The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

12in12

What do you like to do on a vacation? Are you a sit and relax and read a book type person, or a site seeing person? Are you into city or country landscapes? I can highly recommend Bavaria in Germany. We spent a week traveling through Germany last year and wished we could have stayed longer in Bavaria. It was BEAUTIFUL, with the trees and lakes and mountains, and there were the castles and museums to visit....Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau castles were the ones we visited, and I wanted to visit other things in the area, but we couldn't get a room for another night because we didn't book soon enough.
National Parks are great if you like nature, and there are usually hotels for those who aren't into camping, so you can still see all the beauty without missing the comforts of a bed, etc.
If you love history, you might consider visiting a place of particular interest....like forts and battle fields of the Civil War era, or bunkers and museams about WWII/the Holocaust, etc.
If you are a foodie, you could go somewhere that has cuisine you love and want to try the authentic stuff.
If you love to read, maybe visit somewhere from a book you love, or where a favorite author lived...I'd personally LOVE to visit Forks Washington, or the home of Jane Austen, or the castles used in the Harry Potter filming. (I've already seen some of the filming locations).
Maybe hearing other people's lists would inspire you?
My top bucket list places:
Italy
Greece
Back to Bavaria
Back to the UK...specifically the Irish Countryside this time, rather than Dublin, and more English Countryside and London, and possibly Scotland....Stonehenge up close instead of just from the highway, and lots of castles!!
New York/connecticut/Philadelphia for genealogy and revolutionary war history
Washington DC to see the Smithsonian since we didn't have time when we were there
In a few years, we're planning a Wyoming grand tour including Yellowstone, Independence Rock, the wagon ruts, Fort Laramie, Fort Casper, Territorial Prison, Wind River Reservation, Grave sites of Washakie, Sacagawea, etc, maybe up into Montana for Custer Battlefield.
I would like to go back to Paris to see St. Chapelle...it was closed to the public while we were there, but that's not a MUST do, although it would be nice.
I agree with all you said. Travel is such a personal choice and really depends on your interest and budget.

12in12

Well thanks. :inlove:

I always tip my hat to everyone who opts for whatever reason not to have children. Life changing does not cover it. Once I had them of course I can't imagine a day without them but short of that it is a consideration to have or not. Wish some would have thought it through more carefully. That here, not there, here might thought to skip spawning. Me I have no regrets. I've been there for my kids every single day of their life. Love them dearly. There are no time outs in parenting. My niece is 5 years younger than my youngest. She is off to Medical School in the Fall. And to that I say my folks instilled some lofty goals and aspirations
Raising decent human beings is such hard work and takes real commitment. I agree with you that some people shouldn't be parents or perhaps should have waited a few years before becoming parents. Luckily I think they are the minority and most families are working hard to do right by their children. I'm sure your kids appreciate all you have done for them.

Last edited:

Songbird76

I agree with all you said. Travel is such a personal choice and really depends on your interest and budget.
Yeah, a lot of people LOVE to go someplace hot and lie on the beach all day. That's so not me. I can't stand the heat, I hate the feel of sand on my feet or anywhere really, and I burn very easily, so the beach is more my image of He** than a vacation destination. But I love history and architecture, so somewhere like Italy speaks to me...the art, the culture, the food....I want to see the Colosseum, and I want to see the places associated with the Medici family, and I want to see famous works of art like the David statue. I want to see the cathedrals, and frescos...there is so much in Italy I want to see, and I want to see ruins in Greece. But there are people who would prefer to do nothing but relax all day on vacation, getting spa treatments. So it really depends on your own personal vacation style.

93boomer

Premium Member
Any time it's 100 degrees, I'd say that's cancellation time for any outdoor festivities!! :jawdrop:

Hubs will be running the 4th of July 5K race here (local -- he runs it every year). We might cook out tomorrow night -- which reminds me, I gotta go get some food! :hungry:

As for the 4th evening, I'll be doing what you're doing -- watching the Pops on local TV (or Bloomberg). Boston has been setting up for that and putting security, etc., in place for the past few days now. Huge process by state, local, and federal agencies to put this event on. (I do miss the old days, when all anyone thought about was just the music. 🎼 )

What time are the fireworks? (I usually doze off by 9 . . . LOL . . .) :p

Mr. Ferret, I think we should make you an honorary citizen for tomorrow. This would allow you to have the day off, and you could have a barbecue with Mrs. Ferret. :happy:

I figured you'd be involved in some sort of big celebration! :joyfull: That's fun about the old neighborhood 4th of July parade -- I love those small, home town events!

Well, I guess that many of us are watching our 4th of July festivities on TV this year! ;) And the good thing about being inside, is that you'll be away from the mosquitoes!
It starts around 9:13.

Rista1313

Yeah, a lot of people LOVE to go someplace hot and lie on the beach all day. That's so not me. I can't stand the heat, I hate the feel of sand on my feet or anywhere really, and I burn very easily, so the beach is more my image of He** than a vacation destination. But I love history and architecture, so somewhere like Italy speaks to me...the art, the culture, the food....I want to see the Colosseum, and I want to see the places associated with the Medici family, and I want to see famous works of art like the David statue. I want to see the cathedrals, and frescos...there is so much in Italy I want to see, and I want to see ruins in Greece. But there are people who would prefer to do nothing but relax all day on vacation, getting spa treatments. So it really depends on your own personal vacation style.

I love the beach, but I prefer it when I can sit in a pool and look at it... I'm not one for laying out.

I was just looking at Italy, Japan, and China tours yesterday. We've taken a cruise once and we hated it... but to be fair it was a small boat and we did not have much money back then, we did go on excursions, but we didn't do a lot of "extras" that cost money on the ship.

Rista1313

What do you like to do on a vacation? Are you a sit and relax and read a book type person, or a site seeing person? Are you into city or country landscapes? I can highly recommend Bavaria in Germany. We spent a week traveling through Germany last year and wished we could have stayed longer in Bavaria. It was BEAUTIFUL, with the trees and lakes and mountains, and there were the castles and museums to visit....Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau castles were the ones we visited, and I wanted to visit other things in the area, but we couldn't get a room for another night because we didn't book soon enough.
National Parks are great if you like nature, and there are usually hotels for those who aren't into camping, so you can still see all the beauty without missing the comforts of a bed, etc.
If you love history, you might consider visiting a place of particular interest....like forts and battle fields of the Civil War era, or bunkers and museams about WWII/the Holocaust, etc.
If you are a foodie, you could go somewhere that has cuisine you love and want to try the authentic stuff.
If you love to read, maybe visit somewhere from a book you love, or where a favorite author lived...I'd personally LOVE to visit Forks Washington, or the home of Jane Austen, or the castles used in the Harry Potter filming. (I've already seen some of the filming locations).
Maybe hearing other people's lists would inspire you?
My top bucket list places:
Italy
Greece
Back to Bavaria
Back to the UK...specifically the Irish Countryside this time, rather than Dublin, and more English Countryside and London, and possibly Scotland....Stonehenge up close instead of just from the highway, and lots of castles!!
New York/connecticut/Philadelphia for genealogy and revolutionary war history
Washington DC to see the Smithsonian since we didn't have time when we were there
In a few years, we're planning a Wyoming grand tour including Yellowstone, Independence Rock, the wagon ruts, Fort Laramie, Fort Casper, Territorial Prison, Wind River Reservation, Grave sites of Washakie, Sacagawea, etc, maybe up into Montana for Custer Battlefield.
I would like to go back to Paris to see St. Chapelle...it was closed to the public while we were there, but that's not a MUST do, although it would be nice.

That's just it..it's hard... I like all of the above, plus throw in a tropical island with a swim up bar and rum drinks. One of the obstacles for us is that DH can't do a lot of standing or climbing a bazillion steps because of his disability... so I have to do a lot of research and choose wisely.

MySmallWorldof4

Looking at hitting 100 degrees tomorrow with 87% humidity. I'm supposed to go golfing with my grandchildren tomorrow. It will be early in the morning or they could count on me turning into a big puddle of grease before it's done. All I can say is that it wouldn't be unreasonable for me to find whomever invented central Air Conditioning and kiss them square on the lips. I love it down here, but, I cannot wrap my head around how people survived in the 1800's and most of the 1900's without it.

View attachment 385887
The only reason some southern parts of the country are so populated is because of lovely ac.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I love the beach, but I prefer it when I can sit in a pool and look at it... I'm not one for laying out.

I was just looking at Italy, Japan, and China tours yesterday. We've taken a cruise once and we hated it... but to be fair it was a small boat and we did not have much money back then, we did go on excursions, but we didn't do a lot of "extras" that cost money on the ship.
European cruise ?

12in12

While on vacation I try to avoid putting on the news as well. Sometimes I’ll put it on to catch the weather or for background noise while I get ready in the morning.
I usually read the paper every day so that's easy to stop doing while away. I rarely turn on the TV either but I did a few times this trip because the kids wanted to watch CN.:rolleyes:
It's nice to get a break a few times a year from all the misery in the world.

MouseDreaming

Looking at hitting 100 degrees tomorrow with 87% humidity. I'm supposed to go golfing with my grandchildren tomorrow. It will be early in the morning or they could count on me turning into a big puddle of grease before it's done. All I can say is that it wouldn't be unreasonable for me to find whomever invented central Air Conditioning and kiss them square on the lips. I love it down here, but, I cannot wrap my head around how people survived in the 1800's and most of the 1900's without it.

View attachment 385887
It is even crazier to think they did it in that clothing. We have a historical farm by me that is run like a farm around the late 1800's. I always felt bad on a warm day, when the ladies were all dressed, baking and cooking over a wood stove on a very hot summer day.

12in12

I love hearing, seeing and smelling the ocean but hate the beach or going for a swim in the ocean. I'm also not a lounge by the pool person but I do like the heat. This holiday in Bali we had to do things a bit different because of my mum and the kids so more pool time and relaxing and hardly any sight seeing. It's nice because we are together but I would never do this on a solo trip.
I've been lucky and have seen all those places in Italy you are talking about and I have visited Greece several times as well. They are certainly worth exploring, not to mention the wonderful food and coffee in Italy.:inlove:

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Anyone have any plans for the 4th?

My sister in law and the kids are going to come up for a couple days. We're going to walk down to the town parade in the early afternoon, then we'll catch the street festival and fireworks in the evening. And this weekend we're going to go to a friends party on the lake with more fireworks and music and food. A is super excited about "America's birthday" and has all her clothes for everything picked out already

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom