Central AC. I know when I was tiny we didn't have Central AC in Chicago but I was young. After that we always had AC.

I can't ever remember living without a microwave. My Mom had an Amana Radar Range the earlier version of Microwaves. She bought me one when I moved out of their home.
It was near $500 back then. Was heavier then all heck and I had it for over 25 years. The buttons gave way but the oven itself still worked.

th

My Mom said while she lived in Chicago they never had a bathtub. They had a wash tub that had to be filled by buckets. Wasn't until they moved to Indiana that house had one.

My Dad during his childhood didn't have a refrigerator. They had an ice box. He called our refrigerator my entire life the ice box.

My folks never built a garage until I was out of college. It is pretty, matched the house brick and stone. It cost more than their house cost.

I always had a TV in my room though it was black and white, the family old one. My kids always had a TV with a built in VHS player in their rooms.

I grew up without a phone in my bedroom, my kids had phones and we had TVs and in every room. Now none of us have landlines. We each have lightweight TVs and wireless internet, we can take it outside if we wish without and wiring required.

Both of my kids had a car at 16 years old. I did not.

We had a snowblower growing up, my Dad gave it to us when we bought our house. This was a tank with metal wheels but as I understand anyhow it moved well on its own and went through blizzard depths. About 5 years ago we gave it to a friend, still works. At least 60 years old or more.

post-2212-0-98955200-1357785412.jpg

It is funny what 'we' had vs what 'they' have now through the generations.

My DD does not remember not having a computer or life without the internet, good
'ole AOL Dial Up. I can still remember that awful sound of yesteryear.
th
I got a TV for my bedroom when I was 16 or 17, for my birthday. It was a really small, black and white TV, and I couldn't get all the channels because it wasn't connected to the box where you could switch to extra channels like Disney that weren't included in standard cable where we lived.

We also convinced my dad to buy us cheap phones and enough cable to run them from the main line to our rooms...I think I was probably 14 or 15 then, and mom was MAD, because she didn't want us to have phones in our rooms, and my brother just asked my dad and didn't tell him mom had said no. His thinking was that if dad had already bought the phones and the cable, she had no reason to say no. Oh was she ticked, but it really was kind of necessary because if the phone rang, we had to run all the way to the other end of the house to answer it, and especially when we were sleeping, that was annoying. She finally agreed it had been a good idea. It was a good idea my brother pulled that stunt and not me, because she never would have agreed if it had been me.

I bought my own car when I was 17 and had my license...I paid for most everything myself by about 13. New clothes, my letterman's jacket, my prom dress senior year (Junior year's was my birthday present)...I got money for my birthday and Christmas, I babysat, I did timing/scoring at ball games, I tutored, I worked during the summer from the time I was 15 and all that money went to things like clothes, and buying my car, insurance, all that stuff. My mom had worked at a Savings and Loan for years before marrying my dad, and she was EXCELLENT with money. She taught me a lot of financial lessons, and I remember when I was in 7th or 8th grade, the homecoming dance was a "semi-formal", so I had to have a dress, but the only things I had were hideous old-fashioned things with ruffles and bows that had been hand-me-downs. So my mom took me to either Sears or JC Penny in the next town over, and I had plenty of money, but I was so cautious about money, and there was this blazer and skirt combo that I fell in love with, but it was $65. In the late 1980s, that was a LOT for a 13 year old girl. I went back and forth....should I? Shouldn't I? And my mom finally told me that while it's good to be frugal, it's ok to splurge once in a while, and hoarding money does no good if you are never going to spend any of it. If I really wanted the dress, this was probably a good way to treat myself. So I bought it, and never once regretted it. I wore it until I couldn't squeeze myself into it anymore and then I passed it on to a friend who wore it for years after.

I bought my own boombox in 4th grade....a lavender one. It was small, but so pretty, and it did the job. I used it all the way through college, even after CDs came out.

And we've continued the tradition of buying things yourself with our kids. DS saved up his own money and bought a Nintendo Switch, and both kids saved their money to buy their phones. If they want something, they have to save. They have chores and get an allowance, and they can ask for money for their birthdays and Christmas instead of presents. So they have to research how much the item costs and if they want something before they have enough, we remind them that buying that means it will be longer before they can afford X item. If they want to go with friends to get ice cream or something, it comes from their own bank accounts.

I do wish we had airco though....

MinnieM123

Premium Member
None here. Fireworks never did anything for me and most of my family is not planning anything at all either. In fact, both my son in law and my grandson (his son) are planning on working the day to get the overtime. The forecast is for more 100 degree weather and afternoon and evening thunder boomers

Any time it's 100 degrees, I'd say that's cancellation time for any outdoor festivities!! :jawdrop:

Not much here. We will go to my sister's for awhile, then to a friends for their annual 4th of July party, and then end up at home watching the Boston Pops on tv. I checked and they are being broadcast on Bloomberg tv this year. How about you?

Hubs will be running the 4th of July 5K race here (local -- he runs it every year). We might cook out tomorrow night -- which reminds me, I gotta go get some food! :hungry:

As for the 4th evening, I'll be doing what you're doing -- watching the Pops on local TV (or Bloomberg). Boston has been setting up for that and putting security, etc., in place for the past few days now. Huge process by state, local, and federal agencies to put this event on. (I do miss the old days, when all anyone thought about was just the music. 🎼 )

Nope. We stay home. Only plans involve grilling and drinks!😉 And watching fireworks at MK live!!

What time are the fireworks? (I usually doze off by 9 . . . LOL . . .) :p

Going to work. It's just another Thursday .

Mr. Ferret, I think we should make you an honorary citizen for tomorrow. This would allow you to have the day off, and you could have a barbecue with Mrs. Ferret. :happy:

Yep, the kiddos are comin’ over and Emy’s gettin’ decked out for our traditional neighborhood 4th of July Parade beginning at 8a...!!!!!!! :joyfull::inlove::happy:
We always participated in it when our 3 kiddos were younger, so it will be sooooooo very cool for us all to continue it with the next generation...!!!!! :happy::)
Then over to my folks later in the day to continue the celebration...!!! :)

I figured you'd be involved in some sort of big celebration! :joyfull: That's fun about the old neighborhood 4th of July parade -- I love those small, home town events!

Where I live does have July 3rd lakefront fireworks at night, but I am not seeing them live in person. I might see them on tv since they are broadcast live on local station.

Well, I guess that many of us are watching our 4th of July festivities on TV this year! ;) And the good thing about being inside, is that you'll be away from the mosquitoes!

MySmallWorldof4

I forgot July 1st was Happy Bobby Bonilla Day. This was the ninth year of Happy Bobby Bonilla Day. This is an infamous day to people who followed sports due to a mistake from a baseball team that caused them paying 1.19 million dollars every July 1st to Bobby Bonilla for 25 years instead of paying 5.9 million dollars after the 1999 season for releasing baseball player before end of contract. What happen was baseball owner thought they were going to get savvy investments made through Bernie Madoff and make money off Bobby Bonilla's contract beside Bobby Bonilla himself.

Too bad one one from this message board didn't get Bobby Bonilla day instead of Bobby Bonilla because ebay has an overnight Stay in Cinderella Castle suite auction right now with it being for a party of 4. I'm sure some one from this message would've used the money from Bobby Bonilla day for placing bid on ebay on for that overnight Cinderella Castle suite stay.

This is the ebay auction I'm referring to: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stay-in-th...Kingdom-Park/264376854587?hash=item3d8e16a83b
I remember the ball player, but didn’t remember that incident. Not a bad deal for getting your contract messed with.
Now we know how much one night in that suite costs. Just wow!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom