The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Songbird76

Sounds like a well thought out system.
It is for the most part. It works well. Kids take a national test twice a year that is used to track progress and help the teachers in giving their advice to each student. A student who consistently scores in the top category for math and reading for a few years will get VWO advice. Or, that's how it's supposed to work, but I do have a friend here who is really angry with her son's school. He's in his last year of elementary school and his teacher advised Practical level, which is supposed to be meant for kids who can not do theoretical learning. And this is a kid who is really intelligent, but he's got Autism and goes to a sort of alternative school. I looked up the statistics and the average score on the end exam would put most kids at just below HAVO level, yet 2/3 of the students get pushed into Practical education. She's wanting to transfer her son to my son's school because they actually do a whole set of tests to see which school is the best fit, rather than just shunting them into the practical education so they don't have to deal with them. But that's definitely the exception and not the rule. In most cases, the teachers are good at estimating what a kid will score and which level they should be able to achieve.

MySmallWorldof4

Good morning everyone!
Here is my random thought for the morning:
Why is it that drinking Apple Cider is so much more satisfying than eating an apple?
Last night I had a talk glass of apple cider and man.....it was so delicious! :hungry::happy:
I have a juicer and juice apples everyday. Super delicious. Maybe when you eat an apple you are chewing so expending more energy rather when you just drink the juice. You can then maybe enjoy the flavor better because you are not also chewing?:hilarious:

Songbird76

So I just got the info for the first cheer competition next weekend in Baltimore. First off it is a 2 day, meaning they compete twice. That is a first for her team. Second, the Ravens are home on Sunday and driving will probably not be fun getting out of the area because the convention center is right near the stadium. Then I found out that the coach wants French braids for day 1. We need to arrive by 7:30 am to the venue. I live 90 minutes away. Can you imagine doing perfect braids a possibly 4:30 in the morning on an 8 year old? I am only spending Saturday night at a hotel by the convention center. Did not want to spend extra money on another night. Dh would not be happy about that anyway. Luckily I am a morning person. @StarWarsGirl , want to go to a cheer competition near home? :hilarious::joyfull:;)
Oh wow....they even tell you what hairstyle they have to have? What if you can't do a french braid??

MySmallWorldof4

T is limping today. He woke up, came in my room with a “Mom! Ouchohmygosh my legs are So Sore! I can’t walk.” and then briefly got distracted once we went down to see what St Nick left on the fireplace.

On the way to school he said “I can’t play kickball today, I think I broke my leg.”

“T, it’s just sore muscles. Your body doesn’t use all of those muscles all the time. Being sore is ok, it means the muscles are stretching and growing.”

“Well I don’t want them to burst out of my skin!”

:hilarious:
Oh I get it now. 25 days of Christmas? He gets a little something every day?

MySmallWorldof4

I won't be around much today... today is our "movie day" at work. We go to a local theatre, cater lunch, and then each person in the department goes to a movie of his/her choosing. It's truly a favorite day in our department. How am I involved? Well I'm in charge of the "fun team" for our department, and imparting mandatory fun! :hilarious:
What did you see? And how fun is that!:D

MySmallWorldof4

Oh, I know where you're talking about. Do they pay for parking or do you have to pay yourself?

If you have to park yourself, there's a garage called Down Under on Lombard street. It's super easy to get into and out of. It's also about a block away from the convention center. Staffed (though the staff will nag you to pay before you leave...*sigh*). Should be about $20 for the day.

You're actually a bit of a way from the stadium. Camden Yards and M&T Bank Stadium are right next to each other, and the convention center is on the Camden Yards side. I don't think you'll have it too bad leaving. People tend to leave the game in intervals, especially when it's cold out. Plus, you won't be near the main stadium parking lot.

Just watch out for idiots driving around the city (they like to do stupid stuff like change lanes in the middle of an intersection...) and if you have a chance, go check out the Inner Harbor. :)
I didn't even think about parking. I have a hotel for Saturday night at the Hilton right next to the convention center. I assumed I would park there, but of course that is for Saturday night. Thanks for the garage info and reminding me that I will need to park in a lot until I check in. I think maybe we will go to the aquarium in the afternoon. I am going to see what the mom who is sharing a room with us wants to do.

StarWarsGirl

I didn't even think about parking. I have a hotel for Saturday night at the Hilton right next to the convention center. I assumed I would park there, but of course that is for Saturday night. Thanks for the garage info and reminding me that I will need to park in a lot until I check in. I think maybe we will go to the aquarium in the afternoon. I am going to see what the mom who is sharing a room with us wants to do.
Yup, I know the place. Good location, right across the street from Camden Yards.

Downunder is the one to use if you can't park at your hotel. They usually have a weekend or event special. If you can, I would leave your car and Uber around the city, or walk.

Make sure that if you buy Aquarium tickets you get them well in advance.

21stamps

Glad it worked out. A little more advice, if I may? Only because I wish I had done this. Ask if it is ok to get some video. I see this frustration with my own kids in music, dance, things that they have trained in for awhile. It seems the longer they have been practicing and/or training, the more frustration builds. And, when I stop to think about it, it makes sense. You get to a point where you feel stagnant. Like nothing has changed, because the changes are so minute, they might not notice it. As my kids learn more, they tend to get more critical of themselves, too. It doesn't help if I tell them I hear or see improvement, because I am Mom, and they think I am just being nice. When you reach that point, video doesn't lie to make you feel better. Document here and there, if you can.

Thank you! I welcome all advice that I can get!!

Sometimes I ask my dog questions at night, he just stares at me. 😂 It’s nice to hear how other people deal with things. :)

21stamps

But it's 19 days until Christmas.
Oh I get it now. 25 days of Christmas? He gets a little something every day?

St. Nicholas Day is December 6th. He’s different from Santa. He leaves a stocking of fruit and goodies and a few small toys and a book. (At least in my House)

It’s not a day for bigger presents, and it’s not supposed to be from Santa’s list. T was thrilled, but of course said “It’s weird that St Nick brought me gifts that I asked for from Santa, right?”

Ugh. Huge mistake on my part. Especially since he just had a block of last semester dedicated to 12 Saints, and then a large test on them just before Thanksgiving.

21stamps

Here’s a bit of the test that I took a photo of the other day, I take photos of schoolwork and put them in a file with dates and teachers.

I feel like the stories of St Nick and Santa are confusing to little kids.. but I don’t remember ever being confused about it. Maybe I just feel that way as a parent.lol

7FBCCB46-AFBF-4ECA-AB63-4C9BDE99EF76.jpeg

Last edited:

MySmallWorldof4

St. Nicholas Day is December 6th. He’s different from Santa. He leaves a stocking of fruit and goodies and a few small toys and a book. (At least in my House)

It’s not a day for bigger presents, and it’s not supposed to be from Santa’s list. T was thrilled, but of course said “It’s weird that St Nick brought me gifts that I asked for from Santa, right?”

Ugh. Huge mistake on my part. Especially since he just had a block of last semester dedicated to 12 Saints, and then a large test on them just before Thanksgiving.
Ok. I get it now. What if you buy him the same gifts again and put them under the tree. Then when T opens them, he can say how weird that both got him the same thing. Then you can say, “Why don’t we donate the doubles?” Then he will say, “That is a great idea! Best Christmas ever!’:)

21stamps

Ok. I get it now. What if you buy him the same gifts again and put them under the tree. Then when T opens them, he can say how weird that both got him the same thing. Then you can say, “Why don’t we donate the doubles?” Then he will say, “That is a great idea! Best Christmas ever!’:)

That’s actually a fantastic idea, I wish I could do it, but I’m charitied out for this season.

I know that sounds horrible! We’ve just had so many drives and other required items from school the past few weeks. I get it, we’re at a catholic school and one of things I love about it is the charity aspect and teachings.. but this year they’ve gone over the top. A “new coat drive” as opposed to the “gently used” drives of the past couple of years. New hat and gloves- this one is annual. ‘New Toy’ drive. Honey Baked Ham Drive (we sponsor an inner city school’s holidays). Cookie Drive (store bought only). Pizza party for the inner city school is next week, that one is only $10pp. New Book drive. ‘ Money for the homeless shelter’ drive.

I’m not complaining about any of this, but I think they forget that we have our own personal preferred charities too, who are all calling me to up my monthly donations. I understand that too, it’s their job and they should be doing that.

But, Then there’s my kid. We do 1 gift from our church giving tree, and 1 from a courthouse every year.. this year I sent him up to the church tree by himself while I was chatting with another parent after mass. He comes back with 5 ornaments. All 8-10 year old boys, with the exception of one 3 year old girl. I almost fell over. He had instructions to pick 1.

I can’t do anything else at this time, or at least not a brand new pair of Nike Ronaldo Chapter 7’s and a Nintendo Switch game.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

I had an ex-nun that lived on the property catty-corner behind me. She then taught piano.
Pure Evil lady. I often wondered why she left the order. Then the Deacon moved in with her. He taught CCD with her on Saturdays. He explained to the middle schoolers that more explicitly than this, that they never had 'adult' type relationship 'cause she was Holy 'cause she was an ex-Nun. Crazy nuts.
Not something we usually brag about, but, my family was very religious, at one point we had my uncle in the Franciscan order one of my male cousins as a brother of christian instruction and two cousins that were actually sisters, becoming nuns (I don't remember what order). No one stayed and one of the sisters got pregnant after she had taken her vows of chastity. And they wonder, along with other reasons, why I am no longer associated with any organized religion. In my family it was all basically for show. My mother did pass away while she was talking to a priest. Scared the hell out of him, so to speak! I went to each of their weddings except the male cousin that had the personality of a wet towel and never married and died at age 60 of cirrhosis of the liver from way to much sacramental wine.

Goofyernmost

I wouldn't go. The point of a reunion is for all "groups" to go. Seems like the organizer is still too high schoolish.
Depends what year it is. I went to my 50th and of the 40 people that were there, I only hung out with 2 of them. However, time is the great equalizer and I now communicate with many of the others that were nowhere near me when I actually was in High School.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom