The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Premium Member
Where I live does have July 3rd lakefront fireworks at night, but I am not seeing them in person.

The reason is people are very nuts when it comes to finding a spot to watch fireworks. People have been camping out for lakefront fireworks viewing spots since the weekend and that is nuts from my viewpoint.
Ours are on the 4th of July. It is an all day event, with foods, adult beverages and lots of bands rotating. We've also gone to Chicago both for the 4th (or 3rd) and New Years to see them at Navy Pier. Those are real pretty too.

I've missed them twice, once due with my first born and last year when it was just ridiculously hot. It looks like it will be that hot again and may forego. I've been at Disney for both the 4th of July and for NYE in the parks. The best was ringing in the New Millennium Talk about sooooo many people to ring in year 2000 Good memories.

donaldtoo

Advertisement
I just want to say to all the parents here, my hat's off to you.
I am genuinely exhausted looking after my brother's kids.
My brother and his wife don't have help around where they live so I've tried to give them a break by taking care of the kids but it's just none stop. I've read half a book in a week's time while normally I read a book a day on holiday. Don't get me wrong, I love the kids and enjoy getting to spend time with them but the youngest ones have so much energy they never sit still and the teenager just rolls his eyes at 99% of what I'm saying. I'm seriously baffled how so many kids make it to adulthood... ;)
:hilarious:
Our 3 kiddos are 3 yrs. and 2 mos. apart in age. Back when they were all little, it was like tryin’ to herd cats, much of the time...!!!!! :hilarious:
But, ultimately, we all made it through...the kiddos to adulthood, and us to middle-ish ;)age...!!!!! :hilarious::D;):)

Wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world though...!!!!!!! :happy:

StarWarsGirl

I grew up without a phone in my bedroom, my kids had phones and we had TVs and in every room. Now none of us have landlines. We each have lightweight TVs and wireless internet, we can take it outside if we wish without and wiring required
I didn't have the landline in my room until I was a teenager. Not that it was a huge deal; I could get a cordless phone from another room and bring it in if I wanted to talk on the phone. We still have the landline. It was out the other day, and there was a huge crisis. And we get cell reception here.

There's no cable hookup in my room, so there's no TV in there. I always just used the portable DVD player growing up to watch movies and then later my laptop. I suppose now that I barely watch cable anymore that I could just put a smart TV in there, but I kind of like just watching it on my laptop and not having something else to maintain.

Cesar R M

Is this an English speaking boss or a Spanish speaking one? Because if it's an English-speaking boss, he should know that your English is going to be different from native English and to let things go. I mean, they hired you knowing that.

I had a boss who could be like that when I was first working for my old company. I swear she had some sort of language processing issue because she would say one thing and mean another, and then when I would try to make sure I understood her correctly, she'd get mad. She retired; she desperately needed to. Nice lady, but lousy manager. My boss after her was so much better, and my boss now pretty much can't get more laid back.
He is German.

Note again that I have absolute no problem communicating with all our staff, for which are Canadian, Americans, Spanish, South African, England English, some from Portugal and a few from Latin America. Its only him who complains. o_o
The interesting part is he is the opposite (in my opinion) to a native english speaker of america. He HATES any kind of slang or popular remark.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Premium Member
More work for us because all our US citizen employees will be offline and we will have to pick up their work :p
The University my DD has worked for several years, their overnight and Holiday social media and chat with us is farmed out to India.

Part of her responsibilities is to respond to social media posts and monitoring India’s responses. If she was the Empress of the University she’d go Dark overnight and on holidays. There is a cultural gap in responses in that social media world.

RedNoseMickey

Thank you. We did online check in. The first leg...Newark to Japan is 13+ hours. The second leg ....Japan to Singapore is 7+ hours. I guess I love my wife, huh?
You are going to go and experience a whole different culture, amazing food and great weather. Not mention you are traveling with someone who speaks the language and understands how things are done. So I think you are very lucky. :)🇮🇩

RedNoseMickey

Funny what people lived without. I can't remember ever living without Central AC. I know when I was tiny we didn't have Central AC in Chicago but I was young. After that we always had AC.

I can't ever remember living without a microwave. My Mom had an Amana Radar Range the earlier version of Microwaves. She bought me one when I moved out of their home.
It was near $500 back then. Was heavier then all heck and I had it for over 25 years. The buttons gave way but the oven itself still worked.

My Mom said while she lived in Chicago they never had a bathtub. They had a wash tub that had to be filled by buckets. Wasn't until they moved to Indiana that house had one.

My Dad during his childhood didn't have a refrigerator. They had an ice box. He called our refrigerator my entire life the ice box.

My folks never built a garage until I was out of college. It is pretty, matched the house brick and stone. It cost more than their house cost.

I always had a TV in my room though it was black and white, the family old one. My kids always had a TV with a built in VHS player in their rooms.

I grew up without a phone in my bedroom, my kids had phones and we had TVs and in every room. Now none of us have landlines. We each have lightweight TVs and wireless internet, we can take it outside if we wish without and wiring required.

Both of my kids had a car at 16 years old. I did not.

We had a snowblower growing up, my Dad gave it to us when we bought our house. This was a tank with metal wheels but as I understand anyhow it moved well on its own and went through blizzard depths. About 5 years ago we gave it to a friend, still works. At least 60 years old or more.

It is funny what 'we' had vs what 'they' have now through the generations.

My DD does not remember not having a computer or life without the internet, good
'ole AOL Dial Up. I can still remember that awful sound of yesteryear.
I remember the dial up tone and paying for the internet by the hour.:eek:

RedNoseMickey

:hilarious:
Our 3 kiddos are 3 yrs. and 2 mos. apart in age. Back when they were all little, it was like tryin’ to herd cats, much of the time...!!!!! :hilarious:
But, ultimately, we all made it through...the kiddos to adulthood, and us to middle-ish ;)age...!!!!! :hilarious::D;):)

Wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world though...!!!!!!! :happy:
I know raising kids can be very rewarding but doing it properly is incredibly hard work. I'm thankful for all the parents that are raising the next generation but having kids is just not for me.
That being said, I'll happily look after Emmy for an hour on so to get some cuddles.🥰

RedNoseMickey

He is German.

Note again that I have absolute no problem communicating with all our staff, for which are Canadian, Americans, Spanish, South African, England English, some from Portugal and a few from Latin America. Its only him who complains. o_o
The interesting part is he is the opposite (in my opinion) to a native english speaker of america. He HATES any kind of slang or popular remark.
I'm sorry your boss is being difficult, some people seem to enjoy being jerks.

Top Bottom