The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I use neither, just twirl the bag closed and tuck it under the loaf when I put it down.

Oh the topics you find @SteveBrickNJ 👀

Blurg! ;) Over the years I'd have conversations with my DS about that. Funny he grew out of that. We keep all of our breads together and when you pull one bag out it shuffles the balance of them 'cause nobody would go through them all to see that the tail remained tucked under. My guess is @figmentfan423 never has bread around long enough to go stale.

wdwfan4ver

Where I live does have July 3rd lakefront fireworks at night, but I am not seeing them live in person. I might see them on tv since they are broadcast live on local station.

The reason I am not seeing them live in person is people are very nuts when it comes to finding a spot to watch fireworks. People have been camping out for lakefront fireworks viewing spots since the start of weekend and that is nuts from my viewpoint.

Last edited:

Gabe1

@figmentfan423
Saw this posted elsewhere here in case you missed it.....

Dole Whip Margarita
delish-dole-whip-margaritas-still001-1561993467.jpg

https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/a28186132/dole-whip-margaritas-recipe/

donaldtoo

In the Netherlands we only have fireworks at New year's but a few days before the 31st kids start setting of the loud fireworks.

As I’ve confessed here before, myself and my bros were some of those crazy kiddos back in the day... :cautious:
we even had a bottle rocket “shootout” with my China Grove cousins neighbor kids, the infamous Miller Gang :hilarious:, from across the street one year, shortly after we moved back to Texas...
We all had BB or pellet guns and were puttin’ the sticks down the barrel, lightin’ ‘em, and “shootin’” ‘em at each other...!!!!! 🤪🤣
How none of us never lost an eye, I have not a clue...!!!!! :cyclops:

And, I’ve also shared this doozy before...

[IMG alt="donaldtoo"]https://d3ofq03apmfb8c.cloudfront.net/data/avatars/m/85/85217.jpg?1438622802[/IMG]
donaldtoo

Jul 16, 2017
MOXOMUMD said:
The only time I've ever been injured (oddly enough!) was by one of those darn sparklers! Set off 100 screamers this year with no problem but got 1 defective sparkler! :cautious:
We used sparklers to send DD and SonIL off after their wedding reception, and the best man, somehow, got a burn on one of his fingers that was enough to get the first-aid kit.

I know I've posted this here before (was gonna' post it again over 4th of July weekend, but, it got lost in the mix), but, pretty sure it was several years ago...

It was the summer right after HS graduation and just before I moved outta' mom and pops house.
It was the weekend before the 4th, and I was out in front of my folks house juggling a soccer ball on the lawn. 3 friends showed up in the one guys "new" (a few years old Mercury Marquis coupe, and it was the first time he was driving it after he bought it) car. They asked me if I wanted to go for a quick ride. I was only in shorts - no TSFF ;) - , but, it was only supposed to be a short ride.
I got in the car and we headed for a part of the neighborhood that was still under construction. Then, the "fireworks fun" was revealed to me...
A gross (144) bottle rockets that us passengers were gonna' be shooting out of the car at various construction site targets. :cyclops:
Me to myself >>>>> "I got a bad feeling about this." :cautious:

I figured I'd hang out for a few and then make up an excuse about forgetting to do something back at the house that I needed to be back for.
Well, it didn't take much more than a few for "fun" to turn to all-out chaos.
The guy next to me behind the driver would be starting the target practice. He had the bag with the gross in it on the floorboard between his legs. The launch apparatus was a length of PVC pipe with some duct tape at the bottom.
4 launches had been done and the fifth was lit and dropped into the PVC. When the guy pointed it out the window he noticed there was a hole in the duct tape. The first thing I heard was "OH ****!!!!!!!". The next thing I heard and saw after that was the bottle rocket igniting in the bag between the guys legs on the floor. All hell broke loose shortly thereafter!!!!!!! :eek:
And, here I am in only shorts...

We started yelling over the insanity to get someone up front to open the "*******" door. By the time that happened we were still doing about 10 miles per hour or so. The front seat passenger finally opened the door and I pushed the seat as hard as I could forward, barely squeezing past him and onto the street, only to have him follow me directly and land right on top of me!!! :in pain: The other rear seat passenger followed him out on our side, as the driver wasn't budging. As we were still laying in the street we watched him still in the car going down the street. It was sooo bizarre. All hell going off around him and he wasn't giving up the ship. :cyclops:He finally bailed and the car jumped the curb, went down into and through a dry (at the time) creek bed, and wrapped itself around a tree on the opposite bank.

It was all so flippin' surreal and nutso beyond belief.
The car, wrapped around the tree now, continued to go off for a few more seconds, as the driver was laying in the road screaming.
The rest of us were now sitting on the curb accessing our injuries. Luckily, somehow, we pretty much had minimal burns, and none were serious. My worst injuries were road rash and a gouged heel on my right foot from where the guy that followed me out fell on top of me and smashed it into the road.
About the time the driver joined us, we started to hear sirens. I still, to this day, have no clue who called it in. No cels back then and we were in a construction zone.
We asked the driver why he didn't just park ASAP?!?!?! o_O He said he panicked. :cyclops:

The first responders showed up shortly thereafter and determined none us needed to be transported. They put some bandages on us, and one of the first responders drove me home and walked me to the door. The door was locked and I had no key on me, so I knocked. The look on my moms face (they were out when I took the ride, and when they got back figured I was skateboarding around the middle school across the street or something) when she saw me was one I'll never forget.

Anyway, to wrap it up...
I was so mad cause we were scheduled to spend the 4th of July at family friends lake house skiing and other stuff, and I was really looking forward to the skiing. But, with my gouged heel the ski binding was too painful.
Definitely, one of the craziest days of my life...!!!!!!! :confused:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
Quote Reply
Report •••
Reactions:betty rose, MOXOMUMD, figmentfan423 and 2 others

Yep, that was one crazy day, indeed...!!!!!!! :joyfull::hilarious:;):)

But, to put things in perspective, those were different times, and by the time we started our family, things like bottle rockets, M-80’s, etc, had already been banned.
We bought some of the “pretty” fireworks for the kiddos to enjoy from a bit of distance when they were younger, and also went to many neighborhood displays accompanied by music...so much safer...!!!!! :happy:

To sum up...

0A0E925B-4078-4849-85BA-48E8EF0022F9.jpeg

:joyfull::hilarious:;):)

Gabe1

When I was a kid, we never had air conditioning in our homes or our cars. I remember everyone sitting in the living room in front of the oscillating fan which provided a cooling breeze once every 30 seconds. The car required open windows, every single one of them. I remember so many vacation trips sticking to the seats of the plastic covered car seats. The plus side was most of the year in Vermont did not require any AC, snow shovels for sure. One thing I noticed about the south is that the ranges of temperatures are much less down here. In Vermont it was not uncommon to have weeks at -25 to -35 degrees F. and have it hit 100 in the summer. That's around 130 degree fluctuation. Here the coldest I have experienced is about 28 degrees and the hottest 106 degrees about 80 degree difference. Sadly now 28 degrees feels like 20 below used too for me.

Funny what people lived without. I can't remember ever living without Central AC. I know when I was tiny we didn't have Central AC in Chicago but I was young. After that we always had AC.

I can't ever remember living without a microwave. My Mom had an Amana Radar Range the earlier version of Microwaves. She bought me one when I moved out of their home.
It was near $500 back then. Was heavier then all heck and I had it for over 25 years. The buttons gave way but the oven itself still worked.

th

My Mom said while she lived in Chicago they never had a bathtub. They had a wash tub that had to be filled by buckets. Wasn't until they moved to Indiana that house had one.

My Dad during his childhood didn't have a refrigerator. They had an ice box. He called our refrigerator my entire life the ice box.

My folks never built a garage until I was out of college. It is pretty, matched the house brick and stone. It cost more than their house cost.

I always had a TV in my room though it was black and white, the family old one. My kids always had a TV with a built in VHS player in their rooms.

I grew up without a phone in my bedroom, my kids had phones and we had TVs and in every room. Now none of us have landlines. We each have lightweight TVs and wireless internet, we can take it outside if we wish without and wiring required.

Both of my kids had a car at 16 years old. I did not.

We had a snowblower growing up, my Dad gave it to us when we bought our house. This was a tank with metal wheels but as I understand anyhow it moved well on its own and went through blizzard depths. About 5 years ago we gave it to a friend, still works. At least 60 years old or more.

post-2212-0-98955200-1357785412.jpg

It is funny what 'we' had vs what 'they' have now through the generations.

My DD does not remember not having a computer or life without the internet, good
'ole AOL Dial Up. I can still remember that awful sound of yesteryear.
th

Gabe1

Where I live does have July 3rd lakefront fireworks at night, but I am not seeing them in person.

The reason is people are very nuts when it comes to finding a spot to watch fireworks. People have been camping out for lakefront fireworks viewing spots since the weekend and that is nuts from my viewpoint.

Ours are on the 4th of July. It is an all day event, with foods, adult beverages and lots of bands rotating. We've also gone to Chicago both for the 4th (or 3rd) and New Years to see them at Navy Pier. Those are real pretty too.

I've missed them twice, once due with my first born and last year when it was just ridiculously hot. It looks like it will be that hot again and may forego. I've been at Disney for both the 4th of July and for NYE in the parks. The best was ringing in the New Millennium Talk about sooooo many people to ring in year 2000 Good memories.

donaldtoo

I just want to say to all the parents here, my hat's off to you.
I am genuinely exhausted looking after my brother's kids.
My brother and his wife don't have help around where they live so I've tried to give them a break by taking care of the kids but it's just none stop. I've read half a book in a week's time while normally I read a book a day on holiday. Don't get me wrong, I love the kids and enjoy getting to spend time with them but the youngest ones have so much energy they never sit still and the teenager just rolls his eyes at 99% of what I'm saying. I'm seriously baffled how so many kids make it to adulthood... ;)

:hilarious:
Our 3 kiddos are 3 yrs. and 2 mos. apart in age. Back when they were all little, it was like tryin’ to herd cats, much of the time...!!!!! :hilarious:
But, ultimately, we all made it through...the kiddos to adulthood, and us to middle-ish ;)age...!!!!! :hilarious::D;):)

Wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world though...!!!!!!! :happy:

StarWarsGirl

I grew up without a phone in my bedroom, my kids had phones and we had TVs and in every room. Now none of us have landlines. We each have lightweight TVs and wireless internet, we can take it outside if we wish without and wiring required
I didn't have the landline in my room until I was a teenager. Not that it was a huge deal; I could get a cordless phone from another room and bring it in if I wanted to talk on the phone. We still have the landline. It was out the other day, and there was a huge crisis. And we get cell reception here.

There's no cable hookup in my room, so there's no TV in there. I always just used the portable DVD player growing up to watch movies and then later my laptop. I suppose now that I barely watch cable anymore that I could just put a smart TV in there, but I kind of like just watching it on my laptop and not having something else to maintain.

Cesar R M

Is this an English speaking boss or a Spanish speaking one? Because if it's an English-speaking boss, he should know that your English is going to be different from native English and to let things go. I mean, they hired you knowing that.

I had a boss who could be like that when I was first working for my old company. I swear she had some sort of language processing issue because she would say one thing and mean another, and then when I would try to make sure I understood her correctly, she'd get mad. She retired; she desperately needed to. Nice lady, but lousy manager. My boss after her was so much better, and my boss now pretty much can't get more laid back.
He is German.

Note again that I have absolute no problem communicating with all our staff, for which are Canadian, Americans, Spanish, South African, England English, some from Portugal and a few from Latin America. Its only him who complains. o_o
The interesting part is he is the opposite (in my opinion) to a native english speaker of america. He HATES any kind of slang or popular remark.

Gabe1

More work for us because all our US citizen employees will be offline and we will have to pick up their work :p

The University my DD has worked for several years, their overnight and Holiday social media and chat with us is farmed out to India.

Part of her responsibilities is to respond to social media posts and monitoring India’s responses. If she was the Empress of the University she’d go Dark overnight and on holidays. There is a cultural gap in responses in that social media world.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom